PDA

View Full Version : Any long term durability results: Ruger LCP

mhanna91
03-19-10, 13:38
Have any of you guys been carrying/shooting the Ruger LCP for a decent amount of time to determine anything about it's ruggedness and reliability. I put off buying one of these for the simple reason that I wanted to wait a year or two incase there was a problem with the guns when they reach a high round count. I'm now looking to buy one since the market for pocket .380s is about to explode.

Thanks!
Mark

Buckaroo
03-19-10, 20:42
I'm now looking to buy one since the market for pocket .380s is about to explode.

Thanks!
Mark

Why do you feel this is about to happen?

I would be interested in others experiences with the LCP too but I have gone to a single stack 9mm and find it works for me.

Buckaroo

skyugo
03-19-10, 21:10
somebody oughtta do a 500 round torture test! :D

kmrtnsn
03-19-10, 21:42
At the end of the day it is still a Keltec. I wouldn't hold my expectations too high.

mike benedict
03-20-10, 07:17
I have managed to shoot about 300 rounds through my LCP
A mix of PMC , Federal ball, Blaser Winchester SX Golden Saber and Critical Defense .
No failures at all but that little blaster has a lot of recoil.
I have a Crimson Trace laser guard on mine and it usually rides in my off hand front pocket.

Mike
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b319/talontactical/lcp004.jpg

ST911
03-20-10, 15:17
I know an LCP that has ~2000 rds through it. It's fired Black Hills Ammunition almost exclusively, mostly the 90gr JHP-XTP. No observed or reported malfunctions.

I watched another LCP run about 350rds in an afternoon as a succession of officers tried it out. Ammo that day was a very mediocre remanufactured ball load that is very inconsistent. There were no malfunctions.

somebody oughtta do a 500 round torture test! :D

Based on the above, I would expect the LCPs to do well. Loading mags would be a pain, as few people have more than 2 or 3.

At the end of the day it is still a Keltec. I wouldn't hold my expectations too high.

More correctly, it is a product-improved Keltec. In my experience, the LCP demonstrates greater consistency of performance than the P3AT, and should get more credit.

rsilvers
11-29-13, 15:38
http://rugerpistolforums.com/forums/general-lcp-discussion/4156-how-many-rounds-have-you-fired-through-your-lcp-70.html lots of people with 1000+ rounds. A few have had a problem or two in the 1200-1300 round range. Some people have 2000 or 3000 rounds with no problem. Seems like there is a reasonable chance of some breakage in the 1000-round range. That is typical of all small pistols. You have to get something like a Glock 26 if you care. That all being said, even my Nano is on the heavy side for me to run with. The LCP seems to be the answer.

brushy bill
11-29-13, 16:09
Why do you feel this is about to happen?

I suspect he's referring to the Glock .380 rumored to be released shortly.

Five_Point_Five_Six
11-29-13, 16:57
I suspect he's referring to the Glock .380 rumored to be released shortly.

Not unless he had a crystal ball in 2010 when this thread was started.

Mike169
11-30-13, 08:07
Have any of you guys been carrying/shooting the Ruger LCP for a decent amount of time to determine anything about it's ruggedness and reliability. I put off buying one of these for the simple reason that I wanted to wait a year or two incase there was a problem with the guns when they reach a high round count. I'm now looking to buy one since the market for pocket .380s is about to explode.

Thanks!
Mark

Sorry bro, I freaking hate shooting mine. It's there and serves a purpose, I'll put 20-30 rounds through it occasionally to make sure it still works, but after that it gets put away again. I carry mine mostly as a duty backup and rarely off duty.

Dos Cylindros
11-30-13, 11:42
Not unless he had a crystal ball in 2010 when this thread was started.

This actually made me laugh out loud! Well done good sir.

walkin' trails
11-30-13, 15:35
A friend of mine bought one used - probably had a box thru it. He ran another box at the range, and another qualifying. I put a couple of rounds thru it. Probably hasn't been fired since, but was reliable. He then got an LC9. The 380 was a whole lot more reliable. I don't care for 380s, but found the LCP was more accurate than the LC9.

Pappabear
11-30-13, 18:57
I personally would not want to run a high count on a gun that is questionable for that round count. I prefer to run 4 or 500 rounds , then run an occasional mag to keep it fresh. I don't want to figure out that gun fails at say 2564th round. Not that fun to shoot anyway.

I'm glad people do torture test them for us to benefit from their experience. It really does bring value to the community.

PB

mike benedict
12-01-13, 07:08
I have managed to shoot about 300 rounds through my LCP
A mix of PMC , Federal ball, Blaser Winchester SX Golden Saber and Critical Defense .
No failures at all but that little blaster has a lot of recoil.
I have a Crimson Trace laser guard on mine and it usually rides in my off hand front pocket.

Mike
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b319/talontactical/lcp004.jpg

I carry mine most every day and I shoot it probably every month a couple of mags.
It is completely reliable and accurate enough for a pocket pistol.
Since my original post I have shot up a case of Fiocchi ball and most of a case of S&B
The Fiocchi is actually comfortable to shoot.

RHINOWSO
12-02-13, 07:05
Epic thread revival!

I have about 1500 RDS through mine. Don't shoot it often, probably go 6 months or so between shooting it. No issues.

AFshirt
12-05-13, 07:05
Not a LCP but I have an LC380 with right at 3K rounds through it. The only hiccups I have ever seen were with steel cased ammo.

scoutchris
12-06-13, 15:05

Trayvon had low expectations for Kel-Tec, and look how that ended.

kevN
12-06-13, 15:24
I had an LCP and it fired 650 rounds of Blazer CCI brass 380 fmj reliably. I did find the pistol very uncomfortable to shoot in general; one tip I would suggest is given the length of trigger travel and weight I found myself having much better leverage using my first knuckle on the trigger versus the pad of my finger like I would normally shoot.

I sold mine because I found very few situations where I was carrying the pistol and no situations where I enjoyed shooting it for fun.