PDA

View Full Version : Need help HK

JDM92103
03-19-10, 13:52
I need some help in figuring out a new purchase my wife has given me a budget of $950 to buy a new carry gun. I was at the local gun club and they have a HK USP Compact 9mm for sale. I like the feel of it but they do not have one for me to rent and try out. I am debating between the HK and S&W M&P Pro 9mm which I have had a chance to shoot and I really like it.

I don't care about brand names to be honest and with my wife its not buy a new gun and ammo with the extra money it's buy a new gun if its only $300.00 then the rest stays in the bank. From what I have read the HK has a service life of 20k to 30k and I have friends that have M&P's one of them has over 50K threw his and he loves it. I have heard about all the strike issues with the M&P's but if I get one I would get the kit from apex tactical so that wouldn't be an issue.

I am confused and was just looking for some input before I make my decision here.

I HAVE 4 Glock's so no need for the "get a Glock comments".

John_Wayne777
03-19-10, 14:08
I cannot fathom purchasing a USP while the P30 exists. I've run the USP and I've run the newer gen HK handguns and the newer ones get my vote without hesitation.

The M&P is a good handgun and is most similar to the Glocks you already own. Frankly if the Glocks work well for you I would suggest skipping the handgun purchase and investing that budget into some quality training classes with people like Larry Vickers or Ken Hackathorn or Tiger Swan, etc. You'll get a lot more bang out of that investment than out of buying a new gun.

JDM92103
03-19-10, 14:23
My wife and I are in the prcoess of going to take a training class together also at our local range I take several classes with a local trainer each year. My main reason in wanting a new handgun is I would like to go to something with a saftey. I have no issues with Glock's saftety features but would feel more comfortable being we have 3 little kids to have the thumb saftey.

I will look into the P30 though I have heard good things about it but have yet to actually see one in person. In the past I hae ordered guns before I held them and in the end they weren't what I expected.

Hunter Rose
03-19-10, 14:56
HK's will greatly exceed 20K-30K round service life's. That's really just a minimum stated for police/military contracts IMO.

While I would agree with JohnWayne777's comments in regards to the USP Fullsize, the USP Compact is smaller than both the USP Fullsize and P30, especially in the butt area, making for easier concealment. Also, the Compact has a thinner grip and tends to fit peoples hands a little better than the fullsize.

They are also available with a manual safety and can be turned into SAO if 1911 cocked and locked is your preferred method of carry. So it seems the USP Compact meets all your needs. They are great guns and can be had for about $650.

If you don't need the smaller size of the Compact, then definitely wait and get a P30S (manual safety version) when they come out in May.

Alpha Sierra
03-19-10, 19:26
I'm not really sure how a manual safety is going to help with little kids.

Secure the weapon correctly or wear it. That's the safest way and makes redundant safeties a non-issue.

skyugo
03-19-10, 21:22
well, if you've already got a pile of functional glocks, i'd get something special... a HK P7. very accurate, very high quality, and sure to appreciate in value, as they are no longer made. it has a squeeze cocking mechanism that i imagine would be hard for a child to activate. (obviously all firearm safety rules still apply)

just something to look at. i always suggest them to people who have a decent gun budget and are looking for something different than a glock.

El Vaquero
03-20-10, 00:17
If you don't need the smaller size of the Compact, then definitely wait and get a P30S (manual safety version) when they come out in May.

I carry a full size USP as my duty piece and own several USP compacts. The compacts definitely feel better in my hands than the full size though. The P30 feels even better in the hands than the USP compacts. That is definitely the way to go.

Only problem would be waiting for the release in May if you need the safety. I love H&K, but they are RARELY on time with their release dates. If they say May, they really mean October/November.

jacobswel
03-30-10, 21:52
My everyday carry. Not sure where you are but if your close your welcome to shoot mine. I'm in northern Indiana.
http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr145/jacobswell26/IMG_0689.jpg

orionz06
03-30-10, 22:25
As much as I love my USP, the first person with a P30 who wants a USP will get mine. That being said, I have the M&P Pro and the USP 9c and cannot see parting with either.

If you are near PA/OH/WV drop me a line and you can shoot them as much as ya want.

The Dumb Gun Collector
03-30-10, 22:37
Pick up a P30 or HK45C. The USP is a great gun, but the newer guns have some nice refinements worth having. I wouldn't sell my USP to get a P30, but if I am buying new, P30 all the way.

gtmtnbiker98
03-31-10, 07:19
If you like the P30 and prefer a manual safety and need it now, the P30S in .40 is already out and readily available. If you like .45 ACP, as Greg said, look at the HK45c. Lots of options out there and I will agree with JW, it's hard to justify a USP/c with the current P2000/P30/HK45 availability.

If you are in Ohio, you are welcome to shoot one of mine, I own most of the models.

JDM92103
03-31-10, 13:57
Thanks for all the reply's I ended up getting a P30 after a very nice man at the range let me try his out. It did not have the safety which I was looking for but after putting some rounds threw his I fell in love with it. Now I just have to find a good holster for it I think I am going to try out the Comp-tac Minotaur MTAC Holster. I have heard good things about them and the price isn't that bad for them.

Now I have to find a way to get my wife to let me get a P30L to go with it. Though that more than likely wont happen for another year since we have another little one on the way.

CyberM4
03-31-10, 18:59
Congrats on your P30. If you want an OWB. I would recomend the Comp Tac Paddle.

El Vaquero
04-01-10, 00:00
Thanks for all the reply's I ended up getting a P30 after a very nice man at the range let me try his out. It did not have the safety which I was looking for but after putting some rounds threw his I fell in love with it. Now I just have to find a good holster for it I think I am going to try out the Comp-tac Minotaur MTAC Holster. I have heard good things about them and the price isn't that bad for them.

Now I have to find a way to get my wife to let me get a P30L to go with it. Though that more than likely wont happen for another year since we have another little one on the way.

Good choice. I like that holster too.

ColdDeadHands
04-01-10, 06:39
I prefer the USP Series for carry. The USP series are thinner then the newer models. Now if you are talking ergonomics, the P30 & HK45 win hands down but for carry I prefer the USPC.

palmbeach31
04-12-10, 19:48

Let us know how it works out carrying it. I just got a P30 but didn't really think about carrying it but if you find that it works well I may consider it too. The Crossbreed Supertuck could probably be an option too.

ColdDeadHands
04-12-10, 20:51
the comptac is 10 times nicer then the crossbreed...just a heads up.

forgiven
04-13-10, 00:55
the comptac is 10 times nicer then the crossbreed...just a heads up.

And the Raven Concealment Phantom is 10 times nicer than the comptac + it has a lifetime warranty

newyork
04-13-10, 06:57
+1 for Raven Concealment. I wish I had a P30 in 9mm with LEM but the 10rd limit here bothers me in NY when the real capacity is 15. I have a HK45 LEM and it is the best handgun I've owned.
Great purchase, good luck and enjoy it.

HK45
04-13-10, 23:50
Everytime i look at the Raven site their ship time is longer. Now it's 70 to $75 days...:eek:
Disagree "better" than a Comp Tac though, its just a better design for a really close fit. Fit, finish, and material quality is quite good with Comp-Tac as well as their customer service.