PDA

View Full Version : **Update-DBT Low Vis Rig Reviewed** Featuring PMAG goodness and Pics!

BushmasterFanBoy
04-20-07, 18:48
First off, I've toyed around with my CTD chest rig a good bit, and I've found out what I like and what I don't.

****If you don't want to read what amounts to a review, you can skip to the bottom to see what I'm looking for in a rig****

For those of you who need to know what rig I'm talking about here it is:http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE136-44932-1572.html

First off, my biggest complaint has got to be the shoulders on it. I appreciate the padding, but when I go to shoulder my carbine, I have to be careful to place it directly on the padding and keep it there, lest it slip off. Also, if I'm unlucky, I'll miss the padding and it will be outside of my shoulder, almost on my arm, and I ain't happy with that.

Second, I have no need for a two piece front system, I've had it tied up with shoestrings since about week 1 of having it. It is too big of a hassle IMHO.

Third, this is somewhat minor, but I dislike the giant plastic buckles placed right behind a left and right mag pouch. It makes access a tad harder, nothing big, but prevalent enough that I'm looking for a rig without it or located somewhere else (possibly on the back altogether rather than the front).

There are some things I do like though

First, I love the mag pouches. I used ALICE prior to this and this is a great improvement over the three-mag pouches with "silent" pinch tabs. I love the elastic, as well as the fact that it is integrated into the chest rig itself. I love having 6 basic pouches already integrated into the rig. They are too shallow though, and I've been using an insert to keep my mags easy to reach. Also, the drain hole is slowly tearing out of the nylon.

Second, I like the bib. It is kind of nice to have another pocket at chest level, and also with more molle webbing as well. I didn't like the button method of attachment, though, and the bib hung a bit, catching the bottom of my M4 stock at one point while going prone. I'd call it an isolated occurance though. I think it is a nice feature, but It wouldn't break my heart to go without one on my next rig.

Third, I like having the hydration pack in the back. I haven't even gotten a camelback yet, but I'm quite certain this is a good feature to keep when I go for another rig.

Thats it about the CTD chest rig, here's what I'm looking for in a new set-up.

1. 6 integrated mag pouches- I love having them in the chest rig, it works great. I'm not going below six. I want to force a 210 rnd minimum load out.
2. elastic mag retention- bungee loops are excellent for me, I despise any kind of flap system now
3. thin shoulder supports- I don't want padded shoulder support so that my rifle can slip off of it when I go to shoulder it. Something thin, but also somewhat wide across would do great
4. No buckle immediately behind any mag pouches- I've never used the CTD buckles and it just got in the way, if only slightly, during reloads
5. Hydration support I'd love if I could find such a rig with camelback support in the back, with molle webbing on that to boot.

I've looked at some rigs, and so far, none can meet all my criteria.
This is the rig I am eyeing up though: http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/BattleLab-Low-Vis-Rack-with-MOLLE-LV3-P801C90.aspx

My only issues with it is a lack of a camelback carrier. I was wondering if there is a way to attach one, without introducing padded shoulder supports?

Also there is the Esstac bush boar, but it not only doesn't have a hydration carrier, it has the same buckle issue as the CTD rig from the pictures I've seen.

If you are looking for the DBT review, it is at the bottom of this page.

Range Report is on page two.
Pmag update and pics are on page three.

Fongman
04-20-07, 19:15
How about the ESSTAC Boar (8mag) or Bush Boar (6mag)...

Damn just read that doesn't meet your needs.

I've also used the HSGI Warlord, but don't think you'd like the shoulder straps...

BushmasterFanBoy
04-20-07, 19:44
My biggest concern is whether the battlelabs rig will hold up to some real use. I'm kinda leary about buying a $65 piece of kit if its just gonna be like the CTD rig and end up not being a real solution, but just another stepping stone to what I really want.

To be fair, the Bush Boars buckles look like they use a different system of adjustment, however. The CTD buckles had the excess nylon rolled up right behind the buckle, kind of pushing it out, obstructing the mag pouch. The BB seems to let the excess out at a point on the back. This may keep the buckle "flatter" to the chest, keeping the mag pouch less obstructed. If anyone has experience, that would be great.

Snake RAH
04-21-07, 21:51
I think this is what you're looking for: TAG Gladiator Rig (http://www.tacticalassaultshop.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/product.html&setup=1&ida=216&idp=16&his=0|16&cart_id=8608398.876)

M4Guru
04-22-07, 11:21
DBT stuff is as good as anything ese on the market, and in some cases better. The DBT rig will not fall apart.

