PDA

View Full Version : Man Shot At Gunshow

crob1
03-20-10, 18:51
http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=134994&catid=339

Very few details in the article. My sons and I were there. We were towards the back of the building and the incident happened up front. We heard the shot and the place went silent for several seconds-then back to normal. We heard a witness later telling a vendor that someone picked up a gun off a table and pulled the trigger and shot someone close to him. The victim was hit in the shoulder area. We never found out his specific condition though.

I couldn't believe it happened. Another vendor told us that a few years ago, someone was going around putting live rounds into guns. I think all the guns, or certainly most, have the actions tie wrapped or the guns are locked with cables. There are a LOT of guns and people to keep an eye on though.

It was a perfect illustration to drive home the point that you are to treat ALL guns like they are loaded. It's amazing to watch the carelessness with which some bozos handle guns at shows.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-20-10, 19:01
Amazing the round didn't land in the piles of useless Nylon and Kydex gear, or come to rest in the bags and bags of dried food and crap I've seen at the show. All that safety gear and still an ND. Hope all goes well for the victim.

ST911
03-20-10, 19:09
I couldn't believe it happened.

I can't believe it doesn't happen more, given some of the gunshow buffoonery I've seen.

decodeddiesel
03-20-10, 19:11
About time for another ND at a Colorado gun show. :rolleyes:

OP: You do realize this usually happens at least 2x a year at either Tanner, Crossroads, or Loveland right?

This is the exact reason I don't go within a grid square of that place when there's a show going on. Not to mention the self appointed "experts" ("The reason y'all can't find no ammo at Walmart no more is because they're sending it all over seas to the troops. God Bless America!" :rolleyes:), Beanie Babies, Elk Jerky, Nazi Memorabilia, Coin Collections, Airsoft, Nylon Tacti-cool garbage, T-Shirts and sweat shirts with wolves/American flags/eagles/hawks/stallions or a combination of the above, putrid smell, grotesquely obese people, etc.

ETA to add:

Leather biker vests covered in Nam patches, but when questioned the wearer admits he never went to Nam. :rolleyes:

The hot dog vendor that makes me vomit in my mouth a little every time I see, or smell him. :eek:

The asshats that have a Walmart ammo counter in it's entirety laid out on their table with a measly 300% mark-up. :mad:

The creep jobs...god those guys give me the creeps. Which leads me to my next point...

The fact that I have to leave my licensed CCW piece in my car. :mad:

The guy with the table of aviation helmets, not wanting to sell but wanting to trade. Who the **** has an F4 Phantom Pilot's helmet sitting around to trade? :confused:

The tables and tables of surplus Soviet garbage. "Here, buy this Bulgarian trauma kit made in 1982. It's still sterile." :rolleyes:

The roasted nuts (or what ever other nasty junk food they are peddling these days). Bleh...

The guy selling the replica blank firing guns at the show.

The snobs who seem to find their way in there looking for good deals and are repulsed and disgusted by the spectacle of what they find...er wait a minute! :p

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-20-10, 19:29
This is the exact reason I don't go within a grid square of that place when there's a show going on. Not to mention the self appointed "experts" ("The reason y'all can't find no ammo at Walmart no more is because they're sending it all over seas to the troops. God Bless America!" :rolleyes:), Beanie Babies, Elk Jerky, Nazi Memorabilia, Coin Collections, Airsoft, Nylon Tacti-cool garbage, T-Shirts and sweat shirts with wolves/American flags/eagles/hawks/stallions or a combination of the above, putrid smell, grotesquely obese people, etc.

The same old guns everytime for crazy high prices with a pro-mag in zip lock baggie.

I really did think this was an old post revived. Same thing happened pretty recently I thought.

I stopped going because I was worried that the stupid would rub off on me.

crob1
03-20-10, 19:47
Decodeddiesel,

I did not realize that. I doubt we'll ever go to another one. Your assessment is eerily accurate.

Biggy
03-20-10, 20:08
My buddy took me to the Ohio Gun Collectors Show down by Wilmington, Ohio last weekend. While I was filling out my guess pass form a guy right beside me was having his snubby checked out before entering the show. The guy checking the gun swung the cylinder open and out fell 5 cartridges on the table. They told him to leave and he asked if he could get his $10 back, which I think he did.

