PDA

View Full Version : On-Duty State Trooper Accused of Driving Drunk

Rider79
03-23-10, 20:31
http://www.aolnews.com/crime/article/on-duty-colorado-state-trooper-david-dolan-accused-of-driving-drunk/19411071?icid=main|main|dl1|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aolnews.com%2Fcrime%2Farticle%2Fon-duty-colorado-state-trooper-david-dolan-accused-of-driving-drunk%2F19411071

(March 23) -- An on-duty Colorado State Patrol trooper was pulled over in his marked patrol car Monday and arrested on suspicion of drunken driving after several concerned citizens called 911 to report he was driving erratically.

"Devastated" is how Col. James Wolfinbarger, chief of the CSP, described the arrest of David Dolan at a press conference.

"This badge has meaning. This badge represents 75 years of a strict enforcement of Colorado laws [and] protecting people. I'm devastated," Wolfinbarger said.

The Douglas County Sheriff's Office says it received the first of numerous calls about the incident at about 7 a.m. Monday. Those calls were initially transferred to the CSP, but a few minutes later the CSP contacted the Sheriff's Department and asked for help locating the vehicle.

"You're looking for a marked ... state patrol unit," a CSP dispatcher reported over police airways. "We've got several calls. Need to check his welfare."

Shortly after the request for assistance was made, a Douglas County deputy spotted Dolan's cruiser on the C-470 beltway. A traffic stop was then initiated near South Platte Canyon Road.

"After contacting the driver, who was confirmed to be a Colorado State trooper in full uniform, he was taken into custody for investigation of driving under the influence of alcohol," reads a CSP press release.

Dolan's arrest was captured on video by a local news station.

"The images that you see on television like that are tough to explain," Wolfinbarger said.

As difficult as the situation is, Wolfinbarger said he is grateful that other drivers took the initiative to call in and report the incident. "[They] helped a very bad situation from turning tragic," he said.

At the time of his arrest, Dolan was reportedly en route from the Colorado Springs barracks to an academy in Golden. Wolfinbarger said he is uncertain what business Dolan had there.

"I don't know why he was going there," Wolfinbarger told The Denver Post. "He was not on routine patrol."

Dolan was booked into the Douglas County Jail on charges of driving under the influence and prohibited use of weapons. The weapons charge stems from a Colorado law that prohibits the possession of a firearm while intoxicated. He is free on bond.

According to Wolfinbarger, Dolan, 48, is a 21-year veteran of CSP. He is assigned to the Colorado Springs unit, where his duties include accident reconstruction and background investigations on individuals who have enrolled in the Colorado State Patrol Academy.

As a result of his arrest, Dolan has been placed on unpaid leave, pending an internal investigation. Following that investigation, a hearing will be held, at which time Dolan could be terminated.

Business_Casual
03-23-10, 20:44
Well I can't see this going off track at some point.

By "can't" I mean "absolutely will."

M_P

Rider79
03-23-10, 20:49
Well I can't see this going off track at some point.

By "can't" I mean "absolutely will."

M_P

Not my intention, I just hope for the officer's sake it turns out to be an adverse reaction to meds or something, but it doesn't seem like that will be the case. BAC doesn't come back that fast for them to know that it was alcohol, does it?

bkb0000
03-23-10, 21:03
lame.. 21 years down the drain, just like that. must be the end of a long downward spiral- fortunately his "crash and burn" wasn't literal.

PdxMotoxer
03-23-10, 21:03
It's tough sometimes but being that this is still "under internal investigation"
Everyone (INCLUDING the MEDIA) should remember it still pretty much is.......
Innocent until PROVEN guilty.

No matter the outcome i'm pretty sure everyone understands no matter what the job there will always be a few bad eggs and given the bigger the group the more
bad eggs there is potential to be.

That being said i would NEVER let one (or a very small batch) of bad eggs EVER stop me from enjoying one of my favorite meals........ breakfast!!

If he is PROVEN guilty then thank whoever no one was hurt and he gets help and help in making better choices in his life.

Not just fired and cast aside starting a downward spiral.
Like what you see done with most airline pilots and others whom we trust daily
with our lives.

who knows maybe he's just really a shitty driver.

seb5
03-23-10, 21:12
Not my intention, I just hope for the officer's sake it turns out to be an adverse reaction to meds or something, but it doesn't seem like that will be the case. BAC doesn't come back that fast for them to know that it was alcohol, does it?

I would be very surprised if he submitted to a breath test, which is instantaneous.

A blood test could take a little time but the hospitals get you an answer very quickly, it just takes a court order to get those results. Either way, bad choices have consequences.

