PDA

View Full Version : Any AFROTC people members here?

Jer
03-24-10, 18:06
Just curious because I'm considering it. I have a few questions and am wondering if there's some members here who can speak to this and help field my questions. Thanks!

BrigandTwoFour
03-24-10, 18:10
I graduated from AFROTC in 2006, if that's any help to you.

Gentoo
03-24-10, 18:16
What are your questions?

Jer
03-24-10, 18:48
I'll start with my situation: I'm 32 years old and married. I've done a lot of things but most were in an attempt to make an obscene amount of money and retire early and coast through life. In the last couple of years I've come to the realization that while I've had a good time I really haven't done anything of significance with this life. I mean, I have a few stories here and there but nothing to really hang my hat on. I've considered LE and have even interviewed with a few agencies and was looking pretty good prior to all of the hiring freezes of a year or so ago. Now that departments are starting to hire I'm seeing that the hiring pool is pretty deep so those with military are getting some bonus points for the hiring. Not complaining at all, just stating the obvious. I have also considered the military here and there over the years and was even close to doing the AFROTC program out of high school but life lead me a different route. I have always thought about military but life just kind of got away from me over the years.

So, I had a nice conversation with a gentleman the other day that was in the Navy. We talked about lots of things and after a lengthy Q&A he suggested I look into the ROTC program with the AirForce. He had lots of reasons why that would be a good fit for me and it really does seem to make sense for me so I'm gathering information. I wasn't aware I could even qualify for this at this point in life but he says that I should be able to do so up to 35 years old.

My questions are, what is the age cutoff? He said that I would also get paid at the level of E5 while I'm going to school to get my degree. Is this the case and about how much is that these days? He seemed to think it would be about $2k or so. Another friend is also in the Airforce and he said that since I'm married I will get a sum of about $1,000 for home for this area and said that officers might even be higher. He said that there is also some PT and classes I will have to attend while I'm going to go to school as well. I guess one of his good friends went the ROTC route and he's going to put him in touch with me but I wanted to get some more opinions and answers and was hoping to find some help here. I'm also making the decision for two so I was also curious from those who have done it what this meant for their relationship. My enlisted buddy said he's seen his wife a total of 18 days this first year and it's been a little tough.

So, this is an open dialog about AFROTC and how it would pertain to me based on the few things I've stated. I will have more questions as the conversation unfolds but this is a good starting point.

Gentoo
03-24-10, 19:22
ROTC is really geared for kids that are attending school full time and have lots of spare time. Not saying you can't do it as a married adult with a job, but it would be alot more difficult. There is more to it than just showing up for your .mil science classes. They have drill, PT, practices, etc scattered throughout the week, and don't forget the summer training. If you are trying to work while doing this you will run into problems sooner or later either with your cadre or your job. Not being employed while doing ROTC makes it a hell of a lot easier. I think the Navy guy was referring to the stipend, which you only get if you are contacted.

I don't know the current age cutoff, but I do know that anything over 30 requires a waiver. You are more likely to get a waiver if you major in aerospace engineering than if you major in botany.

Also do realize that if you go all the way with this, you will be an Air Force officer... which means you go where the Air Force sends you. What does your wife think about getting shipped around the country every few years? Is she going to be OK when you TDY for a few weeks and leave her home by herself? You need to seriously discuss this with her. You have a house with a mortgage? What are you going to do with it? Have kids yet? This paragraph is applicable to any .mil service but one that people often overlook or gloss over.

One last point particular to the AF - get used to the statement 'if you aren't rated, you don't rate'. Fight officers (which you cannot be due to age) are treated differently from other officers. It can range from subtle to blatant. Some people don't really care and others simply cannot get over this point and it drives them up the wall. Keep that in mind and let your personality guide you there.

Jer
03-24-10, 19:33
I am currently not employed so it would be a full time devotion. She's aware we may be moving and I think may even welcome the change for a few years. She's a dental assistant so finding work if she wanted to wouldn't be too hard really. We've known each other for half of our lives so time apart wouldn't be life ending like young newlyweds. I'm not saying it wouldn't be a cake walk but the honeymoon is over if you know what I mean. Lol

Left Sig
03-24-10, 20:12
I went to school with a lot of AFROTC guys. Several were in my fraternity, including two former roommates.

Seemed like the AF mostly wanted Engineering students, so your choice of degree, and the programs you are able to get admitted to might affect your chances.

By and large, the AF ROTC guys were the most low key, and least gung-ho of the services. They also had a reputation for being the most book-smart and lacking in practical skills of the services. But that follow the Engineer thing. I'm an Engineer so I'm just being honest.