Ridge_Runner_5
03-20-10, 22:33

OP: You do realize this usually happens at least 2x a year at either Tanner, Crossroads, or Loveland right?.

Was it last year or the year before where there were NDs at two consecutive Tanner gun shows?

seebee
03-20-10, 22:58
I can't believe it doesn't happen more, given some of the gunshow buffoonery I've seen.

I couldn't agree more. Some of the morons and goofy stuff I see at gun shows makes me scared. I'm afraid of getting tazered zapped or shot. Saw some moron blonds 18 year old binbo demonstrate a tazer and dropped it on ground and almost zapped herself... f-in hilarious. I mean who picks up a gun and 1st thing they do is pull the trigger. what the F%%K. I'm scared to go to gun shows, also because of the people buying guns at the shows.:cool:

KS Trekker
03-20-10, 23:14
[...] Beanie Babies, Elk Jerky, Nazi Memorabilia, Coin Collections, Airsoft, Nylon Tacti-cool garbage, T-Shirts and sweat shirts with wolves/American flags/eagles/hawks/stallions or a combination of the above, putrid smell, grotesquely obese people, etc.

You pretty much described every gun show that I've attended! :p

Bobert0989
03-21-10, 00:04
Am I the only person that drops the mag (when applicable) and checks the chamber of EVERY firearm when I pick it up, even if I was the one that put it in the gun safe last week?

Seriously, who actually grabs up a gun from a table and just pulls the trigger? These are the people that will keep the NRA in operation, I believe. Their slogan should read:

"Keeping your rights safe from idiots with guns" or something along those lines.

~Bobby

CoryCop25
03-21-10, 00:09
Whenever I am in the shop or at a show, I do a chamber check before I hand ANYTHING to a customer. We have some rifles out during a show and I will pick them up and check them periodically also. I have never been at a show where there's been an ND but I'm sure it happens. Simple common sense should keep this from happening.

wingo
03-21-10, 00:23
They where a good place to buy a knife till I found better on the internet. I don't feel so bad now for watching out for the crowd, and only coming away with alligator jerky.

Icculus
03-21-10, 07:40
I usually head to the gun show when it comes to town (next weekend actually). I find them somewhat enjoyable to be able to see some guns that maybe I've only seen in pictures and depending on my intent, possibly fondle one that I may have curious interest in buying but never been able to handle and hold. That being said; a lot of the people that don't know shit but like to hear themselves talk, all the other crap gear; and the typical lack of good prices usually makes my trip very short. Most times I make one lap, maybe go buy a case of ammo if I can find a deal and then leave and walking back to the car wondering if I just wasted $7 getting in the thing. No ND's at one yet and haven't heard of any at local shows but given some of the yahoo's walking around I'm sure its only a matter of time.

GermanSynergy
03-21-10, 10:37
I haven't been to a gun show in years. Seeing articles such as this makes me think I've made the right choice in not attending.

dbrowne1
03-21-10, 10:47

That's every gun show, not just the ones in Colorado.

The only thing that tempts me to show up them these days is the people-watching and entertainment value. It used to be that one could find deals on magazines, ammunition, etc. - but that no longer seems to be the case.

99HMC4
03-21-10, 11:06
I haven't been to a gun show in years. Seeing articles such as this makes me think I've made the right choice in not attending.

SO where do you buy all your roasted almonds? :D
Gun shows suck. Complete waste of money and time. :rolleyes:

GermanSynergy
03-21-10, 11:07
I've never understood the fascination with the Nazi garbage they sell at gunshows. Do these people understand that is a regime like that came to power that all gun owners would be disarmed and sent to concentration camps?

Ridge_Runner_5
03-21-10, 11:27
I've never understood the fascination with the Nazi garbage they sell at gunshows. Do these people understand that is a regime like that came to power that all gun owners would be disarmed and sent to concentration camps?

+1

Antis like to use it to show we are all wackjobs, too...

wes007
03-21-10, 11:29
[QUOTE=decodeddiesel;606653]About time for another ND at a Colorado gun show. :rolleyes:

OP: You do realize this usually happens at least 2x a year at either Tanner, Crossroads, or Loveland right?

