PDA

View Full Version : living on the road with a firearm

tb417
03-17-10, 17:34
It's starting to look like I might have to get my old job back, (Installing fire alarm systems at various DOD facilities around the country.) The Kid is grown up and moved out, and this time Mama's coming with me.

Based on the locations last time; West Point, Leavenworth, Columbus AFB, I don't think I should try to bring my AR.

Can bring a pistol as long as my magazine's capacities don't exceed 10 rounds? Also I thought I remember someone suggesting having hi-caps but disassembling them in the ban states.

I would appreciate any suggestions on weapon types, magazine options, etc.

Thanks for your time,

Tom

Irish
03-17-10, 17:37
Get a Utah non-resident CCW permit, it allows the most states. Check out this interactive map http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

tb417
03-17-10, 17:53
I have a Washington State resident permit, but honestly never thought about the Utah, based on the link you gave it looks like WA does some that UT doesn't.

dbrowne1
03-17-10, 18:15
Kansas and Ohio might be possibilites (for both pistols and rifles). Forget about New York state, at least for the pistols and the AR.

Also, I'm not sure that any of the state law stuff really matters. If you're going to be on military bases/facilities, you ain't carrying anything there anyway.

Mac5.56
03-17-10, 19:03
You can not travel with a pistol to New York State unless you hold a New York State pistol permit. So Westpoint is out of the question, no matter what magazine capacity you have.

The only people that can travel legally in NY state without a permit are competitors that are part of a team, and they can only travel with their pistols if their coach has control of the vehicle and the pistols are in a secured, and locked safe.

You may actually be better off traveling with a compliant AR and a ten round, or pre-ban mag to tell you the truth.

bjw182005
03-17-10, 22:07
Bear in mind also, that regardless of whether or not you have a valid CCW permit, bringing privately owned weapons onto any DoD/Military Installation for any reason other than to visit the base range, if available, is a no-go.

tb417
03-17-10, 23:03
Thanks for the replies,

We don't live on post, just work there. We "motel" it in town

You can not travel with a pistol to New York State unless you hold a New York State pistol permit.

Damn, I didn't know that.

West Point is a pretty good possibility this trip out. Can a person get a non-resident pistol permit?

Any suggestions for a "compliant" alternatives?

Ridge_Runner_5
03-17-10, 23:45
It doesnt matter if you live on base or not. No weapons.

Freemnd
03-17-10, 23:52
If you want to drive through Chicago just make sure you can prove you are not going to stop for food, the bathroom, or anything.

Just keep on driving through. And if you happen to drive through Evanston, Aurora, Highland Park, and a few other burbs you may want to have a local gun range in mind for an alibi.

It sucks around Northeast Illinois.

kaiservontexas
03-17-10, 23:53
I thought we had a 2nd Amendment? I cannot help myself with this one. It is one of the things I loath. I know I do not travel outside the state of Texas. But if I wanted to move to another place in America . . . I am limited on choices, granted those choices far outnumber the no-go areas. It angers me to be honest. What if I wanted to live in NYC? I know of no reason to want to, or visit Chicago for a month . . . I could not do it even for love of money.

Ridge_Runner_5
03-18-10, 00:10
I thought we had a 2nd Amendment?

Offer void where prohibited by law.

Freemnd
03-18-10, 00:25
Mcdonald v. City of Chicago

Change we can believe in is coming.

+1 on "void where proibited by law":)

tb417
03-18-10, 01:35
Well damn, that's all depressing. I could live without a NY ccw as long as I could have a nightstand piece.

Pistol caliber lever-action carbine?

Sharp pointy stick?:rolleyes:

dbrowne1
03-18-10, 12:39
Any suggestions for a "compliant" alternatives?

On a military base? How about a rock or a sharp stick.

Again, your problem isn't one of this state versus that state. It's the fact that, with rare exception, you cannot carry firearms on a military base - certainly not ones in a ready condition to use for self-defense even in situations where they let you on base to use a range.

At best, you could go somewhere like Kansas or Ohio and posses/carry firearms in compliance with state law while you're off base.

CAVDOC
03-18-10, 12:48
it comes as a shock to many, but in NY state you are not allowed to possess a pistol without a permit. even though the permit is a state permit and it has "liscence to carry pistol" on it,the permits are issued by counties and some restrict you from ccw on an administrative basis if they do not feel you give a compelling enough reason for a carry permit. Even if you have a NY permit it is also not valid in NY city. As far as long guns a pre-ban (made before sep 1994) is ok to bring as well as full cap magazines made before that date. Another option is a ban compliant ar and 10 round magazines. Also that trusty m-1 garand is fully legal. remember it is also a violation of NY law to carry a loaded long gun in your vehicle.
By the way, Camp Smith (a national guard base) is just across the river from west point and has inexpensive if austere housing if you qualify for its use and they host a good number of shooting matches there- mostly high power rifle 200-600 yard national match courses.
Also no such thing as a NY non resident permit!