NCPolice555
03-24-10, 01:22
When I first heard this, and I still do think, but if it does come back he was Under the Influence of Alchol, this is by no mens an excuse, but there's something wrong in his life.
Again, I'm not making an excuse, but you just dont throw away 21 years, as a State Trooper who focuses on Accident Reconstruction, as well as of coarse motor vehicle violations such as DUI.
This isnt some dumb rookie, this is a Trooper with years and experiance under his belt, if this was an alchol related incident, something has to have triggered him to
not care anymore and throw it all away.

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out

Irish
03-24-10, 01:32
When I first heard this, and I still do think, but if it does come back he was Under the Influence of Alchol, this is by no mens an excuse, but there's something wrong in his life.
Again, I'm not making an excuse, but you just dont throw away 21 years, as a State Trooper who focuses on Accident Reconstruction, as well as of coarse motor vehicle violations such as DUI.
This isnt some dumb rookie, this is a Trooper with years and experiance under his belt, if this was an alchol related incident, something has to have triggered him to
not care anymore and throw it all away.

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out

You make some very valid points. I think a lot of this could also apply to the average citizen in a similar situation.

perna
03-24-10, 02:04
I really doubt his chief would say the things he did if there was any doubt if he was drunk or not. Recently I heard about someone I used to work with was losing his career because of alcohol even when he was given a bunch of chances to clean himself up. I think alcohol being legal makes people forget how many problems it can cause.

PRGGodfather
03-24-10, 02:41
You make some very valid points. I think a lot of this could also apply to the average citizen in a similar situation.

Ditto.

This is unfortunate in many ways. Yet, despite the article's slant, this is hardly a complete picture of the event or what is to come. Often, the administrative personnel action is a confidential proceeding, even if the arrest is public record. There is a two-prong process, which can overlap depending on the charge.

Further, police discipline in these types of matters can vary from state to state, and the mere statement, "Could lead to termination," does not necessarily mean the officer will be terminated. For many agencies in law enforcement, the lines between verbal reprimand and termination are very thin.

Accordingly, even cops who screw up are subject to progressive discipline (like many jobs), and depending on what really happened at the stop (e.g., Is this his first offense, did he cooperate, did he tell the truth, is he an alcoholic, is he asking for help) -- the outcome is hardly predetermined. The lack of injury means the incident is likely a misdemeanor, which by itself, may not be grounds for dismissal. Conversely, a felony charge could result in dismissal for cause, even before a conviction.

If the officer had some serious personal issues and requests treatment for alcoholism, he may get ONE pass, subject to completion of counseling and no further violations of policy for x number of years. Also, I don't know how many years is required for his retirement, but early retirement could also be an option, depending greatly on the level of cooperation and the officer's acceptance of accountability.

While it is perfectly reasonable to hold police officers and those who either make or enforce laws to a higher standard; the totality of the circumstances, including factors that could mitigate discipline must be considered if we are to impose what is right. The world just isn't drawn in black and white

This is particularly true if the employee is vested (and after 21 years, I would imagine he is), and more importantly, if Colorado has a Peace Officer Bill of Rights. POBR exists in many states, and often, to prevent capricious dismissals when some attempt to save a career might be the right thing to do.

While certainly shameful, such stupidity is not as unforgiveable as some might make it out to be, depending on how sincerely remorseful the individual was, to include past behavior and record -- even for cops -- up to a point.

Sorry if the waters got a little muddied.

Cops shouldn't get a free pass, but first time misdemeanor DUI offenders don't go to prison right off the bat, either. Just as most folks don't get fired from their jobs just for having been arrested on a misdemeanor -- there are some common sense parallels for first time police discipline. This is often the case, provided the officer is honest and remorseful by sincerely accepting accountability and consequences -- and does not reoffend.

This fellow can probably save what remains of his job, by taking it in the chest like a man -- and realize that somehow, alcohol has interfered with his life. His career; however, based on time and other things, is likely over.

If he lied, is in denial or makes excuses -- Adios, amigo.

decodeddiesel
03-24-10, 10:01
This happened on the highway right in front of my work. I drove past the whole thing, but only saw a bunch of cop cars (and 2 news helicopters :rolleyes:). No clue what had happened until word spread around the office.

Honestly this is terrifying. Not only was the patrolman driving a marked State Patrol vehicle, but he was also armed with his issue sidearm, as well as an AR15.

dbrowne1
03-24-10, 10:33
I really doubt his chief would say the things he did if there was any doubt if he was drunk or not.

I agree. The article is sparse on facts (like BAC, etc.) but the way those quotes come across - it doesn't sound like the boss has any doubt.

Recently I heard about someone I used to work with was losing his career because of alcohol even when he was given a bunch of chances to clean himself up. I think alcohol being legal makes people forget how many problems it can cause.

I know a bunch of people who have lost, or severely damaged, their careers. It's a widespread and tragic problem and can happen to people in any line of work.

I'm not going to bash him for doing this in uniform - the fact that he did this at all tells me that he is mentally ill and it wasn't a willful act on his part. I feel sorry for this guy and hope he gets the help he needs. It's too bad he, or other people around him, couldn't have stopped it before it got to this point.