This is the exact reason I don't go within a grid square of that place when there's a show going on. Not to mention the self appointed "experts" ("The reason y'all can't find no ammo at Walmart no more is because they're sending it all over seas to the troops. God Bless America!" :rolleyes:), Beanie Babies, Elk Jerky, Nu

+1

Lets not forget about the peddlers either..
Last year I had a guy low ball me on my Sig ( I should have been smarter). He came up to me and asked what I had in the box and asked to see it etc. He offered me $400 and I took his offer only because I needed the money. I walk past a table in the back about 15min later only to find my sig for sale for $550. Those SOBs could barely look me in the eye when I was questioning them about the sig

Ark1443
03-21-10, 11:45
What was he doing pointing the gun at someone anyway, unloaded or not? Shame he didn't point it at himself instead. :rolleyes:

Safetyhit
03-21-10, 12:18

You took the words right out of my mouth. Heard of this craziness before recently, sounds very little like the ones I went to in the 80's and early 90's.

KS Trekker
03-21-10, 12:27

Gun shows seem to drive out all the roaches from their corners. About 60% of the crowd at gun shows I've attended are Joe Normal. The other 40% are white supremacist, militia types, mall ninjas, foil-hat-wearing conspiracy theorist, and OC'ers. :rolleyes:

Mark/MO
03-21-10, 13:33
About 15 years ago my Dad and I went the Tulsa OK gun show. It was, and I assume still is, a really big show. About halfway through and we hear a gunshot. Amazing how quiet it gets immediately after. :) We left shortly thereafter.

I have to agree; it usually seems like a freak show. I very rarely go unless my son talks me into it. My children, no matter how old they get, have incredible powers of persuasion over me (or so my wife claims).

LonghunterCO
03-21-10, 13:58
Was wanting to head up there today...going to have to pass.

GermanSynergy
03-21-10, 14:08
You took the words right out of my mouth. Heard of this craziness before recently, sounds very little like the ones I went to in the 80's and early 90's.

In this day and age, I deal with a few select vendors online and FFLs that meet all of my gun buying needs. Years ago there may have been good deals to be had at these venues, but those days are long gone, IMHO.

I'll add that this asshattery of selling neo Nazi crap, white supremacist literature & the like at guns shows REALLY does the pro-2A movement no favors when it comes to the perceptions of the general public. :rolleyes:

Icculus
03-21-10, 14:13
Decoded that was both hilarious and frighteningly accurate

I've never understood the fascination with the Nazi garbage they sell at gunshows.

I've never understood this either

Lets not forget about the peddlers either..
Last year I had a guy low ball me on my Sig ( I should have been smarter). He came up to me and asked what I had in the box and asked to see it etc. He offered me $400 and I took his offer only because I needed the money. I walk past a table in the back about 15min later only to find my sig for sale for $550. Those SOBs could barely look me in the eye when I was questioning them about the sig

That sucks man but I think you only have yourself to blame for that one. If you really needed the cash and didn't think you were going to get another offer I can understand but can't fault the guy for trying to turn a profit. Not like he was trying to sell your used one for more than a new one--which I saw some asshat trying to do at the last show I was at. Why yes I'll gladly give you $950 for your used P229 with marred frame rails where the original owner took it out of the box and ran 500 rounds through it bone dry with no lube:rolleyes:

crob1
03-21-10, 14:27
I will say I got a good deal on a Kahr CW9 at a show. I was looking at new ones when a guy appeared behind me and told me he had one he was selling. Of course it was used but in great shape. I got it for $350.

AMMOTECH
03-21-10, 15:45

ETA to add:

Leather biker vests covered in Nam patches, but when questioned the wearer admits he never went to Nam. :rolleyes:

The hot dog vendor that makes me vomit in my mouth a little every time I see, or smell him. :eek:

The asshats that have a Walmart ammo counter in it's entirety laid out on their table with a measly 300% mark-up. :mad:

The creep jobs...god those guys give me the creeps. Which leads me to my next point...

The guy with the table of aviation helmets, not wanting to sell but wanting to trade. Who the **** has an F4 Phantom Pilot's helmet sitting around to trade? :confused:

The tables and tables of surplus Soviet garbage. "Here, buy this Bulgarian trauma kit made in 1982. It's still sterile." :rolleyes:

The roasted nuts (or what ever other nasty junk food they are peddling these days). Bleh...

