PDA

View Full Version : Ted Nugent talking about VT

Robb Jensen
04-22-07, 11:40
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/19/commentary.nugent/index.html Rock on Gonzo!

themadhatter
04-22-07, 18:16
:D :D :D :D :D

Bushytale
04-22-07, 20:42
Go TED! An entertainer with his head screwed on straight. How unusual!

:cool: Billy

combatvet
04-22-07, 21:44
Anyone know this asshat?

Joe Russo, Staten Island, New York
Ted Nugent really has a twisted way of looking at the violence that seems to regularly plague us. As a hunter and gun owner, I do believe in our right to bear arms. However, that right should not include hand guns and assualt weapons.

What a ****tard.

Bulldog1967
04-22-07, 22:53
And here's what Fred Thompson has to say:

Signs of Intelligence?

By Fred Thompson

One of the things that's got to be going through a lot of peoples'
minds now is how one man with two handguns, that he had to reload
time and time again, could go from classroom to classroom on the
Virginia Tech campus without being stopped. Much of the answer can be
found in policies put in place by the university itself.

Virginia, like 39 other states, allows citizens with training and
legal permits to carry concealed weapons. That means that Virginians
regularly sit in movie theaters and eat in restaurants among armed
citizens. They walk, joke, and rub shoulders everyday with people who
responsibly carry firearms - and are far safer than they would be in
San Francisco, Oakland, Detroit, Chicago, New York City, or
Washington, D.C., where such permits are difficult or impossible to
obtain.

The statistics are clear. Communities that recognize and grant Second
Amendment rights to responsible adults have a significantly lower
incidence of violent crime than those that do not. More to the point,
incarcerated criminals tell criminologists that they consider local
gun laws when they decide what sort of crime they will commit, and
where they will do so.

Still, there are a lot of people who are just offended by the notion
that people can carry guns around. They view everybody, or at least
many of us, as potential murderers prevented only by the lack of a
convenient weapon. Virginia Tech administrators overrode Virginia
state law and threatened to expel or fire anybody who brings a weapon
onto campus.

In recent years, however, armed Americans - not on-duty police
officers - have successfully prevented a number of attempted mass
murders. Evidence from Israel, where many teachers have weapons and
have stopped serious terror attacks, has been documented. Supporting,
though contrary, evidence from Great Britain, where strict gun
controls have led to violent crime rates far higher than ours, is
also common knowledge.

So Virginians asked their legislators to change the university's
"concealed carry" policy to exempt people 21 years of age or older
who have passed background checks and taken training classes. The
university, however, lobbied against that bill, and a top
administrator subsequently praised the legislature for blocking the
measure.

The logic behind this attitude baffles me, but I suspect it has to do
with a basic difference in worldviews. Some people think that power
should exist only at the top, and everybody else should rely on "the
authorities" for protection.

Despite such attitudes, average Americans have always made up the
front line against crime. Through programs like Neighborhood Watch
and Amber Alert, we are stopping and catching criminals daily. Normal
people tackled "shoe bomber" Richard Reid as he was trying to blow up
an airliner. It was a truck driver who found the D.C. snipers.
Statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention show
that civilians use firearms to prevent at least a half million crimes
annually.

When people capable of performing acts of heroism are discouraged or
denied the opportunity, our society is all the poorer. And from the
selfless examples of the passengers on Flight 93 on 9/11 to Virginia
Tech professor Liviu Librescu, a Holocaust survivor who sacrificed
himself to save his students earlier this week, we know what
extraordinary acts of heroism ordinary citizens are capable of.

Many other universities have been swayed by an anti-gun, anti-self
defense ideology. I respect their right to hold those views, but I
challenge their decision to deny Americans the right to protect
themselves on their campuses - and then proudly advertise that fact
to any and all.

Whenever I've seen one of those "Gun-free Zone" signs, especially
outside of a school filled with our youngest and most vulnerable
citizens, I've always wondered exactly who these signs are directed
at. Obviously, they don't mean much to the sort of man who murdered
32 people just a few days ago.

