PDA

View Full Version : New AR day

crazysgt
03-18-10, 22:10
Hello, my name is Mark. I am an army veteran of 15 yrs. I primarily was in the 4th Infantry Div at Ft. Hood, Texas. Today, after reading and much research decided to purchase another AR15. I previously had a BCM, that I really liked, never had any issues with it, sold it. Then the bug came back. I finally purchased a S&W M&P 15 OR. I installed a Magpul ACS stock, handguards with rails, broomstick style foregrip. Magpul MBUS sights, and of course Eotech 512 on it. Took it to the range, after zeroing, shot consistent 1 inch groups at 50 meters. Tried a few different brands of ammo, Remington, Federal, Wolf, and Fiocchi. All with the same results. I just thought I would state how pleased I am with an off the shelf rifle with few additions. Pics to follow soon.

Ratfink
03-19-10, 08:16
post up those pics cant wait to see it and the bug has got me right now too

NCHornet
03-19-10, 11:09
Be careful this disease is highly contagious. I have added $2500 to my CC bill in the last month. But you have to post pics or it didn't happen or exist. Sorry not my rules!! lol!! Welcome to the forum and Thank You for your service!!!

crazysgt
03-19-10, 11:55
Heres a quick pic of the black rifle so far. Im sure more is to come.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/enraged/IMG_2854.jpg

03-19-10, 13:00
A friendly word of advice: Remove anything made by UTG from the rifle. Their products are at the bottom of the quality barrel. The last thing you want in a tight situation would be a part giving probs. due to piss poor quality. Avoid UTG like the plague. The Eotech isn't highly thought of here either. Not sure if they've fixed the problems. Not trying to ride you, just a little warning as to what may come.

mhanna91
03-19-10, 13:29
Yeah, I'll agree with the comment about UTG. But if EOTechs are so hated here then why is there a big ass EOTech advertisement at the top of the page? lol that 512 will do you fine. I have one on my M&P15 and it is serving me very well, despite getting thrown around in the truck/snow/mud regurlarly. And thank you for your service to our country!

crazysgt
03-19-10, 13:49
Yeah, thanks for your insight. But, opposed to popular belief, I like to actually "test" my own equiptment, then make my decision. Im sure as with all companies, people judge by others opinions rather than their own. As far as the Eotech, I know that the one I ran during all 3 trips to the sandbox, never let me down. Others may not like them, but it saved me more than a few times. Hard to knock what has really survived, and help others survive, not just shoot at a competition or range. I may though change the handguard for a YHM one, just for weight issues though.

mtdawg169
03-19-10, 14:07
Sgt, you may want to try a riser with the eotech. ADM & Larue make nice QD mounts and YHM makes a decent fixed riser that is affordable too. I ran an eotech for a while and I liked mine sitting a little higher. It allowed for a lower 1/3rd cowitness and I was able to shoot in a little more upright stance.

JonnyVain
03-19-10, 14:13
Best thing to do is stick with plastic handguards (magpul makes a nice aftermarket one you can mount rails to for your VFG) until you can get decent stuff. At 7", the carbine rail weight isn't that much, but it's still nicer to have a light Daniel Defense or Troy rail. You'll end up being happier with it in the long run.

MOE:
http://arniesairsoft.co.uk/news2/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/moe-handguard-rail-02.jpg

From what I've heard, Yankee Hill and Midwest Industries make the best lower priced rails. Solid build, but heavy. The expensive ones, you're paying for weight savings, and probably still more solid.

Nice weapon. Have fun with it.

mtdawg169
03-19-10, 14:15
Forgot to mention that if you're thinking about a different rail, you should take a hard look at the Daniel Defense Omega. You won't be dissappointed. You will find a lot of folks around here that like to knock the eotech. I wouldn't sweat it though, its your rifle & your $$. You have had enough experience with them to know if its the right optic for you. Congrats on the new rifle.

crazysgt
03-19-10, 14:21
Hey, once again, thanks for the info. I may be interested in the QD riser. Link one for me? Also, maybe a little info on the endplate for single point sling. I know Magpul's asap is liked, what about Midwests version. Looks like really only difference is one is mounted in place of OEM endplate, other is clamped over it. Heres is the one in question...
http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=297

JonnyVain
03-19-10, 14:48
Hey, once again, thanks for the info. I may be interested in the QD riser. Link one for me? Also, maybe a little info on the endplate for single point sling. I know Magpul's asap is liked, what about Midwests version. Looks like really only difference is one is mounted in place of OEM endplate, other is clamped over it. Heres is the one in question...
http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=297

DD has a couple nice ones.

http://www.adcofirearms.com/acc/ProductLine_.cfm?brand=Daniel%20Defense&product_category=Slings/Mounts/Bi-pods

Kevin12345
03-19-10, 15:30
Great looking M&P. I am sitting in the sandbox now, but ordered a M&P15T a month ago. Can't wait to get home and shoot it (and start adding things)!

hikeeba
03-19-10, 15:46
A friendly word of advice: Remove anything made by UTG from the rifle. Their products are at the bottom of the quality barrel. The last thing you want in a tight situation would be a part giving probs. due to piss poor quality.

