PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys negotiate?

sadmin
03-18-10, 09:25
Is it normal protocol to negotiate over the price of a new firearm at a local shop? My local shop has some ridiculous prices, but ive purchased 3 firearms from them in the past. I negotiate over cars, and houses...but never a gun, does anyone have good results with it?

An Undocumented Worker
03-18-10, 09:29
I attempt to negotiate on anything over 100 dollars. Typically I just ask them how much they want for it even if the price is posted. Sometimes they budge sometimes they don't. I've even had retailers complain about discounting the goods to me, while discounting them. Go figure.

What is the worst they are gonna do say no?

lebowski
03-18-10, 09:34
Yes, it's perfectly normal to negotiate.

I find I almost always get a better deal online than in my local stores. If they don't come down in price, I just go home and buy it online.

chadbag
03-18-10, 10:40
Depends on if the price is reasonable to start with and what sort of place it is. Can't hurt to ask for a deal or make an offer.

Nathan_Bell
03-18-10, 10:56
Read an article years ago, guy recommended that anytime you are buying an item from any type of sales person to ask "Is that the best you can do?"
Surprisingly, it works pretty well and is a non-inflammatory trick that won't sour a previously good sales experience as many other bargaining approaches can.

jaydoc1
03-18-10, 11:10
I'm very good friends with several of the local gun dealers and so always try to give them my business if they can get within $25 of the purchase price of an online dealer. I always give them the first shot to give me that price. If they can't then I have no problem buying online.

Frankly they usually can't beat the big online dealer prices but I like to a least try to keep my dollars local.

orionz06
03-18-10, 11:18
I will get what I can get. Most of the time I will seek a younger person out to see what they can do, they seem more motivated.

VooDoo6Actual
03-18-10, 11:28
imo,

Everything in a free market system is negotiable.

Whether or not they accept or counter is another story.

perna
03-18-10, 11:48
Here is what I have found around here, most shops sell on gunbroker so they know what the stuff is going for online and will negotiate with you, but there are still shops totally refuse to negotiate.

For example I went to a local shop, they have 2 locations and also sell on gunbroker, I knew what they were selling an AR for online before I went in. I tried negotiating with the guy for a while and he was still about $200 plus tax more than what they sell it for online. After I told him they we going for less online, he went back to his computer for a min and said no that was the best price he found online, which was a total lie.
I drove to their other location and within about 5 mins they sold me the same AR for what they had it listed for on gunbroker out the door, plus they threw in a soft case. So I saved about $300 just by going to a different location.

jrbrssrd
03-18-10, 14:33
I agree with jaydoc. The last 5 or so times I have needed AR related items or anything gun related, I have tried to go to the local guy and buy from him. I really do want my money to stay local.

Having said that, EVERY time I try this I end up having to flip through his Midway or Brownells catalog to show him what I'm looking for and then he says he'd have to order it. I want to give him the business but I just can't justify paying more for the products, paying sales taxes, and knowing that he ordered it from the same place I could have.

John_Wayne777
03-18-10, 14:36
It depends on the item. New firearms are generally purchased through a wholesaler and as such the prices are usually fixed because for many gun dealers there is little to no margin on firearms. There is some room for negotiation on used firearms, generally.

Also think about this: If you're dealing with a gun dealer whom you actually like, give the guy the extra 20-50 bucks. If you find a GOOD gun dealer he is worth his weight in gold. Do what you can to support him and you'll be better off in the long run than trying to keep that extra 30 bucks.

lindertw
03-18-10, 16:28
Also think about this: If you're dealing with a gun dealer whom you actually like, give the guy the extra 20-50 bucks. If you find a GOOD gun dealer he is worth his weight in gold. Do what you can to support him and you'll be better off in the long run than trying to keep that extra 30 bucks.

ditto