PDA

View Full Version : SPR Build (Pics and Info)

JohnVassilakos
03-20-10, 13:13
I just completed my SPR build this week. I was waiting on a couple of small parts to completely finish it up (AAC 51T Brake and custom 3-position gas block) even though I'd assembled it months ago and even shot it a couple times.

Here's the details:

Upper
Mega Machine Billet Upper Receiver
PRI Gas Buster C/H
Fail Zero Bolt Carrier
Superior Barrels 18" Terebraetus Barrel (1/8 twist, polygonally rifled, hard blue coated inside and out)
MP bolt from Superior pre-headspaced to barrel
JP/VTAC Rifle Length FF Tube
Custom 3-position gas block (On/Suppressed/Off)
AAC 51-tooth Muzzle Brake

Lower
Mega Machine Billet Lower
M&A Lower Parts Kit
Geissele High Speed DMR Trigger
Magpul MIAD Grip
Magpul ASAP Plate
Magpul ACS Stock

Optic/Sights/Light
Trijicon TA31H-G (Green Illumination)
Magpul MBUS Front and Rear
Fenix TA20 with Pressure Switch Tailcap (they unfortunately only make the long curly cord ones right now)
VLTOR Offset Scout Mount (puts light at 1 o'clock position when placed on the 3 o'clock rail)
Tango Down Switch Rail Panel (on top rail for ease of use shooting bilaterally)

Here are some photos of it:

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w129/KojakTPD/DSC04170.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w129/KojakTPD/DSC04174.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w129/KojakTPD/DSC04176.jpg

I shot a 10-shot group at 100 yards with it yesterday (just for grins). I didn't let the barrel cool between shots and fired each shot about 3-4 seconds after the previous one. I was shooting Lake City 62gr Green Tip because I wanted to see what the rifle was capable of with surplus ammo. I shot this without the can on the rifle. I plan on shooting another group with it to see if it tightens up any.

Center-to-Center (the two fliers):

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w129/KojakTPD/DSC04179.jpg

And if you throw those two out, the other 8 shots:

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w129/KojakTPD/DSC04180.jpg

sickpup
03-20-10, 20:29
nice...

diving dave
03-20-10, 22:05
Love it, nice stick! A 18 in. upper is next on my shopping list.

USAGOLD
03-21-10, 14:37
great looking setup and looks like it shoots to

JohnVassilakos
03-21-10, 17:24
Thanks for the kind words guys.

I set out to build a "no compromise" SPR and selected every part for a specific reason.

It would have been easier (and probably cheaper) to just buy an 18" Noveske or Larue rifle but I wanted to build it myself.

I'm sure with a higher power optic and really good ammo I could get a sub-1" 10-shot group out of it. I might try something like that for grins one of these days, just to see what it's capable of.

K9222
03-21-10, 17:41
Thats impressive considering its "green tip" ,Trijicon, and rapid fire. I would like to see what it does with the can on with the "green tip". Me likey very much.

J Krammes
03-24-10, 10:06
Nice build. I just finished my own SPR build. Could you provide a little more info about the gas block?

Jeremy

Mike Miller
03-24-10, 17:12
How much does it weigh without the supressor? And have you tried using it for any prolonged amount of time?

shootist~
03-25-10, 18:58
I like it.

Is there a specific reason you went with the JP/VTAC tube? My shooting buddies keep telling me that's what I should use for an SPR type build (over the VTAC Extreme or a quad rail). And I'm dammed if I can make up my mind.

JohnVassilakos
03-26-10, 01:07
I like it.

Is there a specific reason you went with the JP/VTAC tube? My shooting buddies keep telling me that's what I should use for an SPR type build (over the VTAC Extreme or a quad rail). And I'm dammed if I can make up my mind.

I went with the JP/VTAC tube over a quad rail becuase I don't mount a whole lot on the front of my rifles. I'm not a VFG guy and don't have the desire to hang a bunch of tacticool gizmos on my stick. I am all about a light - which the JP/VTAC tube easily allows me to mount - but that's about it. Not to mention the only quad rail close in weight was considerably more $. And then when you add rail covers it gets even heavier.

I would ultimately like to have the light at 12:00 but with the setup I've got it just didn't work for me. Instead it's at 1:00 and my front sight is all the way out on the rail so I've got the longest sight radius possible. Behind the front sight is a rail panel with switch cutout so that I can work the light with my thumb of my forward hand regardless of when I'm shooting right or left handed.

The only reason I didn't go with the VTAC Extreme is because I didn't know it existed until now.

JohnVassilakos
03-26-10, 01:11
Nice build. I just finished my own SPR build. Could you provide a little more info about the gas block?

Jeremy
I got it from a guy over on quarterbore forums with the user name tp555. He works for Paladin Machine. Just google "Paladin Machine gas block" and it should bring up a website with contact info. I'm posting from my Iphone or I'd post the link.

hikeeba
03-26-10, 09:56
That;s a very nice rifle, John. I have a Superior Barrels 'Amynta' 16.1" barrel that is waiting for an upper. I am very much looking forward to completing that project.

danpass
03-26-10, 10:04
very nice.

now swap that 30rndr for some sniper clips and it'll shoot even better!

just kidding. the 20rnd mags just make prone easy

what match ammo (or handloads) do you plan on trying out?

sadmin
03-26-10, 10:36
nice rifle. i use that same light on an spr i use for killing hogs. imo fenix is so underrated. good job.