PDA

View Full Version : Hot Brass in Shirt, Gunshot Wound to Leg

OldGreg
03-18-10, 13:27
Sounds awful!

A 22-year-old Fremont woman accidentally shot herself at an indoor shooting range in town last week, Milpitas Police Department reported.

On March 10 at about 7:43 p.m., Milpitas police responded to Target Masters shooting range at 122 Minnis Circle on a report of a person being shot. Upon investigation, officers determined the woman was shooting a gun for the first time, when an ejected bullet casing landed in her shirt, police said.

The first-time shooter attempted to remove the hot casing from her clothing while holding the gun and it accidentally discharged. Police said the woman was shot in the leg and transported to a local hospital for treatment and she is expected to survive. There were no other reported injuries.

"It was purely accidental from our investigation," Milpitas police Sgt. Huy Tran said.

This is the second time in about two months that someone has accidentally shot themselves at Target Masters...

http://firingpinjournal.com/2010/03/18/hot-brass-in-shirt-gunshot-wound-to-leg/

03-18-10, 13:31
Whenever working with someone new to firearms, I always discuss hot brass. They instantly see why it is so important to retain discipline when it happens. It's not a matter of if, but when. The worst for me was somehow getting a 5.56 case inside of eyepro. One in a million shot doc, one in a million.

John_Wayne777
03-18-10, 13:34
It happens...which is why people should exercise a bit of discipline when they end up with burning brass at the range. A little hot brass down the shirt and dudes start dancing and waving their muzzle all over the place.

JonnyVain
03-18-10, 13:39
My brother got it in his shoe. Burt his heel pretty bad. He didn't shoot anyone though.

rifleman2000
03-18-10, 14:27
I wonder what kind of shirt was involved and what natural terrain canalized the brass?

Sudden
03-18-10, 14:30
Whenever working with someone new to firearms, I always discuss hot brass. They instantly see why it is so important to retain discipline when it happens. It's not a matter of if, but when. The worst for me was somehow getting a 5.56 case inside of eyepro. One in a million shot doc, one in a million.

Yes, very important. The last one I had was a round landed on my neck stayed right at my t-shirt collar. Left a nice scar for a while.

Macx
03-18-10, 14:35
I wonder what kind of shirt was involved and what natural terrain canalized the brass?

It sounds like you are advocating modesty by women at the range . . . . very. . . . progressive. ;)

CyberM4
03-18-10, 14:39
Wearing tank tops while shooting will go down your shirt. I've had this happen too me a few times. Let alone bouncing off your head.

glockeyed
03-18-10, 14:45
happened to my wife. although she started to flag the line with muzzle, she at least had the booger hook off the loud button!

Failure2Stop
03-18-10, 14:51
I like to brief muys on the "Burning Man" procedure/rules.

Whatever you do, keep your muzzle pointing in a safe direction.
Do not move forward of the firing line or turn toward other shooters
Don't be a pussy.

madisonsfinest
03-18-10, 14:58
Not sure how but I got one down my vest years ago! lol

Hoss356
03-18-10, 15:01
I had a .45 shell somehow wedge it's way between my safety glasses and my right temple, I felt the casing bounce off the side of my head after it was deflected by the lane stall, but I didn't feel it start burning till I was sighting in for my next shot. This was just after I bought my first pistol but even being new I still had the common sense to set the 1911 down, muzzle down range, before addressing the problem.

Lesson learned for me, don't hug the right of the stall.

Erik 1
03-18-10, 15:03
Don't be a pussy.

I'm going to make that my fifth rule of firearm safety.

trunkmonkey
03-18-10, 15:16
oh jesus that is funny!!

Little bit of discipline. I have some beautiful scars from hot brass.

OldGreg
03-18-10, 15:23
I guess it happens more than i thought. Bunch of hot brass down shirt type vids on youtube. I'm assuming most of you have seen this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWO-EzoIbSs&feature=related Looks like her booger hook (love that!) is still on the trigger.

