PDA

View Full Version : This Dem Has My Respect...For Now

Safetyhit
03-19-10, 19:16
A lowly Congressman shunning the President of his mutual party so he is not swayed?

Good for this man.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/?fbid=6btnJlxiWYZ

March 19, 2010
Democrat not answering Obama's call
Posted: March 19th, 2010 06:26 PM ET

From CNN Congressional Producer Evan Glass

Rep. Henry Cuellar, pictured here in a 2005 file photo, told reporters in the Capitol Friday he has so far refused to return the the president's call because he first wants to decide how he'll vote on the health care package.
Washington (CNN) - As President Obama holds face-to-face meetings and makes phone calls to House Democrats in a last ditch effort to gain enough support for passage of health care legislation, one fence-sitting lawmaker is refusing to answer a telephone call from the White House.

"If I have to talk to him, I'll talk to him," Texas Rep. Henry Cuellar said begrudgingly of a phone call his office received Wednesday from the White House. But Cuellar told reporters in the Capitol he has so far refused to return the call because he first wants to decide how he'll vote on the health care package. The Texas congressman also acknowledged that it was "White House staff" that placed the call, but he presumes the president wanted to speak to him.

"At the end of the day, when we take a vote, he's not going to be out there supporting me and running my elections," Cuellar said of Obama. "It's going to be up to me to run my election. And it's up to me to decide on my own that this is in the best interests of my district."

Cuellar, who is in his third term, voted in favor of the original House version of health care reform in November, but he has not announced his intentions this time.

JackOSU
03-19-10, 19:28
He doesn't have my respect. He clearly voted for the earlier bill in November.

He'll fold or if he holds out he's probably doing it for bribes or kickbacks later on down the line.

ALL of D.C. is corrupt. Both sides. You don't get ther unless you are this day and age to some extent.

My solution would be a public hanging of them all for treason agains the Constitution, but that would probably land me in jail by those same folks "who know what's best for us".

citizensoldier16
03-19-10, 21:12
Honorable not to wish to be swayed....but what we really need in this country is LEGISLATOR REFORM!

Dare I say it? Term limits?! :eek:

Ark1443
03-19-10, 21:14

He'll fold or if he holds out he's probably doing it for bribes or kickbacks later on down the line.

Agreed.

Safetyhit
03-19-10, 21:16

I don't care what he did in November, this since the bill is still not law and he is an obstacle as of today. One who should not be there. See the forest through the trees. We need a few more of him right now.

Is he anti-gun and pro-illegal immigrant? Possibly. But he is on our side on this very significant issue fundamentally not allowing himself to sell-out.

Also, anyone here who does not see the significance of a minority, Democratic Congressman refusing to take his President's calls at this critical juncture is oblivious as to it's political implications. He is doing the right thing against very significant odds.

Artos
03-19-10, 21:31
I'm familiar with this politician...he's a dem's dem and I just hope there is no payoff & my guess is what he's fishing / waiting for. I don't think he's in the middle of reading the bill to make up his mind.

However, I'll take any vote that helps defeat this monster in front of us & I hope he's getting pinched.

Safetyhit
03-19-10, 21:35
I'm familiar with this politician...he's a dem's dem and I just hope there is no payoff & my guess is what he's fishing / waiting for.

How would he know one is offered if he does not allow confidential contact to be established? It won't be offered to a staffer, I can assure you of that.

Artos
03-19-10, 21:40
How would he know one is offered if he does not allow confidential contact to be established? It won't be offered to a staffer, I can assure you of that.

I'm cynical & don't trust him as he's been in power way too long...he either is getting pinched by the voters and is playing the game or has an idea of what he's being offered and is sending a message. I'm getting crusty about the whole thing safety.

Again, I'm with you and will take the no vote regardless.

JackOSU
03-20-10, 06:56
I don't care what he did in November, this since the bill is still not law and he is an obstacle as of today. One who should not be there. See the forest through the trees. We need a few more of him right now.

Is he anti-gun and pro-illegal immigrant? Possibly. But he is on our side on this very significant issue fundamentally not allowing himself to sell-out.

