PDA

View Full Version : why a light?

kdog989
03-17-10, 20:43
Ok, im new to this stuff and just wondering why the tacical light seems to be a must have for so many people, is it more important than a good optic?

rob_s
03-17-10, 20:46
Purely from a "fighting" standpoint, I would take the light over the optic. However, I think it's more important to learn to use the gun before you think of using it for defensive purposes, and to that end I think the optic is more important.

NCPatrolAR
03-17-10, 20:49
Ok, im new to this stuff and just wondering why the tacical light seems to be a must have for so many people, is it more important than a good optic?

The light is a must on a gun to be used for personal protetion because of the need for threat identification.

kwb377
03-17-10, 23:04
...wondering why the tacical light seems to be a must have for so many people?

Because I can't see in the dark...

As NC stated...threat I.D.

RWK
03-18-10, 09:40
Because I can't see in the dark...

Damn, someone beat me to it!

sonrider657
03-18-10, 11:37
Because the bad guys don't always come during daylight hours.

chiefhubbard
03-18-10, 21:41
Have you ever been able to look at a strobing bright light and not put your hand up or look away? Then you get capped, not to mention the other very good reasons.

tracker722
03-19-10, 23:45

NCPatrolAR
03-20-10, 00:04
Have you ever been able to look at a strobing bright light and not put your hand up or look away?

I wouldnt put so much stock in the effects of a strobing light.

chiefhubbard
03-20-10, 13:54
I wouldnt put so much stock in the effects of a strobing light.

Your right, I agree with you about a strobing light. I should have said “a strobe light” but if you don’t put much stock in its effects in a tactical situation in the dark, at 70-200 lumens it has the ability to blind and confuse as in a flash bang grenade. But that is only part of the whole, a laser site is a light, and there is also IR. We have even taken down missiles with a light in laser form. I vote for having a light for any reason that you want it for, that is just my opinion, and there is a proper time and place to use all types of lights. The Military and Civilian authorities buy and use them on their weapons, but that’s just their opinion as well. A light is just like a sight, be it iron, red dot, IR, or scope. However I agree with (tracker722), “I want to identify my target first”, and Surefire makes some very good ones, there are others though just as good.

msap
03-20-10, 14:09
Because clearing dark buildings, houses and rooms sucks without them. What will an optic in the dark with no light accomplish?

chiefhubbard
03-20-10, 14:39
Another good reason, I just can't see any reason for not having one, but I am sure someone will come up with one. Good on you, msap.

usmcvet
03-21-10, 08:49
You should have a light for positive threat identification. It is cheap insurance; you don't want to shoot your kid, neighbor, brother, sister..... by mistake because you thought it was the boogey man and it' is just your kid sneaking in the house after curfew.

After the light get a sling.

markm
03-21-10, 08:56
Since you're talking lights.... I'm going to make the assumption that we're in the fighting/defensive realm. And in that realm I can personally shoot just as well without and optic. But as stated by others above... I can't see in the dark.

Nathan_Bell
03-21-10, 10:06
Your right, I agree with you about a strobing light. I should have said “a strobe light” but if you don’t put much stock in its effects in a tactical situation in the dark, at 70-200 lumens it has the ability to blind and confuse as in a flash bang grenade. But that is only part of the whole, a laser site is a light, and there is also IR. We have even taken down missiles with a light in laser form. I vote for having a light for any reason that you want it for, that is just my opinion, and there is a proper time and place to use all types of lights. The Military and Civilian authorities buy and use them on their weapons, but that’s just their opinion as well. A light is just like a sight, be it iron, red dot, IR, or scope. However I agree with (tracker722), “I want to identify my target first”, and Surefire makes some very good ones, there are others though just as good.

Do not count on a light to do anything other than allow you to identify your target when it is dark out. It isn't a stun gun, a psy-ops device, or a magic wand. It is an item meant to illuminate. This illumination will allow you to do IFF and if necessary target the BG.

chiefhubbard
03-21-10, 14:07
A light is needed. be it just a light, IF, Starlight for the Star bright Scope, to see, ID, Kill, Disorientate and even Communicate. My posts are my thoughts and reasons for a light, and to illuminate others as to "Why a Light". Sorry for previous post.

HK45
03-21-10, 15:13
OP, run do not walk to read this;

http://pistol-training.com/articles/handgun-low-light-essentials

chiefhubbard
03-27-10, 12:36
Good post HK45, and I use and love my crimson trace. Both on my AR and my handguns. :D

HK45
03-27-10, 12:46
NP, it's a hell of an article that JW did, I've read it multiple times.