PDA

View Full Version : information = survival

warrior9504
03-23-10, 22:02
I was wondering about the more mundane of SHTF preparedness - information. I assume in a serious SHTF where we have prolonged periods of no power, etc. we would also lose internet access. I know that would kill my primary source to find out how to do darn near anything.

So what, if anything, have you guys done to stock-pile knowledge. Like all the "how-to" make stuff, or medical info, etc. I have a pretty crappy memory, and I don't do most of these things regularly enough so I was wondering if there is a good book out there for this or if anyone is compiling some sort of SHTF binder...

I did a quick search and didn't see this discussed if it is a repeat sorry.

MarshallDodge
03-23-10, 22:13
A lot of good information that I have is in pdf form. Stuff I have downloaded or converted while doing research. I have set myself up to have power in case the grid goes down so I can access it.

The only issue would be if there was an EMP which took out my PC, generator, etc. Since we a lot of info in books about first aid, recipes, water filtration, wind and solar generation, gardening, etc. I think I can survive without the information anyway.

fixer
03-24-10, 05:23
yeah.... someone should invent a way to print all this online information out and bind it into a small, portable format so you could find a package of info on just the subject you were looking for. they would be easy to transport too.

i'm sure it would need a nifty acronym to make it sell... perhaps something like Binary Optimized Ocular Keeper, or a B.O.O.K. don't ask me why i chose that as an example, it just came to me.

:D

or just get out and try stuff... do things, fail at some attempts and learn how to do it better. then you'll know how to do something without having to look it up. no substitute for been there, done that experience.

warrior9504
03-28-10, 07:06
what will they think of next, if Apple invented it they could charge $500 a pop for one :) I guess I was looking for any specific books or websites that you guys use. I don't have a lot of free time (2 kids under 2y/o and a full-time job) so I wouuld like to try some stuff but if I could have a resource that some people have vouched for. Plus I would bet my local Barnes and Noble doesn't have "What you need to know when it's TEOTWAWKI or TSRHTF"...not you typical casual reading material.

I was thinking it would probably be a website (or multiple) that I could save stuff in PDF and print it out to make a survival manual. Where did you get your stuff Marshall?

jhs1969
03-28-10, 19:46
Do some research, try a well stocked surplus/outdoor retailer and book stores. I prefer Books-a-million to B&N, at least from our local stores. I have a few manuals that I have gathered over the years that are in my book case for reference. The last manual I picked up (at BAM) is a USAF survival manual. It goes into many different subjects concerning survival. My wife picked up a few manuals on gutting, skinning and cooking wild game. Don't get too attached to the "net", get out and find some books and manuals. You may want to pack up one or two and get out into the wilderness, whether a camping trip or just a day trip, to try out some of the instructions. Don't go out with the intention that "I have the book, now I'm ready to survive", go out try a few techniques. Go out later and try more, build your knowledge.

Good luck

fixer
03-29-10, 04:23
I guess I was looking for any specific books or websites that you guys use.

that's an awfully broad question to answer without knowing something about your knowledge base and experience.

i've got a bookcase that's mostly survival and prep related books. from military field manuals, to the Foxfire series, to Carla Emery's book, books on knots, "Where there is no doctor", etc. i think i still have some of those books in boxes from when i moved (along with all the fiction books).

do you want info on farming and animal husbandry? first aid? primitive camping? plumbing? alternative energy? canning? small motors? building sheds and small cabins?

the problem i've seen with some of the general books is that they don't go into enough detail on specific subjects.

some have simply been interesting to read, some have been so bad that i skimmed thru them and but them back on the table or shelf. Duncan Long's gun books were really bad IMHO. his book on the AR was so bad it was scary.

are you the handyman around the house or do you call the plumber or electrician for any problems? do you wrench on your own vehicles, or take it to the dealership? do you own your own home or rent an apartment?

i'm not concerned with where you are and what you know now... as long as you have the ability to learn. many people don't. that's not directed at anyone, that's just a general statement. i'm always trying to learn new things and wrench on vehicles, do basic electrical wiring, plumbing, and other home improvement stuff. i've got a single family home on a small suburban lot. i'd love to have many acres someplace further out of town, but that's not happening with my current budget.

some people are like a sponge and soak up any knowledge they come across, other people are like... err, well some colorful images come to mind but let's just say that they don't seem to learn anything new. if you're here and asking i'll have to assume you're not one of those types.

but the problem is that there are so many options it's a hard question to answer.

cmiller683
03-29-10, 10:24
For me, a lot of how-to information I gather via YouTube. Try downloading the Fast Video Download (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3590) for Firefox. This will allow you to download any video you want, and save it for later.

Get a good external hard drive, or a very large USB thumb drive, and store all your information on there. For written stuff, print it out. Books are a great source too. But a lot of things just need to be seen to be understood, and that's why YouTube is great.

tc556guy
12-08-10, 18:40
I collect books and have a thumbdrive with 16 gigs of collected survival PDFs.
edit:
If you want a single book with some decent info, check the stickied library thread. I have a post there with a lot of links. Look for the Doom Guide. Its a good all-in-one book with a wide range of info.

2nd edit:

While you can't predict what issues we would face, if its only a power outtage, i'd think that many people here would have alternatives to the power grid that they could use to power up laptops to access stuff on digits.

Legion_Prime
12-09-10, 16:55
I too have a huge documents folder with stuff from just random FM/TM type stuff I saved because I could (Never know when some obscure reference will come in handy) to the where there is no doctor PDF that was mentioned earlier. That being said, I HATE reading off a screen. For just a book I'm reading I can deal with it, with anything else like a textbook or something I'm using for reference it's untenable. NOTHING beats a finger in the page you're on while quickly flipping back to a bookmark.
I think some copy places will print from PDF's but last I checked copy places charge like 10 cents a page, which with some PDF's adds up FAST! Does anyone have any recommendations for places that can get this done cheaper or should I just start dropping the $10-20 getting one section printed out a week?

Outlander Systems
12-09-10, 17:36
Thanks to the internet, print encyclopedias are damned near free.

500grains
12-09-10, 17:37
The only issue would be if there was an EMP which took out my PC, generator, etc. .

I wonder how the eotechs will do.

BLINDFIRE
01-23-11, 01:47
I recognize that this is an old thread but I found something very interesting and thought it would be good to share. Durring Katrina, with all the vandalism and everything that went on one of the very few public buildings that did not report any damage from vandals or likewise was the library. You can find tons of info at the libraries, sewage scheamatics (for underground travel if needed) and many other things.