PDA

View Full Version : Just bought 1st Glock; Need Advice:

Dave L.
04-23-07, 15:01
Just picked up my first Glock, the infamous G19.
I'm sure any Glock owner can answer this question since all glocks are similar.

What mods should I make to my stock G19 to improve reliability (maybe some accuracy) and durability? Where is the best place to buy the parts? I really don't want to spend more than $150 until I have a few thousand rounds through it.
I'm a lefty so I would like the extended slide release. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Sam
04-23-07, 15:10
Spend your $150 on ammo and learn to shoot it well. When people started to hang aftermarket stuff of their glocks, that's when we see those glocks break, malfunction, etc. About the only thing you must have, is a set of good night sights (read Heinie Slant Pro Straight 8).

tiger seven
04-23-07, 15:15
I wouldn't change anything, unless of course it has the factory plastic sights on it. If so, replace them with some good metal sights. There are plenty of options in that department.

Other than that, leave it stock and just shoot the bejeezus out of it. In my opinion most modifications tend to reduce (not improve) reliability, and I think you'll find it to be pretty durable and plenty accurate in its stock form.

FWIW, I'm a lefty and I don't use the extended release. But then I slingshot the slide so I guess it's a non-issue for me.

Congrats on the purchase, and welcome to the world of Glock.

Derek

Dave L.
04-23-07, 15:20
Thanks, for the advice- the sights are the plastic ones, already planned on replacing them...any suggestions?

So I shouldn't be worried about the plastic guide rod?

tiger seven
04-23-07, 15:33
Regarding sights, I like the Heinie Straight Eights too. They're nice and simple, and reasonably priced as well.

I've never had a problem with the plastic guide rod, nor do I know anyone who has. I have no personal experience with any aftermarket guide rods, so I can't really comment on them.

Derek

striped1
04-23-07, 15:33
Heinie slant 8's for sights and the factory glock extended mag release.

A bunch of mags and some professional shooting instruction at a shooting school. OH, quality holster, belt and mag carrier. Kydex or leather, but spend the money to get quality stuff.

LOKNLOD
04-23-07, 15:47
What mods should I make to my stock G19 to improve reliability

None, it's fine.

(maybe some accuracy)

Good sights. Hienies, Warrens (I-Shot has them), even some plain 3-dot Trijicons if you'd like. Shoot it a bunch and the trigger will start to wear in and be smoother, too. Neither will make the gun more accurate but it'll help you shoot it better.

durability?

Change out the sights. The plastic ones can get damaged easily. Other than that, everything's pretty robust.

Where is the best place to buy the parts?

Lone Wolf (http://www.lonewolfdist.com/)is a good place to start.

I really don't want to spend more than $150 until I have a few thousand rounds through it.
I'm a lefty so I would like the extended slide release.

Extended release, $16, set of good sights, $100, and you'll be good to go.
The extended slide release is probably fine for a lefty, I'd avoid the extended mag catch though. It will dig into your hand between your middle and ring fingers, and potentially spit out a mag, depending on your grip and size of your mitts. I guess squeezing the grip for reloads would be quick though ;)

Oh, and skateboard tape sticks to Glock plastic well.

graffex
04-23-07, 15:51
Thanks, for the advice- the sights are the plastic ones, already planned on replacing them...any suggestions?

Go with Heinie Straight-Eights or Warren tacticals depending on what type of site you prefer.

Just buy a some extra glock plastic guide rods and put a new one in every 5,000 rounds. Aftermarket guide rods are a waste of money.

Dave L.
04-23-07, 16:08
Oh, and skateboard tape sticks to Glock plastic well.

Already done!

Jay Cunningham
04-23-07, 16:20
There is nothing that you can do to increase the reliability except to stick a plug in the grip to keep dirt out. I bought one from glockmeister and it's really good. You may eventually want to upgrade the sights, but you should mainly just shoot it a lot right now.

David Thomas
04-23-07, 18:21
There is nothing that you can do to increase the reliability except to stick a plug in the grip to keep dirt out. I bought one from glockmeister and it's really good. You may eventually want to upgrade the sights, but you should mainly just shoot it a lot right now.

I agree on mainly needing to just shoot it now with no modifications, not even sights. At least not yet. You may discover you like the stock sights. I do. The money that you would spend on sights would be better spent on extra magazines or ammo.