BushmasterFanBoy
04-22-07, 12:15
I think this is what you're looking for: TAG Gladiator Rig (http://www.tacticalassaultshop.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/product.html&setup=1&ida=216&idp=16&his=0|16&cart_id=8608398.876)

First off, it does fix the two piece issue, and it still has the hydration pack, which is good. Problem is that it still has the two large buckles in front, and it uses very large buckles on the side (I don't imagine I'd like the buckles that big on the side) and it still has shoulder padding.

Since the battlelabs rig looks about as close as I'll get, is there a way to attach a bladder to the back, or will it be thin enough at the shoulder to put on another pack with a bladder, and not have a solid inch of webbing on my shoulders?

My goal is to have my mags and stuff in front with easy access, bladder in the rear, and keep my shoulder supports thin enough to shoulder and fire my carbine naturally.

M4Guru
04-22-07, 15:38
It wouldn't be hard to modify one of the to take a bladder on the back. Any decent sew shop with industrial machines should handle it.

TimW
04-23-07, 13:08
Diamondback Tactical's Battlelab stuff is well built and head-and-shoulder above that rig you had.

Or you can try the SOTech Falcon Mk1. 6 internal mag pockets, plenty of PALS webbing and a 1 piece design.

In fact, that POS Cheaper than Dirt rig you had is a knock-off of it.

Since I am not an advertiser here, I can't list anything, but the Falcon Mk1 rigs are out there.

militarymoron
04-23-07, 13:48
you can also try putting the buttstock inboard of the shoulder pad - closer to your centerline, so the shoulder pad actually prevents the butt from slipping outwards.

BushmasterFanBoy
04-23-07, 15:08
you can also try putting the buttstock inboard of the shoulder pad - closer to your centerline, so the shoulder pad actually prevents the butt from slipping outwards.
IIRC, that cheek weld is designed to be used with plate carriers, specifically when presenting the broad front to the target and thus the plate surface, as well as keeping the vulnerable under arms concealed from the target. (Thats my understanding of it, I could be wrong, I'm no gear expert, I'm just trying to get something that fits me. Besides that's a whole topic in itself for another thread, and it wouldn't make much sense to hi-jack my own thread.;) ) That doesn't suit me too well, although I do find myself with that cheekweld quite often when using the CTD rig, like I said it slips one way or the other, either towards my arm or into the chest/collarbone area. Personally I like my good ol fashioned shoulder contact, and I don't see a reason to learn the other way, as I'm nowhere near the funds for a plate carrier.:)

militarymoron
04-23-07, 16:21
there are other advantages to a more squared-off upper body than the plate thing - depending on what kind of shooting you do. lack of a plate carrier isn't the reason why you shouldn't consider learning both techniques, unless you plan on sticking to static, slow fire target practice.

BushmasterFanBoy
04-23-07, 17:23
there are other advantages to a more squared-off upper body than the plate thing - depending on what kind of shooting you do. lack of a plate carrier isn't the reason why you shouldn't consider learning both techniques, unless you plan on sticking to static, slow fire target practice.

Can you IM me some resources on this? I've been using the whole lean in when firing for some time, but the squaring away my torso element just doesn't feel right.:confused: I'm interested but I don't wanna clog the main thread. (Never hurts to learn more:cool: )

M4Guru
04-23-07, 17:32
Putting the buttstock more towards your centerline can do wonders for your recoil control and follow up shots. It's kind of funky at first until you get it down, but some people do very well, especially smaller statured shooters.

BushmasterFanBoy
04-23-07, 17:59
Right now holding my rifle here is my stance: torso is facing about 30 degrees to the right of the target, both feet are nearly perpendicular to the target, my left foot is more forward than the right foot, my legs are almost into a slight kneel towards the target, and my rifle is straight ahead, the stock is inwards to the point it is just beyond the ball of my shoulder, no chicken wing, elbows in, and my left arm is the same, with elbows tucked in, leaning forward with my upper body. I hope you guys can imagine this. :confused:

BTW, I'm right handed.

This is how I've been shooting for some time, lets see if I've been doing it right.:D

Snake RAH
04-24-07, 00:03
If you put the buttstock more towards your centerline like folks are suggesting, remember to bring your stock in. I don't know how you shoot, but I see a lot of folks running their telestocks all the way out. To get nose to charging handle head position, they end up in a bladed stance (instead of squared in relation to the target).

