PDA

View Full Version : Choosing the correct 4x BDC ACOG model...any help? Im exhausted.

BaileyMoto
03-24-10, 19:30
I have on order a 14.5" LMT and am in the process of deciding which ACOG to stick on top of it. With that said, one of the many reasons I have chosen the ACOG is due to its BDC reticle. I am open to several reticles, including the crosshair, donut, triangle, and chevron. But, the problem is, Trijicon designs some for 20" carry handles, 20" flat tops, and even 14.5" M4's. Some of the M4 models are based on the 62gr bullet, while others are based on the 55gr. Trijicon doesn't give much info on their site in regards to stats for each model..making me do research on the web, which has been conflicting at best.

So...any help? I think I would like to stick with a 55gr BDC, as the ammo is more readily available, but I havent ruled out the 62gr BDC. Are the differences between the 2 even much to gripe about?

I will be using this mostly for small game hunting, paper punching within 100 yards, gongs up to 500 yards (further if possible) and perhaps self defense (not sure that it will replace my shotgun for that). Mostly, this will be a 300 yard and under rifle.

Belmont31R
03-24-10, 19:52
Either way its going to be close enough you wont notice. Different loads, and different weapons will all produce enough variance that the BDC is more of an "aid" than something that is supposed to be precise.

Mjolnir
03-25-10, 10:56
Try the TA31 F-G which is a 4x model with the chevron in GREEN as opposed to red. The savvy approach would be to either order this with the RMR (RM04-08) 7 MOA mini reflex sight that sits atop it. Shop around online. There are deals to be had. Optics Planet is one such place.

joe-bananas
03-25-10, 19:32
I've been happy with the TA-11 series. It seems to have better eye relief than my TA-31. I don't miss the 1/2 magnification. If anything, it gives me more field of view. I no longer use the TA-31, oddly enough. It sits in its case in the cupboard nearly new. The TA-11 is the go-to optic for my precision rifle.

edwin907
03-25-10, 21:20
http://bellsouthpwp.net/e/d/edwin907/MRP-22a.jpg

TA31F, chevron, calibrated for M855 from a 14.5" barrel.
BDC works well, a fantastic sight if you don't mind short eye relief.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-26-10, 01:11
I have a TA11H in red and I really like it, outside of it being too bright sometimes.

There is a post somewhere over on TOS that lays out the barrel and round used for the various BDCs. Don't have a link, sorry.

JSantoro
03-26-10, 13:41
So...any help? I think I would like to stick with a 55gr BDC, as the ammo is more readily available, but I havent ruled out the 62gr BDC. Are the differences between the 2 even much to gripe about?

Not significant, especially to the distance you're talking about.

I reeeeeeeally like the green horseshoe reticle (you can see through the reticle pattern, compared to a chevron), and am a big fan of the TA11H-G, which is set for flat-tops: http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=769&back_row=3&categoryID=3

I've been toying with the red reticle version of this in the form of the Squad Day Optic (SDO) -- http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=862&back_row=3&categoryID=3) -- which is designed to be used with both long- and short-barrel SAWs, on the M16A4s and M4s, and it works pretty damned well. Between the green reticle and the extra inch of eye relief compared to the 4x variants, picking up targets is noticeably faster and you don't really lose much of anything in the way of magnification.

Tape over part or most of the fiber-optic, otherwise the reticle blooms with light and appears larger and fuzzier than you want for precision.