PDA

View Full Version : Flashlight TailCap Issue

cmiller683
03-25-10, 10:08
For those of you who have never heard of this company, I recently purchased a Fenix LD20 this past May. I've been extremely satisfied with this light. It runs off two AA batteries, uses a Q5 LED, has a 180 lumen strobe function, 180 lumen turbo, an SOS function and three different powered functions. It can run from 1 hour to 25 hours, and is waterproof to a certain extent. Great light.

I primarily use it for personal defense, or rather, everyday use, as well as camping and hiking. Recently I have begun to have problems with the tailcap not functioning correctly. When it does work, I can only have one setting function properly. Other times, it will just refuse to work. Sometimes it will kick back in within an hour, other times, it's overnight. I found this out during a little over-night hike I did last week.

I removed the tail-cap and used a paper-clip to close the series, causing the flashlight to work properly. So I know for a fact it is the tail-cap. My question is, has anyone ever had this issue before? With a Fenix light, or any flashlight?

I use this light several times daily, but I can't believe I would have worn anything out in under a year. Any insight would be welcomed, as would any questions.

Thanks,

CMiller

Dennis
03-25-10, 10:45
Sounds like the retaining ring in the tailcap is loose. Unscrew the tailcap and look inside, then tighten the metal ring with two holes using a pair of ringsnap pliers or just needle nose pliers.

You can also fully unscrew the ring, and remove the switch and clean it up and check it out for functionality.

Dennis.

cmiller683
03-25-10, 11:16
Thank's Dennis, I figured it out. It didn't look all that dirty when I broke it down, but I cleaned it all anyways and it seems to function now. It just seems odd that it would start to act funny like that.

I know Fenix lights are made in China, so maybe that has something to do with it? And the whole light is sealed with O-rings, plus an O-ring inside to separate the switch and the batteries. Seems like it would seal up fine, but maybe not.

Hopefully this will fix it, and not be temporary. I'll be sure to keep yall updated.

CMiller

Dennis
03-25-10, 12:12
Was the ring loose? If so, that was probably the bulk of the issue. Also, the switch is NOT a super duper always works SF twisty tailcap and does need occasional PM just like any other complicated mechanical device.

Actually, even twisties need occasional PM as well.

Dennis.

cmiller683
03-27-10, 21:52
Everything was tightened down just fine. I took it apart and cleaned everything, and it worked properly once I re-assembled it. However, the next day, it's back to the same issue. I'm working on getting a new tail-cap, but I really want to have Fenix look into why the tail-cap has failed. Or maybe a 3rd party that knows what they're doing.

sonrider657
03-28-10, 12:23
I know Fenix lights are made in China, so maybe that has something to do with it?

There's your diagnosis.

Bimmer
03-28-10, 16:13
Everything was tightened down just fine. I took it apart and cleaned everything, and it worked properly once I re-assembled it. However, the next day, it's back to the same issue. I'm working on getting a new tail-cap, but I really want to have Fenix look into why the tail-cap has failed. Or maybe a 3rd party that knows what they're doing.

Fenix claims to have a decent warranty. I'd try to send it back. Failing that, I think they'll sell you just a new tailcap.

I've got a L2T, similar to your LD20. I love it. It's been perfect, so far. I can't figure out who to disassemble the tail cap to use the orange button, but this thread may have inspired me to try again.

As for Sunrider's derisive remark, I don't think he knows what he's talking about. Country of origin is hardly analagous to quality (or lack thereof). I've bought plenty of great "Made in China" stuff (like my LG plasma TV), and plenty of "Made in Germany" junk (like my AEG answering machine).

My understanding from this site and the candlepower forums is that Fenix has a good reputation for quality. I was impressed enough with my L2T to buy another as a gift for somebody else.

Bimmer

sonrider657
03-28-10, 17:19
Chinese goods have notoriously spotty quality. Your fenix light works great, the OP's crapped out. That's how it works.

If your TV fails, you won't die. If your weapon light fails, you might.

If you are using a flashlight for defensive purposes, buy a quality U.S. Made product and trust it ... or save 50 bucks and buy a chinese light and "hope" you got a good one.

Bimmer
03-28-10, 17:29
If you are using a flashlight for defensive purposes...

Not to worry, I have a Streamlight on my rifle. I assume that its guts came from China, or Taiwan, or Korea, or somewhere else. AFAIK, "Streamlight" batteries come from Japan.

For me, at least, the Fenix isn't a "weaponlight," it's just a flashlight (for camping, home impoverishment projects, getting the mail after dark, etc.).

Anyway, Fenix makes what neither Streamlight nor Surefire (nor anybody else that I can think of) does: a decent high-output AA-powered light.

I won't die if I can't watch TV, but I wouldn't get to watch much TV if I insisted on buying one made in the USA...

Bimmer

Lee Indy
03-28-10, 17:30
4sevens.com formerly the fenix store sells replacement parts but youll have to email them.

Bimmer
03-28-10, 17:44
www.fenix-store.com also sells tailcaps separately...

Lee Indy
03-28-10, 17:56
same place. he just has his own brand now