PDA

View Full Version : Cetme HK-G3 Clones?

Shihan
04-24-07, 01:20
Anyone have any experience with the Century Arms version?

TOrrock
04-24-07, 08:06
Very, very, very hit and miss. Century was known to grind the bolts on these things to get them to headspace (bad).

If I really wanted a CETME clone, I'd buy a kit with the new US barrel, a quality receiver (from the guys who do the PTR G3 clone), and have a smith put it together.

Century Arms has done a fantasic job turning people off from good weapon systems like the FAL, G3, and AK because people buy them for the price point and get piece of shit that then colors their perception of the rifle forever, regardless of who built it.

cmdr249
04-24-07, 12:39
Excellent point, Templar.

I think the biggest thing you have to look at with a Century CETME/G3 is:

1. Check the feel of the charging/cocking handle - if it is extremely tight or very difficult you may have a lack of bolt gap problem
2. Look at the bolt head/inspect it to see if has been ground
3. Learn how to check bolt gap - even though it may not be completely clean and not 100% accurate, by knowing how to check gap and have a set of feeler gauges with you when you look at the rifle at a show or shop.

While a ground bolt head isn't good, if you still have "proper" gap you may still have a salvagable rifle. Sets of +4 rollers are cheap as well to help fix the gap issue. Not the best but salvagable...

From all I'm hearing the PTR-91s are good rifles from the start - custome service used to reportedly be questionable but I believe management/produciton has changed.

rhino
04-24-07, 13:05
If I really wanted a CETME clone, I'd buy a kit with the new US barrel, a quality receiver (from the guys who do the PTR G3 clone), and have a smith put it together.

So . . . do you have a rough estimate of how much a complete rifle would cost going with your suggestion?

The primary attractive feature of the Century Arms CETMEs is their price, but if they're doing bad things (like you mentioned) to get them to run, then it's a great example of false economy. Of the people I know in person who have them, all have found them to be reliable and reasonably accurate. I will rethink buying one now, or at least follow the advice as to what to check before buying one.

TOrrock
04-25-07, 17:56
Well, going that route, you would probably end up spending $800-$1000 or so.

Not cheap, but it would be a great rifle.

You might also look at the factory PTR series. I really hate to say it but most decent 7.62 NATO rifles are going to start at nearly $1K.

rhino
04-25-07, 19:33
Yeah, at that price point it make sense to just get an HK91 clone or an FAL.

Turbo Supra
05-02-07, 10:56
I got lucky and bought a CAI "Centurion 2000" back in 1999 or so. This was CAI's attempt at a nicer HK clone. I paid $800 for it. It was VERY reliable, but like many CAI guns, whoever welded the cocking tube was cross-eyed... :rolleyes: The front sight was WAY off.

Long story short, after sending the gun to Jayson at IGF and dropping over $400 on refinishing and sight re-timing, the gun turned out beautiful and accurate:

http://www.imageviper.com/displayimage/70215/0/G3PIMPED.jpg

I sold the gun to finance a G3K project, which IGF also had a hand in. Started out with some PTR-91 parts, and BAM, my favorite .308 toy was born:

http://www.imageviper.com/displayimage/76151/0/HKPRO.jpg

In closing, I would say to skip the Century guns and start out with one that works well out of the box: The PTR-91. Worth every penny, and built like a tank.

baffle Stack
05-02-07, 14:03
Anyone have any experience with the Century Arms version?

Yup, it KBed in my friends hands. Only gun I've ever seen explode in real life. I would skip on it.