PDA

View Full Version : OH - Police utilizing new ear camera. (Video)

Irish
03-16-10, 22:51
Video here: http://www.wlwt.com/technology/22849676/detail.html

CINCINNATI --
Some Cincinnati police officers are getting a chance to try some cutting-edge crime fighting technology.

The District One officers are using ear cameras to capture everything they see while on duty. The program is even garnering some national attention.

It's called the Taser Axon and 10 Cincinnati officers have them on loan from the manufacturer, Taser International.

Commanders said the cameras are especially useful when investigating whether the use of force in some cases was justified.

The department cited an altercation in Over-the-Rhine in which a man allegedly grabbed an officer's Taser gun and turned it on police. The officers in the case were able to subdue the man, and it was all caught on camera.

"The camera is on the left side of my head, so once the device is activated, any contact that you and I have, or any words that are exchanged, are all caught on this device," Officer Melissa Cummins said.

Cummins used the Axon at a shooting scene a couple weeks ago.

"If I missed anything the victim had to tell me, I can always go back and listen to it again, to make sure that I got what I needed," Cummins said.

Sometime in May, the department has to decide whether or not to be one of the first in the country to buy them.

The camera's cost about $5,700 per officer for three years. It would take $1.6 million to equip the entire department.

The manufacturer said no decisions have been made, but they're hopeful the department is going to invest in the technology.

The cameras are also helpful in protecting police against lawsuits because it's no longer a "he said, she said" situation, police said.