Mo_Zam_Beek
03-18-10, 15:51
Pistol brass is annoying but not a big deal (yes I have had it trapped inside my eye pro cheek too). Rifle brass.... and particularly .308 on the other hand....you have to peel it off yourself.

Good luck

dbrowne1
03-18-10, 16:04
This is a huge problem. I'm not in the training business, but on occasion I'll take somebody new out who hasn't shot much or perhaps has never shot a handgun or an evil SBR - and this is a scenario that I always and specifically warn them about, emphasizing that no matter what happens - that gun stays pointed THAT way. You can jump up and down, scream as loud as your lungs will go, curse at me and my mother - but the gun stays pointed THAT way.

I've seen more than one loaded gun pointed at another human being because of hot brass landing on skin, and I saw a guy (who was a turd to begin with) get kicked out of a carbine class a couple years ago after he a ND due to dancing around from brass going down his neck and into his collar. Fortunately the ND went into the berm, but still ...

landrvrnut22
03-18-10, 16:13
I warned my wife that it would happen, and no matter what, finger off the trigger, safety on, and keep the muzzle towards the target.

She had it happen to her at the indoor range last time, and it went right between the girls. She had the sense to put the gun on the shelf with the muzzle towards the target, and recompose herself. She got the gold star for the day.

This is another reason why I start off new shooters with only 1 round in a magazine till they get comfortable, then go to 5, then 10.

Titleist
03-18-10, 16:14
Happened about a dozen times in our Magpul class. Travis taught us that if you get brass down your shirt just shake it out, don't be a monkey about it.

It burns, it sucks, tough it out.

signal4l
03-18-10, 17:02
A friend of mine has a nice scar on his neck from a 5.56 case. The case stuck to his neck and caused 3rd degree burns. It was fired from a M4 on full auto.

This thread is a decent reminder to breif new shooters of this issue

OldGreg
03-18-10, 17:04
This is another reason why I start off new shooters with only 1 round in a magazine till they get comfortable, then go to 5, then 10.

I really like that idea.

Gutshot John
03-18-10, 17:08
I almost was shot at a Pat Rogers class by a ****wad who couldn't control himself which is what dbrowne was referring to. It didn't go into the berm though, it went into the deck between me and another shooter.

I like to call it the "Gom Jabbar." Hot brass is a fact of life...get a straw...suck it up. You're responsible for every round you fire.

Belmont31R
03-18-10, 17:20
Seen some nasty burns from hot brass on the neck. My wife has gotten a few down her shirt, and then she realized why, when I first took her shooting, I told her to wear something that isn't low cut.

LHS
03-18-10, 21:52
The worst I've seen was a woman who got a bit of hot 9mm down the front of her shirt. She was shooting a J-frame and had the hammer cocked when it happened. She jumped in the air and literally did a 360, sweeping everyone on the line. Thank god she had her finger straight. As soon as she did it, she realized what she'd done, and that was more devastating than the brass. She put the gun down and went to sit down in the shade, and didn't shoot the rest of the day. She knew exactly how close she came to putting a .38 in one of us. All I remember thinking was "I will NEVER say it's too hot to wear my vest at the range with newbs again."

skyugo
03-18-10, 22:17
It happens...which is why people should exercise a bit of discipline when they end up with burning brass at the range. A little hot brass down the shirt and dudes start dancing and waving their muzzle all over the place.

hell no dude.. finish the mag, reload, look left, look right, reholster, clear brass from shirt. :D

jaxman7
03-18-10, 22:18
I had a .45 shell somehow wedge it's way between my safety glasses and my right temple, I felt the casing bounce off the side of my head after it was deflected by the lane stall, but I didn't feel it start burning till I was sighting in for my next shot. This was just after I bought my first pistol but even being new I still had the common sense to set the 1911 down, muzzle down range, before addressing the problem.