I'm 6'2" and run the stock on the second click out from all the way in. That position works for 99% of the shooting I do (prone, kneeling, sitting, standing).

BushmasterFanBoy
04-24-07, 05:36
If you put the buttstock more towards your centerline like folks are suggesting, remember to bring your stock in. I don't know how you shoot, but I see a lot of folks running their telestocks all the way out. To get nose to charging handle head position, they end up in a bladed stance (instead of squared in relation to the target).

I'm 6'2" and run the stock on the second click out from all the way in. That position works for 99% of the shooting I do (prone, kneeling, sitting, standing).

I go for third click from fully collapsed most of the time.

ETA: I just placed an order for the battlelabs rig, hopefully it turns out great.:D

Here is a hydration carrier that I hop might work. http://optactical.com/spbrhuhyutmu.html

BushmasterFanBoy
05-14-07, 14:37
Ok, I got the rig today. (Took 12 days, from order confirmation to doorstep, if you are concerned with that.)

First impression:

MY GOD! CAN THEY MAKE MAG POUCHES ANY TIGHTER! The bungee was incredibly tight, and even after loosening each tab to the limit, it is still much tighter than anything I would imagine to be practical. The mag pouches themselves are ungodly hard to get mags into. They are just too tight. I don't know if this is wrong, I wouldn't expect it to be, but darn it, I can't emphasize how tight these pouches are! Is there a "right" way to use the bungee tab, and maybe I'm doing it wrong?

Everything else is good, buckles are good quality, material is good as well. The bungee tabs have a grippy material sewn onto them, which is good in my book. The shoulder supports are thin, exactly as I wanted them. In addition, they cross over in the back, keeping them pretty close to the collar, so my shoulders are unhampered by anything, even the thin straps.

Overall, I'd say its pretty good, I'd be in heaven right now if those darn pouches weren't so tight!!!!:mad:

Anyone got any tips that might help me out?

tiger seven
05-14-07, 15:12
I briefly owned that very same DBT rig. It was comfortable and well-made, but I didn't like the super-tight pouches either. The bungees were so tight they were nearly impossible to get over the mags, and then equally difficult to pull off. I had to force the mags down into the pouches and then it was an ordeal to yank them out. I took the bungees off completely and relied just on the grippy stuff (what does DBT call it?) lining the pouches for retention. That worked okay, but I just wasn't crazy about the whole set-up.

I'm sure they loosen up a bit with use and then work well, but I sold mine and moved on. I was looking for a fairly simple "low-speed" rig to use for some training classes but that certainly wasn't the one for me. I'm sure some of the more experienced members here can help with your problem, and hopefully you can get it to work for you.

Derek

BushmasterFanBoy
05-14-07, 17:03
I briefly owned that very same DBT rig. It was comfortable and well-made, but I didn't like the super-tight pouches either. The bungees were so tight they were nearly impossible to get over the mags, and then equally difficult to pull off. I had to force the mags down into the pouches and then it was an ordeal to yank them out. I took the bungees off completely and relied just on the grippy stuff (what does DBT call it?) lining the pouches for retention. That worked okay, but I just wasn't crazy about the whole set-up.

I'm sure they loosen up a bit with use and then work well, but I sold mine and moved on. I was looking for a fairly simple "low-speed" rig to use for some training classes but that certainly wasn't the one for me. I'm sure some of the more experienced members here can help with your problem, and hopefully you can get it to work for you.

Derek

I took your advice adn removed the bungees. They are a lot easier to pull out now. Thankfully, they don't seem to want to come out on their own, either. I'll use it this way for a while, but I may add the bungees again sometime, if they get too loose and start falling out. (Doubtful:p )

Dave L.
05-15-07, 19:53

Derek

Derek,
Are you saying the mags are in too tight for classes/matches or real life stuff?
I'm interested in the DBT one also...eventually all nylon will loosen up(even the bungies wear out).
Personally, I prefer tighter pouches- but if it is as tight as you say cutting off the bungies and adding ranger plates may help. Do the bungies move out of the way enough to not have to cut them?
Thanks,
Dave

tiger seven
05-15-07, 21:02
Derek,
Are you saying the mags are in too tight for classes/matches or real life stuff?
I'm interested in the DBT one also...eventually all nylon will loosen up(even the bungies wear out).
Personally, I prefer tighter pouches- but if it is as tight as you say cutting off the bungies and adding ranger plates may help. Do the bungies move out of the way enough to not have to cut them?
Thanks,
Dave