Also, anyone here who does not see the significance of a minority, Democratic Congressman refusing to take his President's calls at this critical juncture is oblivious as to it's political implications. He is doing the right thing against very significant odds.

I am not oblivious to anything.

He's also not on our side with this issue in my opinion. He's just holding out and playing hard ball with the Administration for back door deals that we will never hear about. Unless one has their head in the sand this is how the game is played.

I've bumped elbows in my life with all sorts of folks from my home state early in their careers from Boehner, De Wine etc. They ALL have done this at some level during their careers.

Just look at the ultra liberal Kucinich here as well. He was against it for such a long time because it "didn't have a public option" and he's now finally come around. Why would he all of a sudden get on board? Something will or has been given to him or promised. Most of the time it is funds from "legitimate" donors in that state where pressure is put on them to have them support a certain candidate during re-elections etc OR they receive personal contacts that help them financially in their personal realm. These types of deals are kind of like the thing where Obama as a Senator got one hell of a deal on that home he has in Chicago that went WAY below market value at the time. It saved him millions on the purchase and later in life if he sells it during an up market will make him millions.

I'm not trying to single you out here or anything, but my personal opinion is that this guy will cave once he gets what he wants in some way. That is how politics work and have done so for hundreds of years to a certain level. It's just gotten way out of control the past 50-100 years. There's really no way to absolutely verify that he won't accept a call from the President or his staff unless you or I were there answering the phone. The biggest thing is why would he want to make this public? He is trying to create the feeling that he's against it in a state like Texas where this bill is very unpopular. Is he up for re-election soon? Is he feeling the pressure from his constituents?

They are here to serve us not themselves. I doubt we will ever be able to change the machine for past generations have been oblivious to this ever so subtle push. Now it's so big unless we had another revolution type event it won't be reversed. They will not give up this power easily. As of now I'm not holding my breathe with this guy. He true colors will show and looking at his voting record on past things one could already make a case for his general view on things.

Safetyhit
03-20-10, 08:15
I am not oblivious to anything.

Did I state or imply this somehow? Or might you be the one making an implication? Either way, I'll place minimal effort to debate you as I am on your side and then some overall. I just see something rather remarkable here all circumstances considered.

There's really no way to absolutely verify that he won't accept a call from the President or his staff unless you or I were there answering the phone. The biggest thing is why would he want to make this public?

I have not a clue how the story became public, but do you not suspect that actions such as his are not looked on extremely dis-favorably by the Democratic run administration right now? Think they might remember his show of blatant disrespect one day down the line as they literally go-for-broke?

He is trying to create the feeling that he's against it in a state like Texas where this bill is very unpopular. Is he up for re-election soon? Is he feeling the pressure from his constituents?

I sure hope so. Because number one it shows that he cares about them more than his affiliation with Obama, the hero of all American minorities. And number 2 it shows that maybe his constituents just don't like it, which is also likely good.

R/Tdrvr
03-20-10, 09:45

Agreed. Especially if groups like MoveOn.Org threaten to run another canidate against him in a primary race. Its already happened to some that said they would vote "no" and when threatened with a primary, switched to "yes".

Safetyhit
03-20-10, 10:12
Agreed. Especially if groups like MoveOn.Org threaten to run another canidate against him in a primary race. Its already happened to some that said they would vote "no" and when threatened with a primary, switched to "yes".

Hard to disagree with this, no doubt. I guess it boils down to several scenarios, none of which may be apparent to us in the future.

Is he doing it for constituents who he knows are unhappy with the bill due to the financial implications, or are they unhappy because it doesn't provide enough entitlements? Maybe a local would know, but certainly not me.

Regardless, it is a stinging, disrespectful public blow to an already over-stressed president and administration from a member of their own party. I at the very least can and do appreciate that at this critical time.

If he votes yes after all this anyway...I'd say screw him but thanks for at least further embarrassing the president and not just falling in line.

Bulldog1967
03-20-10, 10:23
Mark my words

Every. Single. Democrat. Will. Vote. For. It.

