PDA

View Full Version : Ra Clicky Tactical?

Erik 1
03-17-10, 21:40
I was reading this thread (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=49550) about inexpensive flashlight alternatives and that got me thinking about the Ra Clicky...again. I find the Ra Clicky Tactical really appealing, because it seems elegant and reviewers consistently describe it as exceptionally well made. I get the sense that it's a pleasure to use in kind of the same way that a nice mechanical watch is, or some of Apple's products. On the other hand, there seem to be some great values from Olight, and the Nitecore flashlight that was linked to in that other thread (Nitecore SR3 (http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=93&products_id=1623)) seems to be a steal. I have two questions for the experts, if you have the patience.

First, is the Ra Clicky a better light in tangible ways - more durable, better water resistance, better operation, etc.? Is it a buy once, cry once kind of light that will outlast, for example, the Nitecore light or one from Olight?

Second, if I were to buy one of the Ra Tactical models, is there a practical reason to pick the Ra ClickyTactical (http://ralights.com/?id=ClickyTactical) over the Ra Every Day Carry Tactical (http://ralights.com/?id=EdcTactical)? There are more features, but are they really useful features?

To be honest, I kind of want to be talked into this light, but I don't want to buy it if it isn't really all that. Thanks.

ToddG
03-17-10, 23:00
Ra sent me one and I used it as my edc light for months.

It's incredibly well made and seems built like a tank.

However, I've been completely unable to get the damn thing programmed, even after getting instructions emailed directly from the company. I specifically want it to strobe when I hold the switch in momentary mode; strobe when I click the button; and go to solid medium-power light when I double click. But no matter what I do, if I have strobe as the default, I can't get it not to strobe. Someone with more spare IQ points could probably get it to work.

The clip sucks. But all clips on these little lights suck. I've completely given up on the pocket clip and now just let the light stand up inside my weak side front pocket, kept in place either by my iPhone or my holstered LCP.

My Ra has the protruding button ("tactical") which has come on in my pocket more than a few zillion times. If I was doing it all over again, I'd get the flush button. But I don't use the Rogers/cigar flashlight shooting technique...

I finally gave up on it when a buddy sent me something new to play with. I think the Ra is an excellent light if you can get it programmed the way you want, though.

Erik 1
03-18-10, 07:17
Thanks very much. I have barely enough IQ points for myself, so the programming is something to think long and hard about.

Sluggo
03-21-10, 23:59
Ra sent me one and I used it as my edc light for months.

It's incredibly well made and seems built like a tank.

However, I've been completely unable to get the damn thing programmed, even after getting instructions emailed directly from the company. I specifically want it to strobe when I hold the switch in momentary mode; strobe when I click the button; and go to solid medium-power light when I double click. But no matter what I do, if I have strobe as the default, I can't get it not to strobe. Someone with more spare IQ points could probably get it to work.

The clip sucks. But all clips on these little lights suck. I've completely given up on the pocket clip and now just let the light stand up inside my weak side front pocket, kept in place either by my iPhone or my holstered LCP.

My Ra has the protruding button ("tactical") which has come on in my pocket more than a few zillion times. If I was doing it all over again, I'd get the flush button. But I don't use the Rogers/cigar flashlight shooting technique...

I finally gave up on it when a buddy sent me something new to play with. I think the Ra is an excellent light if you can get it programmed the way you want, though.

I agree on the clips. I don't clip any of my lights anymore. My lights either get bungee'd to a belt loop, or get a kydex sheath for belt carry connected to my extra pistol mag. I like raven concealment because you can have different kydex holsters made for all your lights that will screw to any of your existing raven kydex mag holders.

Dennis
03-22-10, 00:48
The analogy of a nice mechanical watch is a good one for the RaClicky. It is built very nicely with fully potted electronics for extreme durability above most other LED lights and a very elegant and well designed clicky tail switch that works on a different principle than most. I tossed the clip and carry it in a kydex holster behind my spare mag so I don't have to worry about accidental activation. Also the UI works about 95% of the time for me and is easily recoverable after a mistake even under
stress.

Those with a practical bent may not appreciate the nice design features like those that think a relatively expensive IWC Spitfire is a waste compared to a solar atomic G-Shock. Personally I have both and depending on which camp you fall into this light may or may not be for you.

If you appreciate nicely designed products and the UI and other features are what you want then I say go for it. I would design a custom one so you can get what you want. However, with the way LED and hopefully switching technology is constantly improving I doubt it will be the last flashlight you ever buy :)

Dennis.

Erik 1
03-22-10, 07:26
Thanks for the input. I am completely new to the high-end/tactcal flashlight field. I found a very good deal on a barely used Quark Tactical R5 a few days ago, so my plan is to use it for a bit and get a sense of what functions I really like/use, how the interface works for me, etc. At that point, I think I can make a much more informed decision on the Ra.

Dennis
03-22-10, 10:36
Good idea! You can't have too many long life LED lights to stash all over in case of emergency.

Erik 1
03-22-10, 11:09
I can see me ending up with a lot of them. They're just really cool. Plus, there seems to be something a little addictive going on here.

Sluggo
03-22-10, 17:34
I can see me ending up with a lot of them. They're just really cool. Plus, there seems to be something a little addictive going on here.

Just wait until you start lusting after McGizmo's

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/813/eld6531.jpg

and Lummi's

http://www.zipplet.co.uk/postimgs/lummi/weeraw_light.jpg

:D

Erik 1
03-23-10, 23:10
[sigh] Thanks a lot.

ETA: WOW!