PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose

Rated21R
03-20-10, 12:05
I am looking for a 9mm. It will be my all purpose handgun. I will take it to classes, to the range, carry it, have it on the nightstand at night, etc. I really like the P30S but it seems that it won't be out until May (but most folks say much later than that). I have handled the P2000 (both fullsize and SK) the M&P (both sizes) and Glocks. I could never really get used to the Glocks in my hand. I know folks around are partial to all of these. I have searched for LEM versions of the HKs and they are few and far between. Is the SA/DA not all that? I have a class in September and of course would like to have something in hand well before then so I can become as familiar with it as I am with my AF issue Baretta (I have plenty of trigger time with that). Any help would be great. Thanks.

BMcDonald7
03-20-10, 12:16
If you are going to use it for conceal carry I would recommend you go with the P2000sk or the M&P9c. I have the P2000sk and it conceals well. That being said I am picking up a M&P9c soon and I may be selling my P2000sk if I like it a lot better. The P2000sk is a great gun but for some reason it hasn't grown on me as much as my HK P30 has. The P30 is an awesome gun but if you are only going to have 1 gun for all of your carry needs I would recommend you go smaller. I live in Arizona so you cant wear to much clothing when its 110 outside :-). My P2000sk is LEM and I like it, but my P30 is DA/SA and I don't think its all that bad. You get used to the long heavy first trigger pull.

jsbcody
03-20-10, 12:25
I was going to suggest a G19 but since you can't get used to Glocks, then I recommend an M&P with the Apex kit installed. I have a M&P9 Performance Center 5 inch and a M&P40 Fullsize with Apex sear installed (I want to add the other Apex parts) and can say BOTH pistols are great. The M&P is one of the most comfortable and accurate pistols I have ever shoot. As far as H&K, for me the standard LEM is too heavy. There are a couple parts to change out that will make the LEM lighter but I have never handled or shot a light LEM.

Going to add another to look at: Glock 17 Gen 4. I picked up a G22 Gen4 and like it a lot. With Glocks I like the fact that with all the parts out there I can set it up exactly the way I want.

If you can, rent or try out the pistols you are looking at. What fits my hand and me might not fit you.

One last thing, I have attended a couple pistol classes and really became a fan of striker fired pistols. I like the idea of one type of trigger pull when shooting all day.

SWATcop556
03-20-10, 16:13
Have you shot all of the different guns you're considering? I would try to find a range that offers rentals and try them out. I initially did not like how Glocks felt in my hand after carrying and shooting 1911's but after I shot one I liked it.

RB-S13
03-20-10, 20:35
I have a P30 DA/SA and it is not bad at all. The reset is a little long compared to a Glock but for a ccw it works great in my opinion.

Rated21R
03-20-10, 22:52
There aren't too many places around here that rent HKs. I can get my hands on M&Ps and Glocks easy. I fully plan on shooting before I buy, it's just harder than I thought.

davebee456
03-20-10, 23:15
I am lucky to have a P2000sk 9mm and a Glock 19 Love them both but if i had to choose i would keep the P2000sk Da/Sa just my opinion.
I would wait for the P30s if I was you.