PDA

View Full Version : Glock Grip Enhancement...what do you use?

Redhat
03-21-10, 12:54
I am not too satisfied with the "grippiness" of my stock G19. I've seen various stick on types and the rubber piece that slides over the grip (which I will not use).

What have you "G" shooters found to work best for you?

Thanks.

matt86
03-21-10, 13:06
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6831/Product/SEMI_AUTO_DECAL_GRIP

this stuff in the rubber version is awesome. my 19 feels like its glued to my hands when i shoot. Plus, give it a shot,if you dont like it, youre only out 10 bucks.

Redhat
03-21-10, 13:28
Thanks,

Those are the ones I'm leaning towards, but I wanted to find out from users how well they work/hold-up or if there is something better.

DocGKR
03-21-10, 21:46
A piece of mountain bike inner tube is acceptable, grip tape is OK, and a skillfully applied soldering iron works quite nicely.

Redhat
03-21-10, 22:02
Thanks Doc,

Not looking to do any permanent modification and I have heard some say innertube type rubber sleeves can slip over the mag release.

Any truth to that?

Thanks

VMI-MO
03-21-10, 22:17
Skate tape works well. It does have its drawbacks. It usually is not compatable with certian holsters. It also tends to come off if you get cheap stuff.

Soldering works very well. I was hesitant to do this to my Glocks but I went for it anyway. I am 100% glad I did.

PJ

smokenssz
03-21-10, 22:17
Hogue grip

RB-S13
03-21-10, 22:23
I use Talon Grips on all my Glocks. They provide great grip and won't tear up your hands.
They are pretty cheap and stay in place well but won't leave behind sticky residue if you decide to take them off.

Talongungrips.com is their website I think.

Redhat
03-21-10, 22:36
Thanks RB,

That's one I hadn't seen before.

recon
03-21-10, 22:55
www.Talongungrips.com

Oscar 319
03-21-10, 23:09
For non-concealed carry, I like the "rubber" texture Decal Grip. It is too tacky (catches on clothing) for concealed carry.

It does need replacing every so often though....

http://www.tgscom.com/images/sharedimages/glockworld/glock%20decal%20grip%202.jpg

www.decalgrip.com

ras61541
03-22-10, 09:46
I prefer to run mine without anything extra, but alot of guys I know use the custom grip tape and seem to really like it.

RPD03
03-22-10, 10:11
I use the Truegrip, very similiar to the TalonGrip. Been using it for @ 5 years on both duty and off duty glocks and have never had a problem.

www.Truegripusa.com

Tomahawk_Ghost
03-22-10, 11:30
A piece of mountain bike inner tube is acceptable, grip tape is OK, and a skillfully applied soldering iron works quite nicely.

I've tried several different types of grips and a combination of the above works best for my Generation 2 Glock 22.

Sproggy
03-22-10, 11:50
Another vote or trugrip.....its like talongrip but provides more grip coverage.

awm14hp
03-22-10, 14:37
Like John said the 3m floor tape rocks I love it I tried most grips and tubes and such the 3 m worked the best for a replaceable item. Also you can sand it down if its to grippy I have found the one I have that has had it on for 1.5 now is near perfect now from normal wear. You can get it at home depot. I also put it only on the inside of the pistol not the out were it can catch on the clothes.

HK45
03-22-10, 15:06
For me the only viable long term solution is stippling. You can choose the level to suit your girly or manly skin, it doesn't slip or slide, and doesn't have to be reapplied.

You can see examples here at Robar's site.

http://www.robarguns.com/glock.htm

Boresight does a great job as do many others but Robar is here in Phoenix so that makes it easy for me to use them.

Redhat
03-22-10, 18:05
Thanks all,

Lots of options out there. I went with the decal grips.

bullitt5172
03-22-10, 19:39
Forget the stick on junk, send it to Ben @ Boresight Solutions...my Glock 17 in the middle of Steve's two M&P's.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l274/bglimpse/indexphp.jpg

Redhat
03-22-10, 20:02
Forget the stick on junk, send it to Ben @ Boresight Solutions...my Glock 17 in the middle of Steve's two M&P's.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l274/bglimpse/indexphp.jpg

Bullitt5172,

Nice, but like I said previously, I'm not looking to do a permanent mod.