Lesson learned for me, don't hug the right of the stall.

This is why (figured out the painful way) my local instructor demands we wear a ball cap during range sessions.

Kuro Ookami
03-18-10, 23:23
I thought you were supposed to just load one round in the gun before handing it to them? Don't know if they'll be surprised and sweep everyone at the range.

BrianS
03-19-10, 00:04
This is why (figured out the painful way) my local instructor demands we wear a ball cap during range sessions.

Hat isn't necessarily a cure-all.

I had a .45 case from a neighbor somehow make it in between my hat and glasses and land ON my eye while we were doing shooting while moving forward as a class. I was able to get my glasses off and the brass off my instantly shut eye PDQ with my off hand while keeping up with the rest of the line and keeping my gun pointed safely downrange with the other. Had a little burn on my eyelid for a few days. Luckily the case wasn't hot enough to scar my eyelid badly or burn my eye itself through the lid.

:p

lawusmc0844
03-19-10, 00:13
Wow I've been at that range too, with my parents. It is small and cramped but at least it was myself, mom and dad in one room.

I've gotten brass on me before but I shake that shit off or wear the right gear to prevent brass from getting lodged anywhere. The worst is getting a .45 case lodged between my glasses and right near my eye, shooting my Springfield GI indoors while the ****ing brass either hits my slide or my head, hard.

BAC
03-19-10, 00:18
I almost got shot at a local indoor range because of this... it's what prompted me to put together a GSW kit for my range bag.

-B

Ark1443
03-19-10, 05:48
Only at the in-door pistol range have I never had one casing go down my shirt.

When I took my cousin out for his first shooting experience last summer, the same pistol range, he had one go down his shirt, but he just leaned back and told me it was there, and did not even reach for it :p, so I shook his shirt which was loose and it fell out, no harm done.

As for my M1A, it ejects the brass so far out and almost forward some that I'll probably never have one of them find its way onto me.

lumpia
03-19-10, 06:01
I was actually there for the aftermath. I went with my kids to check out some pistol mag holsters for a class I was taking that weekend. There were maybe 8 MPD cars in the parking lot and a fire engine was leaving as we pulled up. They wouldn't let me in at first until I told them I was just looking to buy some accessories.

From the guys I talked to, it wasn't that bad of a wound. Two of her girlfriends were still there talking to the police and yes, they were smoking hot. I've seen some crazy shit over there from a bunch of wannabe nortenos joking about how they're practicing for their drive-by's, to guys shooting too low/high and ****ing up the building. Thursday nights are ladies nights; I won't even step foot in the building.

loupav
03-19-10, 10:11
Reminds me of all the hot brass scars I've received over the years. :D

dbrowne1
03-19-10, 10:57
I almost was shot at a Pat Rogers class by a ****wad who couldn't control himself which is what dbrowne was referring to. It didn't go into the berm though, it went into the deck between me and another shooter.

"****wad" would be a charitable description of that guy. He had firmly cemented his position as "that guy" well before that incident. Scary that it came that close - I was on the other relay and didn't see it, so I was going on my memory of Pat's account of it (which apparently was off somewhere in the translation...).

On a lighter note, I remember that sometime in the late 90s I had a shooting buddy with a HK-91. Those, like some other HK rifles, have fluted chambers that leave a distinctive fluting pattern on the fired brass. This guy got a piece of .308 brass stuck right between his collar and his neck, and I swear to this day I could see fluting on the burn scar.:D

RWK
03-19-10, 20:00
All of these "hot brass" stories are yet another reminder of why I don't go to public ranges anymore.

Don't be a pussy.

Sage advice!

Did Pat brand him a safety violator? (Pun intended)

I like to call it the "Gom Jabbar."

