PDA

View Full Version : AR Piston Conversion Kit

Hitman45
03-15-10, 20:26
I am considering getting a piston conversion kit but I do not know which one to get. Are they all the same in the parts that you get and which is easier to work with, or should I just look about getting a piston upper instead? I have seen ads for Adams and CMMG, both for $299

bigb4015
03-16-10, 16:17
A buddy of mine runs a adams arms kit. It seems pretty reliable but I have heard of them failing.

No Bananas
03-19-10, 21:48
I have an AA KIt on my 10.5" AR. I got the kit (w/ one piece BC) when they had them on sale. Decided to try as an experiment. So far, 1000+ rounds, no failures. I've done plenty of rapid fire, but I haven't taken it to a course or any actual type of "torture test."

Hitman45
03-19-10, 22:09
Thanks for the info. The one from AA is that adams?

No Bananas
03-19-10, 22:22
Yes. Sorry, I'm used to the acronym. AA = Adams Arms www.adamsarms.net

Zeus
03-20-10, 08:27
My local shop is shooting the shit out of the Adams kits to see if they want to carry them. They have zero complaints thus far, and they are even less expensive than the Bushmaster kit. I'll be giving the Adams kit a try.

Hitman45
03-20-10, 13:01
Are they hard to install? I watched a video on YouTube and it did not look to bad.

Hitman45
03-23-10, 17:47
I just saw a kit from Osprey Defense, anyone heard of this one?

Zeus
03-24-10, 19:24
At this point, the newer Adams kits seem to be the way to go for Average Joe.

I only say this cause "my guru" who has more black rifles than many countries, has elevated his 11.5" Adams build to his all time favorite black rifle (and favorite machine gun/SBR). That means a lot if you knew the guy.

GIFFMANN
03-25-10, 10:18
I just brought 3 of the Adams Arms kits in for some customers to try on their Registered Lowers. I have not built them up yet, but the quality of the kit is very high. Looks like a lot of thought has gone into building them. The kits also come with a nice mini DVD on how to assemble the kit. I thought that was a nice touch.

Once they get some rounds down range I'll try to get a report posted.

varmint49
03-25-10, 17:26
I have the CMMG and it work great,In have not had a stopage yet.It is easy to install too.

jkingrph
03-25-10, 17:30
The Adams Arms unit uses a special gas block that holds the piston(cylinder moves and is extension of operating rod), has rail slots on top, and 3 positions to adjust for gas action. The Osprey unit uses a standard M-16/AR-15 front sight and replaces the gas tube, and has no provisions for gas functiion adjustment.

If you want standard front sight you go with the Osprey, rail block gas block= Adams.

C4IGrant
03-25-10, 18:02
I have never seen a drop in piston system worth anything (to date). Why you ask?

1. Piston needs to be pinned to the barrel.
2. Most barrels are way over gassed and not setup for piston use.
3. H2 or H3 buffer needs to be included with the piston system.
4. The cost does not provide enough features to warrant the added cost on top of a DI gun.

If you want a piston gun, great, but buy one that was designed from the ground up to be a piston (SCAR for instance).

When a piston part goes down, spare parts are typically rare. If something fails on a DI gun, parts are everywhere.

We stock over $500,000 woth of AR's and parts. Not ONE of them are parts for ANY piston system.

Just sayin.....

C4

varmint49
03-25-10, 19:22
I beg to differ on the piston, ..... it does not need to be pined to barrel.... if that is what you are saying the CMMG clamps to barrel with three screws, 2 on one side and 1 on the other side.

C4IGrant
03-25-10, 19:34
I beg to differ on the piston, ..... it does not need to be pined to barrel.... if that is what you are saying the CMMG clamps to barrel with three screws, 2 on one side and 1 on the other side.

The piston unit itself is trying to DESPERATELY to get off the end of the barrel. Pinning the piston onto the barrel is the only option for serious use. This is why the HK 416, S&W M&P PS(X), PWS, etc are all pinned on.

C4

varmint49
03-25-10, 19:51
Well mine only has 500 rounds through it and it has not moved one bit,so I guess I will have to wait and see,......I will post if it ever moves ,but I dout it will.

C4IGrant
03-25-10, 19:51
Well mine only has 500 rounds through it and it has not moved one bit,so I guess I will have to wait and see,......I will post if it ever moves ,but I dout it will.

500rds means that it is broken in. Come back after 10,000 and see how that piston is holding it up. Also make sure to run it through hald a dozen carbine schools as well.

Not every piston is going to walk off the barrel. I simply stated that all SERIOUS use guns should have the piston pinned on.

C4