Thanks

PlatoCATM
03-22-10, 20:03
I just tried out a new woodburning tool tonight ($10 at the fabric store) on an M&P insert and a couple KAC grip panels. While I don't have a surgeon's touch, it produced acceptable results. With some more practice I may get the confidence up to apply the technique to my own G19. Just start with something cheap and disposable to learn how to do it and to figure out what kind of texture you want.

JSGlock34
03-22-10, 20:51
I purchased a sheet of skateboard tape from a local sporting goods store. I then put my Glock on my xerox machine and ran off a true sized paper copy. Using the paper as a template, I cut out the skateboard tape to match the grip area. Total investment under $5. I've made more than a few sets for my friends and still have plenty of tape left.

jacobswel
03-30-10, 21:46
I had the tape on mine and then shot a buddy's that had been stippled and there was a hugh difference. I know you don't want a permanent change and I didn't either but it was worth it. Here is my G22 grip.
http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr145/jacobswell26/IMG_0686.jpg

Dave G
03-30-10, 22:03

Just curious if the inner tube gets really slick when wet

Detmongo
03-30-10, 22:11
Just curious if the inner tube gets really slick when wet

Dave
it dosen't been using it for years and shot in some pretty heavy down pours with no loss of grip on the gun.

Dave G
03-30-10, 22:15
Dave
it dosen't been using it for years and shot in some pretty heavy down pours with no loss of grip on the gun.

I might have to test that out. Does it grip onto your clothing holstered?

Detmongo
03-30-10, 22:22
no not at all. i've been using it on my glocks since 1993. sometimes carrying in deep concealment do to certain assignments with no printing or grabing of the cover garment.

Dave G
03-30-10, 22:48
no not at all. i've been using it on my glocks since 1993. sometimes carrying in deep concealment do to certain assignments with no printing or grabing of the cover garment.

Thanks for the info. I might hit up a bike store tomorrow and use my good looks and charm to get a used tube!

Redhat
03-30-10, 22:57

Any concerns with it working its way over the mag release?

l3mon
03-30-10, 22:59
Thanks Doc,

Not looking to do any permanent modification and I have heard some say innertube type rubber sleeves can slip over the mag release.

Any truth to that?

Thanks

I have inner tube on mine, no problems after 1000+ rounds..

DARK-KNIGHT
03-30-10, 23:17
I bought a roll of 3M tape and used a Talon and Decal grip as a stencil. I have cut out several for myself and guys on my squad with no problems. It beats paying $10-15 per grip.

Detmongo
03-31-10, 09:08
Red
i have put over the mag release to show people it WILL NOT stop the mag. release from working properly. remember the inner tube is pretty thin and flexible, some but not all of the after market slip on grips are on the thick side i can see how the might cause an issue. hope this helps.

Redhat
03-31-10, 18:57
Thanks,

I already received / installed the Decal Grip tape on it. Now I just have to get out to the range.

Pale Rider
03-31-10, 21:55
Did you get the sand or the rubber? And what do you think of it? I just took a Hogue off my Glock and may try some of this.

QuietShootr
03-31-10, 22:02
Anyone had a beavertail added to their Glock? That's one of the things I truly love my M&Ps for is the lack of railroad tracks on my hand. Years of shooting 1911s have accustomed me to a very high grip, so high that I get burn marks on my hand from the slide of a Glock. If I could just get a small beavertail on a G19 that was solid and didn't look like shit I'd be one happy camper.

BLACK LION
04-01-10, 17:03
I am not too satisfied with the "grippiness" of my stock G19. I've seen various stick on types and the rubber piece that slides over the grip (which I will not use).

Thanks.

