PDA

View Full Version : Loose Grip screws--P228

signal4l
03-23-10, 18:07
I have a P228 with factory grips/screws. The screws need to be tightened about every 20 rounds. I am tempted to apply a bit of blue loctite but would like to see what other options I have. I dont want to remove/reapply the loctite every time I remove the grips.

Suggestions???Thanks

PT Doc
03-23-10, 18:15
I have a P228 and use hex head screws with no issues.

tracker722
03-23-10, 18:42

tactical1
03-23-10, 19:04
Same problem and a coupla drops of blue loctite are working fine.

signal4l
03-23-10, 19:18
Thanks. I guess I will have to get some hex head screws

WesleyCE
03-23-10, 22:15
You don't need the hex screws. Just use some blue locktite and you will be good to go. That's what I use on my p226 and it works just fine and I don't need an allen wrench to remove the screws if I need to.

l3mon
03-23-10, 22:38
Thanks. I guess I will have to get some hex head screws

got an even better idea!!!

buy a glock :D

but realy, locktite fixes everything duct tape cant

PLCedeno
03-24-10, 07:48
Be extremely careful in tightening those screws as the aluminum frame is softer than the steel screws. I stripped one once on my old 229 that required a new frame. It was the only major downside i ever found on a Sig.

kaltblitz
03-24-10, 13:08
Sigs are notorious for grip screws coming loose. When I went through their armorers course back in the day they were recommending putting a little bit of clear nail polish on them as a threadlocker. I've been doing it for years now with no issues.

noops
03-24-10, 13:37
You do need to be careful overtightening. I'm trying to remember from the armorer's course, but I think it was finger tight plus 1/4 turn. I'll look it up in the armorer's manual tonight.

You DON'T need to replace your frame if you strip. SIG will tap and rethread the frame and send you new, larger grip screws to use. They will upsize the screws ONCE on a frame. You do it twice, you're out of luck.

deuce9166
03-24-10, 14:08
If your not comfortable with blue loctite, you might try clear fingernail polish.

four
03-25-10, 12:40
You do need to be careful overtightening. I'm trying to remember from the armorer's course, but I think it was finger tight plus 1/4 turn. I'll look it up in the armorer's manual tonight.

You DON'T need to replace your frame if you strip. SIG will tap and rethread the frame and send you new, larger grip screws to use. They will upsize the screws ONCE on a frame. You do it twice, you're out of luck.

yeah. under warranty, for the original owner.....

if you do strip the threadboss, aside from a larger screw, you could get it migwelded shut. drill and retapped. there are a couple of smiths around the country that will do it for you.

One of the reasons the service kit comes with new screws is because the screw is softer than the frame and will deform with use. New screws are not deformed and will be tighter. but yes, Locktite is your friend. unless you have wood grips, then use clear nail polish.

the hex head screws on the 229 are frustrating because they 1) use a torx head and 2) are much harder than the frame, meaning not only is it likely to strip out the boss, but if you cross thread it you wreck the boss and it will strip the threads out sooner or later.

Spiffums
03-25-10, 19:44
Why are you taking your grips off alot? A little bit of thread locker and your rockin'.