PDA

View Full Version : AZ - Daughter's ex-boyfriend shot by father during assault. (Video)

Irish
03-18-10, 10:38
This is one for the dads who have daughters. I'm not condoning shooting the little ****er who comes to pick up your daughter for prom but I know lots have thought about it. http://www.azfamily.com/news/Father-allegedly-shoots-daughters-ex-boyfriend-after-early-morning-fight-88172062.html

PHOENIX -- A Valley man is in the hospital after being shot by his ex-girlfriend's father during a fight.

It happened at about 1:30 a.m. in the neighborhood of 51st Avenue and Beardsley Road. Officers were still on the scene five hours later.

Detectives said it started when Daniels Fuches, 26, and his ex-girlfriend, whose name has not been released, ran into each other at a bar earlier in the night. The two apparently had a drink and then Fuches offered the 27-year-old woman a ride home. During that ride, the two apparently got into an argument about their breakup.

When the pair arrived at the house, the woman got out of Fuches' vehicle and kicked it. Police said Fuches then got out of the vehicle and started choking the woman.

The woman's father, who was inside the house at the time, heard the commotion and looked out his second-story window to see what was happening.

After yelling at Fuches to stop choking his daughter, the 56-year-old man got his gun and fired a shot out the window.

When that didn't stop Fuches, the man climbed out the window and jumped down the hood of his car, which was parked in the driveway.

According to police, the man approached Fuches, who was still choking the woman, and hit him with the weapon. As the attack continued, the man shot Fuches in the leg.

Police said Fuches then turned on the man, coming at him with a large rock he'd picked up from the ground. The man fired again, this time hitting Fuches in the groin.

Neighbors told 3TV that they heard screaming and a struggle followed by gunshots. That's when they called 911.

The father, who also called the police, rendered aid to Fuches until paramedics arrived. Fuches' injuries reportedly were not life threatening; he is expected to recover.

Investigators at the home said the woman suffered injuries consistent with being choked and dragged through gravel. She was treated at the scene, but was not taken to the hospital.

The incident is under investigation.

Fuches is facing assault charges, but at this point, the woman's father has not been charged with anything. Police said it's not yet known if charges will be filed against him.

According to Arizona law (Title 13 - Criminal Code, Chapter 4), "a person is justified in threatening or using physical force against another when and to the extent a reasonable person would believe that physical force is immediately necessary to protect himself against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful physical force." Depending on the situation, that justification can be extended to protect a third person. Investigators, however, must consider the circumstances of the individual incident to determine any such shooting was indeed justified.

jaydoc1
03-18-10, 11:22
And this is also why you don't shoot to wound an assailant. If you pull a gun you better use it to full effect. A gun is not intended to wound, it's intended to kill.

Mistake 1: Warning shot out the window.
Mistake 2: Getting close enough to hit the assailant with your gun.
Mistake 3: Shooting the assailant in the leg thus giving him the chance to attack.
Mistake 4: Shooting the assailant in the groin. That's too much like a payback shot.

If things are bad enough to shoot someone then it's time to put them down for good. Someone coming at you with a rock is one of those times.

Happy things turned out as well as they did.

Oh yeah, tell your daughter not to kick her ex-boyfriend's car while in an argument with him thus provoking him to the point where you have to shoot him!

Jay Cunningham
03-18-10, 11:39
And this is also why you don't shoot to wound an assailant. If you pull a gun you better use it to full effect. A gun is not intended to wound, it's intended to kill.

Mistake 1: Warning shot out the window.
Mistake 2: Getting close enough to hit the assailant with your gun.
Mistake 3: Shooting the assailant in the leg thus giving him the chance to attack.
Mistake 4: Shooting the assailant in the groin. That's too much like a payback shot.

If things are bad enough to shoot someone then it's time to put them down for good. Someone coming at you with a rock is one of those times.

You don't shoot to kill an assailant either. You shoot to stop them in the most efficient manner. This may kill them; it may not.

If you "pull a gun" it would be great if the threat ran away screaming. This equals a win.

Warning shots? I generally don't think that they're a good idea, but I know guys that have employed them and resolved the situation without killing someone. I am not endorsing them but I am not going to completely write them off either. It's easy to say you should "never" do this or "always" do that.

Irish
03-18-10, 12:16
I may not agree with all of his actions, like a warning shot and pistol whipping the guy, but it sounds like he was trying to do everything he could to stop the attack without having to actually kill the guy.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-18-10, 12:50
Nice looking neighborhood. Reading the story made me think it happened in a trailer park.

mnoe82
03-18-10, 12:58
Nice looking neighborhood. Reading the story made me think it happened in a trailer park.