Mac5.56
03-18-10, 14:31
Well damn, that's all depressing. I could live without a NY ccw as long as I could have a nightstand piece.

Pistol caliber lever-action carbine?

Sharp pointy stick?:rolleyes:

Here you go:

Non-residents:

A non-resident citizen may possess a rifle or shotgun in New York, as long as it is unloaded while being transported. No person may carry, possess or transport a handgun in or through the state unless he has a valid New York license. New York does not issue licenses to non-residents nor does it recognize licenses issued by other states. (A provision of federal law provides a defense to state or local laws which would prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel. If a person is traveling from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport a firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm and the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Necessary stops, e.g., gasoline and rest, seem permissible.) A member or coach of an accredited college or university target pistol team may transport a handgun into or through New York to participate in a collegiate, Olympic or target pistol shooting competition provided that the handgun is unloaded and carried in a locked carrying case and the ammunition is carried in a separate locked container. An alien may possess a rifle or shotgun for use while hunting provided he has a valid New York hunting license. "If such (handgun) license is issued to an alien, or to a person not a citizen of and usually a resident in the state, the licensing officer shall state in the license the particular reason for the issuance and the names of the persons certifying to the good character of the applicant." Non-resident target shooters may enter or pass through New York State with handguns for the purposes of any NRA approved competition if the competitor has in his possession a copy of the match program, proof of entry and a pistol license from his state of residence. The handgun must be unloaded and transported in a locked opaque container.

And here is the link:

http://www.nysrpa.org/nygunlaws.htm

photosniper
03-18-10, 17:18
"Non-residents:

A non-resident citizen may possess a rifle or shotgun in New York, as long as it is unloaded while being transported. No person may carry, possess or transport a handgun in or through the state unless he has a valid New York license. New York does not issue licenses to non-residents nor does it recognize licenses issued by other states. (A provision of federal law provides a defense to state or local laws which would prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel. If a person is traveling from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport a firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm and the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Necessary stops, e.g., gasoline and rest, seem permissible.) A member or coach of an accredited college or university target pistol team may transport a handgun into or through New York to participate in a collegiate, Olympic or target pistol shooting competition provided that the handgun is unloaded and carried in a locked carrying case and the ammunition is carried in a separate locked container. An alien may possess a rifle or shotgun for use while hunting provided he has a valid New York hunting license. "If such (handgun) license is issued to an alien, or to a person not a citizen of and usually a resident in the state, the licensing officer shall state in the license the particular reason for the issuance and the names of the persons certifying to the good character of the applicant." Non-resident target shooters may enter or pass through New York State with handguns for the purposes of any NRA approved competition if the competitor has in his possession a copy of the match program, proof of entry and a pistol license from his state of residence. The handgun must be unloaded and transported in a locked opaque container."

So how does NY get away with violating federal transportation laws that allow travel with firearms across state lines?

Mac5.56
03-18-10, 18:13
So how does NY get away with violating federal transportation laws that allow travel with firearms across state lines?

I thought this was a conservative forum that supported State's Rights over Federal Law? :)

I do not know the answer to that question, I am not a lawyer. If I can give an opinion it's because NY state can do whatever it wants for some odd reason.

I can tell you this though NY state has mandatory minimum prison sentencing for violating certain gun laws, and just recently flexed its muscles with Lil'Wayne to prove that they will enforce them across the board. I wouldn't go anywhere near the 5 borrows plus Yonkers with a handgun.

Icculus
03-18-10, 18:22
Offer void where prohibited by law.

Classic :)

tb417
03-18-10, 21:35
Thanks for all the advice guys.

Just got the call, the job is mine if I want it, definitely West Point until the end of summer.

Mac5.56
03-19-10, 03:37
If you really feel the need to travel with a firearm to NY state, I would suggest a lever action, an M1 carbine, or a compliant AR/pre ban AR with either a ten round magazine, or a pre-ban magazine.

Also FYI, in NY state a rifle is considered loaded if you have a loaded magazine in the vehicle. IE, no magazine in the well with nothing in the chamber, and the chamber open, no loaded mag in the back pack, in the trunk, the glove box, next to the rifle...

Basically, and I mean this, if your carrying in NY state for the purpose of self defense, and you don't have a pistol permit that makes it legal to carry a loaded gun, then I suggest getting comfortable with the your physical body, and your ability to fight without a firearm (not saying that you're not already, I'm just giving you a heads up). If you want to bring the gun just to stay up on your skills, go to the range, and train in your off time then just remember to load your magazines at the range.