PDA

View Full Version : Removing MP Thumb Safety

Bpurcg19
03-19-10, 04:23
Hey everyone,

Does any one have a link to a good instruction on how to remove the thumb safety on an MP?

Thanks!
-B

SeaSoldier
03-19-10, 07:18
Google M&P armor's manual. That's how I found out how to detail strip and reassemble the M&P. You can also see the Apex Youtube video. If you decide to sell the part after removal send me a PM.

tracker722
03-20-10, 01:24

DocGKR
03-20-10, 01:35
Removing a manual safety on an M&P is not a liability concern, as the pistol is sold both ways from the factory. It takes about 5 minutes and is most easily done by removing the safety lever and switching the sear housing block assembly. Personally, I prefer having the ambi-safety.

tracker722
03-20-10, 01:44

lewis
03-20-10, 04:02
It may be, but from an LEO point-of-view, it is. Any unauthorized (factory or other) modifications opens up the matter of intent in the eyes of plaintiffs' attorney re: reckless homicide, at least in the state of Tennessee.

This could also apply to civilian use of a so-modified handgun.

Better safe than sorry.

I have heard this argument made over and over on the internet and in gun magazines, but in 16 years of police work, I have never heard it once in real life.

mike benedict
03-20-10, 07:03
Hey everyone,

Does any one have a link to a good instruction on how to remove the thumb safety on an MP?

Thanks!
-B

quite simple
Drive out the sear block pin
remove the sear block
take out the safety
replace the sear block
it is a 2 minute deal.

Mike

jmoore
03-20-10, 08:14
SOMEWHERE within just the last month or so, I read that S&W will sell you some "plugs" to fill the resulting holes left by the safety removal.

And that brings up a question. Are the safety vs. non-safety guns built differently, or do the factory issue non-safety guns simply have the "plugs" installed. I live in a handgun wasteland (Central IL - yeh, don't get me started about this shithole of a state:) - and don't have access to a non-safety model around here to look at.

Safe shooting!

D.O.A.F.S.
03-20-10, 08:24
I think the plugs for the frame are an urban myth, I removed the thumb saftey on mine and it is simple, but you are stuck with the notches in the frame. As far as the comment to buy one from S&W with out the saftey, I would have, but they don't offer the FDE frame with out the thumb saftey.

D.O.A.F.S.
03-20-10, 08:29
Looking at the two frames, with and without the thumb saftey, they just remove the material on the frame with the thumb saftey.

mike benedict
03-20-10, 08:33
SOMEWHERE

And that brings up a question. Are the safety vs. non-safety guns built differently, or do the factory issue non-safety guns simply have the "plugs" installed.

Safe shooting!

They are the same.
The factory non-safety pistols have frame plugs installed.
The little plugs just snap in place, they are quite ease to pop in and out.

Mike

calvin118
03-20-10, 09:27
Does anyone know where I could buy a sear housing and safety for my M&P45? Right now it has the plug and I'd like to trade up to the safety. I emailed S&W and they said that it would not be possible (despite the fact that the plug pops out).

ralph
03-20-10, 09:32
I think the plugs for the frame are an urban myth, I removed the thumb saftey on mine and it is simple, but you are stuck with the notches in the frame. As far as the comment to buy one from S&W with out the saftey, I would have, but they don't offer the FDE frame with out the thumb saftey.

Bullshit..I bought two of them for my midsize M&P from S&W about 2week ago, simply by calling and asking, when I removed my thumb safteys, They cost $3 apeice and you'll need 2. They do not interchange. Product code #'s are 392460000 frame plug (Left side of frame) and 392470000 frame plug (right side of frame) If you go to G&R website look up S&W pistols Grant has a good pic of a Midsize .45 without manual safteys...From the factory the frames are plugged.. To the OP call S&W's C.S. and use the product codes you should get the plugs, they are also very easy to install, and NO you don't glue them in place. The sear housing will hold them in place. Also, when you pull the sear housing out,and remove the saftey levers, on the left side of the housing there is also a spring loaded detent in the sear housing. The dentent clicks into the notches on the saftey levers, and basically holds them either up or down. This also should be removed, It'll come right out it's a small part so use some tweezers, hemostats, to grab ahold of it and lift it out of the housing. install the plugs install the sear housing and install the coil pin and you're in business.

HK45
03-20-10, 11:19
i also like the Dark Earth full size M&P but do not want the thumb safety. Good to know you can get plugs...maybe I'll go out and get a Dark Earth today...

DocGKR
03-20-10, 12:51
It may be, but from an LEO point-of-view, it is. Any unauthorized (factory or other) modifications opens up the matter of intent in the eyes of plaintiffs' attorney re: reckless homicide, at least in the state of Tennessee.

Since the factory sells the parts to make the change, since the factory certifies armorers and trains them to make the change, I am highly skeptical that it could ever be considered an "unauthorized" modification--numerous agencies here have pistols that have been so modified by their armorers and the sky has not fallen in.

HK45
03-20-10, 13:04
It is still something I think is worth taking into consideration and i will definitely plug up the holes so that it is not obvious the thumb safety was removed by me.

SeaSoldier
03-20-10, 13:11
I'm looking for a thumb safety if someone is selling. Just PM me a price.

SeaSoldier
03-20-10, 13:15

Better safe than sorry.

Sounds like someone spent to much time with M.A. :eek:

calvin118
03-20-10, 18:45
I'm not a lawyer, but I don't understand how removing a safety or lightening a trigger could lead to criminal or civil liability.

If you intend to shoot an assailant, your decision to shoot is justified, and the bullets hit their intended target, what's the difference? If anything, you took away impediments to accuracy which might endanger innocent parties down range.