I was planning on using it for a class. I didn't like the fact that I had to use excessive force just to get the mags in to the pouches. When I went to pull one out, it would just jerk the whole rig up and I was left there looking like a jackass tugging on my mag. :o

I'm sure it would loosen up but honestly I didn't own it long enough to find out. At first I just tried leaving the bungees out of the way (to the side) but I always got things tangled up. It was easy to remove the bungees (without cutting them) so I tried it that way. The pouches are lined in something sort of like grip tape, so there was plenty of retention without the bungees. There was no permanent modification, so it would not be hard to reattach the bungees once things loosened up a bit. I put the bungees back on mine before I sold it, so I know it's not hard to do.

It really was a pretty nice rig, simple and well built. It just wasn't right for me I guess.

Derek

BushmasterFanBoy
05-15-07, 22:59
I tried to add the bungees again, it certainly wasn't a hassle to add them again, though my fingers are raw after doing it a second time.:o

I wanted to add them to to be extra secure, but as much as it pains my near bleeding fingers, they just aren't needed. I've since removed them.... again.:eek:

One thing that bugs me though is that the pouches on the left and right sides are what I would call normal, and the rest of the pouches in the middle are what I would call pretty tight.

That is, except for a pouch 2nd from the leftmost one. This pouch is horribly tight. I've worked it to the point where inserting the mag isn't too tough, but when you pull it out, as the above poster said, it jerks the whole rig up. This is with empty mags though, so I'd hope the mass of the other mags would help keep the rig down when the others are loaded.

My mag grabbing order coincidentally is helpful here, as I work left to right, and this happens to be my second mag I go to, giving me four other mags to counter-balance the "jerk" from pulling the 2nd mag. Also the first mag is really easy to get to compared to the others, so at least I'll be able to manage one reload OK.:D

Dave L.
05-16-07, 10:45
I know exactly what you guys are saying about DBT stuff. It's really high quality stuff...except the QC of the fit is always hit or miss. I ordered 3 compass/strobe pouches and all three were just a little different (one would fit an etrex, one would fit a compass, the other would only fit a knife/leatherman). I just feel better knowing that every piece of gear they sell has that little American flag sewn into it...even if it means longer break in time.

OP: great thread, always nice to hear detailed info on gear.
S/F,
Dave

Dave L.
05-18-07, 00:34
I just emailed a rep at DBT the link to this thread- they thanked me and were not aware of these problems and they will be looking into them ASAP.
This is a good lesson- if you have a problem with gear from a reputable manufacturer, let them know...they really don't want to piss off the end user(unless it's blackhawk; when they will just send you a brand new piece of sh$t;) )

BushmasterFanBoy
05-19-07, 10:00
Well after working with it for some time, the 2nd pouch is loosening up. Its now just a tad tighter than the others (depends which one, they are somewhat varied in tightness) Its at the point now where it doesn't jerk the rig up anymore. The pouches are still tight enough to keep the mags pretty secure, the only way I've got them to fall out on their own is by flipping it upside down and just letting it dangle for about 3 seconds. I'm pretty satisfied with that retention without the bungee loops so I'll wear em like this till they get loose enough that they need the bungees then I'll just add them back on.

C4IGrant
05-19-07, 10:23
Here is my personal opinion on chest rigs and it is worth what you paid for it. Unless your running plates, avoid them. As a Civy, just get a padded belt and put 2-3 AR mag pouches on it along with 2-3 pistol pouches and maybe a dump pouch and call it a day.

I have owned and do own several chest rigs and are really overkill for about 99% of the training you will do. The less crap strapped to you, the better off you are and will get more from the training.

C4

Dave L.
05-19-07, 19:47
Here is my personal opinion on chest rigs and it is worth what you paid for it. Unless your running plates, avoid them. As a Civy, just get a padded belt and put 2-3 AR mag pouches on it along with 2-3 pistol pouches and maybe a dump pouch and call it a day.

I have owned and do own several chest rigs and are really overkill for about 99% of the training you will do. The less crap strapped to you, the better off you are and will get more from the training.

C4

You couldn't be more right Grant. However, for some us(like me), I hate stuff on my waist. I would say the "chest rig" set-up is a real money make when you are always in and out of vehicles. You are right on with the overkill part, I could just never get my pants to stay up without suspenders- so I just went back to wearing about 85% on my chest and 15% of my gear on my waist.

