PDA

View Full Version : Just Wondering(?)

DrScooter
03-16-10, 19:30
Indulge me with your opinions. Presently, I have a Bushmaster Predator, pretty much stock, an extended charging handle to get under the scope and a Harris Bipod. I'm not a hunter, shoot mostly at a State range and had moved to the Predator after shooting a R-55 T/C 22, which was fun and cheap but any shot at ranges passed 75 yards was pretty poor. I've been shooting "commie guns" for fun and have SKS and a reworked Hungarian AK with a side folding stock.

I like the Predator and "might" keep it but what I have in mind is I can get a Middy BCM Upper, with the Hammer Forged Barrel and a Gunfighter Charging handle set up around $700 it lacks only the front hand guard. I was thinking (the first time IS the hardest) for shy of $70 I can get either the UTG standard Modular Rail OR the same rail except "Free Float" which would take a gunsmith (if you factor in my skills) to mount. I don't really plan to hang a bunch of stuff on it but could make it sort of a cross between a Carbine and the Predator.

For those who like these battle rails I'd like your opinion and for those who don't like them, I'd like your opinions too. I know the UTG tend to be a bit heavy, more than likely I will mount my Harris Bipod from the Predator and if this build seems like a reasonable compromise I "might" sell the Predator upper and go with this BCM and Bushy Bottom as it has a nice trigger. For the time being I will keep the two uppers and dwell on this, I think.

Lee Indy
03-16-10, 19:35
if you are on the cheap and still want quality get the magpul moe guards. got a little extra cash and and feeling the free float bug get the troy trx

bkb0000
03-16-10, 19:40
UTG makes airsoft toy parts.. not firearm components. they should not even be considered.

Failure2Stop
03-16-10, 19:48
You're buying a real gun right?
Get a real rail.
You will sleep better at night.

rob_s
03-17-10, 05:30
I have said this before, but I would rather have a quality base rifle with standard plastic furniture than an Olympic slathered in Crapco for the same overall price. In this case, just because you start with a quality base rifle (or upper) does not mean that you get a free pass to bolt sub-par products to it.

If you're bound and determined to have a rail/tube on this gun (which I wouldn't be, personally) get yourself a Troy Extreme 9.0 which sells for about $170. If you don't have $170 to spend on it, get yourself a set of $30 plastic mid-length handguards and "make do".

epf
03-17-10, 09:22
You dont need to make the decision now. You could always run a standard plastic or MOE HG while you learn more about tubes and rails as well as benefits and drawbacks. Then have the FSB cut down and rail/tube installed later. It may cost you a few extra dollars for the Plastic HGs in the short term, but choosing a rail you are ultimately not happy with would be worse.

As you become interested in specific brands of rails, try the search function here. There are threads on nearly every product available.

Good luck

DrScooter
03-17-10, 10:57
Thanks, all. Really my first intention was not to go with any rails. I got the Predator as I wanted something for some longer range off the bench, pretend I was a sniper at least on paper targets. To that end like the Predator, with a decent (not great) scope 6.5-20X50 and a Harris Bipod at the range at 100 yds (max-there) it's all around lethal, a bit heavy at under 9 pounds but all around fun for me.

The original plan was to add an upper for more casual target plinkin' probably a Red-Dot and BUIS with a "standard" rail, using the Predator bottom end to start. I actually picked up a CMMG M4 upper, not to mention names but Cals advertised a complete "chromed upper" with 4150 1/7 however, due to "manufacturer "error" snt me a WASP 1/9 4140 they did refund my money.

I'm really more interested in a Carbine like upper, although I had wanted a Dissapator originally (seems hard to get) and seemingly BCM offers a pretty nice "Middy" where the Hammer Forged Barrel is about an extra $75.

I'm kind of in agreement that perhaps the basic front end makes sense, I don't feel I have much need for too much gear to hang, I felt if I really want a light, which I don't think I do I can hand it off the front sights. I'm more inclined to a Red-Dot, perhaps change it out with a lower power scope should that choice be made. The Predator is fun for reaching way out (hope to find a longer range to shoot).

Also I'm not looking for a H/D weapon, lead a rather suburban life in a quiet area, however, should the need be I have a quick release safe with a CZ PO1 rigged with a SureFire Laser/Light Combo and proper ammo so it's not going through any walls. The AR is a new toy. I sure like my "commie" gun and I know it'salmost impossible for it not to go bang but the AR clearly "places" shots on target.

Thanks for the information, I've read the BCM plastic grips are nothin' to write home about and seem to be out of stock, suggestion would be Magpul(?) any other to consider?

Thanks again, just trying to keep up with the learning curve.

One other question, recently others have noted a "light weight" BCM middy, it's lighter, I get that (how much) cheaper, (that's always good) not Hammer Forged (probably really won't matter to me, but I'm a buy and keep kind of guy) so continuing on accepting advise, got any?

rob_s
03-17-10, 11:10
My current BCM (http://m4chart.com/8343/59827.html), which uses the Cavarms C8 handguards (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26340/Product/AR_15_HANDGUARDS), will be getting swapped for one of the new lightweights most likely.

JonnyVain
03-17-10, 11:31
ADCO just came out with a Dissipator barrel. You can get an entire upper from them (Barrel, upper, Daniel Defense BCG) for $700.

Kudos on the P01 btw :) Nice gun.

The mid and rifle length MOE handguards aren't out yet. If you want those, I'd just pick up the cheapest ones you can find (cav arms probably) until the MOE come out.

m-4 5.56
03-17-10, 18:13
I have had utg rails on a rifle ,and they were o.k,but if you are serious I would get a set of two piece free float guards from M I , I have them on a colt 6920 ,they are super easy to put on also so you don't have to take to a smith.