I have used Brooks "A-grip" which is outstanding but begins to peel after repetetive use like drawing and reholstering etc.
I have used the "decal grip" which is also great but eventually suffers the same peeling and grime attraction as other stick on mediums.
I have tried "grip tape" and although it is tacky enough to last, it attracts grime and wears fabric as well as wears down the skin on the hands and fingers.
All of the above are really great but I have since dropped them all and went with a mor permanent application which I do not recommend for anything other than permanent tools(tools you plan to use and dont care about resale value).

5.00 wal mart soldering iron(found in electrical aisle in auto section) + steady hand + 4 hours = permanent porous surface that has all the properties of the above methods but none of the deficiencies. It does not rub skin off nor does it faild to adhere when wet, bloody or slick in anyway. The tighter you grip the more dig you get.

Just my experience....YMMV.

BLACK LION
04-01-10, 17:05
Anyone had a beavertail added to their Glock? That's one of the things I truly love my M&Ps for is the lack of railroad tracks on my hand. Years of shooting 1911s have accustomed me to a very high grip, so high that I get burn marks on my hand from the slide of a Glock. If I could just get a small beavertail on a G19 that was solid and didn't look like shit I'd be one happy camper.

+ 10

Redhat
04-01-10, 19:16
Did you get the sand or the rubber? And what do you think of it? I just took a Hogue off my Glock and may try some of this.

I got the sand paper. They feel good but as I said, that doesn't mean much until I try it at the range.

jmoore
04-01-10, 20:12
try the RTF. I have it on my 17, and it is FANTASTIC. I wish Smith had the same for M&Ps. FWIW - you will get wildly varying opinions on this. However - it sounds like you want some grip - and the RTF has it:) Rumor has it that the RTF on the "new" pistols is not very aggressive, as it is on my gen 3 variant.

CoryCop25
04-01-10, 20:20
I started out with the decal grip, then moved to the skater tape but what I use now is a piece of 60 grit adhesive sandpaper that you use on steps. One piece can do like 4 guns. Not exactly the most comfortable in concealed carry but the effectiveness well outweighs the discomfort.

Jim D
04-01-10, 21:05
I used the sandpaper DecalGrip for a while, then it started to peel away. I bought a soldering iron instead of more grip tape, and I'm glad I did.

http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww204/synergy303/ftt%20personal/glockstippling.jpg

Don Glock
04-01-10, 21:38
i used decal grip, which worked good. then i bought a glock 19 RTF2, which has a texture that works much better:

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/champop1911/Pic4145020.jpg

uwe1
04-09-10, 22:25
i have put over the mag release to show people it WILL NOT stop the mag. release from working properly. remember the inner tube is pretty thin and flexible, some but not all of the after market slip on grips are on the thick side i can see how the might cause an issue. hope this helps.

How would you compare the advantages/disadvantages of the inner tube versus the Hogue Grip? I have the Hogue grip on my G17 and it seems to fit great, but on a G19, the angle of fit seems all wrong. I am very interested in the inner tube. Is there any particular size of inner tube to get for Glocks?

I prefer a rubbery grip texture and too many callouses on my hands would make me less effective at my job.

BTW, I slightly modified the grip angle of the G17 by sanding most (2/3) of the texture off the lower portion of the backstrap before putting on the Hogue grip. I didn't want to modify the G19 before I shot it.

tradja
04-10-10, 00:58
I ran a Hogue grip on my G26 for years. I even shot a 4-day class with it, but I suspect that the class cured the problem that I was attempting to cure with the Hogue. ;)

Anyway, mine would start with the sweaty stink after a few weeks. It would also shift near (but not onto) the mag release during normal daily carry. I finally got rid of it just a few weeks ago, and the G26 shoots fine and carries better without it.

ETA: If anyone wants to experiment with the Hogue Handall slip-on grip for free (trimmed to fit a G26/G27 subcompact), shoot me a PM. Shipping's on me. Grip has been carefully washed and is currently neither sweaty nor stinky. :p

uwe1
04-10-10, 15:51
I ran the hogue grip during a 2 day pistol 2 class with no problems. I don't have sweaty hands to require modifying the grip, but prefer the texture of the rubber to the jagged edges of the gen3 glocks especially at the finger grooves. On the G19, the hogue finger grooves seem to fit a fraction higher than on the G17, causing my middle finger to rub against the trigger guard, so I was looking for an alternative.

