PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else allergic to caffeine?

JonnyVain
03-22-10, 10:00
A few years ago I discovered I was allergic to caffeine. I had a 'holistic' practitioner tell me that some of my issues I was having were due to weak adrenals. I had heart palpitations, fatigue, eye problems, and positional (something) where bending over of standing up from sitting would make me sort of black out.

So I stopped caffeine cold turkey, and all my issues went away, with the exception of the chronic fatigue, but even that isn't as bad as it was.

So anyone else have this issue? Anything to add to this list to stay away from? Any tips on strengthening the system? I'm taking Tribulus and Astragalus right now, and it's helping, but I cycle it so it's temporary.

Nicotine
chocolate
coffee (even decaf)
guarana
green and black tea

pilotguyo540
03-22-10, 17:26
I am currently working myself to death. My health is on the decline. I am way too young to be declining. Maybe it is the caffeine??? I look at it as my pacemaker at this point, but that could be the cause (and solution?) of my problems. I am such a coffee druggie, I don't know if I could survive quitting. Hopefully work can slow down a bit for a while for me to wind down. 12-22 hour days almost every single weekday for 2 years straight (no vacations either) has been eating me alive.

I have heard of this, but never the symptoms. Thanks for the detail.

Good post.

Pi3
03-22-10, 18:29
maybe not allergic, but i was getting headaches about 2 hours after drinking it. gave it up years ago.

chadbag
03-23-10, 00:12
I am not sure that points to a true allergic reaction. More like the effects of caffeine when used to excess. Caffeine is a stimulant and when you constantly stimulate your system it gets fed up! (very technical description I know ;-) )

I avoid caffeine most of the time but still eat Chocolate once in a while, a few gulps of Coke once a month mixed with Root Beer and Lemonade (yes it is good -- this is done at one of those serve yourself soda fountains when at Costco), and when I am having to drive tired I drink Dr Pepper and Mt Dew. That is like once every other year. I don't drink coffee or tea, and avoid other sources of concentrated caffeine. I do stick some "energy powder" in my water bladder when training at an all day course. Highly diluted but it does contain a small amount of caffeine.

Avoiding lots of sugar is also a good idea.

Iraq Ninja
03-23-10, 09:52
Unless you were tested, there is no way to know for sure if you are having an allergic reaction. To be a true allergy, your immune system has to be involved. So, maybe you should get tested to make sure.

I purposely only use caffeine during work, since it may be crucial to staying awake during critical times. I prefer the caffeine gum for ease of use. This way, I can control my intake and titrate it to a level that keeps me alert, yet not jittery.

geminidglocker
03-23-10, 10:10
Not allergic to caffiene, but I am allergic to Coffee, it makes my hands break out in a rash which turns to blisters. Then the skin cracks and bleeds. Does'nt happen with instant coffee or Tea.

WillBrink
03-26-10, 09:17
A few years ago I discovered I was allergic to caffeine.

What medical test was used to diagnose that?

Azul
03-28-10, 23:44
My GI tract hates instant coffee and it gives me migraines but i have never had an issue with caffeine in pill form or energy drinks

The light-headed feeling from getting up quickly can be attributed to dehydration, which coffee can do to you if you drink enough of it.

Excessive caffeine intake messes with circulation and the amounts that i have seen professors go through i can see how it adds up to the problems you mentioned.

Having a morning cup of joe i would not worry about, but if you are making multiple trips to the coffee pot throughout the day then i cant call your symptoms surprising.

Six oh Nine
03-30-10, 12:14
If i was allergic to caffeine i would be dead.... Everyday starts with a 32oz of some dark roast. followed by normally another 24oz after work...

WillBrink
03-30-10, 12:25
If i was allergic to caffeine i would be dead.... Everyday starts with a 32oz of some dark roast. followed by normally another 24oz after work...

