PDA

View Full Version : M&P 45 pics

Sam
04-23-07, 15:12
Here are a couple of pictures of merc859's brand new M&P 45 that I'm posting for him.

]http://www.hunt101.com/img/490270.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/img/490271.JPG

I thought that I should start a new thread so that the pictures wouldn't get buried in an older thread.

M4arc
04-23-07, 16:19
Oh man, that is nice!

ETA: I can't stop looking at the pictures. I have to go down to our main office on Wednesday to give a presentation so I might swing over to Bob's Gun Shop and see if they have one in stock :D

C4IGrant
04-23-07, 19:49
Looks very good! Can't wait for mine to come in.

C4

Sam
04-24-07, 05:37
http://www.hunt101.com/img/464765.jpg

Here is a picture of one without the thumb safety. I took this at the SHOT show.

John_Wayne777
04-24-07, 07:39
I didn't even know they were out yet....and guys are buying them already?

Not fair.

nickdrak
04-24-07, 13:24
Can you remove one side of the manual thumb safety so it is not ambi???

Matt Edwards
04-24-07, 14:51
Is there a possibility one of you guys can take pictures of size/hight/width comparisons to the standard M&P? Just curious.
Matt

merc859
04-24-07, 18:51
nickdrak, no you can't make the thumb safety single sided. It is just a piece of flat metal that loops around the sear housing. You can however run it without it if you have a thumb safety version.

Matt, I'll try to take some pics and email them to you. I assume by standard you mean a full size 9mm or .40?

Matt Edwards
04-24-07, 19:32
Yes, 9mm/ .40. Thanks dude.
Matt

Bulldog1967
04-24-07, 19:56
I need one of these to keep my 9mm M&P company.

trio
04-25-07, 01:24
i will post my brief range report here if its ok....if not I can start a new thread....

I also bought an MP 45 and took it out for its first run tonight...

First impressions:

It is as well put together as the others

Its BIG...its as big as my Glock 20....

The small backstrap makes the grip about the same size as the MP9 with the medium grip...

I like the safety...

Shooting:

The trigger on mine is definitely a stronger pull than on my MP9....I havent had my MP9 worked on at all, but I would say my 9 breaks around 4.5 pounds...this one is probably 2 pounds more than that....

There is less play on the 45 trigger and movement before breaking, but, as I said, it is a lot stiffer....honestly I think I am going to have gotm4 over at VA Arms play with the trigger some....

I did put the small backstrap on, but I regret that from shooting...I felt like my hand wrapped too far around the gun when i was firing it, and I had a hard time getting a comfortable grip....i noticed an improvement when i "rode" the safety like I do with a 1911...when i cleaned the gun when I got home I replaced it with the medium backstrap...(i am going to try and shoot again tomorrow night, and will let you know if this helped)

I am really spoiled with "tactical" style sights...my MP45 has the night sights on it...almost all my other handguns now have all black rear sights with night front sights....i found the white dots on the rear to be very busy while shooting...especially after the front sight got dirty...again though, part of this is I am used to the all black rear sights....

Overall i was shooting nice tight groups with it....i had to concentrate on my grip to ensure i wasnt pushing the pistol left though....I think adjusting the backstrap and practice will help with this, as well as trigger work...

All in all I put 100 rounds of WWB through it (which seemed REALLY dirty tonight for some reason....) and 30 rounds of gold dot....all flawless

Overall, i am very happy....it has not replaced my Les Baer Stinger as my carry gun yet though....

John_Wayne777
04-25-07, 07:28
Trio --

A black Sharpie will take care of those pesky rear dots for you.....;)

My M&P 9mm is with Dan Burwell right now getting a trigger job. If he can do as good a job with the trigger on my M&P as I have heard, then I will be obtaining an M&P in .45 and I'll be sending it to him immediately.

The M&P's sole liability in my opinion is the way the trigger breaks...it tends to disrupt the sights at the worst possible moment. It's not as bad as on many of the Glocks, but it's still a concern for me.

If Dan can solve that little issue then I'll finally be able to have a relatively inexpensive polymer pistol that is as easy to shoot well as my Les Baer 1911.

trio
04-25-07, 10:12
the sharpie occurred to me....just dont know how well it will black out the tritium vials....

what id really like to do is black out the white outlines, and keep the tritium inserts visible for lowlight sight acquisition...

I should be able to make it back to the range late tonight...

John_Wayne777
04-25-07, 10:16
the sharpie occurred to me....just dont know how well it will black out the tritium vials....

what id really like to do is black out the white outlines, and keep the tritium inserts visible for lowlight sight acquisition...

An "ultra fine" tipped sharpie should work like a charm.

I have done that very thing with one before.

rayray
04-25-07, 19:29
Nice Pistol, Cant wait to purchase one:)

Robb Jensen
04-25-07, 21:15

I should be able to make it back to the range late tonight...

You could just replace the rear sight with a Warren (it would probably be the wrong height) and may require shortening the front sight.