Navy was in the middle, and the Marine guys were over the top. I mean comically gung-ho in a good way. Didn't know too many Army ROTC guys though.

Personally, if I were to have done it, I would have gone with the Navy.

Edited add:

No offense intended to AFROTC guys or engineers, just calling it like I and others saw it.

BrigandTwoFour
03-24-10, 20:38
The commissioning cut off for the Air Force is 35 years old. Beyond that, and you are not eligible for commissioning.

Have you already completed a four year degree? If so, then you cannot compete through AFROTC (four year program....three years with some exceptions).

If you already have your bachelor's, then you will have to compete for OTS, which is an entirely different ball game (though...in most people's opinion, tends to produce the best officers). OTS, however, has the lowest acceptance rate, and a lot of preference is given to those who are already enlisted and have completed their degrees. To get this far, at your age, you're going to have to have something the Air Force wants- and that means a high level skill (engineering, computer science, etc)

Gentoo is right as far as rated officers go. You won't be one. Pilots tend to get their way, all the time. It's the pilots, and then everyone else. My particular career field (nuclear weapons) is kind of its own little community, though.

I would highly recommend that you contact the closest AFROTC detachment and talk to their cadre. They will be able to answer most of your questions about the process. If you want to ask about life in the Air Force, or cadet life, I can definitely help you out.,

Jer
03-24-10, 20:45
To touch on a couple points: not currently employed & no secondary education after high school. I went to real estate school and mortgage broker school but neither of those count. Just good information to have for real estate investment. I'm a fairly intelligent individual so I know I have a lot to offer the Air Force. Just need to figure out which path would best serve the Air Force & myself.

Left Sig
03-24-10, 20:56
To touch on a couple points: not currently employed & no secondary education after high school. I went to real estate school and mortgage broker school but neither of those count. Just good information to have for real estate investment. I'm a fairly intelligent individual so I know I have a lot to offer the Air Force. Just need to figure out which path would best serve the Air Force & myself.

What do you plan on majoring in for the bachelor's degree, and what kind of program do you think you can get accepted to? That's the biggest variable here.

Jer
03-24-10, 21:14
What do you plan on majoring in for the bachelor's degree, and what kind of program do you think you can get accepted to? That's the biggest variable here.

Don't know and don't know. That's something I need to figure out. I'm pretty flexible so that's some of the input I'm looking for here. If there's a short list that the Air Force prefers or puts me in a better position then those are some of the details I would like to make my decision with. I'm really at the beginning of the process here am just gathering facts.

Smuckatelli
03-24-10, 21:14
You should probably look at this a little closer.

This is all my opinion............

You're 32...your 'peers' would be 19 in the program. I'm guessing that you will need the Air Force to pay for all of the school. From a recruiting perspective, you unfortunately don't look very attractive. You are already married, your cost to the Air Force is a lot more than your peers. The Air Force might be able to squeeze 4-6 years out of you after you get your degree.....by that time you'll be 40-42. There is a good probability that you will have physical problems that the other Lts won't get until they are Majs.

I wish you luck, hopefully you can get in.

Left Sig
03-24-10, 21:54
Don't know and don't know. That's something I need to figure out. I'm pretty flexible so that's some of the input I'm looking for here. If there's a short list that the Air Force prefers or puts me in a better position then those are some of the details I would like to make my decision with. I'm really at the beginning of the process here am just gathering facts.

Don't take this the wrong way, but choosing a degree program because of what the AF wants, rather than what you are capable of and interested in is asking for trouble.

Every AF ROTC cadet (and officer) I have ever known was enrolled in or completed a technical degree - EE, ME, CS, etc. That's what the AF seems to prefer. They might also be interested in Supply Chain and Logistics degrees as well. I'm not saying that's all they want, but it was very obvious from the outside that technical degrees carried a lot of weight.

If you are interested in pursuing a technical degree, I can advise you on that.

The other branches are less technically oriented to varying degrees. The Navy is still pretty technical, whereas the Army and Marines seem to look more at leadership ability and less a specific degrees. I knew a guy with a Fine Arts degree in Sculpting who was a Captain in the Army and a tank commander in Gulf War I.

Have you thought about what kind of job you want to do in the Air Force? Ground crew command, maintenance command, procurement, logistics, air traffic control, etc.?

jason
03-25-10, 14:06
Isn't the maximum commissioning age set forth by the Air Force currently 35? Seems as if you are currently 32 without any part of your degree completed it wouldn't be feasible to be commissioned by your 35th birthday.