PDA

View Full Version : discreet range/rifle bag

polymorpheous
03-18-10, 23:05
I'm looking for a backpack that has a padded insert for a laptop big enough to carry a broken down m4gery.

I'm thinking the upper and lower go in the laptop sleeve, (inside and outside the sleeve), and that leaves the rest of the backpack open for ammo, cleaning gear, safety gear, more ammo... you get the picture.

I really like the idea of taken one bag to the range.

Any thoughts?

Ak44
03-18-10, 23:15
Tennis racket bag :D

Complication
03-18-10, 23:33
I just got my Castle Rock Tactical discrete bag today (http://www.castlerocktactical.com/crt_dc16.htm).
I already love it. Carries broken-down AR's with up to 18" barrels. Pretty small, low profile, and sure as hell doesn't look like a rifle case (if you want to make sure no one will ever even think it's got a rifle in it, buy it in one of the bright colors like purple, blue, or red). Has a removable insert between sections, pockets for 6 mags, and then 2 more pockets about 2/5 the length of the bag each. It's got straps to secure the gun and 2 straps which can be arranged like a backpack or like a single shoulder-strap.

You can fit eye and ear pro in it, a cleaning kit, plus some tools and spare parts. You don't really need much more than that for a day at the range, but if you're looking for a bag that can fit all the equipment you'd need for a 2- or 3-day carbine course, you'll have to think bigger.

If you want something that looks more like a real backpack, you're going to have to get specialized. Unless you're talking about real SBR stuff, I doubt even a 16" bbl upper will fit in most backpacks. Plus, you really don't want stuff just rolling around, especially if you're running optics. Get a bag DESIGNED to hold a rifle and you'll usually get stuff to strap it down and properly protect everything.

If you're set on a real backpack, I just saw this Noveske backpack mentioned in another thread earlier: http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=backpack&cat=61&page=1&search=&since=&status=
But it's admittedly very pricey. Notice, however, how big it is. Even the biggest laptops are usually only 17" (and that's diagonally) a 16" bbl upper is going to be 24" or more.

Do yourself a favor and save up for a dedicated rifle bag. Saving $50 or $100 now will really suck when your mags smash into your optic or your cleaning kit scuffs up your frame.

polymorpheous
03-19-10, 08:16
If you're set on a real backpack, I just saw this Noveske backpack mentioned in another thread earlier: http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=backpack&cat=61&page=1&search=&since=&status=
But it's admittedly very pricey. Notice, however, how big it is. Even the biggest laptops are usually only 17" (and that's diagonally) a 16" bbl upper is going to be 24" or more.

That Noveske bag is pretty much what I'm looking for. It is pricey though.

BTW: My upper is 23" long. If that helps.

awm14hp
03-19-10, 12:58
Tennis racket, Field Hockey or Baseball bat bag. I looked at a nice Easton one for mine. And its hidden in plain view

ST911
03-19-10, 14:07
Noveske and Eagle make purpose built backpacks. Others make breakdown cases, such as BFG, Cav Arms.

Hit the search button. There are a bunch of threads on cases and discreet carbine carry, many with photos.

polymorpheous
03-19-10, 14:59
In Wisconsin, it is illegal to transport a firearm unless it is encased in container designed specifically for the purpose of transporting a firearm.

Here, it's the law so you may want to check up - I've seen several cases that I'd love to roll with for fishing rods, etc.

I can cite the law if you need - a cursory search for it didn't yield it immediately so I'll hold on that search until it is demanded. (ok ok I'm not THAT lazy)

Quote:
167.31 Safe use and transportation of firearms and
bows. (1) DEFINITIONS. In this section:
(b) “Encased” means enclosed in a case that is expressly made
for the purpose of containing a firearm and that is completely
zipped, snapped, buckled, tied or otherwise fastened with no part
of the firearm exposed.
167.31(2) PROHIBITIONS; MOTORBOATS AND VEHICLES; HIGHWAYS AND
ROADWAYS. (a) Except as provided in sub. (4), no person may
place, possess or transport a firearm, bow or crossbow in or on a
motorboat with the motor running, unless the firearm is unloaded
or unless the bow or crossbow is unstrung or is enclosed in a carry-
ing case.

:(

polymorpheous
03-19-10, 15:18
All that comes up in search are cases.
I was looking for a backpack type bag.

Turns out in WI I couldn't use a laptop backpack even if I wanted to.:(

ETA: I suppose the Noveske bag would be O.K. on account of it was design to carry a firearm.

Wicked
03-19-10, 15:48
I will second the Castle Rock Tactical bags. For a very reasonable price they are the best thing I have found. I've got two and although not a dedicated 'backpack' they do fill the bill and definitely do not look like gun cases. They come in like a dozen colors, including red and purple; that helps disguise their contents too. Blackhawk, Eagle and others discrete bags still look like gun cases to me.

Complication
03-19-10, 16:06
Blackhawk, Eagle and others discrete bags still look like gun cases to me.
Agreed. To some manufacturers "Discrete" seems to mean "doesn't have mag pouches on the outside or "doesn't come in ACU." Personally, I think any bag that's big enough to put a complete rifle in is going to say "gun" much more than a breakdown bag.

I can't think of too many things out there which are thin, long (36"+), and come in rectangular cases.* The Castle Rock bag is quite literally the size of a rectangular violin case. Or a trumpet. Or a camera/tripod bag. Or sound equipment.

*On the Magpul Dynamic Carbine DVD, Chris Costa says his bag (full size discrete case, 2 complete carbines) looks like a keyboard.

ST911
03-19-10, 17:35
All that comes up in search are cases.
I was looking for a backpack type bag. Turns out in WI I couldn't use a laptop backpack even if I wanted to.:( ETA: I suppose the Noveske bag would be O.K. on account of it was design to carry a firearm.

As applied to this scenario, that WI statute is difficult if not impossible to enforce.

A sports equipment, musical instrument, or other case modified to contain a gun, would indeed be "expressly made for the purpose of containing a firearm", though it retains its original function. Form is not the critical variable, function is.

Looking at various definitions in WI code, I can't find one applicable that would limit carry in this way. The purpose of that statute is to keep people from rolling a gun in a blanket and calling it good.

fourXfour
03-20-10, 13:44
Castle rock tactical is great. But the noveske bag does look good.

Complication
03-20-10, 15:30
My upper is 23" long. If that helps.

Mine is 23.5" (16" bbl) and there's 2" to spare. So 18" bbl or smaller is gtg.