It may take every single kind of dirty Shitcago arm twisting, threats, bribery and shennanigans by Obungo, but they will all fall in line.

Obungo is 0-7 as far as his initiatives/legislation passing.

This isn't about doing what is good for the country.

It is all about Obungo and his tarnished image.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w305/mcgeedigital/Obama/asshole-arrogance.jpg?t=1269098055

Artos
03-20-10, 11:06
Maybe a local would know, but certainly not me.

http://nationalatlas.gov/printable/images/preview/congdist/TX28_110.gif

Check out his district layout...It runs across a territory of both conservatives & libs. I think at this point those against this bill are MUCH more vocal but I know for certain there are areas supporting this legislation.

Alot of his area has voters which call themselves 'La Maquina' or The Machine...single lever dem voters. Most are anti-abortion (catholic) and pro gun. They complain about their reps voting against their will in these areas and when I ask why they support them in the election, it's always, "Cuz I'm a Democrat"

sigh...

BVickery
03-20-10, 12:30
The first job of a Pol. is to get re-elected.

He isn't doing this stall to think it over, he's using it to weigh his chances of re-election come November if he goes for a 'Yes' vote. Also, probably seeing if Pelosi is going to try and do the 'deem and pass' BS.

JackOSU
03-20-10, 14:25
Did I state or imply this somehow? Or might you be the one making an implication? Either way, I'll place minimal effort to debate you as I am on your side and then some overall. I just see something rather remarkable here all circumstances considered.

Possilby in your last paragraph where you stated that if we didn't see it that way we were oblivious. I still don't think he cares about his constituents. Most in politics don't really unless it risks their re-election. Rule number one as stated before and on this board is ALWAYS to get re-elected.

I have not a clue how the story became public, but do you not suspect that actions such as his are not looked on extremely dis-favorably by the Democratic run administration right now? Think they might remember his show of blatant disrespect one day down the line as they literally go-for-broke?

Not really. Both parties play this game all of the time for kick backs for their area with funds to help them look good etc etc. This is nothing new. It's been that way from the beginning of time. It's not disrespect. I wouldn't put it past them to have leaked this on purpose to help him save face locally in the press, but in reality the outcome is known behind closed doors. I still don't know why this is so hard for folks to understand. It's grandstanding at it's finest until they get something that will help them.

I sure hope so. Because number one it shows that he cares about them more than his affiliation with Obama, the hero of all American minorities. And number 2 it shows that maybe his constituents just don't like it, which is also likely good.

Again I personally believe it's just an act/front to save face for as long as possible. We'll never know until the situation has an ending and the votes and folks are outed, but I'd be my money on the poney that says he votes for it in the end.

glocktogo
03-20-10, 14:37
Only the final vote counts. If he votes yes, he can say he wasn't swayed by back room deals and voted on his convictions, which may help him get re-elected. There's a lot of hatred and threatened re-election possibilities for those whose votes were bought. So it may just be a very shrewd political gambit.

If he votes yes and gets a sweetheart deal that's even better than Kuchinich got, then it shows he's shrewd yet again.

Only if he votes no can you say he's bucking his party for his overall constituency and the good of the country. All the pre-vote posturing is meaningless in the end.

Nippy
03-20-10, 16:02
Sounds just like every politician... worried about getting re-elected more than worrying about what he was elected for.

Artos
03-21-10, 10:11
safety...here's a story / link to the local paper on this. The comments to the strory are kinda interesting.

http://www.themonitor.com/articles/ortiz-36614-cuellar-reform.html

Safetyhit
03-21-10, 11:13
safety...here's a story / link to the local paper on this. The comments to the strory are kinda interesting.

http://www.themonitor.com/articles/ortiz-36614-cuellar-reform.html

The comments are interesting, thanks for posting this. I was starting to think this thread was too simplistic, but maybe there was something to my gut feeling afterall.

See how it goes soon enough I guess. Hearing now that they don't have the votes again. This will go down to the wire.