I advise you to just got to IV drip this point. :eek:

Six oh Nine
03-30-10, 14:36
lolz if they were available to the public i would own one

Lee Indy
03-30-10, 15:29
im not allergic just addicted

bsf
04-02-10, 22:10
Absolutely not. Coffee is my favorite "pick-me up" for a work out. It is dirt cheap and effective. Screw all that other crap.

WillBrink
04-03-10, 08:12
Absolutely not. Coffee is my favorite "pick-me up" for a work out. It is dirt cheap and effective. Screw all that other crap.

There's no sunshine without coffee. I grind it fresh every morning from whole beans. My favorite is from the The Roasterie out if Kansas City:

http://www.theroasterie.com/

uwe1
04-03-10, 21:44
What medical test was used to diagnose that?

Sounds like a shaman, err I mean holistic practitioner, told him.:D

There's no sunshine without coffee. I grind it fresh every morning from whole beans. My favorite is from the The Roasterie out if Kansas City:

http://www.theroasterie.com/

Nothing like fresh ground coffee. Once you start doing it, everything else sucks in comparison. I get my wife to grind and brew it.

uwe1
04-03-10, 21:48
I am addicted to coffee also, but I think you're taking it a little too far. You may want to ease off. I usually ration myself one 16 oz. cup per day. I drink a third to start the day, and sip a bit every two hours after.

With the amount you're putting down you're going to give yourself some seriously high BP.

uwe1
04-03-10, 21:54
A few years ago I discovered I was allergic to caffeine. I had a 'holistic' practitioner tell me that some of my issues I was having were due to weak adrenals. I had heart palpitations, fatigue, eye problems, and positional (something) where bending over of standing up from sitting would make me sort of black out.

It's called postural hypotension, caused by changes to the available blood supply going to your brain as you get up quickly. If your body doesn't adjust quick enough, you may black out. When someone blacks out, often times the first responders will elevate the patients' legs to get the blood to flow to the brain better.

So I stopped caffeine cold turkey, and all my issues went away, with the exception of the chronic fatigue, but even that isn't as bad as it was.

So anyone else have this issue? Anything to add to this list to stay away from? Any tips on strengthening the system? I'm taking Tribulus and Astragalus right now, and it's helping, but I cycle it so it's temporary.

Nicotine
chocolate
coffee (even decaf)
guarana
green and black tea

I am not an M.D., but have you considered that maybe you're just really sensitive to the effects of caffeine, and perhaps not "allergic" to it?

WillBrink
04-04-10, 07:52
Nothing like fresh ground coffee. Once you start doing it, everything else sucks in comparison. I get my wife to grind and brew it.

Try some coffee from the Rosterie. You won't be sorry.

uwe1
04-04-10, 10:59
Try some coffee from the Rosterie. You won't be sorry.

Which flavor (there are so many) is your personal favorite?

WillBrink
04-04-10, 11:24
Which flavor (there are so many) is your personal favorite?

They have so many great coffees, I hate to narrow it down, but if I had to choose one:

http://www.theroasterie.com/Coffee/CoffeeProfile/tabid/86/product/8081b61c-31c8-4339-8c85-fa971adb574a/pageNumber/1/Default.aspx

If that link gives you trouble, it's Full Vengeance Dark Blend

sand86
04-30-10, 16:57
My father is hyper-sensitive to caffeine, and I am quite sensitive as well. More than a cup of coffee and I get the shakes.

My father on the other hand will get blurred vision and an irregular heart beat. He is other wise extremely healthy and in good physical shape.

I started drinking this tea called Yerba Mate, my highschool spanish teacher introduced me too it. I spent some time living in Uruguay where it is something of a national beverage.

It has the caffeine to get you up and going, but something about it doesn't effect people the same as coffee. It takes an awful lot of it for the effects to impact me negatively and at that it is nothing like coffee.

My father has been drinking probably about 2 liters of it per day since I introduced it to him. He has had no ill effects.

Any way you should check it out. It is supposed to have a lot of good minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants too. But, for me it's just my hot beverage of choice. It wakes me up and I have grown to thoroughly enjoy the taste.