PDA

View Full Version : site compromise

mshaner
03-16-10, 20:37
I guess one most often tries to fit his/her AR into one category or another - close range or long range (i.e. hunting, etc).

But for the sake of discussion I'm trying to come up with a setup whereby one can acquire quickly a target at close range should it be required (i.e. home defense). And YET have the setup allow one to avoid fully engaging a target from say 100 to 150 yards, possibly more. As a hunter growing up we often utilized scope mounts with see-thru rings or offset mounts, but one, that is real ugly on an AR and well...'nough said - it's fugly! And I'm sure today's options are more plentiful.

What's out there that serves as a site AND a "scope" of sorts? And what supply outlet has the best pricing?

Thanks for the insight.

Just for the record, I don't use my AR for HD...have other means for that;)...

GeorgiaBoy
03-16-10, 20:39
An Aimpoint or Eotech with a magnifier behind it?

JonnyVain
03-16-10, 21:52
I'm going through the same dilemma. Red dot or fixed 4x....

DocHolliday01
03-16-10, 21:54
Why not get a 1-X power like a 1-4 Accupoint or Nightforce 1-4?

Mark/MO
03-17-10, 18:40
I'll echo DocHolliday1, you might try looking at a 1-4x scope. I have Aimpoint and Triijicon 1-4x scope equipped ARs. In my opinion the Aimpoint is faster (at least for me) but the scope set at 1x or so is quite fast. Obviously the scope also has the advantage that you can crank up the magnification for more precise shooting at distance.

I honestly go back and forth on which I like most, generally depending on which one I’m shooting the most at the time. Look at both and see which works for you.

lethal dose
03-17-10, 18:46
The trij accupoints are hard to beat... not the fastest up close, though. How about an acog with a docter optic mounted? I'd go aimpoint with magnifier, myself.