Jer
03-24-10, 10:48
Double post.

Jer
03-24-10, 10:48
He has not been found guilty yet... but he did it. I don't care what 'life problems' you have there is NO excuse for what he did and this extreme lack of character is not acceptable for even an off duty LEO in his car on his time let alone IN UNIFORM IN A SQUAD CAR. Pathetic. I just hope someone deserving who is currently employed and capable appreciates the responsibility more than he did.

Safetyhit
03-24-10, 10:50
I agree. The article is sparse on facts (like BAC, etc.) but the way those quotes come across - it doesn't sound like the boss has any doubt.

I know a bunch of people who have lost, or severely damaged, their careers. It's a widespread and tragic problem and can happen to people in any line of work.

I'm not going to bash him for doing this in uniform - the fact that he did this at all tells me that he is mentally ill and it wasn't a willful act on his part. I feel sorry for this guy and hope he gets the help he needs. It's too bad he, or other people around him, couldn't have stopped it before it got to this point.

Agreed. There may have been any one of several personal situations that caused him to do something incredibly stupid like this, something that in all possibility he might never have done before. To assume he just doesn't give a shit or was out to do deliberate harm is short-sighted.

Yes, he bears additional responsibility over that of us common folk. But it's not necessarily like he is now the scum of the earth either.

Artos
03-24-10, 10:54
Will need to wait for the final report, but Hope it all works out for him...there are lots of worse circumstances that could have happened besides ruining his career.

Just glad he did not hurt himself or anyone else that would have dug the hole a lot deeper literally and emotionally.

ST911
03-24-10, 11:14
Officers are indeed entitled to progressive discipline. The problem is that there are behaviors they will engage in and violations that will commit that are entirely inconsistent with the ethics, values, and missions associated with their profession. He isn't driving a delivery van, he's driving a marked patrol car of the Colorado State Patrol. His job is to arrest drunk drivers, not be one.

His punishment should be swift, definitive, and made public so as to restore confidence and credibility of the CSP and their accountability processes.

LE culture is entirely too tolerant of the use and abuse of alcohol by its members.

arizonaranchman
03-24-10, 14:27
Ditto.

This is unfortunate in many ways. Yet, despite the article's slant, this is hardly a complete picture of the event or what is to come. Often, the administrative personnel action is a confidential proceeding, even if the arrest is public record. There is a two-prong process, which can overlap depending on the charge.

Further, police discipline in these types of matters can vary from state to state, and the mere statement, "Could lead to termination," does not necessarily mean the officer will be terminated. For many agencies in law enforcement, the lines between verbal reprimand and termination are very thin.

Accordingly, even cops who screw up are subject to progressive discipline (like many jobs), and depending on what really happened at the stop (e.g., Is this his first offense, did he cooperate, did he tell the truth, is he an alcoholic, is he asking for help) -- the outcome is hardly predetermined. The lack of injury means the incident is likely a misdemeanor, which by itself, may not be grounds for dismissal. Conversely, a felony charge could result in dismissal for cause, even before a conviction.

If the officer had some serious personal issues and requests treatment for alcoholism, he may get ONE pass, subject to completion of counseling and no further violations of policy for x number of years. Also, I don't know how many years is required for his retirement, but early retirement could also be an option, depending greatly on the level of cooperation and the officer's acceptance of accountability.

While it is perfectly reasonable to hold police officers and those who either make or enforce laws to a higher standard; the totality of the circumstances, including factors that could mitigate discipline must be considered if we are to impose what is right. The world just isn't drawn in black and white

This is particularly true if the employee is vested (and after 21 years, I would imagine he is), and more importantly, if Colorado has a Peace Officer Bill of Rights. POBR exists in many states, and often, to prevent capricious dismissals when some attempt to save a career might be the right thing to do.

While certainly shameful, such stupidity is not as unforgiveable as some might make it out to be, depending on how sincerely remorseful the individual was, to include past behavior and record -- even for cops -- up to a point.

Sorry if the waters got a little muddied.

Cops shouldn't get a free pass, but first time misdemeanor DUI offenders don't go to prison right off the bat, either. Just as most folks don't get fired from their jobs just for having been arrested on a misdemeanor -- there are some common sense parallels for first time police discipline. This is often the case, provided the officer is honest and remorseful by sincerely accepting accountability and consequences -- and does not reoffend.

This fellow can probably save what remains of his job, by taking it in the chest like a man -- and realize that somehow, alcohol has interfered with his life. His career; however, based on time and other things, is likely over.

Well said PRG and precisely right. We will have to see what happens, there are many factors but there is definitely alot more to the story. Even if he's an exemplary officer he'll see some days on the beach for sure as this has been a very public spectacle.