The snobs who seem to find their way in there looking for good deals and are repulsed and disgusted by the spectacle of what they find...er wait a minute! :p

This ^ about covers it.

I'm not a big fan of the shows. Long ago...maybe but now not so much. I may go once a year just to pick up some ammo.

jaydoc1
03-21-10, 16:31
This ^ about covers it.

I'm not a big fan of the shows. Long ago...maybe but now not so much. I may go once a year just to pick up some ammo.

Online dealers will deliver to my house all the cartridges I need by the thousands and at less cost per round (including shipping) than I have seen at any of the Colorado gun shows I've been to. I just have to be ready to step up and hit the buy button whenever it becomes available.

99HMC4
03-21-10, 16:55
Well while were talking about stuff at gun show, I carried to the last three I went to. I just told the officer at the door I didnt have a gun...:rolleyes: Can you belive I outsmarted the system?
Edit: the only "afforable" ammo I ever see at show is back yard reloads...

Mjolnir
03-21-10, 22:03

ETA to add:

That brings back memories of Gibraltar Trade Center in the Detroit Metro Area! :p

Jer
03-21-10, 23:32
This is exactly why I avoid that redneck convention.

Ridge_Runner_5
03-22-10, 00:15
So I was at the show today. Managed to sell a few things, saw Tom Tancredo there (God I miss having that man represent me).

Was there with a friend trying to sell his pistol, but no takers...

chadbag
03-22-10, 02:45
Yeah, I have not been to one of the Utah ones in 4 or so years and have not set up a table since 2005 at them. Basically the same. Though there was (probably still is) this bread vendor that had really really good artisan breads and dips and always had samples of like 10 different sorts out to try.

The bit about the CCW piece. They don't frisk or scan you... (at least not in Utah) Just remember that concealed means concealed.

mnagant762
03-22-10, 03:32
Yeah at the York, PA. show they just have some asswad at the door asking if anyone is carrying a gun and if your dumb enough to step up he just makes you unload it and get back in line.

decodeddiesel
03-22-10, 08:52
The bit about the CCW piece. They don't frisk or scan you... (at least not in Utah) Just remember that concealed means concealed.

True, and normally I simply ignore a venue's "policy" unless it is enforceable by law (most of the time all they can legally do is ask you to leave if your are discovered). However there's some weird state regulations at Colorado gun shows that I would rather not mess with. Just another reason for me to simply not go.

Zhurdan
03-22-10, 09:04
Last one I went to was entertaining, at least. Gang banger was buying an AK47 and a crate of 7.62 for it. As he walked away, his pants fell down, they fell the F#$@ DOWN!!! (sorry, listen to too much Ron White). It was entertaining watching him try to find a place to set the crate down while everyone laughed. That's been a few years ago... haven't been back, but it was definitely worth the laugh.

PdxMotoxer
03-22-10, 09:33
I've gotten some pretty good deals in the past but the last few times
EVERYTHING seemed so high priced (and not just the $9 each for the wife and I, plus the $8 parking that they are not even responsible if ANYTHING happens to your vehicle)

Our "Largest 3 day show" was this weekend but i opted out even though I'm
looking for some 223 stripper clips and some odds and ends.

When I read about this (and past AD's) at gun shows, what surprises me most......
is no one returned fire. :eek:

I do not so much mind having to leave my loaded mag in my pocket, i mean my truck and have then zip-tie my trigger back. (i will not let then go through the action) but mainly because here in Portland Oregon the police presence at our
gun show is amazing.
I mean groups of 4 or 5 ever where!!!

If anything goes down I'm duckin cover and letting the "pros" do their job.

Plus the bonus crap stories you get to hear gun "dealers" tell some people.
I mean it's amazing the mis-information you hear just walking around those shows.

PdxMotoxer
03-22-10, 09:37
Last one I went to was entertaining, at least. Gang banger was buying an AK47 and a crate of 7.62 for it. As he walked away, his pants fell down, they fell the F#$@ DOWN!!! (sorry, listen to too much Ron White). It was entertaining watching him try to find a place to set the crate down while everyone laughed. That's been a few years ago... haven't been back, but it was definitely worth the laugh.

one question i have is why do those so called gang bangers wear their pants like
that when you know 98% of them are going to bolt if the po-po tries to stop one
even just to "talk" to em.