The last thing you want to happen is have a rail panel fall off when you're battling zombies. I'll add that it looks like you have a commercial diameter stock extension and you're lacking a F marked FSB secured with taper pins, therefore your rifle must be absolute garbage. :rolleyes:

Just kidding, of course. ;)

Is that a UTG ~$8 broomhandle? That was the first VFG I purchased when I got into the AR thing. Worked well for me. It's on my 9mm now.

I have a YHM Lightweight mid-length handguard on one of my rifles, and it has been solid. I also recently picked up a YHM lightweight rifle-length for a build. What's not to like about solid and affordable?

Nice rifle. I'm glad you're pleased with it. I would be, too, if it were mine.

Remember911
03-19-10, 15:51
A big THANK YOU Mark my son ships out on the 15th of May

NCHornet
03-19-10, 18:06
As soon as I saw the UTG covers I knew what was to come. I wonder how many of the people that put them down have actually used one or had one fail? Not trying to be a smart a**, if I were going into combat I would probably buyer a higher quality rail as well. But one AR that I have came with the 7" UTG handguard rail system, and besides the weight and overall size this thing is rock solid. No movement at all, and it has stayed this way through all kinds of treatment. I have heard they are now made in the USA, but can't confirm this. They are heavier and thicker than the higher dollar rail systems but to some this may not be an issue. I know I will get flamed for this but Oh well. I actually have one and used one. I am plannin on the Omega for my new 6920 to see what the big difference is. Lighter and thinner would be nice but it sure won't be any more solid than the UTG rail I have, maybe I got lucky and got a good one? OK Flame suit on and fire extinguisher handy!!

RogerinTPA
03-19-10, 18:07
A friendly word of advice: Remove anything made by UTG from the rifle. Their products are at the bottom of the quality barrel. The last thing you want in a tight situation would be a part giving probs. due to piss poor quality. Avoid UTG like the plague. The Eotech isn't highly thought of here either. Not sure if they've fixed the problems. Not trying to ride you, just a little warning as to what may come.

You got that right.

As far as EOTech performance, subjective. One individual may not have problems, while another person will. I've had a 553 for a few years and by far it's my favorite red dot sight. I also have a Aimpoint M4S and H-1, that I also like, but more so for the battery life over the EOTech.

citizensoldier16
03-19-10, 18:22
The Eotech isn't highly thought of here either.

Really? :rolleyes:

Funny because many members here use them, enjoy them, and recommend them to others.

To the OP: 2 things regarding the Eotech -
1) Mount it as far forward as possible because this will aid in obtaining a quicker sight picture. Mine sits about half on the upper receiver and half on my DD Omega 7.0 rails.
2) If you're using the thumb screw, get rid of it and use the Allen screw. I used the thumb screw on mine for about 3 range trips and it kept coming loose. I switched to the Allen screw, torqued the little bastard down and have had zero problems since.

crazysgt
03-19-10, 18:40
Thanks all for the welcomes and info. I have only had this rifle for 3 months. Went through about 2k rounds so far. Zero problems, no FTF or FTE. As far as the railed HG's, to each his own, they feel really solid. I like em, so until they fubar, they will stay on. The VFG is a promag. Still cheap, about 10 bucks. One more thing about the Eotech, loads of us servicemen use em, without much problems besides operator errors. I did in fact though used a 3x magnifier on my service rifle, which I do not have yet. No thumbscrew for me thank you, lol.

Q-1
03-19-10, 19:10
The Eotech isn't highly thought of here either. Not sure if they've fixed the problems. Not trying to ride you, just a little warning as to what may come.

How about speaking for yourself.

crazysgt - Nice rig brother... BTW, did you have probs with your thumbscrew too? I used a tad of blue locktite and fixed it...it will still come off if needed.

Semper Fi

crazysgt
03-20-10, 15:00
Thanks, I havent had any issues with the thumbscrew, as I do not use it. I too used blue locktite on the allen bolt. I just today went to the range again, along with a few other fellas, all with either AK's or AR's, we all shot about 400 rounds today(Fiocchio), most shot at 75 meters, all within 1 1/2" groups. No problems with my UTG handguards, and promag VFG. Just a little range report.

sparky241
03-20-10, 15:49
I use an eotech 510 and havent had a single problem with it. Why is it being bashed so much. I thought it was a higher grade optic. The utg rails i had on my ar were solid i just didnt like the rail digging into my hand which is why i took it off and purchased the magpule moe stuff instead. Ive been happy with it ever since. To each there own.