PDA

View Full Version : AAR EAG Carbine Memphis

Pat_Rogers
04-23-07, 16:37
We had another great week at the Memphis Police Department Firearms Training Unit range. The quality of the physical plant is exceeded only by the quality of the cops who work there and who train the cops in the very hard city.
This class was a 5 Day Tactical Carbine Class, and included multiple shoot house runs (both as a singleton and two man) as well as square range out to 300m.
This was an open class and had the usual mix of cop, mil, contractors and earth people.
Wes Grant, the large pilot of MSTN fame was present once again and made many people happy by providing the assembled multitudes with equipment from his store. This was a great opportunity for students to see, touch, shoot and otherwise lust after those things that MSTN builds and sells.
We had no optics problems and few gun issues. The one glaring exception was an LMT that had 535 trouble free rounds through it and then decided it would not run.
The biggest problem was with ammo. The MPD shooters were using Q3131A, which is- at best- garbage.
It has once more lived up to the quality control standards by depositing popped primers into the lower receiver, bolt gas key and gas tubes of several guns. We also had a squib load from that same bunch.
Mike Hueser’s loaner carbine is locked up solid, probably because of a primer in the bolt cam pin slot (something we have seen before).
I haven’t seen any ammo from that part of the world- IMI, TZZ or the 3131A that I would be happy with. The experience over the past week just validate what was already known.
The quality of the shooters in this class was universally high, and while not everyone was up to the same level of experience, there were a few who were truly transparent in their applications of tactics and use of force.
Equipment will always be a major bugaboo for anyone in this business, and this class was no exception. It is difficult for people to research what is good and not, and we often have to depend on anecdotal info in making purchases- not always the best research tool.
A tip of the hat to my AI’s- Mike Hueser, Jay Tuttle and Jose Gordon- for making this work.
Also Kudos to Eagle Industries, CamelBak, Viking Tactics and Larue Tactical for their continued support of our program.
Finally, mega kudos to the Firearms Training Unit of the Memphis PD. These guys are forward leaning and very much dedicated to keeping the good guys alive while ensuring that the bad guys are properly processed. The CO of the FTU- Lt Mike Rawlins- attended the class (and he is a hell of a shooter) along with 3 of his Instructors (One was High Shooter /carbine and the other High Shooter/ pistol). They spent a lot of time preparing the range and deconflicting potential issues and making this one a great class. Two of these guys had serious issues- deaths in the family- while at class. They were able to work through all of the problems and stay focused on what was needed in order to maximize the training while also attending to family responsibilities.
Top shelf guys……..

One additional note. There was a PPC match taking place at the same time. At the end of TD3, two shooters were working on their downed LMT. A competitor was walking through the parking lot w/ wife and dogs. He asked if they were cleaning, and the students replied that they had a broke gun.
The competitor immediately offered up the AR he had in his trunk so that they could finish the class. He didn’t know their names, no questions asked, no handshakes- no nothing. He offered because other shooters might need help, and that was all he was concerned with.
The rifle was not needed (these very experience shooters had several spares) but that is not the point.
The point of course is that some of the very best people that I have ever met carry and use guns as part of their every day life. In this case the man making the offer is a former 18D and a retired tactical cop- clearly highly experienced and a true and faithful judge of character.
Images to follow (after I finish the next 8 classes on this trip…)

LukeMacGillie
04-23-07, 16:56
But what about the MOACKS? :D

Thats what I look forward to on every AAR.

I just got mine(The muy de'lux model) last week and put it to use this morning.

Pat_Rogers
04-23-07, 19:15
Most of the guns were Colt's, and of those that weren't none were garbage. No carriers needed staking, no chambers needed reaming.
Of course one BCG was lunch due to the primer being wedged in the key....:confused:

LukeMacGillie
04-23-07, 20:25
Most of the guns were Colt's, and of those that weren't none were garbage. No carriers needed staking, no chambers needed reaming.
Of course one BCG was lunch due to the primer being wedged in the key....:confused:

Thats what the Olympic Crap ammo did to me at the Class in Indiana back in 04.

You start blowing primers and you never know how bad it will end up.

Pat_Rogers
04-23-07, 20:35
Oh yeah, and i remember it well......
Here is a fact of life. Experience is what we get when we don't get what we want.

From the training side, we travel x amount of miles to get to the venue. We spend x amount of $$$ on food/ lodging.
We Spend a lot more on guns, optics and nylon support equipment.
And the we go cheap on ammo that may not fire; may be overpressure; may have cases improperly prepared; and so forth.
Then we have a bad training experience because the buy cheap thing wasn't so cheap after all.

In the Memphis case, it was department training ammo, and such decisions are most often made by bean counters and based soley on cost.
Ammo is not ammo anymore then a lower tier gun is an M4.

Greyman09
04-24-07, 11:32
Pat Rogers,

What are you recommendations for trianing ammo. What do you see works well in your training classes. Thanks for posting on the forum.

Greyman

LukeMacGillie
04-24-07, 12:20
Pat Rogers,

What are you recommendations for trianing ammo. What do you see works well in your training classes. Thanks for posting on the forum.

Greyman

Olympic SS109 is one to stay away from from experience.

Pat_Rogers
04-25-07, 06:45
Greyman,
I am not thrilled about recommending ammo because of the general inconsistencies in QC/QA.
I shoot what i am issued. If i have to buy ammo Black Hills is the only ammo i purchase in quantity.
I am a Master dealer for BH so there is a conflict of interest, but i used to provide that ammo as a service to my students.
Having said that, they are in a several month backlog, and some students are not reliable enough to stand by their obligations. Consequently, I do not provide or recommend ammunition.

FJB
04-25-07, 21:54
Pat,
I hear you on the crap ammo issue, but it is real tough to get quality ammo even for quality training with you. Not an excuse for students, just hard facts currently given ammo situation..

On the other hand if one is going to commit to a class with you then "piss poor performance (esp. ammo) should not be the result of piss poor planning." By the way reached into my stocks of BH 55gr for the up coming classes as sourcing other quality ammo in time was nearly impossible.

See you at Sheriff Ken's.

S/F

Pat_Rogers
04-26-07, 14:32
Roger on that. Pretty soon all you will be able to get is poor quality ammo- at least for the near term.
Showers in Carmel now..

higear
05-11-07, 10:48
Pics Pat, Pics!