PDA

View Full Version : Advice/opinions on potential DD M4 purchase

d_spencer
03-19-10, 10:50
Hi all,

Been lurking for a while to gather information, but I'm anxious to make a purchase soon and I'm hoping to get some advice so I don't have a $2k regret.

Background info: I'm hoping to spend around 2k for the rifle, optic and extra magazines and some accessories. I owned a Bushmaster (it was a gift) with a Bushnell RDS for about a year but it was stolen so I need to replace it. The good news is now I can plan out the gun myself. My use for the weapon will be: target shooting, tactical shooting classes, home/self defense in case of societal chaos or zombie attack (not shooting intruders inside the house - I have a shotgun for that). I'd like to shoot 1k-3k rounds per year but I most likely won't shoot more due to time/money constraints.

The plan: I live in Ohio near AIM surplus and they have a DD M4 for 1299 (http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1DDM4&groupid=11). I know that it can probably be found a bit cheaper elsewhere but if I have to pay for shipping/FFL fees it probably won't help. Sales tax might change that but my understanding is that G&R (my next choice) is also in Ohio so I'd still be paying that I guess.

Based on a recent similar thread I'm interested in an Aimpoint C3 and BFG Victory Sling (per Rob's suggestion) but would like to see them in person first.

I have ammo and p mags and will continue to stock up on both.

So if I could get any advice on these questions I'd be very grateful:

1. Are there any issues with the rifle itself and is it a reasonable price (doesn't have to be the cheapest possible). Do I need to worry about a mid-length gas system?

2. Can I mount the aimpoint and use folding BUIS (possibly magpul)? I don't know if the iron sights that come with the rifle are removable (by a novice). I would prefer to at least have the option of not cowitnessing the sights.

3. Can anyone recommend a good training course within a few hours drive of Dayton, Columbus or Cincinnati Ohio? Preferably one that doesn't cost more than the rifle.

4. Anything I'm missing?

Thanks for all the great info I've already gathered from the forum.

REL1203
03-19-10, 11:02
I too am about to pull the trigger on a DDM4, all the research I have done points to this rifle being very Solid, well done, and doesnt break the bank.

5pins
03-19-10, 11:48
How far is G&R from you? If it’s not too far I would drive over and take a look around.

Iraqgunz
03-19-10, 11:57
I would defintely speak with Grant (you can IM him) and check his prices. Personally I would support a site sponsor first.

Also, I would seriously not worry about an Aimpoint or any other gadgets, aside from a light and sling. I would focus on getting some ammo, mags and a decent cleaning kit. Then I would put the rifle through its' paces. JM2CW.

d_spencer
03-19-10, 11:58
How far is G&R from you? If it’s not too far I would drive over and take a look around.

It's about 4 hours from where I live near Dayton. I do have friends and family in Columbus and it's about 2.5 hours from there.

Basically, I'd be willing to make the drive if I was definitely picking something up, but it's a long way to go in order to just browse.