I ran a Hogue grip on my G26 for years. I even shot a 4-day class with it, but I suspect that the class cured the problem that I was attempting to cure with the Hogue. ;)

Anyway, mine would start with the sweaty stink after a few weeks. It would also shift near (but not onto) the mag release during normal daily carry. I finally got rid of it just a few weeks ago, and the G26 shoots fine and carries better without it.

C-Fish
04-10-10, 18:02
Bike tube works best for me...

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g296/mseiferth/Guns/DSC_0252.jpg

tradja
04-10-10, 18:40
I ran the hogue grip during a 2 day pistol 2 class with no problems. I don't have sweaty hands to require modifying the grip, but prefer the texture of the rubber to the jagged edges of the gen3 glocks especially at the finger grooves. On the G19, the hogue finger grooves seem to fit a fraction higher than on the G17, causing my middle finger to rub against the trigger guard, so I was looking for an alternative.
I don't find my G19 or G26 to be uncomfortably rough without the sleeve. If I did, I'd probably hit it gently with some 2000 grit wet/dry paper.

To clarify, my Hogue (and IWB kydex, for that matter) get stinky in the summer from IWB carry, not from my hands.

Your point on volume and spacing is a good one -- the G26 fits my wife's hands much better now that the Hogue is gone. She still shoots straight anyway, but it is more comfortable and less fatiguing for her with a slimmer grip.

uwe1
04-10-10, 19:28
That looks like it'll work great!

Is there any particular size of tube that works best? Do you have to reapply it often?

Bike tube works best for me...

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g296/mseiferth/Guns/DSC_0252.jpg

mpom
04-10-10, 19:44
To the poster; robar added a beavertail to my g19 and g27 that look like factory original, and work well.

skyugo
04-10-10, 19:46
i use two hands :confused:

Detmongo
04-10-10, 19:51
uwe1
i tend to use the inner that would come out of a ten speed bike tire. they are rather thin say about an inch or so. it will take alittle work to get it on. on the g.19 you can cut it to fit.

Dragon Slayer
04-10-10, 20:00
I use Qwick Grip from Lone Wolf Industries it feels better to me then all the other ones.:)

uwe1
04-11-10, 00:11
Yes, a ten speed inner tube is very thin. Sounds like it will take some wrestling to get it to go on as that tight fit will probably prevent the grip from shifting. I'll keep the Hogue grip on my G17s, but try the inner tube on the 19 and 26.

uwe1
i tend to use the inner that would come out of a ten speed bike tire. they are rather thin say about an inch or so. it will take alittle work to get it on. on the g.19 you can cut it to fit.

sammage
04-12-10, 14:56
Just tried the inner tube grip this weekend, the Hogue grip was nice but added too much to the finger grooves. I used a 1 and 3/8" tube, and it took a bit of wrangling to get on, but it's not going anywhere.

BLACK LION
04-12-10, 15:14
This is not a Glock, but I plan on doing the same to my G17:
http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr26/BLACK_LION/XD45STIPPLE9.jpg

http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr26/BLACK_LION/XD45STIPPLE15.jpg

http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr26/BLACK_LION/XD45STIPPLE2.jpg

http://www.68forums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=999&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1270692991

http://www.68forums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1000&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1270692999

http://www.68forums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1001&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1270693008

http://www.68forums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1002&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1270693017

5.00 soldering iron. a steady hand and some free time is all it cost.

azidpa
04-12-10, 15:46

Thanks.

skid tape from home depot works on all my 9mm glocks.

uwe1
04-17-10, 22:12
I got the 1 and 3/8" tube from Walmart, put the Hogue over it to get an approximate size, struggled a while to get the thing on, but the final result feels great.

Just tried the inner tube grip this weekend, the Hogue grip was nice but added too much to the finger grooves. I used a 1 and 3/8" tube, and it took a bit of wrangling to get on, but it's not going anywhere.