PDA

View Full Version : "Clocking your Comp/brake" (FSC556 et al)

BufordTJustice
03-21-10, 16:57
I am happy owner of a PWS FSC556. I use it on my BCM 16" middy upper.

Here is my question: do you 'clock' your muzzle brake or compensator away from top-dead center/ 12 o'clock? I am debating to experiment with rotating my FSC556 more toward the 12:15-12:45 position to combat the up-and-right muzzle movement during firing; has anybody else done this? Did it help? Am I just trying to mask my inferior shooting ability (no sarcasm here; maybe I just need to get better)? Experienced opinions welcome.

03-21-10, 17:22
The FSC556 is supposed to be installed with the PWS logo exactly at 12 o'clock.
Before you go and adjust something, try adjusting the way you are mounting the rifle on your body. Try to control it better. I'm not a professional but that's something I would try first. Go with the easier solutions and work from there. :cool:

sewvacman
03-21-10, 17:32
I'm pretty sure the guys over at PWS are aware of the way an AR muzzle will rise and have implemented that into their design so that the logo sits on top. But it will only cost you a crush washer to find out. Post results if you do I'd be curious to see the difference.

kwrangln
03-21-10, 18:03
I touched on the subject in the following thread.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=41352

BufordTJustice
03-22-10, 16:31
Reply in my email from PWS:

"We designed the FSC556 to provide optimum compensation at the 12 o'clock position. There is no need to clock it off center as we did the work for you. :) Thank you very much and have a great time at the range."

So there you have it...no need to rotate it past TDC like a miculek brake.

P2000
03-22-10, 19:15
Is it true that right handed shooters in a standing position generally experience up and right recoil, while left handed shooters experience up and left recoil(Left or right components due to shoulder movement and body rotation)? If that is true then maybe clocking it away from 12:00 might help, like 12:30 for a right handed, and 11:30 for left handed? Brakes that I have seen don't come in a left or right handed models, so this may be a way to customize its use. Did they say if this compensator is designed for right handed shooters, because it looks symmetrical to me about the left to right axis? The reply could mean that the brake is optimized for vertical muzzle rise and compensation, without being designed to have a left or right effect.

Maybe I'm wrong, but its interesting to me...

militarymoron
03-23-10, 08:38
IIRC, the 'fins' on the FSC556 are assymetrical - one is slightly longer than the other to compensate for this.

Blowby
05-06-10, 22:37
Reply in my email from PWS:

"We designed the FSC556 to provide optimum compensation at the 12 o'clock position. There is no need to clock it off center as we did the work for you. :) Thank you very much and have a great time at the range."

So there you have it...no need to rotate it past TDC like a miculek brake.

I just purchased one tonight and pushed 100 rounds through it and did notice a lift up and to the right. Maybe a 1" to 1 1/2"'s @ 10-15 degree angle of rise. I hope clocking it (using the set of washers included in the kit) to about 10-15 before TDC will resolve this. Anyone tried this or had this problem?

tr1kstanc3
05-07-10, 13:04
I just purchased one tonight and pushed 100 rounds through it and did notice a lift up and to the right. Maybe a 1" to 1 1/2"'s @ 10-15 degree angle of rise. I hope clocking it (using the set of washers included in the kit) to about 10-15 before TDC will resolve this. Anyone tried this or had this problem?

Are you right handed? The rifle will recoil to the path of least resistance. Seems normal.

Robb Jensen
05-07-10, 13:53
On some guns of mine I do clock their brakes/comp a few degrees. I shoot it with it perfectly centered and then try it.

Blowby
05-07-10, 14:42
Are you right handed? The rifle will recoil to the path of least resistance. Seems normal.

Yes Sir I am right handed. After watching the videos I still didn't see the lift I was getting. I did clock it so it's about 10 degrees before I hit 12 o'clock.

Looking from the BUIS to the target I have the PWS556 locked tight at the 80 deg mark. (thanks for someone posting this wheel).
I will post any improvements I see.
http://www.cadcamsystems.com/images/600px-Degree-Radian_Conversion.svg.png

Surf
05-08-10, 16:37
Simple, try it out and see if it is better.

With certain grips, stances, weapon mounting positions or overall shooting styles many shooters can more easily limit the upward recoil or muzzle flip however since our support hand is further out on the rifle than the primary hand we tend to have less management over recoil in the direction that has the least path of resistance (as mentioned above). So right handers will tend to have a recoil bounce to the right and lefties will tend to have a recoil bounce to the left.

For myself, due to my style, I have very little muzzle rise when I shoot. I do a pretty good job of sideways movement but as a right hander, I have a slight bounce to the right and a minimal amount of rise. Therefore on the below weapon, I timed the compensator accordingly. The compensator was intended to be timed with the holes at the 12 o'clock position and it does help greatly with muzzle rise. However since I control muzzle flip well, I decided to time the compensator at about the 2:30 position. This helps with the slight muzzle rise and the slight right side bounce. It works very well even though it wasn't intended to be mounted in that manner.

Again, it is easy enough just to try it out. If it doesn't work for your set up you haven't lost out on anything, but gained some personal knowledge as opposed to what you only read on the internet. :)

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/SSDSurf/Guns/IMG_35961.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/SSDSurf/Guns/IMG_35931.jpg

Blowby
05-09-10, 09:56
I was able to shoot it and it did help some. I tightened it another few degrees as well. I do follow the previous post where my hold plays a roll in the movement. If I fire consecutive rounds the barrel end seems to hold position pretty well but if I fire a single round I notice a flip up and to the right. Not sure if it's just me or the PWS556.

Any pointers on hand position from the pro's would be great. I will shoot it off side next time and see if it flips up to the left.