If you have an accidental discharge or shoot someone under ambiguous circumstances, I could however see a problem.

Does anyone have a discrete example of a LEO or legally armed civilian justifiably shooting an assailant and then being convicted of a crime because they removed a safety or their trigger was too light... so long as there was no unintentional discharge involved?

HK45
03-20-10, 19:12
I have no personal experience of such things but I have read a zillion articles by Ayoob and others that this can be used against you in court for using an unsafe weapon or a "hair trigger". I would also assume that a justified shooting ruling would be less likely under such circumstances.

Heavy Metal
03-20-10, 19:47
Why not just carry with the safety off and pretend it's not there?

ralph
03-20-10, 21:10
I have no personal experience of such things but I have read a zillion articles by Ayoob and others that this can be used against you in court for using an unsafe weapon or a "hair trigger". I would also assume that a justified shooting ruling would be less likely under such circumstances.

That's the problem...Ayoob preaches this shit like it's gospel, But if you ask for proof, you know, actual court cases where these arguments were used, he can't provide any..

ralph
03-20-10, 21:11
Why not just carry with the safety off and pretend it's not there?

I tried that..for about a year, and it did'nt work for me. It's hard to ingnore something that's in the way all the time...

tracker722
03-21-10, 09:50

Littlelebowski
03-21-10, 18:06
Please don't remove a safety device on any pistol. You will only open yourself up to civil liability if used in a self defense situation.

If you don't want a pistol with a manual safety, buy a different handgun, but don't defeat something that was put there by the factory.

If it is only for gaming, make sure that is all it it used for if you remove the safety.

Prove it.

automan
03-22-10, 10:36

Massad Ayoob has an article about removing safety devices from pistols in the current issue of Combat Handguns, I believe it s the June issue.

Irish
03-22-10, 10:44
Massad Ayoob has an article about removing safety devices from pistols in the current issue of Combat Handguns, I believe it s the June issue.

He is not a lawyer, nor is he the end all be all of firearms laws. He's authored a lot of advice I wouldn't take or give to others.

JDM92103
03-22-10, 14:06
I have a M&P Compact 45 and the thumb saftey was getting in the way. After reading this thread I called up S&W to order the plugs at first they said they were only sold with the frame kit. I gave him the product codes for the parts he said he didn't even know they were making them. I explained my problem with the thumb saftey to him. They are sending them free of charge which I thought was pretty cool even though they are only $6.00 bucks.

Never had to deal with S&W CS before though I have had to deal with other company's in the past and they wouldn't even replace a broken part half the time. I was very impressed by the CS department at S&W first time I have ever gotten off the phone with a CS person and not had a headace.

mike benedict
03-24-10, 15:08
I got a couple of sets of the plugs but they only come in black
so I guess my brown compact will have to live with black plugs.

Mike

Tennvol12345
03-24-10, 17:02
Prove it.

Agree. I asked my wife (she's a lawyer) and she said a good shoot is a good shoot. Of course your laws may vary. In VA it's based on case law.

HowardCohodas
03-24-10, 17:35
Hey everyone,

Thanks!
-B

This post I wrote has a link with pictures to help you. How to: Use Crimson Trace Lasergrips on M&Ps with Thumb Safety (https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=320098&postcount=1)

RobMoore
03-24-10, 18:00
He is not a lawyer, nor is he the end all be all of firearms laws. He's authored a lot of advice I wouldn't take or give to others.

I wish I'd found this site sooner. I thought I was the only one who felt this way.

calvin118
03-24-10, 19:12
Ayoob's advice comes from a few cases he was involved in where a revolver was cocked to single action mode, and a suspect was accidentally shot. The trigger was ~3lbs with no pretravel.

He advises not to have a trigger 'lighter than the manufacturer says is safe for that pistol'. In other places, he says that he would not go below four pounds. He justifies this out of concern that the shooter might be accused of accidentally shooting the attacker and then making up a story to cover his tracks.

I think this argument is absurd, as you could just as easily be accused of staging your heavy trigger and accidentally going a bit too far. In fact, you might be even more likely to try to stage your trigger for a critical shot if the trigger is prohibitively heavy. Pretravel is a very important issue too. In my opinion it has a lot more to do with preventing this kind of accident than trigger weight- so long as the shooter knows how to shoot the correct way and does not stage the trigger.

Pi3
03-26-10, 17:10
Is the reverse true? Can an M&P without a safety have one added?

HowardCohodas
03-26-10, 19:06
Is the reverse true? Can an M&P without a safety have one added?

Not very conveniently. Easiest way is to buy a new gun.

Urabus23
07-05-10, 22:24
I removed the safety on my 40c and got the plugs from G&R. I took a couple of pictures to show the spring/detent that also needs to be taken out.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj177/PukaMan808/Guns/CIMG1014.jpg

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj177/PukaMan808/Guns/CIMG1016.jpg

Rated21R
07-05-10, 22:40
I will be doing this soon as the only compact I could get at the time I got mine was with the safety. Just the way it worked out. I will be getting the plugs from Grant too.

JacksonDavion
07-06-10, 18:42
Just as a quick aside, you CAN remove the safety and get the plugs into the frame without removing that detent and spring, it's just not easy. After I did it, I decided I should have just removed it first.

Sigaholic
07-17-10, 20:02
After reading this post, I decided to remove the thumb safety from my M&P...very simple to do (coming from someone not very mechanically inclined). I really enjoy not have the safety to deal with any more.

ralph
07-17-10, 20:38
After reading this post, I decided to remove the thumb safety from my M&P...very simple to do (coming from someone not very mechanically inclined). I really enjoy not have the safety to deal with any more.

That makes two of us!:D