PDA

View Full Version : OH - CCW defends against ATM robbery. (Video)

Irish
03-18-10, 10:31
Positive use of a CCW. 3rd incident in Ohio in less than a week. http://www.10tv.com/live/content/local/stories/2010/03/17/story_atm_vigilante.html?sid=102

COLUMBUS, Ohio — A simple stop at an ATM ended when a local man pulled a gun on a would-be robber.

It occurred around 1 a.m. Tuesday at the Fifth Third bank at 1500 Morse Road, 10TV's Kevin Landers reported.

Erick Tehoke said he was sitting in his SUV with the window down, when the suspect walked up and told him to hand over all of his money.

Tehoke, a concealed carry weapons permit holder of three months, reached for his gun. The suspect ran.

"I have never had to pull my gun, ever," said Tehoke.

He credits his security guard training for not shooting the man. He said the suspect did not appear to have a weapon.

"I did not see anything that looked like a knife or looked like a gun it was just an instant reaction and I pulled my weapon," said Tehoke.

Police do not have any suspects.

Stay with 10TV News and refresh 10TV.com for additional information.

Alpha Sierra
03-18-10, 18:55
http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp290/JRossy/funny%20pics/gobucks.gif

pilotguyo540
03-18-10, 19:07
Thank you Irishluck73. You have single handedly replaced my RSS feed for my news source. :D:D:D

Rated21R
03-18-10, 19:24
You have to love the police tips given out at the end of the video...lol

Alpha Sierra
03-18-10, 21:13
Who cares what the police say, think, or do?

Bowser
03-18-10, 21:23
WTF? At about 1:49 the reporter says "Now police don't suggest taking your life into your own hands..." That is completely ludicrous.

OTO27
03-18-10, 22:14
WTF? At about 1:49 the reporter says "Now police don't suggest taking your life into your own hands..." That is completely ludicrous.
I am a LEO, and I'll be straight to the point, Most agencies will give the same type of advice, and its all for one reason only, that is to avoid lawsuits. Think about it, if they were to say its ok to go ahead and excercise your right to make citizens arrest's and as a result of that departments avice some one inocent ends up dead, what do you think its going to happen? They would get sued, thats what. So its not that we think citizens are powerless, we are just covering our behinds..lol.

landrvrnut22
03-18-10, 22:30
Just another reason why I got my CCW. The police are only there to draw chalk outlines, take photos, and write up the paperwork. By the time they are called, it is way too late.

There was a shooting 1 block from the townhouses I just spent 2 years building. I have carried everyday since getting my license just for this reason.

http://www.ohio.com/news/break_news/88391627.html

ramrod
03-18-10, 22:41
Do the cops follow there own advice?

Cascades236
03-19-10, 00:01

The advice is obviously for the lowest common denominator and actually pretty sound for that crowd.

The situations are dynamic and for persons who don't care to train giving up the wallet may be the best thing to do...it is certaintly what I prefer my grandma to do but she doesn't know the darndest thing about firearms.

And as was said above, the advice is made with lawsuits in mind.

Irish
03-19-10, 00:07
Thank you Irishluck73. You have single handedly replaced my RSS feed for my news source. :D:D:D

You're welcome :)

Irish
03-19-10, 00:17

You should emulate your avatar.

Bowser
03-19-10, 00:43
I am a LEO, and I'll be straight to the point, Most agencies will give the same type of advice, and its all for one reason only, that is to avoid lawsuits. Think about it, if they were to say its ok to go ahead and excercise your right to make citizens arrest's and as a result of that departments avice some one inocent ends up dead, what do you think its going to happen? They would get sued, thats what. So its not that we think citizens are powerless, we are just covering our behinds..lol.

I understand that, but still, to have to even say that just to cover their own asses is retarded.

Irish
03-19-10, 00:55
Four dose hooo kant figyour it owt duh pohleese r sayng dats wut ewe shud dew sew u dont git n twuble wit duh law.

It's not rocket science, most people who watch the local evening news are not the typical M4C member. They do not own firearms, train with them or understand the repercussions that come along with making the decision to pull the trigger. If you haven't figured it out yet most people on this forum are a little different than the "norm".

Alpha Sierra
03-19-10, 05:32

I understand what you are saying and I know that rank and file cops do not (for the most part) think like the bosses. But then perhaps the brass should just STFU and not editorialize.

RWK
03-19-10, 07:44
I understand that, but still, to have to even say that just to cover their own asses is retarded.

"They" don't have to say it but, they always do. Every time I read/watch one of these types of stories I find myself thinking "wait for it, wait for it -- here comes the admonishment from the police".

Four dose hooo kant figyour it owt duh pohleese r sayng dats wut ewe shud dew sew u dont git n twuble wit duh law.