Resq47
04-23-07, 18:45
Sights and ammo. Better early than after you've scraped off the front doing single hand drills.

Low Drag
04-23-07, 22:05
Already done!

After you shoot the hell out of it try going to a GSSF match. They'll give it a once over by an armor if you ask. Many will replace all the springs for free or a few bucks.

The only thing a Glock needs to have replaced is the plastic sights. Get a good holster, extra mags and mag pouches - ammo of course and have fun getting good with it.

GastonG-NoVa
04-23-07, 22:20
Congrats on the purchase.

Get some kind of metal sights on it.

Get lots of ammo and mags......one is expensive the other is not if you look around.

Get a decent holster and gunbelt.

Look into getting some training with it.

Shoot the ever-loving piss out of it.

You will never be the SAME!!!

Enjoy!!!!!

merc859
04-23-07, 22:30
I would also recommend a Ghost 3.5 lb connector and a .25 cent trigger job.

combatvet
04-23-07, 23:52
First off, stock up on factory hicaps. Then buy about 500-1000 rounds of ammo. After that pick up some spare parts. Springs, connectors, recoil assy, etc....

Bypass the .25 trigger job as I've seen to many people bend the connector and disable their gun. I personally like the OEM 3.5lb connector and the Olive NY 8lb trigger.

I prefer Meprolights, orange rear - green front.

So in summary:

Mags
Ammo
Mepro's
springs, pins, connector's, recoil assembly.

Oh and a Comp-tac C.T.A.C or Infidel.

http://lonewolfdist.com/
http://www.glock-doc.com/
http://comp-tac.com/

rob_s
04-24-07, 06:04
Things I always changed on every stock Glock I ever bought:

1) Change out the trigger to the G17 trigger. The compact guns have a "grooved" trigger face that I never liked, and the smooth face of the G17 trigger agreed with me better and didn't wear as much on my trigger finger after long hours of shooting. I have sissy office hands.:D

2) Change out the slide stop to the factory G34 slide stop. Unlike some, I choose to drop the slide with the slide stop lever as opposed to slingshotting the slide when performing a speed reload. The stock piece on the G19 is not intended for this purpose and the gun is designed to be run with the slingshot method.

3) Change out the sights. When I was shooting Glocks I always just went with 3-dot Meprolights, but after running different sights on my 1911s, I would now opt for a tritium front post only and either a Warren or Heinie rear with my preference being for the Heinie (having no hands-on experience with the Warren of yet).

As I'm now considering re-entering the world of Glocks, I think I will also opt for a replacement barrel so that I can shoot lead reloads. I prefer a semi-wadcutter or truncated cone lead round for a variety of reasons, and lead through the polygonal (sp?) rifling of the stock barrel is a no-no.

Items 1-3 can be done for under $100, and the re-barreling can be left for much later if you decide that ammo choice is a factor for you.

In terms of improving reliability, do nothing. In fact, items 1 & 2, as well as the barrel swap, could actually serve to reduce the reliability of the firearm if done incorrectly or with sub-standard parts.

mark5pt56
04-24-07, 06:18
As mentioned--leave it alone other than the sights. You don't want the mag releases, etc, etc.

Buy a few small parts to have-in case. The only things I ever broke were a trigger spring and a locking block pin(and yes it was installed correctly)

That's between 2 Glocks with 40k

John_Wayne777
04-24-07, 07:31
What mods should I make to my stock G19 to improve reliability (maybe some accuracy) and durability?

I wouldn't monkey with the weapon until you have at least 1,000 rounds through it.

Typically the Glocks don't need anything to make them run reliably out of the box. They tend to do that pretty well on their own. Fire at least 1,000 rounds through the weapon (with some of your preferred carry ammo in that number) and make sure the weapon functions properly.

If the weapon has some sort of factory QC issue, it will show up in the first 1,000 rounds usually.

If it goes through that 1,000 rounds without problem, you really don't need to do anything to make the weapon more reliable or durable. You should be set on those fronts.

As to accuracy, the only thing I would recommend are new sights. Stock Glock sights suck hosewater in my opinion. I changed mine out to Heinie sights and I am much happier with them. You don't really need any other accuracy mods.

Trigger work can be done on the Glock by several decent smiths, but most people do just fine with the Glock not having any trigger work.