Colo.TJ
03-24-10, 14:28
Local news sources are reporting that a family member informed them that he admitted himself to an alcohol treatment center for approx. 2.5 days and has admitted to a drinking problem. This occured prior to his arrest.
They also stated that he is suffering from PTST from many years on the accident response team reviewing many fatalities.

Irish
03-24-10, 14:42
Local news sources are reporting that a family member informed them that he admitted himself to an alcohol treatment center for approx. 2.5 days and has admitted to a drinking problem. This occured prior to his arrest.
They also stated that he is suffering from PTST from many years on the accident response team reviewing many fatalities.

Then I sincerely hope he gets the help he needs and deserves.

xfyrfiter
03-24-10, 23:19
If proven, he definetely needs to be punished accordingly. 99% of first time offenders are just first time caught, and have driven under the influence many more times than once. DUI is so bad in most areas now, I cannot excuse it in anyone.

Collegefour
03-25-10, 03:50

I will attempt to shed a bit of light, since I am a LEO employed by the State of Colorado, although not by CSP.
As a state employee, the officer will have the option of assistance by a wide array of services, including but not limited to counseling and legal services.
At 21 years, the officer is not only vested, he is eligilble for retirement.
Keep in mind that as a trooper, he must retain his driver's license to retain his employment. If he did not submit to the breathalyzer, his DL is automatically suspended for 1 year. If he did, and gets good legal counsel, he could get a (plea-bargain) conviction on a lesser charge and retain his DL. CSP could also decide to retain him and reassign him to a desk job, but I don't think that's common practice, and it would not be good for PR.
Discipline is up to his supervisors. It is unlikely that they could move to terminate if the officer is in good standing and this is his first offense, unless his DL is revoked. All Colorado state employees receive evaluations yearly, so they will have a track record to refer to. A formal write up is likely, and there may be other consequences as well.
Still a lot of "ifs" to consider, but hopefully this gives all of you a bit more context as to what the officer is facing. I agree with whoever said that this would be bad if he was off-duty in his own car, and it's that much worse on-duty in a marked patrol car.
I cannot fathom what could have driven someone with his knowlege and expertise to do what he did. It was drilled into his head (I have had training at CSP, so I know what I'm talking about) to make people understand that they cannot do this, but he goes and does it himself? Inconcieveable.......not to mention hypocritical. The political fallout may cause him to resign rather than put up with it.

perna
03-25-10, 04:18
I have never been a state employee or have any knowledge of Colorado, but have been employed by a few cities. From my experience I have seen people get more than a few chances after screwing up like this. Normally people get thrown in counseling and treatment programs. But since this was on the news he is probably screwed.

Alpha Sierra
03-25-10, 05:40
If he was indeed under the influence of alcohol or drugs (legal or not) and if he was indeed armed, then he is most likely looking at a felony charge (he would in Ohio).

If that charge sticks and he is convicted of it, he is toast as an LEO, or should be.

The question is, will the Douglas County Attorney push the issue?

joe-bananas
03-25-10, 19:36
In Alaska, you can chug an entire beer, pop the top and swill half of another, then jump into your Alaska State Trooper vehicle and start your shift and not get penalized for it.

You can also go to the neighborhood country bar, get pretty toasted, start a bar fight, pull your badge when you start getting your butt kicked, have the butt-kicker leave and you can chase him down the highway at obscene speeds and, when pulled over, allowed to go home sloshed and behind the wheel because you're an Alaska State Trooper.

Trooper Mike Wooten.

It's pretty wild up here.

I wish Alaska prosecuted these things instead of letting the AST or local police handle it internally.

LockenLoad
03-25-10, 21:25
police are human too we are frail animals, our faults are found in all walks of life, this is no more shocking than the local priest diddling the choir boy:confused:

Dienekes
03-25-10, 21:53
Wyoming Highway Patrol had about 3 troopers go bad in the last couple of years. The worst case was a trooper who tried to set up a fake accident with a truck, kill the driver, and use it to set up a lawsuit against the owner,Wal-Mart. In furtherance of this scheme he initially arrested the trucker, then had second thoughts and "unarrested" him and let him go. Of course the whole thing came unravelled. Another trooper was involved and took a few days to fess up about his role in helping. Both were also implicated in some steroids trafficking. Both were prosecuted but I don't recall the exact results.

At least the chief of the CO HP dealt with it head on, and obviously it hurt to do it. I have to respect that.

We had another case in Natrona Co (Casper) with an investigator for the county coroner stealing drugs and property from death scenes over a period of years. Apparently he was a good old boy and managed to get probation. At least there was some outrage over that.

As a retired LEO this stuff is painful. I came from a different place and era. No one is perfect, but some things are beyond the pale. It's also noticeable when the prevalent culture minimizes the offense or starts rationalizing it away.

Like the man said: "This badge means something." And it ought to.