OP, sorry for the total highjack- keep me posted I'm really interested in the DBT LV-3 rig...it's about the cheapest way to hold 6 mags close. I'm really interested in how it breaks in.

BushmasterFanBoy
05-19-07, 20:52
You couldn't be more right Grant. However, for some us(like me), I hate stuff on my waist. I would say the "chest rig" set-up is a real money make when you are always in and out of vehicles. You are right on with the overkill part, I could just never get my pants to stay up without suspenders- so I just went back to wearing about 85% on my chest and 15% of my gear on my waist.

OP, sorry for the total highjack- keep me posted I'm really interested in the DBT LV-3 rig...it's about the cheapest way to hold 6 mags close. I'm really interested in how it breaks in.

I was planning on a range report this weekend but it may have to wait, don't worry I'll keep this updated.;)

C4IGrant
05-20-07, 12:51

If your wearing a last resort type riggers best and then a form of tactical belt (with Pad) you couldn't keep your pants up? I do not have this issue at all.

Another down side to a chest harness is shooting prone.

C4

Boss Hogg
05-30-07, 21:24
After taking the 5-6May LAV AK class, it seems the consensus among several students was that:

1) chest rigs look cool
2) chest rigs get in the way
3) chest rigs offer slower reloads
4) thigh pouch such as the 3 mag Blackhawk hip pouch or similar is much more practical for civilian or LEO use, as is a mag pouch on a belt.

Overall, if I had to choose one type, I'd probably go with DBT's E&E bag because you can store 6 mags and grab it when the SHTF.

Dave L.
05-30-07, 22:08
After taking the 5-6May LAV AK class, it seems the consensus among several students was that:

1) chest rigs look cool
2) chest rigs get in the way
3) chest rigs offer slower reloads
4) thigh pouch such as the 3 mag Blackhawk hip pouch or similar is much more practical for civilian or LEO use, as is a mag pouch on a belt.

Overall, if I had to choose one type, I'd probably go with DBT's E&E bag because you can store 6 mags and grab it when the SHTF.

Once again, its all about purpose. Chest rigs serve many purposes if they don't serve your purpose, don't wear one. If you are in and out of vehicles they are great. If you shoot from the prone they suck...but if you are shooting from the prone wouldn't you be a sniper or a DM? I don't know many people who carried carbines that would put themselves in a stationary position like prone during a gun fight...and I don't know any snipers or DM's who wear chest rigs.
Gear on hips works if you don't run body armor and are not in and out of vehicles. But wearing too much on your thighs will get really old really fast if you have to run( I challenge anyone to put a drop holster on one leg, and on the other leg a drop pouch containing 3 to 4 AR mags with 28 rds. each and then sprint 100 yards...if you don't know what I'm talking about).

Now if all you do is take Civy classes without too many endurance drills- then go with what ever makes you more proficient.

If you are in a specific job field that requires this type of equipment I have always believed it's best to ask the guys who have been doing it the longest why they chose the gear they use. The "cadre" are always the best source of info on gear and equipment and can save you a ton of money with about 10 minutes of advice.

Personally, I have a little of everything, because we will never be able to choose the situation (specific gear has a specific use) you have to be prepared.

BushmasterFanBoy
06-02-07, 16:12
Finally took it out to the range today. I used the elastic bungees, they didn't get in the way at all. All mag pouches seem to be loose enough now. Didn't have any issues with the straps or lack of padding at all. Reloads were a breeze, even when prone. Just slide the bungee off and pull your mag out, no problems at all, even with the mysteriously tight "2nd" pouch, which I believe is finally worn in. Great setup for 6 mags. Nothing more, nothing less. If I manage to, I might get some DBT mag pouches for my other AR mags, and see how much more I can comfortably fit on this rig. So far, I'd say this setup will remain easy on the shoulders through 300 rounds carried on it.

Stephen_H
06-04-07, 12:48
I don't know many people who carried carbines that would put themselves in a stationary position like prone during a gun fight...

When lead starts flying up and down the two way range you will attempt to present as small a target as possible. I promise you this. If that means lying upside down in a pool of toxic waste you'll do it (assuming the fight lasts more than about 2 seconds). Occasionally it means going prone behind a 6" concrete curb. Not all gunfights are the bank robbery scene from 'Heat.'

