PDA

View Full Version : Knife/tool for EOD

akxj
03-19-10, 05:59
Really, Dont know if this is the correct area to put this but here goes...

Currently, I am working with a machine shop to produce an EOD knife as all the once out there currently are crap in my opinion. Here's my requirements:

Used as a prybar without bending or breaking
Will still hold an edge
Weight is somewhat of a consideration
I will be incorporating a glasssbreaker
paracord cutter integrated into the sheath
skinner
2 types of serrated blades

Currently, I'm looking at CPM30SV, A2, and W2 as far as steels good. I'd like to do titanium, but I have reservations against titanium and breakage; but I'm not opposed to it.

So if you have experiences with knife-making, metallurgy, real world ops (military or civilian) on what you think a knife would need....Even if you just own a knife and like something about it, post up...thanks....Eric

CGoodwin
03-19-10, 06:49
My $.02 on A2:

I used to own a LOT of Bark River Knife & Tool knives which were made out of A2. These blades were among the sharpest I had ever seen from the factory. Unfortunately, they would dull VERY easily and in a couple of cases, sustained edge rolls and nicks with relatively little provocation. They were always easy to clean up on the belt grinder and were extremely easy to redress in the field with a strop and some compound. So, as far as durability of edge, I would say not the greatest.

My EDC knives are Seki V8-10 Spyderco's as they are discreet enough to carry without freaking out the sheeple and hold an edge well. My go to kit knife is a Swamp Rat Scrapper 5 LE in Jerry Busse's secret INFI steel. Sharp and tough!

tracker722
03-19-10, 23:40

akxj
03-20-10, 08:08
Thanks; that is a good starting point...appreciate it...

bgoode
03-20-10, 17:20
Out of your choices I would choose A2. I am also a big fan of O-1 steel as well. Both will tarnish and rust but are tough as nails!!! The A2 gets a toughness edge over 0-1 and will be easier for the machine shop to heat treat I am guessing.

For a more stain and rust friendly knife check out D2 stock.

akxj
03-20-10, 19:17
Thanks Brian for your incite, good to see a knife maker add his opinion to the subject....

l3mon
03-22-10, 20:51
This is what i have, and i love it, cheap, strong as shit!! and you can make it into a knife..

http://www.countycomm.com/eodrtool.htm