PDA

View Full Version : MI - Traffic stop gone wrong. LEO held at gunpoint. (Video)

Irish
03-17-10, 03:58
http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/kalamazoo_and_battle_creek/Video-underscores-dangers-for-deputies

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) - It took just more than two minutes for an early Monday morning traffic stop by a Calhoun County sheriff's deputy to escalate, with the driver putting the deputy's life -- as well as his own -- in jeopardy.

Video released to 24 Hour News 8 on Tuesday gives a rare look at the danger law enforcement officers can face in the line of duty. The deputy survived after the driver turned the gun on himself and took his own life, despite the deputy's attempts to convince him not to.

The dashboard recording shows the 23-year-old driver pulling a gun from his waist after the sheriff's deputy asked the driver to get out of his car -- about 30 seconds before he told the deputy he did not have a weapon.

"No, I'm good, officer," he had told the deputy. "I'm coming home from work. I'm just trying to go home."

As soon as the driver pulled a weapon, the deputy is heard saying "don't. Do not. Do not." The deputy trips and the driver tells him to put his hands on his head.

The driver had admitted his driver's license was suspended. And he said he had some marijuana in his car that he threw out of it earlier. The man is heard telling the officer, "I'm sorry about this. I don't want to go to jail."

That's when the driver brings up the idea of killing himself.

"No, I don't want you to do that," the deputy said. And he continued to try to talk the driver down. "We need to talk because I don't want you to kill yourself," the deputy said.

The driver did put a gun to his head several times, and the deputy continued to try to convince him otherwise. Less than five minutes after the traffic stop began, the driver took his own life.

Calhoun County Sheriff's Captain Matt Saxton credits the deputy for remaining remarkably calm. The deputy followed procedure, Saxton said in an interview Tuesday, and the firearm and tactics training deputies receive.

"We'll watch the video and use it for future training," he said. "It's fortunate he went home to his wife and kids yesterday."

Law enforcement officers are trained "to try and talk as much as you can," Saxton said, "and personalize it."

That includes the deputy's references to his family heard in the recording.

The driver's father, who asked not to be identifed, said the family is "sorry for the officer. [We] hope that he doesn't have anything in his life stress him out because of this situation."

He said his son was driving home from work -- something the driver said himself in the video, after he told the deputy he did not have a weapon.

The driver's decision to take his own life may have been out of desperation, his father said. "He didn't have no other choice in his mind. We wish it would have went differently."

The 23-year-old was a good man who had just recently gotten into trouble with guns, his father said. Though he stresses his son is not a murderer and not a thug, the father said he has a warning for those who get caught up with guns.

"If you need a gun to go around the people that you need to go around with, your friends, then those are not the people you should be with," he said. "And please, don't ever do this to your parents ... because it literally rips your heart out."
Always be vigilent. Stay safe out there!

ZDL
03-17-10, 04:23

Irish
03-17-10, 05:09
Shit happens quick.

I'm not privy to LEO training vids but I think this would make for a good one. Stay safe out there!

woodandsteel
03-17-10, 09:05
I'm not privy to LEO training vids but I think this would make for a good one. Stay safe out there!

You're not kidding. There's a lot to learn from this video.

One mistake that the deputy made, that I find myself making is having the flashlight in my wrong hand.

Glad the deputy made it out ok. You have to wonder how he is doing mentally, now. That is sure to cause him some sleepless nights.

Irish
03-17-10, 11:49
You're not kidding. There's a lot to learn from this video.

One mistake that the deputy made, that I find myself making is having the flashlight in my wrong hand.
That's one of my reaons for posts like this is so people have an opportunity to learn from someone else's actions or mistakes prior to being in the situation themselves. I think everyone can have their own Monday morning quarterback session with themselves and try to figure out what it is they would've done differently. It's not to second judge the officer's actions but there are valuable lessons that can be learned for the LEO, .Mil and civilian from watching and discussing events like these.

One of the other major reasons is to show what police officers have to deal with in the line of duty. Sometimes, I think we lose sight of the dangers that others face so that we can all lead much more peaceful lives in our everyday existence. A little reminder every now and then of the sacrifices others make on our behaves should not go unnoticed.

Mac5.56
03-17-10, 13:29
Yea, my heart is still pounding. The point where he slipped was really hard to watch, and to realize how much a simple environmental factor can change so much about your situation.

till44
03-17-10, 14:54
Seem this guy was suicidal and was hoping the officer would shoot him. The officer made a few mistakes, I kept thinking, "Square up your vest to him, you whole side is exposed." (hindsights 20/20). But he did a lot right and must have had some feeling that the guy wasn't going to shoot because he had plenty of time to draw when the kid put his gun away. Glad he is safe.