I pretty sure I can get the trigger down to a comfortable 4lbs for you and make it more crisp and a lot shorter reset. My M&P9 that I shoot in IDPA/USPSA is now about 2.75-3lbs.

trio
04-26-07, 12:23
gotm4....i am going to let you do exactly that...i will probably bring it by the store sometime in the next couple of days....

FYI to everyone...Bud's Gun Shop has the non-safety all black ones, with standard sights, in stock for $499...

Obiwan
04-27-07, 15:43
Bud's still had some when I called them this afternoon

One less after I hung up :D

TOrrock
04-27-07, 16:22
I fondled a couple at a shop yesterday.

The model with the thumb safety holds absolutely zero interest for me, but I could be persuaded to get one of the standard models with night sights and no mag safety.

The trigger is a little harder than the 9/40 models, almost like a Glock NY trigger.

RAM Engineer
04-27-07, 18:57
I bought mine WITHOUT manual safety today.

Mjolnir
04-27-07, 23:11
Picked up one Thursday with night sights & external safety. It feels fine and shots very well; very precise. The safety detents could be more positive - more 1911-like, that is; but they are well placed and gives me an option as I carry a lightly customized TRP daily. The trigger pull was initially very heavy. I didn't measure it, but it seemed to be eight pounds. After firing 150 rounds thru it and dry-firing maybe 500 times it's much better. The trigger reset is fine and won't require adjusting - partly due to the position of the trigger within the trigger guard relative to the stock when one depresses the trigger to get 'on the sear'. There is also much less perceived overtravel as well.

I shoot 1911s so .45 ACP with a polymer pistol will be perceived as relatively 'sharp' in direct comparison and the M&P's recoil is indeed a bit sharper than my Springfield TRP, but it's much more controllable than, say, a Glock 21 or USP. I've not shot an XD45 so I cannot comment, but looking at the high bore axis that pistol has to be similar to the USP.

Shooting a few fast pairs and fast strings of three at seven yards yields 2.5 inch groups with splits of ~0.3 seconds. Yes, I could go faster but there too many people in the range to explore further.

Size. The pistol is larger than one might expect compared to the 9 and .40 versions. You'll have to do the comparison personally. Whereas I use the medium with some grip tape on the 9 mm version I have to use the small with grip tape (both on the lhs of the grip) on the .45 version.

The gun points well - just like the 9 and .40 versions.

If anyone is interested in a very lightly used USP45 Tactical contact me.

graffex
04-28-07, 12:00
Whats the going rate for a new M&P 45? I've yet to hit the local funshop but I'm sure it's around 750.

RAM Engineer
04-28-07, 12:42
Whats the going rate for a new M&P 45? I've yet to hit the local funshop but I'm sure it's around 750.

Mine was $584 out the door. Of course mine was probably the cheapest variant made: No manual safety, no night sights, 2 mags. Just what I wanted!

Obiwan
04-28-07, 15:52
I have one inblund from Budsgunshop.com for $500 plus shipping

By the time I pay the transfer $$ it will be close to ram's price

nickdrak
04-28-07, 15:53

I couldnt wait so I picked one up off of GunBroker. Black with thumb safety/Night Sights/NO mag safety for $549.00. There is one identical on GB now for $549 also if anyone is interested:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=70987077.

I decided to go with the thumb safety version as my thumb interferes with the newer style extended slide stop levers on the M&P's to the point where it rides the slide stop lever, causing the slide to not lock open on an empty mag. I think riding the thumb safety on the M&P45 like a 1911 will be the cure for my issue.

As soon as mine shows up, I am going to do the same trigger job on it that I did on my M&P40, and polish the feedramp.

nickdrak
04-28-07, 16:06
You could just replace the rear sight with a Warren (it would probably be the wrong height) and may require shortening the front sight.

gotm4,

Do you have any idea if the 10-8 rear M&P sight is the proper height for the M&P45? I have one waiting to replace the Novak rear as soon as my 45 shows up.

Joe R.
04-28-07, 20:18
gotm4,

Do you have any idea if the 10-8 rear M&P sight is the proper height for the M&P45? I have one waiting to replace the Novak rear as soon as my 45 shows up.

The 10-8 Rear sight is the proper height for the M&P 45.

PjMsgt
04-28-07, 20:28
Picked up my M&P .45 on Friday. It is the all black model with the thumb safety, no night sights, and 2 mags. My initial impression was that it appeared to be larger than the 9/40 models both in the grip and the length of the slide. I placed it next to my Glock 21 and they are both about the same size in length and height. Width goes to the M&P.

The pistol balances very well in the hand and did not display any unrully or uncontrollable tendencies firing for accuracy and hammering fast controlled pairs. Recoil impulse and muzzle rise felt similar to firing an all steel combat commander 1911 with 230gr ball ammo. Although the muzzle rise was snappy the front sight was consistent and tracked back on target very quickly. The push to the inside of my palm was like that of a full sized 1911. It was rather soft for a polymer pistol. Compared to my Glock 21 I felt more control and feedback with the M&P but preferred the tactile and audible click of the Glock's trigger reset to that on the M&P. My sample had a very hard trigger compared to my Glock 21 and my 1911. It did disrupt my sight picture slightly but not enough to prevent good combat shot placement.

