PDA

View Full Version : some Steyr Scout questions

mattjmcd
03-24-10, 11:36
I have a variety of questions, as this gun is now on my short list of project platforms.

1- I ASSume the rifle is accurate. Is this correct?

2- does the accuracy hold up? I know the rifle is not meant for high volumes of fire, but I would not want to get into a rifle that loses zero after a dozen rounds or so.

3- are there any small bits on the rifle that tend to break or wear prematurely?

4- any oddball considerations that one wouldn't think of until they actually got the rifle? Steyr quirks..?

Revierler
03-24-10, 15:13
I have 2 steyr Scouts - 1 in .223 with a 4.5-14x Leupold VXIII scope and one .308 in Jeff Cooper package configuration.

The Bipod is not perfect, but it works and I easily placed pinpoint accurate hits out to 200 yards with my .223 Scout when hunting for roe deer.

A dozen shots will not harm the functionality. It may affect accuracy, but the rifle should stay within 1-1.5 MOA. My .308 shoots better than I can (sub 1,5 MOA groups with the 2.5x scope - teh reticle is rather massive!), even when hot. After all it was not built for extended volumes of fire, although it can be done with it. In Kosovo the Scout served as a light sniper rifle in the KLF, whatever this may mean.

I do not think that there are any parts that are more prone to break than on other rifles. The barrel should last very long, as it is made out of Böhler Rasant steel. Once broken in the mechanism works like oiled glass. It has 2 levels of safety. Level one blocks the trigger, level 2 also locks the firing pin. The Trigger is great IMHO.

I found Warne Maxima rings to go perfectly with the Scout.

It is a short package with a lot of punch, considering that you can have up to 20 rounds in the rifle at once (10 in the magazine and another 10 in the magazine in the buttstock).

subzero
03-24-10, 17:59
First off, if you haven't read all the stuff here, you should: http://www.steyrscout.org/project.htm

My time with a Scout was short, but I did note a few things.

The front and rear folding sights are..delicate. They're clearly not meant for any kind of real use. While 99% of users will ignore them completely, they are a rather weak point.

The original thin barrel would start stringing after 5-10 shots if you didn't give it a bit to cool down. It heats up fast, but cools quickly as well. Supposedly the newer models have slightly thicker barrels.

The bipod pivot pins are known to be delicate, but the above link has info on how they can be fixed.

Losing zero is more of a function of scope mounting. My setup used a Burris IER Scout scope and Leupold QRW rings. No issue.

I found the whole Ching Sling thing to be kinda ungainly. I would have much preferred a VCAS mounted to the side rather than the bottom. That's more me than anything else, as I find sling swivels on the bottom of a rifle nearly useless.

Revierler
03-25-10, 01:32
I never thought of the backup sights... probably because they are blocked by the scope mount on my .223, which I use mainly.
It is correct that the newer barels are slightly heavier. As I noted, it was not constructed for higher volumes of fire.

Any scout you buy now (except on the secondary market ones) already have the improved bipod pivot.

I use a standard 2 point sling, never tried the ching sling.

The Dumb Gun Collector
03-25-10, 02:26
1- I ASSume the rifle is accurate. Is this correct?

Extremely.

2- does the accuracy hold up? I know the rifle is not meant for high volumes of fire, but I would not want to get into a rifle that loses zero after a dozen rounds or so.

The rifle holds up fine. Most of the talk about it losing zero is speculative. Real life reports of this being a problem (that aren't being thrown around in a debate about the cost of the rifle) are minimal.

3- are there any small bits on the rifle that tend to break or wear prematurely?

Bipod is not a military use item. Everything else is very durable.

4- any oddball considerations that one wouldn't think of until they actually got the rifle? Steyr quirks..?

You will want to mount something on the accessory rail but there isn't anything that fits. The mags can fall out of the butstock in some older models when firing.

Revierler
03-25-10, 02:53
The mags faloing out were mainly a problem with the .376 Dragoon rifles, but that is out of production now. I never had a mag fall out of the buttstock compartment (on the .308 and .223)

The rail on the underside of the stock is a UIT rail, but I couldn´t find anything that would make sense and uses a UIT rail.