Belmont31R
03-21-10, 13:07
This whole thing is just a glowing example of what is wrong with our country.

As much as we want to blame the politicians we are the ones, as a country, who put them into office. We get the government we deserve. You don't need term limits. You need a populace who is willing to give someone the boot.

Republicans do the same shit. The only difference is the end product but they use much of the same legislative back room deals, ear marks, etc.

IMO I believe its too late to fix things now. There are too many idiots out there who are going to send mostly the same people right back there because people vote along party lines, and what matters most is if there is a D or R next to their name. Most of us supported McCain, and he is a quasi democrat who has been in DC forever. America keeps sending these life long politicians back. We are never going to get term limits until a large portion of Congress is thrown out, and people pushing for the idea get elected. But then they are voting against their own self interest. Its not going to happen.

We have a Supreme Court who has made quite a few bad decisions, and votes based on precedence not on what the Constitution says. FDR's court packing gave the government powers that are way beyond the scope of the Constitution, and we are never going to get rid of that. Its too late now. The Court is not going to over turn several decisions.

The bottom line is the government has been given, and taken so much authority they have basically etched in stone their own self preservation no matter what. We can put republicans in power, and none of this shit is going to change. The same arm twisting and deal making is going to take place. Its how DC has morphed into behaving. A lot of the integrity in Congress was lost when senators were voted in by the general public. They should be the state's the representatives in government, and we are supposed to vote for the house members. Now the states have no say in the federal government even though they are forced to pay billions for what DC votes on. In the "old days" the state legislature could recall a senator if they voted against the states interests. We don't really have a representative government because much of what occurs at the state level is dictated by people the states have no authority over anymore.

The US is supposed to be a group of sovereign states that come together for "common sense" items the states cannot do on their own as effictively. Things like currency, interstates, mail, defense, etc. Much of the Constitution revolves around defense, and how Congress and the executive are to carry this out. The states were still supposed to be "self governing". The founders knew a strong central government would lead to tyranny. In the decades since the ratification of the constitution the federal government has weasled its way into being a strong central government with subservient states, and now we are at the tyranny stage. Our states no longer have any authority over the feds, and now we are being told to buy XYZ product just for being a living human being or face reprecussions. Our states are forced to pay for federal programs they have no say in whatsoever. We have politicians saying they don't care what the people want they know whats best for us. Bribery, threats, deals, etc are rampant with zero done about it.

So I don't really support any politician who is campaigning to continue this practice of increased federal authority, spending, etc. Someone either wants to vote on the basis of what the constitution says, and what the proper role of our governments are or they don't. Most republicans are for increasing this role. We have grown so accustomed to a central government people don't even realize what their true role is supposed to be anymore. People have no clue what the proper role of the states are. Everyone just looks to the government, and states are becoming obsolete. We are more like provinces of the government than sovereign states. What the states gave up when they ratified the constitution is clearly listed. What the feds have authority over is clearly listed. What rights the people have is clearly listed. Wonder why we have a 14 trillion dollar debt, a fed government that spends trillions a year, why taxes are so high, why freedom in the US is dying, etc is because the system is so out of whack its closer to tyranny than a republic.

Artos
03-21-10, 13:19
Hearing now that they don't have the votes again. This will go down to the wire.

Man, I hope you're right...I was hearing they had it nailed down this am.

I'm sick about the whole thing and decided to not watch any more news the rest of the day.

The bristol race usually has it's own drama.

Safetyhit
03-21-10, 13:27
Man, I hope you're right...I was hearing they had it nailed down this am.

Two hours ago Fox's homepage said that the Republicans were confident the votes were not there. That has since changed, yet again.

Looks like we may be about to get the shaft. In their guise of helping others, the government has become scarier than ever.

5pins
03-21-10, 13:58
Never mind.

Artos
03-22-10, 08:05
Here's a list of how tx reps voted....surprise!!

TEXAS

Democrats -- Cuellar, Y; Doggett, Y; Edwards, N; Gonzalez, Y; Green, Al, Y; Green, Gene, Y; Hinojosa, Y; Jackson Lee, Y; Johnson, E. B., Y; Ortiz, Y; Reyes, Y; Rodriguez, Y.