I will be sending her off for a trigger job and the installation of a 10-8 rear sight a Novak front night sight.

Mjolnir
04-28-07, 22:42
It's interesting to hear/read other's subjective feedback... especially when it appears to be somewhat consistent with my own.

The 10-8 rear sight fits all M&Ps.

I paid $529 for external safeties, night sight, no mag disconnector.

P.S.

The Blackhawk Serpa made for the Glock 21 also fits the M&P45 and actually says that on some of the packages.

The trigger will smooth/lighten a bit. I use Militec on all of the parts and follow their directions. It really seems to work. However, trigger job will be performed tomorrow.

Resq47
04-28-07, 23:37
I couldnt wait so I picked one up off of GunBroker. Black with thumb safety/Night Sights/NO mag safety for $549.00. There is one identical on GB now for $549 also if anyone is interested:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=70987077.

I decided to go with the thumb safety version as my thumb interferes with the newer style extended slide stop levers on the M&P's to the point where it rides the slide stop lever, causing the slide to not lock open on an empty mag. I think riding the thumb safety on the M&P45 like a 1911 will be the cure for my issue.

As soon as mine shows up, I am going to do the same trigger job on it that I did on my M&P40, and polish the feedramp.

Funny, looks like LAV bought that one ;) How many other guys would also pick up some old German rifle parts (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=67682336) :eek:

nickdrak
04-29-07, 01:46
Funny, looks like LAV bought that one ;) How many other guys would also pick up some old German rifle parts (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=67682336) :eek:

Yeah I noticed that too! Along with the $15000.00 Galil sniper rifle:eek:

Resq47
04-29-07, 03:21

Answers the question of what to get for the guy who has one of (almost) everything :D

Sam
04-29-07, 07:42

That's pretty cool. Looking forward to hear his report on the M&P45.

Razoreye
04-29-07, 15:12

:eek:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=69075468

Nice looking Galil. Dude most make bank. :D

Navy87Guy
05-01-07, 20:34
So has anyone tried the M&P .45 with a holster for the M&P 9mm? Same form - or do you need a whole new set up?

I was holding out for the Beretta PX4 in .45 that's due out this summer...but Beretta has been pretty bad about meeting projected delivery dates. I may have to consider the M&P....

Jim

Robb Jensen
05-01-07, 21:19
So has anyone tried the M&P .45 with a holster for the M&P 9mm? Same form - or do you need a whole new set up?

I was holding out for the Beretta PX4 in .45 that's due out this summer...but Beretta has been pretty bad about meeting projected delivery dates. I may have to consider the M&P....

Jim

Ghost of Christmas future voice Brother Jim, get the M&P45, you won't be disappointed. Then send it too Dan Burwell for awesome trigger work![/ghost]

davemcdonald
05-01-07, 22:24
Have the FDE M&P45 started showing up yet?

DrMark
05-01-07, 22:56
I handled one of these today. Definately felt longer front to back in the grip that the 9/40, but still felt pretty good to me.

I can't stop looking at the pictures. I have to go down to our main office on Wednesday to give a presentation so I might swing over to Bob's Gun Shop and see if they have one in stock :D

The one I handled (no thumb safety) was at The Armory. You know, in Virginia Beach. :)

MAP
05-02-07, 08:18
Have the FDE M&P45 started showing up yet?

Not yet. I waiting on one for T&E. It "may" be here next week.

I was told of one LE agency that has a sample w/ 4K rounds through it w/out cleaning and no malfunctions.

Mike

Navy87Guy
05-02-07, 19:47
Ghost of Christmas future voice Brother Jim, get the M&P45, you won't be disappointed. Then send it too Dan Burwell for awesome trigger work!

Why am I not surprised to get that advice! :p

Nobody's tried the holsters yet? If I get the .45 and end up with a 9mm as well, it would be nice to be able to use the same gear!

Jim

Mjolnir
05-02-07, 20:36
I have found that the Blackhawk Serpa for the Glock 21 will also work just fine. Blade-Tech hasn't molded anything yet. I'm sure Safariland will be quick about things, too.

Joe R.
05-02-07, 20:37
navy, I don't think the same holster will work for the M&P 9/40 and M&P 45. The 45 has a longer slide and larger grip (nothing to do with holster fit I know but goes to dimensional differences). I believe the slide is slightly wider on the 45 as well. I haven't handled one since the SHOT show so my recollection my be off on slide width.

Edited to add; D'oh...never mind apparently Mjolnir has some first hand knowledge. Thanks Mjolnir.

Razoreye
05-02-07, 23:10
I want one of these but I'll probably get one after I get the HK45.

nickdrak
05-03-07, 01:38
Picked mine up today....:D

http://i13.tinypic.com/4qxyo1h.jpg

I really like the safety on it. I wish my 40 had one! Not because of any "safety" concern really, but it is in the perfect position (for me) to ride the safety while shooting. This should eliminate the issue I have had with my M&P40 of riding the slide stop lever, causing the slide to not lock back on an empty mag. The safety on mine is not "mushy" at all. It has very positive audible "clicks" when manipulating it.

