PDA

View Full Version : 12:00 Weapon Light Nirvana

jaycee
03-19-10, 15:33
After seeing a disconcerting number of light ND’s with the exposed toggle switches of various X200/X300/TLR-1, etc predominantly during transition drills on a recent night shoot, I started looking for a more foolproof setup. I think I’ve found it:

Surefire M600C Scout Light with the 200 lumen head off of a Surefire LX2, using the push-button end cap.

Here are a few pics of the Surefire M600C/LX2 Scout Light mounted at 12:00 on a DD RIS II FSB on one of my Colt LE6920's:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d113/jcumberl/P3190135.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d113/jcumberl/P3190132.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d113/jcumberl/P3190137.jpg

The X300 has really popularized the 12:00 flashlight position, but I’ve grown to prefer the Scout Light mounted at 12:00 over the X300. At first I tried it with a tape switch, but I REALLY hate tape switches, so then I tried it with the supplied tail cap, and found it to be the best of the bunch. You do need a little room between the FSB and the tail cap for your thumb - there’s plenty of room on the RIS II (unless you have thumbs like a Gorilla), and if you have a continuous top rail on an 11"/12"/13" then the sky’s the limit.

You’ll need to keep the stock mount however - when I finally got my mitts on my M600C I immediately put on a Larue throw lever and then found to my dismay that it puts the light too high and projects above the front sight blade, ruling out iron sights - back to square one.

The M600C has the following advantages over the X300 when run at the 12:00 position:

1. NO light ND's. The switch is very well protected - the only time this light is coming on is when YOU want it to come on. The switch is still very easy to access, and like the X300, is totally ambidextrous. Some have opined that the X300 needs a lock-out because of this, but with the well protected push button, I really can’t foresee a need for a lockout on the Scout - unless one is running a tape switch of course.
2.better light throw. Even with the supplied 120 lumen lamp, although it's only rated 10 lumens higher, the Scout seems to “throw” much better than the X300 - now add the 200 lumen head off of the LX2, and it puts it into a whole ‘nuther class.
3. don't have to remove the whole light from the rifle to replace batteries, just screw the front end off.
4. steel mount, not plastic.
5. doesn't get in the way of the ATILLA 200 IR laser/illuminator (or any other brand IR laser/illuminator I suspect - perhaps others could chime in here) as much as the X300 does. It does still give a bit of a reflection off of the flashlight head - jury’s still out on this one.

Although an expensive end product, this combo provides the highest performance to weight ratio of any weapons light that I’ve yet to use.

IMO it's the way to go for a NON-SBR application, ie. 16" or longer barrel, as the flashlight head will be way out in front of the muzzle of a 10.5", etc.