Funny!

jwfuhrman
03-19-10, 20:05
shooting a NRA High Power match, John C Garand Match(M1 Garands only). During rapid fire sitting, my spent .30-'06 case went down the shooting jacket and shirt of the shooter next to me. Never seen anyone shoot that fast with an M1 before, then jump up and strip outta one of those coats that quick haha

A-Bear680
03-20-10, 09:20
No matter how careful they are or what they wear -- almost everybody gets burned sooner or later.
But ...

Friends don't let friends wear brass funnels at the range.

rjacobs
03-20-10, 13:44
Im sure Ive been burned before but dont have any memorable ones though.

I was however at an outdoor, unpoliced range and "that guy" was there picking up range brass, which whatever, if thats how he wants to spend his free time go for it. I was shooting my 1911 and he was LEANING DOWN IN FRONT OF ME TO PICK UP THE BRASS I HAD JUST SHOT. I stopped shooting and basically screamed at the dude. He goes over to his bench about 2 stations down and I proceed to load a mag into my AR and shower the dude with hot brass, he was in the perfect position. He said something to me about it so I loaded up another mag and did it again. Needless to say he left us alone the rest of the day.

dmanflynn
03-21-10, 01:00
Im sure Ive been burned before but dont have any memorable ones though.

I was however at an outdoor, unpoliced range and "that guy" was there picking up range brass, which whatever, if thats how he wants to spend his free time go for it. I was shooting my 1911 and he was LEANING DOWN IN FRONT OF ME TO PICK UP THE BRASS I HAD JUST SHOT. I stopped shooting and basically screamed at the dude. He goes over to his bench about 2 stations down and I proceed to load a mag into my AR and shower the dude with hot brass, he was in the perfect position. He said something to me about it so I loaded up another mag and did it again. Needless to say he left us alone the rest of the day.

Thats hilarious, Ill pick up some range brass on accident thinking its my own but thats pretty damn disrespectful to pick up somebody elses casings:rolleyes:. I love how almost every unmonitored range has people like that at it some times. I shoot at a state range in KY sometimes, unpoliced, only 4 lanes. You have to shoot through a tube though, I guess because of somewhat close neighborhoods maybe, so I cant really see down range anyway, and this guy thats at the other side just walks down range as im firing and his friends abruptly yell at me to let me know hes down range:mad: People like that are just ****ing dumb. Theres no scheduled cease fire etc, so one would think that you'd generally just tell whoever is there if theres somebody else Im going out, it doesnt take but five words to avoid a potential death/injury from stupidity.

Thats really the closest range, other than the bluegrass armory's which is reserved to state and local police and mil. stationed at it. But I guess the up side to a local unmonitored range is eliminating the possibility of getting a dick of a range officer which Ive had too.

rjacobs
03-21-10, 10:04
Thats hilarious, Ill pick up some range brass on accident thinking its my own but thats pretty damn disrespectful to pick up somebody elses casings:rolleyes:

Did you read the part that I WAS STILL SHOOTING AND HE LEANED DOWN IN FRONT OF ME? That was what really got me going, he leaned down in front of my gun while I was still sending rounds down range. Then after I let him know that the brass was not his and showering him with hot brass he asks "u gonna pick up that .223 brass", why **** yes i am old man, I picked up the rest of MY brass and plan to pick up that brass as well. He left shortly after since I think he figured out I knew how to use a gun.

dmanflynn
03-21-10, 11:07
Did you read the part that I WAS STILL SHOOTING AND HE LEANED DOWN IN FRONT OF ME? That was what really got me going, he leaned down in front of my gun while I was still sending rounds down range. Then after I let him know that the brass was not his and showering him with hot brass he asks "u gonna pick up that .223 brass", why **** yes i am old man, I picked up the rest of MY brass and plan to pick up that brass as well. He left shortly after since I think he figured out I knew how to use a gun.

Jeez, I didnt realize that in your OP, thats crazy man.

99HMC4
03-21-10, 11:24
No one has mentioned 50 brass form an M2 yet? I bet those are nice and cool when the land on you...:)