Out of the box, the trigger was as mushy and gritty as my M&P40 was, so I performed the same trigger job on the 45. It completely smoothed it out, and lightened it up a bit as well. The reset is not as positive on the 45 as on my 40, but I may work on it a little more to see if I can get it similar to my 40. The reset does seem shorter on the 45 than on my 40.

The grip is very nice as well. I use the Medium backstrap on my 40, and the M&P45 feels best with the Medium installed as well. The length of the grip, front to rear, is slightly longer on the 45, but not bad at all. Still very comfortable.

I also changed out the rear factory night sight to the 10-8 rear like on my M&P40. I prefer it over the factory Novak rear for a few reasons. It helps me focus more on the front sight as there are no dots on the rear. My favorite sight configuration is the "straight-eight" from Heinie which should also be available soon for the M&P's. I like the profile of the 10-8 as well, as it allows one handed malfunction clearances and reloads to be performed easier, as I can snag the rear sight on my duty gear or belt, etc. due to the 10-8 sights blockier profile. The serrations on the 10-8 also cut down on glare.

Overall, the ergonomics and controls on the M&P45 are a perfect match for me. I really like the feel of this pistol. I think that S&W did the right thing by compromising on the overall size of the pistol with the capacity of the mags. Im getting tired of guys saying "Well my Glock 21 holds 13 rounds, so I like it more n' stuff". Well, your G21 also has the ergos of a 2x4 and at least to me, the G21 feels much larger overall. The new G21SF may be a slightly different story though.

I hope to have a range report up by next week.

M4arc
05-03-07, 11:55
I handled one of these today. Definately felt longer front to back in the grip that the 9/40, but still felt pretty good to me.

The one I handled (no thumb safety) was at The Armory. You know, in Virginia Beach. :)

I just got back from The Armory and handled the M&P45. I am EXTREMELY IMPRESSED and have put it on my "must buy" list. I'm going to get one next, after I get a M&P9c ;)

The feel of it and the way it balanced was perfect. The trigger was very mechanical and not nearly as nice as my M&P9 but that can be fixed. And to be honest it wasn't that much bigger than the M&P9/40.

John_Wayne777
05-03-07, 13:24
Picked mine up today....:D

http://i13.tinypic.com/4qxyo1h.jpg

That pic makes me feel all tingly inside....

Lumpy196
05-03-07, 13:58
That picture is killing me Nick. I need to order mine SOON.

Sam
05-03-07, 15:05
Nobody's tried the holsters yet? If I get the .45 and end up with a 9mm as well, it would be nice to be able to use the same gear!

Jim

The 45 won't fit PROPERLY in the 9/40 kydex holster due to the wider and longer slide on the 45. Mike Benedict of Talon Tactical said that if you really force the 45 into the 9/40 kydex holster with an open end, it will go in, but you'll need a crowbar to get it back out again.

You'll need a different holster.

M4arc
05-03-07, 16:05

QUE???

What is this I hear...Lumpy is ordering an M&P?

:p

Lumpy196
05-03-07, 17:03
QUE???

What is this I hear...Lumpy is ordering an M&P?

:p

TWO, .45s that is :D

nickdrak
05-03-07, 17:08
For those curious, the M&P45 does fit perfectly in the Tucker Gunleather "The Answer" IWB holster. I also tried it in my Safariland duty holster mod#6280 w/light attached, and the 45 definately WILL NOT fit in this holster due to the length of the slide.

http://i17.tinypic.com/62oq0jr.jpg

nickdrak
05-03-07, 17:20

So sorry, perhaps these will make you feel better:p

http://i13.tinypic.com/4ku1phe.jpg
http://i18.tinypic.com/540n0c8.jpg

DO IT, DO IT!!!

trio
05-03-07, 20:26
i dropped mine off with gotm4 for trigger work yesterday :)

M4arc
05-03-07, 21:03
Dang it!

Now I don't know if I should get an M&P45 or M&P9c next? :mad:

ETA: does anyone know if Surefire is going to make DG type of switch for the M&P?

nickdrak
05-03-07, 23:41
i dropped mine off with gotm4 for trigger work yesterday :)

Cool! Please let us know how the reset turns out on yours. Mine came out really light. Almost non-existant.

RAM Engineer
05-04-07, 20:11
So I took my new M&P45 to the range for the first time.

The Gun: M&P45 with NO manual safety and NO mag disconnect
The Ammo: Winchester White Box 230gr FMJ 100 rnd bulk pack.
Rounds fired: 80
Malfunctions: 3 (all in a row with same magazine).

Failure details: During firing magazine #3 (rounds 21-30) I had 3 failures where pulling the trigger appeared to move the slide back out of battery and the sear tripped, but did not release the striker. Slide returned to battery when sear tripped. Round in chamber did not fire (no striker hit) and slide had to be cycled to reset the trigger. After finishing out the magazine, I repeatedly racked the slide and pulled the trigger (probably 50 times). The problem happened again about 3-4 times during this series of dry firing. Problem never reappeared during the remaining 50 rounds fired.