A special note about the G19......In my experience the Glock 19 is extremely susceptible to limpwristing when using the relatively weak FMJ practice ammo.

John_Wayne777
04-24-07, 07:33

I love my Heinie sights.

I prefer them to Novaks.

Nope. I have seen G17s and G19s with tens of thousands of rounds through them that have the original guide rod and spring and that run just fine.

Don't worry about it.

Just buy a new factory recoil assembly at the recommended intervals (I believe it is something like 6,000 rounds....not sure about that...) and be done with it.

Dave L.
04-24-07, 10:51
Thanks for all the great advice.

I am a little confused about sight heights for the G19- I noticed everyone has different sight heights based on point of impact. Any suggestions on sight heights?

John_Wayne777
04-25-07, 10:25
Thanks for all the great advice.

I am a little confused about sight heights for the G19- I noticed everyone has different sight heights based on point of impact. Any suggestions on sight heights?

I just used the standard height sight combo that comes with the .216 front sight from Brownell's and it works fine on my Glock. (Brownell's part number 394-100-320)

Kilroy
04-28-07, 23:11
I have the 3.5 lb connector with a Black NY spring. It smooths out into the nicest pull you could imagine. Next best is the OD green NY1.

Then, take some quality training by someone who really knows how to run a Glock. You'll be glad you did.

Hawgleg44
05-03-07, 22:45
In order to shoot the amount of ammo I do every year, I need to reload and cast my own bullets. So, other than a Lone Wolf aftermarket barrel, I do absolutely nothing to my Glocks.

I don't like texture tape, the Hogue Handall slip on grips, etc. Actually, I even prefer the texture of my 1st Gen G17 to my 2nd Gens.

A friend of mine bought a metal guide rod for his G19. After using it for a while, the gap between the frame and slide started to grow. It was putting too much pressure on the wrong places, I guess. Leave it alone.

For reliability, you are better off forgetting that you have a slide release and just pull back the slide and let it go. You get a little extra power which will prevent any possible misfeeds during a reload.

I had Trijicons on one of the Glocks I bought used and hated them. I prefer the factory dot and "U" sights, so I swapped them out. I've carried and shot the hell out of Glocks for years, and I've never damaged a sight before. But, if you find you like the original plastic sight picture and are that worried about them, Glock makes the exact same sight in metal now. I just saw them advertised.

Even though I hate night sights (since they really don't give a good sight picture during the day, IMO, and I find them slower to acquire) I've been considering Tru-Glo's TFO Tritium Fiber Optic sights. You have the tritium for night use, but you also have the fiber optic for daytime use. It seems like the best of both worlds. I use fiber optic sights on some of my shotguns and like them very much. I'm going to try a set on one of my G17's.

rob_s
05-04-07, 03:56
I don't like texture tape, the Hogue Handall slip on grips, etc. Actually, I even prefer the texture of my 1st Gen G17 to my 2nd Gens.

Just FYI, they're actually up to the 3rd gen now. The current models with light rail and finger grooves are generally referred to as the 3rd, the previous models with no rails or grooves but the captured guide rod are second, and the very first models are (obviously) first.

This appears to be a first gen
http://www.notpurfect.com/main/glock17.jpg

Hawgleg44
05-04-07, 09:12
Just FYI, they're actually up to the 3rd gen now. The current models with light rail and finger grooves are generally referred to as the 3rd, the previous models with no rails or grooves but the captured guide rod are second, and the very first models are (obviously) first.

This appears to be a first gen
http://www.notpurfect.com/main/glock17.jpg

Yeah, I know. I carry a 1st Gen G17 most of the time, but I do own another 2nd Gen G17, G19 and G21. I don't own any 3rd Gen Glocks with the finger grooves and equipment rail.

I'm doing the grip reduction on my 2nd Gen G21, and I'm going to texture it with a very small ball engraving tool so it feels like my 1st Gen G17.

Here's my 1st Gen G17:
http://www.cqbarms.com/photos/albums/userpics/normal_G17_Gen_1.jpg

RWBlue
05-04-07, 13:27
Disclosure:
I do not have G19.
I have 2 Glock21s, G17, G26.

Thinking
improve reliability (maybe some accuracy)

I wouldn’t do anything to improve reliability. Glocks are inherently reliably right out of the box and will remain so until you start wearing out spings, magazine….