It's not rocket science, most people who watch the local evening news are not the typical M4C member. They do not own firearms, train with them or understand the repercussions that come along with making the decision to pull the trigger. If you haven't figured it out yet most people on this forum are a little different than the "norm".

So, how about some constructive advice then? Something like, if you're going to carry a firearm for self-protection, please be sure to receive appropriate training in its use, etc. etc., and that it's carried legally. Or would that be too much to ask from us common folk?

If it's too much to ask, then...

...perhaps the brass should just STFU and not editorialize.

Irish
03-19-10, 08:50
"They" don't have to say it but, they always do. Every time I read/watch one of these types of stories I find myself thinking "wait for it, wait for it -- here comes the admonishment from the police".

So, how about some constructive advice then? Something like, if you're going to carry a firearm for self-protection, please be sure to receive appropriate training in its use, etc. etc., and that it's carried legally. Or would that be too much to ask from us common folk?

I agree with you 100%. However, they're politicians who want to keep their jobs. We are the minority.

Business_Casual
03-19-10, 09:11
I used to live in Columbus, and if someone did that to a lot of the guys I know, they would pin him to the wall with their truck just for sport.

M_P

The_War_Wagon
03-19-10, 09:47

Am I supposed to wait around for a while, and put it in theirs instead? Can I call Dominoes, first? :rolleyes:

pilotguyo540
03-19-10, 10:53
Am I supposed to wait around for a while, and put it in theirs instead? Can I call Dominoes, first? :rolleyes:

I agree too. The police ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR SAFETY. That only leaves you. Kind of a lonely place isn't it? Since they are not responsible for me, and I shouldn't take my life into my own hands, I guess that leaves God? This trend does not sit well with me.

geminidglocker
03-19-10, 11:35

Yup, like you life is better left in the hands of a criminal bent on commiting a robbery???
I do commend the guy for his restraint, however. It's tough not to commence hole punching once you've presented your weapon.

ramrod
03-20-10, 15:49
No respect for hypocrites!

WillBrink
03-20-10, 16:04
Who cares what the police say, think, or do?

I do. You should too, as it effects all of us directly or indirectly. The "advice" given is worthless and potentially dangerous. Very few rank n file feel that way at least. Liability fearful politicians, dept. lawyers, brass who care more about their future career in politics, etc are to blame for the victim mentality they offer to citizens. Anyone high enough up who says "good for him, I wish more citizens did that" will see their future career suddenly dry up, with some parts of the country worse then others in that respect.

MarshallDodge
03-20-10, 16:17
You have to love the police tips given out at the end of the video...lol

No kidding. You would think that the good guys are competing for their business or something. :rolleyes:

ZakS
03-20-10, 21:54
if i was stopping by the bank on morse and karl at 1am, bringing the gun would be a nobrainer lol

Alpha Sierra
03-20-10, 23:02
I do. You should too, as it effects all of us directly or indirectly. The "advice" given is worthless and potentially dangerous. Very few rank n file feel that way at least. Liability fearful politicians, dept. lawyers, brass who care more about their future career in politics, etc are to blame for the victim mentality they offer to citizens. Anyone high enough up who says "good for him, I wish more citizens did that" will see their future career suddenly dry up, with some parts of the country worse then others in that respect.

I can see you live in Massachussets where whatever your chief of police thinks has a direct effect on your right to keep and bear arms.

I, however, do not live there.

I truly do not GAF what my state's highway patrol commisioner, county sheriff (which unlike Mass sheriffs is a professional agency with full police powers), or city police chief think of gun rights, self defense, or any other topic.

The legislature here calls the tune and the police dance to it. I can no more be arbitrarily denied a LTC than I can be told to fly to the moon. And in any case, an LTC here is not needed to purchase, possess, or use firearms.

And I can assure you that your belief that any law enforcement leader will end up in a career dead end if he encourages self defense is far from universal. Lots of sheriffs in free america would disagree with you.

I still don't give a flying fornication what my local or state cop brass thinks about armed self defense. Their opinion is irrelevant, both legally and politically.l

OTO27
03-21-10, 00:37
Perhaps the better advice would be to encourage LTC citizens to seek self improvement by attending courses which improve their knowlege about firearms usage in stressful situations and the use of force. Run them through reality based training scenarios. unfortunately I have seen this scenario many times in my LE carreer and not end up looking so good for the good guy. Not long ago I answered a robery in progress at a 7 eleven. the rober pulled a gun on the clerk and demanded $, the clerk pulled his gun, pulled the triger, and nothing happened, needless to say the rober shot and killed the clerk. the clerk never had a round in the chamber and I guess he figured by pointing a gun at the guy he would scare him away. If the clerk had taken just a 1 hour rbt scenario training he may have at least learned to walk around with a round chambered.