Other Items of note:

1. Backstraps/Grip Inserts: Couldn't decide on a backstrap. I use the small on my M&P9, but the large on this gun seemed most comfortable. I don't understand how that could be, but it is. I'm sure I'd need to downsize to the medium or small for use with gloves. One of the things I like about the large is the palm swells. With the small insert I don't feel like my palms are touching the gun. Most of my grip is on the frontstrap and backstrap. But with the large insert, I feel like I've got a full 360 of contact. I also like the extra material at the beavertail with the large. It gives me additional surface contact area. I would like to get the insert stippled, though. It's a little smooth.

2. Trigger: Smoother but heavier than my M&P9. The 45 feels more like a Glock trigger to me. Very smooth initial take-up, then a heavy break.

3. I don't like how the grip texture runs up the bottom of the trigger guard. It annoys my strong-hand middle finger.

4. Sights: Will definitely be replacing the 3-dot system with a 10-8 rear and either another gold-bead front or a tritium/white ring front.

5. Mags: Yes, the numbering is funky, but the witness holes DO align correctly and the numbering is where it should be. Very difficult to get the last (10th) round into the magazine. Hopefully the weld at the rear will be fine. I'm used to Sig mags with dove-tails AND welds on the mag body, but I guess these will hold up ok...

6. Accuracy: VERY accurate. I would have done better with better sights, though. Fist-sized groups at 25' in rapid fire.

7. There is a removable spacer where the ambi-safety should be. I guess it wouldn't be hard to retrofit, if you could find the part and wanted to.

8. Recoil: I've never shot a 45 that wasn't full-steel, 5" 1911. And it's been a while since I fired one of those. Kind of caught me off guard for the first magazine. But after that (and changing to the large backstrap) it was gravy!

9. Oh yeah...I guess I don't have any .45 cleaning stuff anymore...gotta get online and rectify that...

Can't wait to put more rounds through it. I had to cut it short today because it was after work and the range was closing. Other's have posted very good pics, so I didn't bother taking any.

Jason

M4arc
05-04-07, 21:05
Great report, thank you Jason.

And keep us posted if those strange failures return.

subzero
05-04-07, 21:54
Can anyone post a pic of their firing grip of an M&P 45 with a manual safety? If the thumbs end up where I think they would, that would be awesome.

nickdrak
05-05-07, 02:05
Can anyone post a pic of their firing grip of an M&P 45 with a manual safety? If the thumbs end up where I think they would, that would be awesome.

It does end up right where you thought it would! And yes, it is awesome!!! I will try to post a pic tomorrow

Obiwan
05-05-07, 10:11
Picked mine up today....I will give it a workout tomorrow...rain or shine

Are you guys getting in on the free reange bag offer from S&W?

http://www.shootingusa.com/LATEST_UPDATES/GUN_A_MONTH/GAM_Offer/gam_offer.html

Sam
05-05-07, 13:35
Saw a few M&P 45s at the gunshow today. Prices range from a high of $622 (with manual thumb safety) to $529 for the guns without thumb safety.

M4arc
05-05-07, 15:13
Saw a few M&P 45s at the gunshow today. Prices range from a high of $622 (with manual thumb safety) to $529 for the guns without thumb safety.

Cool, thanks.

My local shop is asking $507 for the one they have and it does not have the manual safety and has standard, non-NS, sights.

QuietShootr
05-05-07, 15:51
Anyone seen an FDE with safety available yet?

VA_Dinger
05-06-07, 10:42
FYI - M4carbine member Map is going to have an MP45 at the Hackathorn/Vickers Low Light class next weekend. Plus LAV is bringing an HK45. This will probably be the first time any of us have seen them side by side.

graffex
05-06-07, 11:08
FYI - M4carbine member Map is going to have an MP45 at the Hackathorn/Vickers Low Light class next weekend. Plus LAV is bringing an HK45. This will probably be the first time any of us have seen them side by side.

I await a range report from one of you guys :)

Obiwan
05-06-07, 15:29
Ok...I LOVED my M&P9 so much that I ordered a 45 from Buds

I am not big into trendy...I don't jump on every new pistol that comes out (not any more)

I am a diehard 1911 and glock guy ..I got no use for DA auto's but if you like them..it is fine with me

So...Picked up my 45 (no lock/no mag disc.) on Friday afternoon (oh yeah...no ambi safety)

the grip felt kinda big with the Medium insert but the small made it feel very similar to the 9. I thought my mags were screwed up since the numbers appeared backwards...higher numbers in each pair lower than the smaller one...but when I loaded them it worked just fine.

Mags were easy to load and inserted fine even with the slide forward

Trigger had a fair bit of take up and was kind of mushy...reset was nice and short but not real definite...not as nice (out of the box) as my 9.

I disassembled the pistol and gave the internals a quick wipe with slip 2000 and packed my range bag.