Stephen

Dave L.
06-04-07, 13:30
When lead starts flying up and down the two way range you will attempt to present as small a target as possible. I promise you this. If that means lying upside down in a pool of toxic waste you'll do it (assuming the fight lasts more than about 2 seconds). Occasionally it means going prone behind a 6" concrete curb. Not all gunfights are the bank robbery scene from 'Heat.'

Stephen

No Sir, You are correct- Not all happen like heat(good thing for LE)
I was just speaking from a military counter insurgency point of view(the whole "shoot, move, communicate" thing).

Personally, I just never felt comfortable being shot at while I was in a stationary position- personal preference I guess. But as always, "situation dictates":rolleyes:

BushmasterFanBoy
06-06-07, 18:33
Yesterday I noticed that one portion of stitching about 1" long had given out. It was to the left of where the left hand shoulder strap came down to meet the back of the rig. Right behind the 1st and second mags. It was a one inch long portion of stitching that had given out, nothing too big considering there was a second row of stitching still intact about 1/4" right below it that still kept that 1" portion of fabric closed up, but I want to be as detailed as possible in my assessment of this rig. To be clear, there would still have been NO problem using this rig if it had not been fixed, I just like to keep my stuff maintained. (If you need a better description, along the back of this rig the two layers of fabric are sewn together with two rows of stitching running across the top, sides, and bottom of the back. The top row on the top of the backing had given out in a one inch segment to the left of the left shoulder strap. Very minor, but I felt it needed to repaired, and thus needed to be mentioned)

It was easily remedied by taking some OD thread and resewing the two layers of fabric in the rear back together in the 1" segment where the top row of stitching gave out. Easily done, 5 minutes tops. No big deal, just some time with needle and thread fixed 'er up, singed the loose ends of the original nylon thread, it shouldn't be doing anything now.

Anything that goes wrong will be reported and I can assure you that I'll be keeping everyone updated about this piece of gear. I'm still very satisfied and can't see myself really ever getting rid of this.

BTW, since I'm thinking about it, does anyone know where to get that bungee cord used in the mag bungees?

BushmasterFanBoy
07-20-07, 20:08
Figured I'd give everyone an apdate while I'm here. I've had this rig and been using it fairly often. (Whenever I go to the range and then during dry-fire drills.)

It's held up great. The shoulder straps feel very nice, I've used electrical tape to secure the keeper/excess adjustment portion of the strap. It keeps it from being undone, as well as making sure it stays the same length.

The straps have a tendency to dig into your neck if you aren't wearing a shirt with a collar though. The rig hasn't worn at all since the incident I noted, its been working great for me.

Bottom line, if you want 6 mags in an integrated chest rig with thin shoulder straps, go for this. The only draw back is the tight bungees, and then they aren't an issue if you use it often.

Stickman
07-21-07, 12:47

Stephen

Perimeter work is another thing to remember.

Alpha Sierra
07-21-07, 18:52
I just bought a similar one, except it has only space for four mags and has a few more flap pockets.

So far loading it out, and adding camelbak, carbine and sidearm, it seems like it's pretty functional. No issues mounting the rifle, swinging the rifle out to support side for transitions, and drawing sidearm.

I also noticed the very tight mag pouches and I also re-tied the bungees to get as much slack as I could. It seems they free up a bit after four or five mag insertions/deployments. Maybe the sticky coating is wearing out just a bit?

I'll be using it at a 10-8 carbine class in two weeks, so maybe AAR to follow on it here.

This is what I got:
http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/images/CamelTan/BLPF20-2LV2%20CT.jpg

BushmasterFanBoy
07-21-07, 19:10
I just bought a similar one, except it has only space for four mags and has a few more flap pockets.

So far loading it out, and adding camelbak, carbine and sidearm, it seems like it's pretty functional. No issues mounting the rifle, swinging the rifle out to support side for transitions, and drawing sidearm.

I also noticed the very tight mag pouches and I also re-tied the bungees to get as much slack as I could. It seems they free up a bit after four or five mag insertions/deployments. Maybe the sticky coating is wearing out just a bit?

I'll be using it at a 10-8 carbine class in two weeks, so maybe AAR to follow on it here.

This is what I got:
http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/images/CamelTan/BLPF20-2LV2%20CT.jpg

How fast do you do transitions? When I'm using just my carbine I prefer a "purse" carry with the rifle sling over my left shoulder, so it naturally rides my right side. But when I put on the 6004, I do a chest carry, but the carbine hits my mags, giving it a good scraping. (you can see me thread about it in general AR) Just curious to see what you're doing considering the open pouches and all.