Who ya gonna out run with your pants around your ankles of even they used to
not use laces in their shoes.

but then again no one ever accused them of being smart.. lol

SouthParkTactical
03-22-10, 11:00
To all of the GS haters...

I like gun shows, have always had fun at them. Something that my dad and I have always done together since I was a young kid.

Some of the stereotypes being lampooned are both accurate and funny... but as with all stereotypes they miss the bigger picture. In almost 30 years of going to Gun shows I have seen them attended by: Women, kids, every type of minority, families, service members, bikers, off duty police, pretty normal folks, and kind of weird folks. Gun owners/enthusiasts are a diverse bunch!

Clearly any large gathering of people also brings out the stupid and careless, but I don't think the percentage of these types are any higher at a gun show than say a concert or sporting event. Obviously there is risk when subjected to the unreasonable acts of others, but no more or less at a GS than in everyday life IMHO.

In regards to the Nazi memorabilia, whats the big deal? Just because people are interested in and collect relics from that evil regime doesn't mean they endorse it. Nazi proof marks add value to firearms in most cases. If I were over in Urp during WWII, I sure would have wanted a luger, but because I always check the chamber and point in a safe direction I would not have shot myself in the leg with it. :)

John_Wayne777
03-22-10, 12:02
I've always found the proclivity of people to pick up firearms and start yanking the trigger to be annoying, whether it is in a gunstore or a gunshow or just in general. I'm sure probably 2/3rds of the people who are shot accidentally are shot by an unloaded gun.

On more than one occasion employees at my formerly favorite gunstore had people walk in pointing high-powered rifles at them that were "unloaded", of course. A few people still maintained that the gun was "unloaded" even after the employees ejected a live round from the weapon.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-22-10, 13:08
I'm sure probably 2/3rds of the people who are shot accidentally are shot by an unloaded gun.

Sounds funny in isolation, but it is so true.

10MMGary
03-22-10, 18:22
:rolleyes:

I like gun shows, have always had fun at them. Something that my dad and I have always done together since I was a young kid.

Some of the stereotypes being lampooned are both accurate and funny... but as with all stereotypes they miss the bigger picture. In almost 30 years of going to Gun shows I have seen them attended by: Women, kids, every type of minority, families, service members, bikers, off duty police, pretty normal folks, and kind of weird folks. Gun owners/enthusiasts are a diverse bunch!

Clearly any large gathering of people also brings out the stupid and careless, but I don't think the percentage of these types are any higher at a gun show than say a concert or sporting event. Obviously there is risk when subjected to the unreasonable acts of others, but no more or less at a GS than in everyday life IMHO.

In regards to the Nazi memorabilia, whats the big deal? Just because people are interested in and collect relics from that evil regime doesn't mean they endorse it. Nazi proof marks add value to firearms in most cases. If I were over in Urp during WWII, I sure would have wanted a luger, but because I always check the chamber and point in a safe direction I would not have shot myself in the leg with it. :)

Gets my post of the month award, nine days left for someone to top it. I too am saddened to see beanie baby hucksters and the black helicopter crowd so well represented, but am overjoyed to see what the poster above pointed out so well.

I go to the Lakeland FL collectors show(maybe the wrong name) whenever I remember that is is coming, it is a good show and always something historical or otherwise very interesting to see there. I hit a Suncoast show maybe once a year, and almost always get a deal on something I need. I have sold dozens of guns at both shows over the years and bought more than a few at both shows back in the day. I hope the gun show continues to be a part of Americana for a long time to come. It is a good example of what is both great and not so great in our society/country.

FWIW I have a SIL who seriously thought she would be able to sell the beanie baby collection she paid a few K for back at the height of the craze, and would make enough to pay my niece's way through college:rolleyes:. Thankfully my niece was/is a hard worker and smart. She is paying for her own education and is having a beanie baby turkey shoot:D on graduation day.

milosz
03-22-10, 18:46
I go to gun shows to see the four or five big dealers in the area (Dallas/Ft Worth) - too many XDs and Kimbers, but sometimes one of them will have something new and interesting. Their prices are almost as good as Buds/etc. and I get to walk out with it instead of waiting.

