PDA

View Full Version : No Lock S&W 442s at OMB Express

brushy bill
03-15-10, 17:22
For those interested, OMB Express just received a shipment of S&W 442 NO LOCKs at $384 (good guy price). They only got 100, so not sure how long they will last. I'm picking up one this week and wanted to share the info for those who might want one. Link below:

http://www.expressguns.com/expressguns/email_blasts/157INEMF/email_blast_157INEMF.asp

ghettomedic
03-15-10, 21:42
Ordered 2. Great price.

jhs1969
03-16-10, 01:44
Is Smith making no-locks again or is this new-old-stock?

1911pro
03-16-10, 09:36
New models sold by police and law enforcement dealers only I beleive.

xtremejc
03-16-10, 10:18
Can anybody buy those 442's at the price listed or is that a officers/PD price only?

John_Wayne777
03-16-10, 12:33
New models sold by police and law enforcement dealers only I beleive.

There's a Smith LE dealer who frequents this forum...if Smith is offering these for LE purchase (which is, in my estimation UTTER BULLHONKEY BECAUSE THOSE WITHOUT A BADGE COULD ALSO USE A REVOLVER THAT DOESN'T SPONTANEOUSLY LOCK ON THEM) I'm sure he could hook you up.

brushy bill
03-16-10, 17:05
Can anybody buy those 442's at the price listed or is that a officers/PD price only?

Below is what I cut and paste from their website as qualifying for discount. Don't know how much difference the price would be for non-discount or if they sell firearms to everyone.

Personally, I agree with John Wayne...we all need a revolver that won't lock up regardless of what they do for a living...I hope there is a day when S&W listens to the consumer and drops the lock entirely.

•Police (any commissioned officer)
•Sheriff (commissioned or reserve)
•Military (All branches)
•Fire (including volunteer)
•Campus Security
•Corporate Security
•Private Security
•Coroner
•Airline Pilot

ST911
03-16-10, 19:45
There's a Smith LE dealer who frequents this forum...if Smith is offering these for LE purchase (which is, in my estimation UTTER BULLHONKEY BECAUSE THOSE WITHOUT A BADGE COULD ALSO USE A REVOLVER THAT DOESN'T SPONTANEOUSLY LOCK ON THEM) I'm sure he could hook you up.

This isn't the only release of the no-lock 442s. Another major distributor had them about a year ago and they were available to everyone. Cabelas had them as well. That's where I bought my last one.

I'm waiting for a no-lock 638.

Below is what I cut and paste from their website as qualifying for discount. Don't know how much difference the price would be for non-discount or if they sell firearms to everyone.

Personally, I agree with John Wayne...we all need a revolver that won't lock up regardless of what they do for a living...I hope there is a day when S&W listens to the consumer and drops the lock entirely.

•Police (any commissioned officer)
•Sheriff (commissioned or reserve)
•Military (All branches)
•Fire (including volunteer)
•Campus Security
•Corporate Security
•Private Security
•Coroner
•Airline Pilot

I wonder what further criteria exist for "Private Security", and the scrutiny a supplied credential would receive. Just sayin.

SeriousStudent
03-16-10, 20:00

I'm waiting for a no-lock 638.

PM sent.

ThirdWatcher
03-16-10, 20:34
Thanks for the heads up... just ordered one. :)

markdh720
03-17-10, 22:51
OK. I'll admit I'm not a revolver guy. What is the difference of a lock and no-lock? I have owned a 442 (bought it for OD carry) for about 4 years & am a little ashamed at how little I know about revolvers.

jhs1969
03-17-10, 23:33
OK. I'll admit I'm not a revolver guy. What is the difference of a lock and no-lock? I have owned a 442 (bought it for OD carry) for about 4 years & am a little ashamed at how little I know about revolvers.

A lock S&W revolver has a "hole" just above the cylinder latch that accepts a handcuff key (or similar) to "lock" the action, making the gun "safe". They are not in very high favor among many revlover fans. I've read of 3-5 failures of the lock, rendering the revolver un-operatable. I've also heard of some of these failures ejecting these parts back toward the shooter. I can not confirm these reports and I can't remember where I read them but they don't bold well for the lock capable revolvers. I am sure someone here knows more about this than me.

John_Wayne777
03-18-10, 08:37
The biggest problem is that the lock has been demonstrated to engage while the revolver is firing in a number of different guns. At first it was just the super light guns, but I've seen credible reports of even all steel J frames that have had the lock engage on them.

I have the 317 which is in .22LR...and I had the flag on that revolver partially raise after a long range session where I fired over 600 rounds through the pistol.

...on a .22.

I don't carry that gun so it wasn't a big deal for me...but there's no way in hell I would carry a locked revolver for serious social purposes.

RSS1911
03-18-10, 08:45
I picked up a No Lock 442 locally a couple months ago, albeit at a higher price.

It is the perfect pocket gun.

Combat_Diver
03-20-10, 01:38
I order a 442 no lock from Smith at the end of the year with their "military 40% off deal" still waiting on it to be delivered but I'm in no rush as I still have over 3 mos before I can pick it up. These are new production guns. They also make the Pro Series 442/642 cut for moon clips without the lock. It only seems that this year the no locks are all Centennials.

CD

Irish
03-22-10, 16:00
I called today and they are sold out. The person I spoke to says they will do non-LEO sales but it is typically an additional $50 added on to the advertised price. They have more on order so hopefully they'll be seeing another batch in the near future.