PDA

View Full Version : FL - Intruder shot in retirement community.

Irish
03-19-10, 00:39
http://www.thearmedcitizen.com/2010/03/18/florida-2-charged-in-connection-with-home-burglary-shooting/

2 Charged In Connection With Home Burglary, Shooting

Detectives with the Martin County Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigations Division are investigating an early morning armed burglary and shooting.

Deputies went to a home in a Stuart retirement community in the 7200 block of Southeast Lillian Court on Saturday just before 5 a.m.

Investigators said a 911 caller reported that her husband had shot an intruder. They said Maureen Cassidy told them that she woke up when she heard a noise. She said she exited her bedroom and observed a male intruder in the home. She returned to the bedroom, she said, and woke up her husband, Charles.

She said her husband then retrieved his handgun, a Smith and Wesson 9-mm, and stood in the doorway of the bedroom, where he observed the male intruder walking toward him.

Police said they were told that Charles Cassidy shouted to the intruder, “Stop. I have a gun.” He said that the intruder continued to walk toward the bedroom area, at which time he fired one round from his handgun, striking the intruder in the hip area.

Police said the intruder fled the residence through a back door and exited a screened-in porch area.

Deputies said they found 24-year-old Senewa Kahle, of Hobe Sound, attempting to conceal himself and armed with a knife in the bushes outside the residence next door. He was transported to Lawnwood Regional Medical Center with injuries that are not life-threatening, investigators said.

Deputies conducted a search of the area and found a green 2000 Dodge Neon occupied by 24-year-old Kelly Black, of Stuart, at an adjacent residence. Kahle stated to detectives that Black drove him to the area.

Black is in custody at this time with no bond facing charges of accessory to occupied burglary while armed and possession of drug paraphernalia. She is also being charged in connection with an additional auto burglary reported in the same area.
Upon release from the hospital, Kahle will be charged with occupied burglary while armed.

There are no charges pending against the Cassidys, and neither victim reported any injuries.

Kahle has a criminal history that includes an arrest for aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, according to investigators. Black has a previous arrest for possession of oxycodone, they said.

The home that was burglarized is in a retirement community with residents 55 and older. Neighbors said they’re concerned about the break-in.

“Looks like someone’s checking out our neighborhood, seeing what they can grab,” said neighbor Lou Pachete.
News of the shooting has spread throughout the quiet community.

“I guess you’d say it’s pretty safe in here, but truly you’re not safe anywhere,” neighbor Bob Kennedy said. “I mean, he told the guy, ‘Stop and get out of here or I’ll shoot you.’ He didn’t stop, so he shot him.”

Neighbors said it was the homeowner’s right to defend himself, and they would do the same.

“In a heartbeat,” Pachete said. “If I couldn’t take him out with my hands, I’d have to do something. We’re getting up in age around here. We have to protect ourselves.”

Alpha Sierra
03-19-10, 05:41
Hey pops, aim higher next time will ya?

Or get a shotgun. Nobody's limping away with a knee wrecked by buckshot.