Alpha Sierra
07-21-07, 21:00
How fast do you do transitions?
I don't know how fast I am, but I do not let my rifle hang in front of me. I forcibly swing it around to my left with my left hand as the right reaches for the pistol. As I clear leather, the left hand is off the rifle and coming back to meet the right. I sling up with a BFG VCAS: sling comes off left side of receiver plate, over my right shoulder, behind my neck, under left armpit and up to side swivel on FSB.

BushmasterFanBoy
12-28-07, 23:34
I have just gotten some Pmags today, and it has been one challenge after another to get these puppies to fit my pouches. First, I've inserted one with the widened floorplate into an Eagle FB pouch in and out several times, got the kydex nice and loosened up now. So now I have one quick reload and a compact six mag chest reservoir.

The DBT rig pouches are a whole different animal. After having it for this long, the pouches are all pretty well off with Gi mags, but that changes today with the PMags. Most of them do OK (not great, just OK), however, the 2nd pouch from the left is getting bothersome. It's impossible to do a quick reload with it, even with all other mags loaded, it still jerks the whole rig upward. Thank goodness the Pmags have big floorplates and a semi-grippy texture, or this would be a lost effort.

All other pouches are still pretty tight, but I'm used to that by now. However, the "waffle" ridges rub against each other, sometimes creating a "washboard" sound when I pull a mag out.

To the P-mags credit however, it does have a flat floorplate, which is an issue when bungees tend to bind on the bottom of USGI mags. Also, the floorplates are wider, making reloads easier to grab securely.

I'm not sure how much looser I can get the 2nd pouch. I really don't want to use a different rig just to get past this problem, after using a TT MAV setup with Specter single pouches, I can appreciate why I liked the DBT rig so much.

Dave L.
12-29-07, 06:39
2 months after I told DBT that these pouches were too tight I ordered one. I can fit P-Mags in mine no problem. Had to adjust the bungees because P-Mags are a little taller than USGI. Mine has been great, I've been using it for all my lo-pro stuff and you can still hit the prone in it. My only complaint is the shoulder straps dig into your neck big time.
However as far as the rest of BattleLab stuff goes, it's still great quality but many pouches I ordered were too tight or didn't thread long enough because the snaps didn't line up correctly. I'll be mailing some mag pouches back to them next month when I leave this shit hole.
I wear mine over a 3A w/Plates:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o309/laninga66/NoLook2.jpg

BushmasterFanBoy
12-29-07, 19:40
Here is a pic of how my current Rig is set up.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd283/Burke888/DBTRig-2.jpg

I've worked the 2nd pouch looser, all of them work OK now. (not perfect, but good enough)

mattjmcd
12-31-07, 13:21

C4

I am coming to agree with this.

I will say, though, that the chest rig (especially a "low viz" style like the DBT offerings) does stand out in one area for the civvie shooter- it is pretty concealable. You can easily carry 6 rifle mags and 3-6 pistol mags and other sundry gear in this kind of rig and then put even a light coat over the whole thing and most folks standing 10-20 yds away would be none the wiser.

Diz
01-01-08, 09:31
To chest rig or not to chest rig. Some people like them, some don't. I think it should be pretty obvious by now that each person has his own individual needs and I commend B-fan for actually getting out there and training to see exactly what works for him.

I have run "battle belts" and I have run chest rigs. Like 'em both. What it comes down to is how I see myself using a carbine these days. I am usually armed with a G-19 and associated gear, so I already have a pretty full rigger's belt. So running another battlebelt doesn't make much sense (for me). I need something that I can throw over my CCW gear, and a chest rig fits the bill nicely.

If I was starting from the git-go armed with a carbine then I suppose I could add a 3-mag pouch (or two) to my belt and be set, especially in really hot weather. Or even go with a full up battle belt. But for now the chest rig makes sense, especially the low-profile rig, which is also easy to prone out in.

stoicdoc
03-27-08, 22:47
This rig was made for my unit 2BCT 325th AIR, 82nd Airborne Division. I think it has everything that you want. www.practicaltactical.net has it for 175.00
I will post pics of mine asap with everything on it... hope this helps...

http://www.practicaltactical.net/prostores/servlet/-strse-253/SO-Tech-Falcon-MkI/Detail