PDA

View Full Version : Interesting rifle/shotgun

tpd223
03-24-10, 23:17
Rossi just announced that their centerfire single shot break-barrel rifles will now be available with interchangeable barrels for .22 rimfire, shotgun, muzzleloader, and other centerfire rifle rounds.

I'm thinking a kit could easily be made with a centerfire rifle/ 12 gauge combo that would be very useful, or whatever combo you find best for your needs an AO.

I have bought two of their long guns before, a .22/.410 combo for my kids to learn on and a .243 youth model for my daughter to deer hunt with. Both guns work great for what I need them to do, and I have had no issues with them at all.

I'm thinking about a .308 youth model and then buying a 12 gauge/.50cal muzzleloader set-up for myself.

http://www.thetacticalwire.com/story/214635

MIAMI - The new Rossi Wizard's revolutionary stock design allows the user to shoot with every popular caliber imaginable, plus all shotgun gauges, two muzzleloaders, .22 rimfire and .22 rimfire magnum. This ingenious system allows the shooter to transfer any barrel quickly and easily without tools. It is like having 18 rifles and shotguns in one. The Wizard is the year round solution for every hunting and shooting application - truly a gun for all seasons.

To start a Wizard collection simply choose a Wizard rifle, offered in .22-250, .223, .243, .270, .30-06 or .308 and then add other popular caliber barrels to the collection as desired. Rifle barrel options include .17 HMR, .22LR, .22 Mag., .22-250 Rem, .270 Win., .30-06 SPRG, .308 Win., .38-357 Mag., .44 Mag., .45-70 Gov. and 7.62x39. Muzzleloader barrel options include .45 and .50. Shotgun barrel options include .410 bore, 20 gauge and 12 gauge. The Wizard's barrel measures 23 inches with an overall length of 38.5 inches and weighs seven pounds.

The Wizard is also offered in a youth version with starter model available in .223, .243 or .308. The youth model barrel length measures 22 inches long, with an overall length of 36.5 inches and weighs 6.25 pounds.

Features for standard and youth models include cushioned recoil pad with spacer for reduced recoil, uniquely contoured Monte Carlo stock with curved cheek rest and fiber optic front sight for fast, easy target acquisition. Available in blued finish in either an attractive hardwood or camouflage stock with carbon steel barrel and receiver.

The Rossi revolution of firearm design and manufacture started with the founding of the company in 1889 by Amadeo Rossi. For the past 120 years, the tradition of innovation grew along with the company and the Rossi family. The Rossi name represents a piece of firearms history and a tradition of excellence. 

In 2008, Rossi production was acquired by Forjas Taurus S.A. Rossi is the industry-leading manufacturer of single-shot, matched pairs, muzzleloaders, rifles and shotguns. The acquisition integrates perfectly with the quality of firearms currently produced by Taurus International and will expand the ability to produce quality firearms at reasonable prices as well as dedication to creating new and exciting Rossi products. Today, a Rossi firearm still features the same dedication and innovation in every firearm. Now, as part of Taurus International, Rossi looks forward to providing you with the next generation of great firearms.

The complete line of Rossi firearms features the exclusive Taurus Security System, which utilizes a key to lock the firearm and offers additional safety for youth. All Rossi firearms also incorporate a transfer bar mechanism and a manual safety on a single shot, break-open design in which the breech cannot be closed or opened if the hammer is cocked.

Rossi is proud to offer a free One-year NRA Junior Membership with the purchase of any Rossi youth model. It is recommended that children always be accompanied by an adult when shooting. For more information about Rossi Firearms, a Division of BrazTech International, visit www.rossiusa.com.

fixer
03-24-10, 23:36
Rossi has offered combination of their single shot break action with one rifle barrel and one shot barrel for many years.

not sure if i've ever seen one in stock in a store, or one in person that wasn't in Rossi's booth at the SHOT show.

don't think i ever stopped to check out the feel of the action and trigger... and when i did look at them, i wasn't sure how available additional barrels would be.

at least with a T/C Contender or Encore you know you can get parts or a barrel in a different caliber from a variety of sources.

and i've heard some people say that the Rossi single shots felt heavy and handled horribly. and that killed the idea of ever getting one without handling it.

on top of all that, Rossi's revolvers never felt very confidence inspiring... every time i ever looked at them i always quickly put it down thinking to my self "ohh my gawd. this ain't what i want to count on to save my bacon." :(

tpd223
03-27-10, 16:53
As noted I have one of the combo sets, in .22/.410, and a youth .243 rifle, both are decent guns, especially considering the price I paid for them.

What is new here is that Rossi is advertising that one can buy barrels one at a time after buying the base gun, in the past one had to buy the set together and extra barrels weren't available.

Just sayin I like the concept and think it might be a decent idea if well executed.

fixer
03-28-10, 01:54
well... you say they work great and that you've had no issues. no argument with that, but i'm curious if "no issues" means simply no MECHANICAL issues, or if you find that the handling of the rifles is as good as it could be or not.

i suppose this is something that's very subjective... like some people don't object to heavy triggers and others want a clean light trigger. some will find a shotgun or rifle does or does not handle well and others might find the same gun clumsy.

it seems that if the foreeend is cut for a universal barrel diameter and the bore varies...then the barrel wall thickness and thus the weight of the barrel and balance of the rifle will vary.

tpd223
03-28-10, 20:54
Balance wise they are rear heavy, as one would expect from a single shot rifle, no weight to speak of up front.

They work mechanically, and shoot decently (my daughter can keep groups at the 100 at less than 2" with the .243 shooting over a ruck from prone, not bad for a break-barrel).