PDA

View Full Version : Ride Alongs

mnagant762
03-25-10, 04:44
Do any police departments do ride alongs anymore, or have they stopped due to liability reasons?

EATLEAD
03-25-10, 04:57
Most of my local police departments still do ride alongs. Most require a signed waiver/release form and along with that a few require background investigations also. The best way to find out is call and ask. Tell them you are interested in a career in law enforcement and would like to do a few ride alongs with there various departments and divisions to get a better understanding of what they do. Hope this helps.

HowardCohodas
03-25-10, 05:04
You did not say what the goal of the ride-along is, so here are the choices available in my area that might also be available in yours.
Ride Along
Citizens Police Academy
Police Auxiliary

Most of the information was available on our PD's website. Check yours as well.

mnagant762
03-25-10, 05:16
Thanks guys, the local PD is kinda small only about 12 LEO's and they never answer the damn phone. I work at night so it makes it kinda hard to get out there before the tumbleweeds start rolling.

Count Chocula
03-25-10, 11:22
Your county's Sheriff's Dept might be bigger. Don't know how far the nearest precinct is to you but they may be more accommodating.

Naxet1959
03-25-10, 13:10
I did one last year. Sign a waiver and off you go. 0 to 130 in WAY TOO short of a time. My blood pressure was shooting up instantly. Topping hills, rounding curves in pursuit of speeders at those speeds was a rush. Glad I don't do that for a living; thanks to the guys who do!

mnagant762
03-25-10, 15:16
The Sherriff's around here mostly do court stuff, the local PD is only about 2 miles from my house and the State Police are only about 7 miles or so north. I checked their web site this morning and there was no mention or ride alongs. I deal with LEO's quite a lot with my job so I'll just ask one of the ones from the other towns I'm always in. Now a trip around York City in a squad car that might be interesting.:)

Count Chocula
03-25-10, 16:48
Ahhh, I have heard that the Sheriff's Dept on the east coast mainly handle the jail and court. Here on the west coast we have pretty big depts. Mine has about 300patrol Deputies, and about the same amount of Corrections Officers.

Good luck with the ride along and have fun. I am taking a buddy on one this Saturday night.:D

Rider79
03-25-10, 17:01
The Sherriff's around here mostly do court stuff, the local PD is only about 2 miles from my house and the State Police are only about 7 miles or so north. I checked their web site this morning and there was no mention or ride alongs. I deal with LEO's quite a lot with my job so I'll just ask one of the ones from the other towns I'm always in. Now a trip around York City in a squad car that might be interesting.:)

York, PA?

NCPolice555
03-25-10, 18:38
Here in NC we did them, had about 16 guys on shift, did a couple myself, your not supposed to get in chases or anything like that, but what was I supposed to do? Dump off the corner to hang out Cracky Jack to help deal, while I go chase a car?

Its actually part of the class certification as well that you must ride so many hours, and we had guys have thier dads do ride alongs as well, just gotta watch out for the badge chasers who try to get on board

mnagant762
03-25-10, 18:53
Yes York,PA. I live about 15 miles south of there in a nice quite hole in the wall.

Rider79
03-25-10, 18:57
Yes York,PA. I live about 15 miles south of there in a nice quite hole in the wall.

I grew up in Mechanicsburg, I'm sure there's plenty of departments around there that will do ride alongs.

DeltaG21
03-25-10, 23:09
Here in Florida, most departments have some form of ride along program. In fact I had a rider with me two weeks ago. He was a recent academy graduate, but we get criminal justice majors from the university also.

bkb0000
03-25-10, 23:16
as a criminal justice major myself, i did about a billion rides.. several with each major department, and one each with a lot of the smaller satellite depts. only ran into one that didn't usually give rides, but they let me go as a student.

Stickman
03-26-10, 01:38
I work a cesspool, people who do ridealongs with me are usually running at points in the shift, as well as watching me draw pistol/ carbine. Homicide, armed robbery, suicide, shots fired, and similar calls are the norm. Only once have I ever had a less than eventful ridealong.

Find an Officer you know, and go from there. Most LEO don't want someone riding with them if they don't know who they are. I've had members of the HRC demand to ride with me (by name) a few times, but most people are decent and have a good time.

mnagant762
03-26-10, 03:11
Thanks for the input guys, I'll figure something out I know a bunch of guys that are retired LEO's but not really any that are on the job now, maybe they can set me up with something. It'll just cost me money because they all work at the local gun shop and I can't go in that place without spending money. :D Again thanks.

bkb0000
03-26-10, 03:18
damn, stick.. can i come ride with you?

ZDL
03-26-10, 03:25

mnagant762
03-26-10, 03:31
I really want to go and the danger don't bother me so the waiver is no big deal. I have to go through a very thorough background check every year for my license for work so that's not an issue either. I have the utmost respect for LEO's and what they do day in and day out and would someday like to join their ranks if the hiring freeze ever gets lifted.

cobra90gt
03-26-10, 05:10
FWIW - Don't take it personally if the cop you are riding shotgun with doesn't seem overtly "happy" to have you in their patrol car with you.

A good number of cops don't enjoy having a ride along with them (for whatever reason, can't cover them all here). It's just the nature of the beast - so, if they aren't chatting it up with you like you would with your best friend, don't take offense.

Imagine having a stranger sitting next to you in your "office" all day. It's a little awkward. Just saying...in case you get the "this cop I'm riding with doesn't seem to like me very much" feeling. :D

Have fun.

mnagant762
03-26-10, 20:17
I'm used to people not liking me it's part of my job:D

Safetyhit
03-26-10, 21:43
Fascinating concept. Can't really imagine asking to do so here, though I do know a couple guys in the department. But what would be my reasoning not being an LEO candidate? Overall relations and understanding perhaps?

Dare I ask, or would it come off as dopey? Sadly, here in NJ anyhow, I think so. Have to pass.

ZDL
03-26-10, 23:22

chadbag
03-26-10, 23:25
I never really thought about it. Have several LEO here in the neighborhood (marked cars) (plus a bunch of detectives, a fed or two). Maybe some day I'll have to ask about it when time is not so short...

ST911
03-27-10, 15:22
My .02 on ride-along programs...

A well-supervised and structured ride-along program is a great PR tool for the LE agency. Done well, it's an outstanding and highly effective way to promote the department, muster support, and recruit future employees. Done poorly, it can cause great harm.

If you're a LEO in the position to do so, consider extending an open ride-along invitation to employees of local businesses and institutions strategically selected to produce good returns for you. Develop a plan for their ride to put your best foot forward, and select only those officers that can reliably do so to carry the riders.

If you're a community member wanting to ride, reach out to your local agency expressing an interest in learning how the department works, what the myths and realities of the job are, and how you can help muster support for the department and its mission.

Arrive promptly. Dress comfortably for prevailing weather conditions, but professionally. Business casual is a good choice. Listen much, speak when you have something intelligent to say or legitimate to ask. Do what you're told, when you're told.

I racked up a few hundred hours of ride alongs in high school and college, and owe many of my successes today to cops that took the time to mentor and teach. I also owe much to some clowns I rode with that only took the time to run their mouth about their admins and governments, show off, dodge calls, and validate stereotypes.

If you're a cop with a rider, accept the challenge of the opportunity, rather than seeing it as a chore.