PDA

View Full Version : Another "I want to get an AK...have questions" thread

RyanS
04-21-07, 16:07
I used to own a SLR-105 which I was pretty happy with but on a whim and with little forethought sold it. I really want to get another one, however I would like to get 7.62x39 variant and would like to avoid spending $800+ to get something decent. After doing some research it seems that Lancaster Consulting and Vector are the nicer of the sub$800 rifles. Does anyone have any input on these rifles or have any other suggestions?

The local shop gets in a few WASR and Yugo UF from time to time. However, I would like to avoid an UF and of all the examples of either rifle I've seen had the front sight is canted one way and the rear sight is canted the other. Additionally, I've been told that the WASR has mag well problems and feed ramp problems because the mag well modifications.

I had intended to order a Vector, however, I now hear they no longer produce rifles with chrome-lined barrels. Is this true? If so, is it feasible to have the barrel chrome-lined elsewhere?

After hearing about the Vector changes, I was leaning toward Lancaster Consutling but I don't know enough about them and there isn't a lot of feedback from which to draw any conclusions.

I've also heard about Hammerstone AKs, but there is even less on any of the boards to educate myself.

h8mtv
04-21-07, 20:16
The Vectors I have seen have been well built guns. There are lots of affordable and well built ak's out there. Check out what DPH Arms and Atlantic firearms. I just wouldn't buy a Century personally unless they've swapped FCG's. Any particulars you want in an Ak?

RyanS
04-21-07, 22:43
Any particulars you want in an Ak?

One that will work, won't cost more than $800, and doesn't look like crap. Primarily, though, it has to work.

TOrrock
04-21-07, 22:50
Check with Atlantic to see if they have some of the Vectors in with the Polish chrome lined barrels. They would be my first choice.

It's not feasable to chrome a bore later.....the chrome adds thickness to the inside of the bore, not good. When done at time of manufacture, they take that into consideration.

The Lancasters have been getting a decent rep, as with anything sometimes things slip through that shouldn't have.

Bear in mind that just about everything around $500-$600 will be a rifle that's built on a parts kit that used to be a service rifle on a new US receiver.

Sometimes that turns out great, other times, not so much. Vector gives you a 5 year warranty and they want you to be happy.

I've not seen any close up detailed pics of Hammerstone's builds, but the people that have them seem to be happy overall.

Hope that helped.

Bison
05-11-07, 09:06
I sent an e-mail to Vector yesterday and was told that their new rifles do not have chrome-lined barrels. Their old rifles do.

They were very helpful. Here is the e-mail I got back:

"About two months ago we had to change to making our AKs with new Yugo barrrels since the barrel ban of 05 finally affected us. The Yugo barrels are not crome-lined. So, if you are asking about our current production, no, they are not crome-lined. If you have seen one at a dealer, he might have had it awhile and it would be crome-lined."

The Lancaster guns, on the other hand, do appear to have chrome-lined barrels. I would also love to hear from anyone who has had any experience with these guns. According to Atlantic Arms, they carry a lifetime warranty.

Thanks in advance.

Business_Casual
05-11-07, 09:15
I have a PMKMS (Polish 7.62 underfolder) built by Lancaster. The gun is basically a de-milled kit gun. A military rifle is cut in half and the parts imported. A reverse-engineered receiver is used to put it back together, then a spray coat (gunkote) is used to mask the different finishes.

The rifle shoots well, it is well finished and other than a very deep SAFE selector notch and a little bit of a windage issue, it is a nice rifle. I have seen reports of QC issues with Lancaster, but I have also seen reports that they and Atlantic stand behind the products 100%. Some dust covers are too short, some barrels have pitting, some sights are canted. Overall they are much better guns than WASRs. Given the choice I would buy a Lancaster over a WASR.

Another route is to buy a de-milled kit and a NoDak Spud receiver and have someone build one for you.

Internet advice is worth what you pay for it. :cool:

M_P