Republicans -- Barton, N; Brady, N; Burgess, N; Carter, N; Conaway, N; Culberson, N; Gohmert, N; Granger, N; Hall, N; Hensarling, N; Johnson, Sam, N; Marchant, N; McCaul, N; Neugebauer, N; Olson, N; Paul, N; Poe, N; Sessions, N; Smith, N; Thornberry, N.

Safetyhit
03-22-10, 08:31
I suppose it surely figures. Apparently he was one of Stupak's idiots, who are all sell-outs.

I hope we gut them in November.

No.6
03-22-10, 08:46
Here's a list of how tx reps voted....surprise!!

TEXAS

Democrats -- Cuellar, Y; Doggett, Y; Edwards, N; Gonzalez, Y; Green, Al, Y; Green, Gene, Y; Hinojosa, Y; Jackson Lee, Y; Johnson, E. B., Y; Ortiz, Y; Reyes, Y; Rodriguez, Y.

Republicans -- Barton, N; Brady, N; Burgess, N; Carter, N; Conaway, N; Culberson, N; Gohmert, N; Granger, N; Hall, N; Hensarling, N; Johnson, Sam, N; Marchant, N; McCaul, N; Neugebauer, N; Olson, N; Paul, N; Poe, N; Sessions, N; Smith, N; Thornberry, N.

Yeah, no surprise at all. Rep. Ortiz's office will be receiving a polite call from me later today informing his staff that not only will I be voting for his opponent in November, but that I will be encouraging everyone else I meet to do likewise.

jmp45
03-22-10, 09:22
Well fellas.. we are in the crapper now..

Alric
03-22-10, 09:37
Edwards represents my district. I am very happy for his representation on this issue.

jmp45
03-22-10, 09:53
Edwards represents my district. I am very happy for his representation on this issue.

Space represents ours, happy with his representation also.. but we are still in the crapper.

Alric
03-22-10, 10:09
Space represents ours, happy with his representation also.. but we are still in the crapper.

From this perspective, it is particularly annoying. I can't even write or call anyone, because everyone in my area of influence voted no and the thing still passed.

This is definitely the worst Monday I've had in a while.

JackOSU
03-22-10, 12:57
So it looks like the schmuck went with party lines after all eh??

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/firstreading/entries/2010/03/22/how_health_care_vote_affects_t.html?cxntfid=blogs_first_reading

So the U.S. House passed health-care reform Sunday with a vote of 219 to 212. U.S. Rep. Chet Edwards, D-Waco, broke with his party and voted against the bill. All 31 other Texans in the House voted with their parties (the D’s were for, the R’s against).

See I knew all along the proof would be in the pudding.

As stated before this guy has NO RESPECT from me and the outcome was already known. The BS about not returning or taking the President's call was absurd and just grandstanding.

If you live in Texas you should vote this guy out!!

Alric
03-22-10, 13:07
If you live in Texas [in this guy's district] you should vote this guy out!!

Sadly I can't vote out these idiots.

Artos
03-22-10, 13:08
If you live in Texas you should vote this guy out!!

He'll get voted back in Jack...as will hinojosa and ortize from the same general area. Great place to live if you love to hunt / fish and hide from the cold but I'm surrounded by idiotic lemmings who just pull the single lever.

JackOSU
03-22-10, 16:01
He'll get voted back in Jack...as will hinojosa and ortize from the same general area. Great place to live if you love to hunt / fish and hide from the cold but I'm surrounded by idiotic lemmings who just pull the single lever.

Don't worry we have them here as well.

It seems the whole country is becoming brainwashed idiots.

Sad thing is it will only get worse...I think we've already reached the tipping point of no return. I better keep it down though. Templar already warned of not talking about over throwing the U.S. government in another thread, but isn't that kind of what we did during the Revolutionary War in a sense?? Kind of like cleansing the country side if you know what I mean. I'll go back to my little hole now...:D