Today was a nice spring day in Colorado so my shooting area had 4 inches of fresh snow and the temp was right around 30 degrees. Since the sun was shining it was quite comfortable except for my mistake on footware...wore hiking shoes instead of boots

I shot 250 rounds of mixed mags including RA9t, WWB and Rem value pack HP's, along with CCI blazer brass and aluminum. The pistol functioned flawlessly and was very accurate.

I was shooting with gloves (brrrr) so I had to adjust my grip a little, but this is my first two mags from 30ft shooting as fast as I could

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p318/Obiwan-gunz/45target.jpg

For me....that is fine shooting...especially the first time out with a new pistol

Even at 100 ft I was keeping all my shots on this cutout shooting as fast as I could

Once I got used to the pistol/gloves my groups centered better ...but since I was also shooting my carbine those targets are obliterated

By the end of the session, there seemed to be a more poisitive reset point and I am pretty happy with the trigger. Next time out I will shoot it bare handed and I can get a better feel for it.

NCPatrolAR
05-07-07, 10:08
LAV brought his up to the AK class this past weekend and we got to put some rounds through it. I must say his felt much better than the one I had handled in CHarlotte last week. Of course he said he had put some Trigger Slick on it which is what helped to make the trigger feel less gritty than the one I had handled. It shot well, and I plan to eventually get one. However I'll make sure mine lacks the manual safety.

John_Wayne777
05-07-07, 11:32
LAV brought his up to the AK class this past weekend and we got to put some rounds through it. I must say his felt much better than the one I had handled in CHarlotte last week. Of course he said he had put some Trigger Slick on it which is what helped to make the trigger feel less gritty than the one I had handled. It shot well, and I plan to eventually get one. However I'll make sure mine lacks the manual safety.

Huh....

I wonder how he rates it.

Larry buys at least one of everything from what I understand...but if he gives it a thumbs up that's a fairly significant reason to buy one in my estimation....

Robb Jensen
05-07-07, 12:02
Huh....

I wonder how he rates it.

Larry buys at least one of everything from what I understand...but if he gives it a thumbs up that's a fairly significant reason to buy one in my estimation....

Larry liked my Glock 21SF. He probably already owns one by now too.

QuietShootr
05-07-07, 20:32
Joined the club:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/203/489158242_5b9c37c339_o.jpg

Needs a trigger job.

graffex
05-08-07, 18:27
Are the triggers really that bad on the M&P?

How does it compare to the trigger on a Glock 17?

RAM Engineer
05-08-07, 18:45
Mine feels very much like my glock, but without the distinct reset. However, this is a gun with no manual safety.

John_Wayne777
05-08-07, 19:48
Are the triggers really that bad on the M&P?

How does it compare to the trigger on a Glock 17?

Mine was a tad heavier than the trigger on a couple of my Glock pistols.

The Burwell trigger job helped improve the pull weight and the trigger break to make it much more manageable.

QuietShootr
05-09-07, 19:24
I just shipped mine to Burwell. Range report to follow when it gets back.

Robb Jensen
05-12-07, 21:53
I shot a M&P45 tonight but only 10 rounds. This isn't a great comparison but I have 600 rounds through my Glock 21SF and like the Glock better. Maybe it's the 20yrs of shooting the Glock, but I can honestly say I like the Glock much better. I do shoot a M&P9 in USPSA Production and IDPA in SSP and like it better than a Glock 17 or 34.

I have two matches next weekend, a state level IDPA match and a GSSF match on Sunday. So after tonight I've made up my mind for the IDPA match I'll be shooting my 21SF in CDP division and my G17 and G26 at the GSSF match.

trio
05-12-07, 22:26
you can shoot it more than that, you know...i can even run the extra magazine up....(assuming its my gun you refer to, and if it isnt, then take mine out and shoot it)

what about the glock do you like better?

for me, the key difference between the glocks and the smiths was the trigger....even without work the smith trigger always felt smoother...

im assuming you put the lighter connector in your G21SF?

Also, the manual safety is huge for me...i know this makes me a gun loser, but i am used to it, and mentally and psychologically I just fell better with it around small kids....

I talked to a Smith rep yesterday and he said that they intend to produce the 9mm and .40 models with a thumb safety....i will replace my MP9 when that happens...

Robb Jensen
05-13-07, 07:40
you can shoot it more than that, you know...i can even run the extra magazine up....(assuming its my gun you refer to, and if it isnt, then take mine out and shoot it)

what about the glock do you like better?

for me, the key difference between the glocks and the smiths was the trigger....even without work the smith trigger always felt smoother...

im assuming you put the lighter connector in your G21SF?

Also, the manual safety is huge for me...i know this makes me a gun loser, but i am used to it, and mentally and psychologically I just fell better with it around small kids....

I talked to a Smith rep yesterday and he said that they intend to produce the 9mm and .40 models with a thumb safety....i will replace my MP9 when that happens...