- Fred Thompson is an actor and former United States senator from Tennessee.

trio
04-23-07, 01:24
I love what the Nuge said...

But I love what Thompson said better....

I wrote a letter to MSNBC last week (I can post it here if you like)...but my concern with the Nuge's comments is this...

The author of the "other side's" arguments was obviously some sort of academia....a professional writer....now we know that Ted is not that...not that there is anything wrong with that...I love Ted...but there are people that will dismiss his comments out of hand simply because of his writing style

Dont get me wrong, I think his "no-nonsense, down to earth" style appeals to a lot of people....

But a large group of folks "on the fence" about guns are the intelligencia in the northeast and large urban centers that were raised in families that never had guns, and come from relatively affluent, college attending groups...to them, Nuge's comments just prove what they already believe....we gun owners are a bunch of knuckle-dragging neaderthals who cant spell and hold onto our weapons as a need to compensate for other phallic deficiencies....

This past weekend at my sister's wedding I drove up in my pickup truck, with my NASCAR and Redskins stickers on it, and my Dale Earnhardt Jr hat on the dashboard, and got into a conversation about guns....the person I was talking to also found out that I stay at home with my children and my wife works....it became clear that their assumption, as a NASCAR loving, non working, gun owning, pickup truck driving, Virginia living, white male was that they were amazed that i wasnt speaking monosyllabically....

And that is how a lot of people, unfortunately will see the Nuge's comments....

People like Thompson...the people in the South that have all the degrees of the damn northern intellectual elite, but choose to be who they are because well, thats just who they are, are the ones I like to see on the front line of this fight...

Because they can go fight in the realm of the damn intellectual snobs that look down on the gun owner as uneducated and kill that misconception

I guess, said succinctly, Nuge makes some awesome points, I want people focused on his substance, and not his style...

rayray
04-23-07, 13:58
Well put Nugeman. Very well put.

Joseywales
04-23-07, 21:38
I love what the Nuge said...

But I love what Thompson said better....

I wrote a letter to MSNBC last week (I can post it here if you like)...but my concern with the Nuge's comments is this...

The author of the "other side's" arguments was obviously some sort of academia....a professional writer....now we know that Ted is not that...not that there is anything wrong with that...I love Ted...but there are people that will dismiss his comments out of hand simply because of his writing style

Dont get me wrong, I think his "no-nonsense, down to earth" style appeals to a lot of people....

But a large group of folks "on the fence" about guns are the intelligencia in the northeast and large urban centers that were raised in families that never had guns, and come from relatively affluent, college attending groups...to them, Nuge's comments just prove what they already believe....we gun owners are a bunch of knuckle-dragging neaderthals who cant spell and hold onto our weapons as a need to compensate for other phallic deficiencies....

This past weekend at my sister's wedding I drove up in my pickup truck, with my NASCAR and Redskins stickers on it, and my Dale Earnhardt Jr hat on the dashboard, and got into a conversation about guns....the person I was talking to also found out that I stay at home with my children and my wife works....it became clear that their assumption, as a NASCAR loving, non working, gun owning, pickup truck driving, Virginia living, white male was that they were amazed that i wasnt speaking monosyllabically....

And that is how a lot of people, unfortunately will see the Nuge's comments....

People like Thompson...the people in the South that have all the degrees of the damn northern intellectual elite, but choose to be who they are because well, thats just who they are, are the ones I like to see on the front line of this fight...

Because they can go fight in the realm of the damn intellectual snobs that look down on the gun owner as uneducated and kill that misconception

I guess, said succinctly, Nuge makes some awesome points, I want people focused on his substance, and not his style...