ST911
03-17-10, 16:05
The deputy survived because the suspect decided not to kill him.

There's lots to learn from in that video.

Mac5.56
03-17-10, 16:22
There is tons to learn from the video, but I feel it is unfair to judge him. Personally I thought he made an amazing recovery after he slipped and was really able to keep his head on straight throughout the entire thing. Did he make mistakes? I'm sure he did, but he handled it better then 95% of the people I know would have.

JonnyVain
03-17-10, 16:23
Dam, it looks like that driver's life spiraled downhill fast.

pilotguyo540
03-17-10, 16:54
Thats rough.

It is very interesting to watch the psychology in play and to fall apart so fast.

Did anyone catch why he was pulled over?

I kind of feel bad for the dude, rock bottom sucks. At least the officer is safe. That poor guy will probably be scarred over this.

glockshooter
03-17-10, 17:01
I dont know why the Deputy did not draw his weapon or even attempt to gain control over the guy. I guess this Deputy had a gut feeling, but my only true goal every shift is to make it home. I am not sure the Deputy did everything he could to make sure he did. Ultimately he survived but I would not say this video offers any training value. I always find it funny when the admin gives accolades to officers who do things wrong or fail to act as they were trained, but it just so happens through the grace of god to work out. I am not saying the Deputy should be punished, but I would not be praising him either.

Matt

ZDL
03-17-10, 20:36

El Vaquero
03-17-10, 22:14

agreed.

I remember watching this video a few weeks ago and just cringing the entire time. Definitely a great video to use for future training.

Irish
03-18-10, 02:41
Ultimately he survived but I would not say this video offers any training value.

I would disagree. I see a lot of things that can be learned from that incident.

bkb0000
03-18-10, 02:57
having trouble finding the deputy's name.. anybody happen across it, please post

ZDL
03-18-10, 03:08

bkb0000
03-18-10, 03:20
Why?...

his incident gave me an idea for a new drill series, figured i'd name it after him.

dbrowne1
03-18-10, 07:36
Dude didn't have to kill himself but glad he chose himself over the officer. Shit happens quick.

My sentiments exactly.

I'll bet this guy had a lot more going on than just a suspended license and some weed that wasn't even in the car anymore.

dbrowne1
03-18-10, 07:39
Also, the end of the article seems a bit anti-gun. This guy did not get "caught up with guns," and there is nothing wrong with carrying one per se. The father seems to be trying to blame all of this on his son getting involved with guns, and not on his son getting involved with shitbags (which was his actual downfall).

Abraxas
03-18-10, 08:52

That is bizarre. You are absolutely right, I hope that the deputy in that video learned something.

danpass
03-18-10, 09:35
Sounds like gut instinct not to draw his sidearm and I suspect a touch of 'if I draw then he'll definitely shoot me' in there.

Abraxas
03-18-10, 10:24
Sounds like gut instinct not to draw his sidearm and I suspect a touch of 'if I draw then he'll definitely shoot me' in there.

Since the guy shot himself, he might have wanted the deputy to shoot him in the first place.

-gary
03-18-10, 10:24
There's so much wrong in that video that it would be shorter to list what went right. Frankly, pure luck is the only reason he is still breathing today. I'm happy for the guy, and I really hope this changes the way he approaches his job from now on.

RWK
03-18-10, 11:18
Interesting. One of the reasons I couldn't/won't do that job -- at 3:01 I'd have burned him down.

Aside from busting his ass falling on the pavement, I think the deputy did a good job in keeping his composure. After 3:00, well, lots left to be desired.

glockshooter
03-18-10, 19:43
This is the behavior and mindset that needs to be avoided at all costs.

If you are unable to see lessons in mistakes, you are missing out on a lot of valuable education.

That situation was as dynamic as they come. He made mistakes but he also made some good calls.

With all due respect, we are looking at this incident in to different ways. I THINK we are saying the same thing though. I look at it as what not to do, I guess you could say the training value is in what not to do. I perfer to train recruits in what to do rather than what not to do. I have found that teaching anyone on any subject is done best by showing, telling, or doing the right thing. I understand the principle of your stance, but I do not like the practice of showing movies that have officers not do the right thing that in the end just so happen to workout. Had the Deputy drawn his gun, or made some attempt to take control of the suspect I would be singing his praises. That however is not what happened. Yes the Deputy kept his composure after he fell, and he tried to personalize the encounter to help the situation. Remember how admins are, what is going to happen when the next officer ends up in a simuliar situation. If the officer shoots or attempts to subdue the suspect and the suspect is injured or killed will the admin question why he did not just talk the guy down. Thank god the situation worked out for the officer, but we are taking different things from this video. I am not saying you are wrong, like you did with me, I am just pointing out that not everyone sees things the same way.

ZDL
03-18-10, 20:00