No it wasn't yours. It was a friends at the NRA Range. His was completely stock with about 300 rounds through it. Yes my 21SF has a 3.5lb connector and a Gotm4/Skunkwerks trigger job and Trijicons sights. The Glock seemed to flip less and track better for me, felt recoil was softer too. I intend to try the M&P45 some more and will probably still buy one. I want a HK45 as well.

trio
05-13-07, 08:27
Cool...I would be interested in your take on the difference between the MP45 with and without a trigger job....the 45 triggers really are a lot heavier than the 9mm....and whereas with shooting my 9mm loosened up nicely to the point i really like it, i dont see the .45 doing that...

i know you are busy getting ready for the matches next weekend, but I hope you know you are more than welcome to shoot that thing as much as you get the chance...I thought you had one already....

Robb Jensen
05-13-07, 09:01
Cool. I'll shoot it some before giving it back to you. I don't mean to sound like the M&P45 shot like crap, it shot damn great and very accurate. To me it seems to flip more and cycles a bit slow for me, this can be adjusted with different recoil rods and recoil spring rates. The grip felt a little big (it had the medium, a small fits me a little better).

I prefer a pistol that cycles very quickly and flips very little. This probably comes from being a competitor and shooting a lot (where I can tell the difference almost immediately when shooting at my full speed). A few years ago I used to shoot IDPA in SSP/ESP division with a Glock 31 (.357) later went back to a Glock 17 (9mm). When that would happen the 17 seemed like it took forever to get done cycling, to keep from going crazy I went to a Wolff metal guide rod and a 15lb (reduced) spring in the 17 to make it cycle faster. When I don't practice much or shoot a lot I can't get into my 'Zen' aka my zone (this is where my subconscious takes over everything moves in slow motion and the shooting is reflexive/automatic with no more thought than 'shoot that').

I love this Bruce Lee quote, and he's right when you let go and let your training take over you'll see what you skill level really is:
"The great mistake is to anticipate the outcome of the engagement; you ought not to be thinking of whether it ends in victory or defeat. Let nature take it's course, and your tools will strike at the right moment."---Bruce Lee

The difference in the M&P45 and the 21SF was slight and so far I prefer the 21SF. It's not a scientific comparison. My 21SF is also grip taped well with the Tru-Grip grip tape www.ericwesselman.com and the M&P wasn't. Last night I shot both my SA 1911 and my 21SF and liked the 21SF better as well which made my mind up for the Commonwealth Cup, the 21SF will work better for me there. I shot the 1911 and Glock equally as accurate and can reload the Glock a little faster, It'll do well for me.

I need to do some serious dryfire and some live fire with my 21SF and Glock 17 this week.

Saturday the 19th is the 2007 Commonwealth Cup in Charlottesville and the GSSF match is in Waldorf MD on Sunday the 20th.

Matt Edwards
05-13-07, 13:51
I thought it felt like it cycled "slow" also. I just though I was some kind of freak.

Lumpy196
05-13-07, 14:32
I shoot 1911s better than I do Glocks or M&Ps.

Im still going to buy an M&P45.

Theres my useless contribution to this thread.

M4arc
05-13-07, 14:36
I shoot 1911s better than I do Glocks or M&Ps.

Im still going to buy an M&P45.

Theres my useless contribution to this thread.

Lumpy, just curious to see if you've shot an M&P with a trigger job yet?

trio
05-13-07, 15:29
i shoot 1911s better as well...still love the M&P....debating the 9mm...my wife is going to need/want a carry gun here soon, and depending on what she wants, that ay be what gets sacrificed...

Robb Jensen
05-13-07, 15:34
i shoot 1911s better as well...still love the M&P....debating the 9mm...my wife is going to need/want a carry gun here soon, and depending on what she wants, that ay be what gets sacrificed...

You'll like the M&P45 now. I got the trigger to about 5lbs which is now a lot smoother than stock (not gritty & clunky) and the reset is about 1/4th of what is was stock. I can go lighter if you want later, it's just a mod to the sear to go lighter. The safety seems a little more positive its clicks too, but I don't know why it came out like that.

I'll bet if you gave the M&P45 15-25min. of dryfire everyday for a week and about 1k rounds through it you could easily shoot it better than your 1911s. The saying holds true "it's the indian, not the arrow" and the proof is Dave Sevigny taking 1st at the 2006 USPSA Nationals in Limited with a Glock 35 with a trigger job, magwell, Sevigny sights and a tungsen guide rod.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/competition%20pics/area6_full.jpg

trio
05-13-07, 16:57
sweet! looks like im gonna have to ditch the kids with the wife and head to the range sometime this week....:p

Lumpy196
05-13-07, 17:19
Lumpy, just curious to see if you've shot an M&P with a trigger job yet?

Nope, box stock.

I have a hard time believing even the best M&P trigger job is going to match a well tuned 1911.

Trigger isnt the only reason I shoot 1911s well.

Once again, IM STILL BUYING AN M&P45. ;)

M4arc
05-13-07, 18:02
Nope, box stock.

I have a hard time believing even the best M&P trigger job is going to match a well tuned 1911.

Trigger isnt the only reason I shoot 1911s well.