Accuracy is a different matter. With the exception of adding night sights with dots, any thing you do to improve accuracy has the potential of hurting reliability. (i.e. Glocks are not intended to be target pistols. You can make one into a target pistol, but it will cost you the combat ability of the gun.)

Think on sights: I like what some others have mentioned, but I will also add Ghost ring sites. For some reason, I am better with 3 dots to line up and I am a little quicker at night with ghost ring sights. (That being said, I am not that quick.)

I see where someone else mentioned that after market guide rods are useless. I wouldn’t go that far. They are useful in certain situations. They will add weight to your gun upfront. This aids in quick follow ups. Or in my case with the G21, I changed out my spring so I can shoot heavy 45Super loads, or very light 45ACP loads. If you are planning on this gun being a general use gun or CCW gun, I wouldn’t change the guide rod or spring.

As far as extended slide releases go; Glocks DO NOT have a slide release. They have a slide stop. There is a difference. Most guns have slide releases so if you are switching back and forth, you may find yourself looking for a slide release on the Glock and not being happy with the slide stop. If you are using the gun as designed, you shouldn’t need an extended slide release.

Glock plug is very interesting. I have heard the argument that the plug keeps dirt out, I have also heard the argument that it keeps dirt in. I have a plug, but I don’t use the plug.

Connector, I have a connector, I do not use an after market connector. IMHO, they are not needed on a combat ready gun. If I had a NYC G19 or a gen1 gun it would be a different story. Some of those guns had bad trigger pull and I don’t think it was just the springs.

Groovy trigger, vs. non-groovy trigger; I like both. YMMV

Barrel; although I have an after market G21 barrel, I don’t think I would recommend changing the barrel unless you plan on shooting Lead. It is hard to justify a news barrel for the cost of lead vs. platted bullets and the Glock barrel is coated with something that appears not to rust and has higher velocity. And although I haven’t seen it, some say it hurts reliability.

RWBlue
05-04-07, 13:33
A friend of mine bought a metal guide rod for his G19. After using it for a while, the gap between the frame and slide started to grow. It was putting too much pressure on the wrong places, I guess. :eek:

That shouldn't be the guide rod. It is either an optical illusion, or there is something seriously wrong with that gun.

I know there was a recall on some Glock frames. I would check to see if this frame needs to go back to the factory.

Hawgleg44
05-04-07, 13:59
:eek:

That shouldn't be the guide rod. It is either an optical illusion, or there is something seriously wrong with that gun.

I know there was a recall on some Glock frames. I would check to see if this frame needs to go back to the factory.

Funny, that's what I said. First, I showed it to the Glock salesman when we did a trial for the PD, and he said it's fine, even though pieces of plastic in front of the left rear frame rail broke off (he claimed that all polymer pistols shed plastic :rolleyes: ). We weren't satisfied with that answer, so we sent it back to Glock. It came back saying it is "within spec", but they did replace all the springs. And, their cure for the jagged, broken piece of plastic was to very roughly cut it off with a utility knife and send it back, after they got a little carried away and gouged the side of the grip when the blade slipped, too.

The only two companies I've used that have outstanding customer service is S&W and Ruger. I've been very disappointed in Sig, Kahr, especially Taurus, and Glock didn't impress me with my friend's G19, either.

Zip06
05-04-07, 14:48
Lots of good suggestions. I'd get some hi-cap mags, upgrade the sights and join GSSF. If you go to their matches an armorer will inspect your pistol and replace any worn parts for free.

05-09-07, 01:17
I'm a lefty so I would like the extended slide release.

My experience leads me to believe that a Glock is very reliable from the factory without a bunch of modifications to it. I replace the magazine release with the longer one and plug the hole in the grip, other than the sights, that's it.

As for the slide release, keep your hands off of it no matter what hand you use. Using the slide release will increase your chances of a misfeed.

05-09-07, 09:23
Even though I hate night sights (since they really don't give a good sight picture during the day, IMO, and I find them slower to acquire) I've been considering Tru-Glo's TFO Tritium Fiber Optic sights. You have the tritium for night use, but you also have the fiber optic for daytime use. It seems like the best of both worlds. I use fiber optic sights on some of my shotguns and like them very much. I'm going to try a set on one of my G17's.

IMO, if you hate night sights, you'll hate the Tru-Glo's TFO Tritium Fiber Optic sights as well. All my Glocks have night sights except the one with Tru-Glo's TFO Tritium Fiber Optic sights and the sight picture isn't much of an improvement in day light.