2 story trailers?

Irish
03-18-10, 12:59
2 story trailers?

Yours doesn't have a second level? :D

NWPilgrim
03-18-10, 14:03
You don't shoot to kill an assailant either. You shoot to stop them in the most efficient manner. This may kill them; it may not.

If you "pull a gun" it would be great if the threat ran away screaming. This equals a win.

Warning shots? I generally don't think that they're a good idea, but I know guys that have employed them and resolved the situation without killing someone. I am not endorsing them but I am not going to completely write them off either. It's easy to say you should "never" do this or "always" do that.

Generally I would agree that warning shots are not wise. But in this case it appears the Dad may have been on the move to aid his daughter and the shot was an attempt to scare the attacker while he Dad is too far away to actually shoot the guy without hitting his daughter.

I imagine if that had been my daughter I would be yelling, shooting in the air, throwing shingles or whatever I could to distract or frighten the attacker until I could get close enough to physically intervene with gun or whatever means possible to stop him and not harm my daughter in the process.

But if he fired the shot as a warning and waited to see what would happen, then that is not good tactics legally speaking.

Anyway., +1 for Dads!!!!

Erik 1
03-18-10, 14:17
I imagine if that had been my daughter I would be yelling, shooting in the air, throwing shingles or whatever I could to distract or frighten the attacker until I could get close enough to physically intervene with gun or whatever means possible to stop him and not harm my daughter in the process.

Me too! Coming at me with a rock, or a gun for that matter, is better than continuing to choke my little girl.

mnoe82
03-18-10, 18:09

hahaha

Bowser
03-18-10, 18:28

It is possible he opted for the double wide model.

jaydoc1
03-18-10, 19:40

For my information, what other manner, once you've decided that the use of deadlyforce is necessary, would be appropriate and efficient use of your firearm?

No question. Not really the case here, though. Warning shot+pistol whipping (seriously?)+gunshot to leg=assailant still attacking. Not a win by a longshot. Then he shot him in the groin. Think there's a civil suit coming there? Most assuredly not a win.

While it might be easy to say "never" or "always" that is certainly not what I'm doing here. A warning shot is a danger to other persons unless you've just shot it into the ground at your feet. A stray shot, while maybe scaring off the attacker, may also be landing in an innocent bystander. So yes, I guess in this case I am saying "never". If I've had to present a firearm in defense of myself or another person then endangering others by firing a warning shot would be verboten in all cases. If I'm going to pull the trigger it's going to be (ideally) with the gun aimed at the assailant. If lethal force isn't warranted then the gun should never have come into play in the first place.

There are (at least here in Colorado) strict rules under which a firearm may be used in defense of yourself or others so there are legal absolutes whether you agree with them or not. A warning shot isn't legal.

This is why I "almost never" answer these armchair quarterback threads, because I think you and I are probably on exactly the same page about this stuff but since we're limited to communicatin in sound bites differences of opinion often appear when none exist.

ZDL
03-18-10, 20:12

Spiffums
03-18-10, 20:23
2 story trailers?

They have them. It;s more like a big attic but you could have a bedroom in one.

Jay Cunningham
03-18-10, 22:36
This is why I "almost never" answer these armchair quarterback threads, because I think you and I are probably on exactly the same page about this stuff but since we're limited to communicatin in sound bites differences of opinion often appear when none exist.

Probably true.

11Bravo
03-18-10, 22:45
I'm guessing that he fired a the first "warning" shot to avoid hitting his daughter.
And it just says he hit the douche bag in the leg and groin, it doesn't say he aimed at them.

Alpha Sierra
03-19-10, 05:51
If he had the chance to walk right up to pistol whip him he had the chance to put a hole in his temple.

You hurt my child and hell will rain down on you.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-19-10, 17:56
You hurt my child and hell will rain down on you.

If not from me, from my brothers....

On the 2nd story, I just saw that he jumped out the window...

On warning shots, the only time I see warning shots being effective is in a civil unrest situation where the rioters don't realize that things have gotten serious. One or more rounds may not make a difference in the end, but one bang may focus peoples attention quickly. I don't see them effective in a direct action role.

RWK
03-19-10, 20:05
Does it make me a bad person if my first thought was that, depending upon the car she kicked, maybe a little choking was in order...?

Honu
03-19-10, 21:58
Does it make me a bad person if my first thought was that, depending upon the car she kicked, maybe a little choking was in order...?

I am thinking you do not have a daughter ? :)

chances are I would say what did the jerk do to make her kick the car !

my daughter I hope would never get together with a guy like that ?

steve-oh
03-20-10, 04:55
This story makes me laugh! Glad the shooter isn't being charged.