Once again, IM STILL BUYING AN M&P45. ;)

I wasn't insinuating that an M&P trigger could be tuned to match that of a 1911. I was only trying to gauge your experience with the M&P trigger. I have yet to send my M&P9 off to have a guy like Burwell or Bowie perform a little clean up. I'm just trying to think about how much difference it might make for me, that's all.

John_Wayne777
05-14-07, 08:19
I'm just trying to think about how much difference it might make for me, that's all.

My issue with the M&P trigger was that it tended to disrupt the sights when it broke if you weren't extremely careful about your trigger pull.

Burwell's trigger job eliminated that problem and thusly turned it into a friggin' death ray. The trigger is much more forgiving now. Even if you only hold the weapon with your thumb and trigger finger the weapon won't move when the trigger breaks.

The M&P is now as easy to shoot accurately as my 1911.

graffex
05-14-07, 20:21
I just learned today that the M&P 45 isn't on the Maryland State Police approved handgun list yet. I wonder how long I'm going to have to wait :rolleyes:

ETA: I was told by my 2 knowledgeable buddies that work at the gun store I go to that it wasn't on the State list so they couldn't get it. So I went down the street to this other gun store that I don't like and they had a M&P 45 with the safety for sale. I told the guy behind the counter that the other guys from the "good" gun store said it wasn't on the list and he said "well they're just pissed because they cant get any of them" so I smiled and left. I looked online and sure enough the .45 isn't on the approval list. Looks like someone is breaking the law :rolleyes:

QuietShootr
05-14-07, 21:53
Mine should be back from Burwell this week. I asked him to make the safety a little more positive as well...mine is kind of mushy, not that crisp snap I like in a 1911.

QuietShootr
05-14-07, 21:58
My issue with the M&P trigger was that it tended to disrupt the sights when it broke if you weren't extremely careful about your trigger pull.

Burwell's trigger job eliminated that problem and thusly turned it into a friggin' death ray. The trigger is much more forgiving now. Even if you only hold the weapon with your thumb and trigger finger the weapon won't move when the trigger breaks.

The M&P is now as easy to shoot accurately as my 1911.

That's quite an endorsement. I can't wait to get mine back.

John_Wayne777
05-15-07, 08:33
That's quite an endorsement. I can't wait to get mine back.

I was pleasantly surprised at the difference it made.

The trigger isn't as nice as the 1911's trigger as far as feel, but at least in my hands I can make a bullet hit a target about as easily as with my 1911.

This is from about 15 yards pulling the trigger as fast as I can get the front sight dot to settle on the target...and as far as the flyers go, BEFORE I got the sights settled on the target:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP0160.jpg?t=1179235290

There's 5 magazines worth of ammo in that area, and you can see how small the area is with the 7.62x39mm round as a comparison.

I'll take that kind of performance ANY day.

RAM Engineer
06-02-07, 16:19
Great report, thank you Jason.

And keep us posted if those strange failures return.

119 more rounds through it today (200 cumulative) with no additional failures. I definitely prefer the large grip insert and I hate the factory 3-dot sights. I need a 10-8 rear and tritium/fiberoptic/gold bead front.

Hawkeye
07-03-07, 21:43
Any word yet on the FDE 45's?

nickdrak
07-19-07, 14:30
Just got my M&P45 back from Dan Burwell. Unbelievable turn-around time! The trigger job is outstanding, and the Teflon/Nickel finish, well I will let the pics speak for themself.
http://i18.tinypic.com/6641w77.jpg
http://i18.tinypic.com/6gd1q2h.jpg
http://i12.tinypic.com/6evd579.jpg

I also requested that Dan finish both the front locking block and the rear sear block with the Teflon/Nickle finish. This thing is smooth as.... well I think you can imagine! A very nice touch to my M&P45:
http://i19.tinypic.com/4mtf6sl.jpg

I am going to run this pistol through a pistol course in the next few weeks and I will report back with my impressions, but so far consider me a extremely happy customer!!!:D

M4arc
07-19-07, 15:05
Wow, that is outstanding!

dialM4murder
07-19-07, 16:55
http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/8774/picture005nz1.jpg

Robb Jensen
07-19-07, 18:24
Dans nickel/teflon is darker and not as nickel colored as ROBAR NP3. I'll be sending Dan some of my bolt carriers for nickel/teflon.

JohnJak
07-20-07, 06:16
<edited>

Hawkeye
07-20-07, 08:07
IM STILL BUYING AN M&P45. ;)

Thats good to hear. :D

nickdrak
08-04-07, 16:51
I just picked up one of Burwell's rear tritium sights for my M&P45. He has a limited supply of these available if anyone is interested:

http://i14.tinypic.com/5y307sz.jpg

http://i14.tinypic.com/4r9muit.jpg

John_Wayne777
08-04-07, 17:37
I just picked up one of Burwell's rear tritium sights for my M&P45. He has a limited supply of these available if anyone is interested:

http://i14.tinypic.com/5y307sz.jpg

http://i14.tinypic.com/4r9muit.jpg

I'm digging those sights....