Tommy Vercetti
05-09-07, 11:14
Only did two things to my newest OD G17. Installed maritime spring cups, and replaced the sights with Warren Tactical's Sevigny carry rear/tritium front set up.:)

Linea_de_Fuego
05-09-07, 23:29
and lead through the polygonal (sp?) rifling of the stock barrel is a no-no.

Rob or others, can you elaborate about this. I had never heard that one should not shoot lead through these barrels.

My reloads are the masterblaster bullets with the polymer coating.

200 gr .45 BTW

rob_s
05-10-07, 04:42
Rob or others, can you elaborate about this. I had never heard that one should not shoot lead through these barrels.

My reloads are the masterblaster bullets with the polymer coating.

200 gr .45 BTW

It used to be in the manual, but for the life of me I can't find it in the manual I have in my desk here.

My understanding was always that there were "sharp" edges of the polyganol rifling and they would collect excess lead. The information here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygonal_rifling) seems to possibly refute that.

Robb Jensen
05-10-07, 04:56
Depending on other factors lead also builds up at the front of the chamber. This can cause one of two things.

1. the pistol may to fail to go completely into battery
2. pistol may Kb (blow up) since Glocks can fire slightly out of battery

LEAD in Glocks (with factory barrels) bad juju!

Linea_de_Fuego
05-10-07, 06:43
LEAD in Glocks (with factory barrels) bad juju!

Thanks for the info.

This pistol probably doesn't have more than 200 rounds of lead through it.
I will check the barrel. So the polymer coating would not prevent lead buildup in the chamber?

rob_s
05-10-07, 07:36
I will check the barrel. So the polymer coating would not prevent lead buildup in the chamber?

What is a "polymer coating" and where is it applied?

Linea_de_Fuego
05-10-07, 09:08
This is what they say in their FAQ.

Q: What is a Polymer coated bullet, and how is it different from a regular Bullet?

A: Our bullets are traditional hard cast lead bullets. We use a premium foundry lead allow and cast to 22 BHN, then apply our polymer coating. This high tech coating gives our bullets a chemical jacket that completely encapsulates the bullets. Our jacket works much like a copper jacket in that it prevents leading and smoke. And because it has lubrication properties, it yields higher velocities and decreases barrel wear.

rob_s
05-10-07, 09:08
Personally, I wouldn't buy into all that crap. I'd just buy an aftermarket barrel if shooting reloads is what you want to do.

Hawgleg44
05-10-07, 10:05
Although I've fired tens of thousands of rounds of cast bullets out of 9mm Glocks without any problems, .40's and .45acp Glocks are at a much higher risk of KB-ing with any reloads, not just cast bullets.

The polygonal rifling of a Glock does not have the sharp edges of conventional cut rifling. They are very rounded, which do not grab the cast bullets as well as they do with jacketed bullets. With some cast bullets, this will result in the bullet stripping down the barrel and leaving and excessive amount of lead, which will raise chamber pressures, possibly causing a KB.

I cast my own bullets out of wheelweight allow, which is softer than hard cast commercial bullets. This allows them to deform upon detonation, which expands them, causing a good gas seal, and they are grabbed by the rifling. I shoot anywhere from 200-400 rounds per range session, and one pass with the bore snake and all the fouling is gone. No leading at all.

But, that's just one of the two issues with Glock barrels and reloads. Even if you reload jacketed bullets, you are still at risk for a KB due to the lack of chamber support. Although most barrels leave a small amount of brass exposed at the feed ramp, Glock leaves much more exposed. If you cut a piece of brass in half, you would see that where most barrels are unsupported, the brass is anywhere from 2-5x the wall thickness. The Glock is so unsupported, it extends into the thin part of the wall. After brass has been reloaded several times and "worked", it becomes weakened and can fail when fired.

A $90 Lone Wolf barrel is cheap insurance that you don't KB a Glock. The first thing Glock does when a KB'd pistol is returned to them is to send the barrel to the lab to look for any traces of lead. If even a slight amount is found in the pores of the metal in the barrel, their warranty is void.

Linea_de_Fuego
05-10-07, 15:15
Hawgleg44 Offline

Thanks for the information. It is because of posts like yours and all the others who speak from their experience that makes this such a great forum.