Ridge_Runner_5
03-22-10, 20:09
I go to gun shows to see the four or five big dealers in the area (Dallas/Ft Worth) - too many XDs and Kimbers, but sometimes one of them will have something new and interesting. Their prices are almost as good as Buds/etc. and I get to walk out with it instead of waiting.

Was trying to find Kimbers yesterday, but not a one in the house:(

John_Wayne777
03-23-10, 09:29
Speaking of people who pick up a weapon and pull the trigger without critical thought:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=574_1269320728

Man shoots himself at a wedding.

GermanSynergy
03-23-10, 09:32
Speaking of people who pick up a weapon and pull the trigger without critical thought:

Spending any amount of time at a public range will confirm this.

Zhurdan
03-23-10, 09:34

Worse yet... who every heard of playing Russian roulette with a semi-auto? Just another drop of bleach in the gene pool. Idiots.

GermanSynergy
03-23-10, 09:39

The "big deal" with selling Nazi junk is that it portrays gun shows in general, and gun owners in particular in a negative light. I'm not talking about K98's, Lugers, etc. What I'm referring to is the sale of white supremacist literature and the like.

Bottom line- it casts us all in a bad light & if I was promoting a gun show I would not permit racist/white supremacist/Nazi literature to be sold at my venue.

John_Wayne777
03-23-10, 09:41
I don't know Russian, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the guy in the light shirt at some point said "It's not loaded!" in Russian before his idiot friend introduced 100 grains of Darwin into his cranium, again lending credibility to my theory that "unloaded" guns are extremely dangerous.

-gary
03-23-10, 09:56
Spending any amount of time at a public range will confirm this.

The only times that I have ever truly thought I was about to be shot were at public ranges.

Colo.TJ
03-23-10, 10:02
The "big deal" with selling Nazi junk is that it portrays gun shows in general, and gun owners in particular in a negative light. I'm not talking about K98's, Lugers, etc. What I'm referring to is the sale of white supremacist literature and the like.

Bottom line- it casts us all in a bad light & if I was promoting a gun show I would not permit racist/white supremacist/Nazi literature to be sold at my venue.

So you believe in the 2nd amendment but not the 1st?:confused:

The_War_Wagon
03-23-10, 10:11
Wow... someone shot at a gun show OUTSIDE PA! :rolleyes: I thought we were the only place where people loaded guns for sale at a show.

Good reminder about safe gunhandling at a gunshow, though. Now if we could just stress that to YAY-hoos in gun shops... :eek:

skyugo
03-23-10, 10:19
I've always found the proclivity of people to pick up firearms and start yanking the trigger to be annoying, whether it is in a gunstore or a gunshow or just in general. I'm sure probably 2/3rds of the people who are shot accidentally are shot by an unloaded gun.

On more than one occasion employees at my formerly favorite gunstore had people walk in pointing high-powered rifles at them that were "unloaded", of course. A few people still maintained that the gun was "unloaded" even after the employees ejected a live round from the weapon.

it freaks me out... it's like the first thing a non-gun person does when you hand em a gun... finger right to the trigger. :eek:

skyugo
03-23-10, 10:21

a gun show is a private venue, the owner of the venue has a say in what can take place inside. same reason they can make you unload your CCW at the door.

decodeddiesel
03-23-10, 10:27
a gun show is a private venue, the owner of the venue has a say in what can take place inside. same reason they can make you unload your CCW at the door.

Exactly. This is the same reason I cannot hang pictures of porn in my office.

I agree that the Nazi shit paints us all in a bad light. It's one thing to have a luger or a PPK or a K98 with Nazi proof marks on your table. Even a Hitler Youth dagger or something to that effect. The issue is that I have seen skinhead/neo-nazi/white supremacist literature on these same tables. I don't want to be anywhere near that shit.

Mike Miller
03-23-10, 12:42
I've only gone to 3 gunshows, I don't think I will ever go back. I feel mad and somewhat embarrassed that I spent my money to enter a place where they display Nazi flags and white supremacist books.

Not saying everyone does it, but the organizers of a show shouldn't allow that shit. The last one I went to was at a National Guard armory, I would have gone ape-shit if they had ****ing Nazi flags in that place.

