PDA

View Full Version : Hornady 5.56 TAP Issues

blacklabel66
03-24-10, 15:27
After thoroughly looking through Molon's review on this ammo and various other 75gr 5.56 clones I ordered some on the new Hornady TAP 5.56 75gr from Ammo To Go. When I received it I looked it over and saw mine was in Lake City cases instead of Hornady, and it didn't look sealed. I pulled the bullet and it wasn't sealed either.

Not long after-wards I bought some HSM 5.56 75gr and it is in WCC cases instead of the HSM cases like in the review and it has sealed primers but not a sealed bullet.

Now about a month ago I decided to try some of the BVAC 5.56 75gr that Cheaper Than Dirt sells. It was in LC cases with a sealed primer and bullet, with cannelure. A day ago I bought some more and it has no sealant on the primer, or the bullet and the bullet does not have a cannelure.

I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed this as I feel kinda cheated. Did the entire bullet making industry just run of sealant at the same time? Or are they cutting corners but not cutting cost? This is a little weird. :confused:

C4IGrant
03-24-10, 19:22
After thoroughly looking through Molon's review on this ammo and various other 75gr 5.56 clones I ordered some on the new Hornady TAP 5.56 75gr from Ammo To Go. When I received it I looked it over and saw mine was in Lake City cases instead of Hornady, and it didn't look sealed. I pulled the bullet and it wasn't sealed either.

Not long after-wards I bought some HSM 5.56 75gr and it is in WCC cases instead of the HSM cases like in the review and it has sealed primers but not a sealed bullet.

Now about a month ago I decided to try some of the BVAC 5.56 75gr that Cheaper Than Dirt sells. It was in LC cases with a sealed primer and bullet, with cannelure. A day ago I bought some more and it has no sealant on the primer, or the bullet and the bullet does not have a cannelure.

I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed this as I feel kinda cheated. Did the entire bullet making industry just run of sealant at the same time? Or are they cutting corners but not cutting cost? This is a little weird. :confused:

I can only speak for the Hornady T2, but they commonly use LC brass.

C4

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-24-10, 19:29

Any details on the BVAC ammo? How did it compare to the Hornady.

Kind of maddening when stuff gets swtiched around like that. Never know what you are getting.

blacklabel66
03-25-10, 18:58
Well I e-mailed BVAC and they got back to me the next day. Basically they said that because of the crazy demand for ammo they cannot get a hold of anymore cannelured bullets, or sealant for right now. They are still making the same ammo just using different bullets and minus the sealants. I assume the same for Hornady and HSM. Would have been nice if they made this known though.

As far as how the bvac looks, it looks fine. The first batch looks exactly like the HSM 5.56 TAP clone. As for as being loaded as hot I have no idea since i do not have a chrono, but I could not feel a noticeable difference in recoil or muzzle blast between them. Seems to be pretty good ammo.