I have a Bachelors degree in Chemical Engineering and an MBA. I think Ted's article was much better. All this "smart people don't own guns" is a bunch of bullshit. It is false at the core. I find more hillbillies think that assult rifles are evil than people who live in the suburbs. That is how they earned the term FUDDs (Fur Upland Duck Deer).

trio
04-23-07, 23:35
I have a Bachelors degree in Chemical Engineering and an MBA. I think Ted's article was much better. All this "smart people don't own guns" is a bunch of bullshit. It is false at the core. I find more hillbillies think that assult rifles are evil than people who live in the suburbs. That is how they earned the term FUDDs (Fur Upland Duck Deer).

dont get me wrong, I totally agree with you, I have a J.D., M.Ed., and a B.A....

I wasnt talking about the reality...I was talking about the perception....

After the Tech killings the Antis would roll out someone from the Brady Campaign, and i would say on over half the shows I saw the "responder" for the pro-gun side was Pat Buchanan....people dont give a damn what Buchanan is saying, they immediately ignore him because of who he is...

I am just saying I am worried about the same thing with Nuge...you could see it in a lot of the reader comments..."Stick to Rock"...or "Dont you have a VH1 reality show.." and because of that people immediately ignore what he is saying....

Im not saying its right....What I am saying is Fred Thompson is a face you can put on gun owner's rights that a lot of people already have a positive impression of from his acting career...he comes across almost grandfatherly, and his demeanor and style of delivery are such that you are drawn to listening to him....this is the type of person I want talking about my rights....because I know people will at least hear what he is saying....

Its sad but true that most communication has very little to do with what is being said....

jmart
04-23-07, 23:43
Ted will be a guest on the fill-in DJ/newsman on the MSNBC Tuesday AM slot that used to be filled with the Imus. Apparently MSNBC is trying out various replacements and giving them 3-day shots at taking over Imus' silmulcast slot. Anyway, this guy is having Ted on tomorrow.

johnson601
04-24-07, 15:51
I like what Ted and Fred both have to say on this issue. What else is it going to take to get people to open their eyes??

Joseywales
04-24-07, 21:27
dont get me wrong, I totally agree with you, I have a J.D., M.Ed., and a B.A....

I wasnt talking about the reality...I was talking about the perception....

After the Tech killings the Antis would roll out someone from the Brady Campaign, and i would say on over half the shows I saw the "responder" for the pro-gun side was Pat Buchanan....people dont give a damn what Buchanan is saying, they immediately ignore him because of who he is...

I am just saying I am worried about the same thing with Nuge...you could see it in a lot of the reader comments..."Stick to Rock"...or "Dont you have a VH1 reality show.." and because of that people immediately ignore what he is saying....

Im not saying its right....What I am saying is Fred Thompson is a face you can put on gun owner's rights that a lot of people already have a positive impression of from his acting career...he comes across almost grandfatherly, and his demeanor and style of delivery are such that you are drawn to listening to him....this is the type of person I want talking about my rights....because I know people will at least hear what he is saying....

Its sad but true that most communication has very little to do with what is being said....

Point taken. Guess we are going to have to do the hard work of educating people ourselves.

CarlosDJackal
04-25-07, 17:53
Anyone know this asshat?

Joe Russo, Staten Island, New York
Ted Nugent really has a twisted way of looking at the violence that seems to regularly plague us. As a hunter and gun owner, I do believe in our right to bear arms. However, that right should not include hand guns and assualt weapons.

What a ****tard.

Not as much as this moron:

Doug, Houston, Texas
Frankly I got sick in my stomach reading Mr. Nugent's article. According to Mr. Nugent, the solution is very simple: All citizens should be armed and the world would be a much safer place. Let's take a moment to think about the implication of this. The criminals are not dumb. If we average law-abiding citizens were allowed to freely purchase weapons, the criminals would do everything they could to ensure they have the upper hands on their firepower. Of course, we would immediately do the same to regain our upper hands. What then would you think the criminals would do in return?

This dipshit seem to think that letting the criminals have the "upper hand" in the first place will make things safer or end the "arms race". He doesn't have the mental capacity to understand that we, as individuals, do not have to outrun that hungry Grizzly that's chasing us. All we have to do is outrun at least one other person for that Grizzly to leave us the hell alone!! :D