GermanSynergy
03-23-10, 12:44

My venue, my rules.

Huntindoc
03-23-10, 13:07
Hi. I'm new here. I'm a conservative, physician, husband, father of 4, outdoorsman and basic gun nut.

My 2c.
I've been to more shows than I can count and at least here in Texas they tend to be mostly conservative, family oriented hunters and sportsman, and solders who attend. You still see plenty of folks who appear to be nut jobs but very little if any white supremest stuff. You will see more confederate flags than swasticas here.

I have only been present when one ND occured years ago at a Houston show where a customer handed a handgun to a dealer/gun smith when discussing having a trigger job done. The dealer pointed the gun at the ground (fortunately) and pulled the trigger without checking the chamber. His table was cleared and he was kicked out within 10 minutes. I was on the other side of the show at the time but it sure was exciting for a minute.

I still enjoy a good show and am always on the lookout for a bargain. Being a Doc in a fairly small community I know a lot of folks and it is a good social time with people who, like me, enjoy hunting and shooting.

FlyAndFight
03-23-10, 15:42
The gun shows here in South Florida tend to have a little of everything, with the exception of the white supremacy crap. If it's around, I have yet to see it.

What does make the show worthwhile is that it appears to be THE venue for the "Let's show off my wife's/girlfriend's new boob job" crowd. ;)

CoryCop25
03-23-10, 16:08
Exactly. This is the same reason I cannot hang pictures of porn in my office.

I agree that the Nazi shit paints us all in a bad light. It's one thing to have a luger or a PPK or a K98 with Nazi proof marks on your table. Even a Hitler Youth dagger or something to that effect. The issue is that I have seen skinhead/neo-nazi/white supremacist literature on these same tables. I don't want to be anywhere near that shit.

Exactly! The owner of the gun shop that I work for part-time probably has one of the largest German Military Uniform collections in the country. He has even gone to Russia and dug up some very nice pieces, helmets, guns, trench lanterns etc...We also host about 25-30 guns hows a year. The store is based upon WWII weapons with a couple of modern weapons to grab interest. I have never seen ANYTHING resembling Neo-Nazi or WS in his shop or home for that matter. There is a certain niche for these items in a historic manner but it's the ignorant goofballs that give it a bad name. History is very intriguing to many people whether it be WWII or the Spanish Indian War. We should take a look at each each individual vendor separately and see what their true motive is for possessing these artifacts.

Colo.TJ
03-23-10, 19:55
My venue, my rules.

Thier venue, their rules and they obviously allow it. While they may or may not agree with the message they may see the value of allowing someone other then themselves to exercise their 1st amendment rights.

Like you, I don't agree with the message but I will use my 2nd amendment rights to defend thier 1st amendment rights if ever needed.

The way I see your opinion of disallowing someone thier right to free speech is a lot like the way I see anti gunners saying things like "only police need guns" or "you can own a hand gun self defense or a shot gun for hunting but an AR style rifle is not needed by the average citizen".

I'm a big proponent of property rights and if you don't want them in your gun show that's fine. I just find it ironic that you post on a gun website yet get upset when you see someone exercising a right to free speech with a message you don't agree with.

GermanSynergy
03-23-10, 20:04
Thier venue, their rules and they obviously allow it. While they may or may not agree with the message they may see the value of allowing someone other then themselves to exercise their 1st amendment rights.

Like you, I don't agree with the message but I will use my 2nd amendment rights to defend thier 1st amendment rights if ever needed.

The way I see your opinion of disallowing someone thier right to free speech is a lot like the way I see anti gunners saying things like "only police need guns" or "you can own a hand gun self defense or a shot gun for hunting but an AR style rifle is not needed by the average citizen".

I'm a big proponent of property rights and if you don't want them in your gun show that's fine. I just find it ironic that you post on a gun website yet get upset when you see someone exercising a right to free speech with a message you don't agree with.

So you'd take up arms to defend white supremacists & Nazis? Interesting to say the least.

Mike Miller
03-23-10, 21:31
Freedom of speech, and the Bill of Rights in general, are the natural rights of man as applied to govt interference. No one's saying the govt. should get involved and arrest them.

You'd take up arms to deny someone else the right to private property so that a skinhead could spew his shit?