PDA

View Full Version : VA - Road rage dump truck VS pistol?!?! WTF?

Irish
03-25-10, 11:38
http://wtop.com/?nid=730&sid=1918912

DALE CITY, Va. -- Both drivers involved in a road rage duel on Interstate 95 during Tuesday afternoon's rush hour are being charged with trying to kill each other.
Virginia State Police Wednesday evening took dump truck driver James A. Bringham, 44, of Woodbridge, into custody. Police obtained a warrant against Bringham for attempted second-degree murder. Police previously charged Bringham with reckless driving.

Already charged with attempted second-degree murder is Gabriel Poventud, 25, of Woodbridge. He's also charged with child endangerment, use of a firearm in the commission of a felony, shooting a missile into an occupied vehicle and reckless use of a firearm.

Police say Poventud -- who allegedly fired 13 rounds -- had his 2-year-old daughter in his Jaguar during the road rage incident on southbound I-95.

This happened after Bringham, the driver of a 2007 Ford F550 dump truck, tried to merge into the southbound lanes of I-95 from Route 123, shortly after 4 p.m.

Police say the drivers then "began engaging with one another in an aggressive manner."

The dump truck struck the Jaguar twice.

Both vehicles ended up on the left shoulder of the highway, pinned against the Jersey wall. That's when Poventud got out of his car and started firing at the truck, police say.

The dump truck pulled away into traffic, but was struck far more than four times by the 13 rounds. No one was hurt by the gunfire.

"In that kind of traffic, to have somebody shoot upwards of 13 rounds at a moving vehicle, the fact that nobody was struck, no houses, no vehicles is somewhat miraculous," says Virginia State Police Lt. Danny Glick.

As Poventud followed Bringham on the right shoulder, a trooper stopped both drivers.

Police say they have no reports of other drivers or vehicles being struck by the gunfire.

Police say drivers should avoid engaging with aggressive drivers.

jaxman7
03-25-10, 11:48
Hmmm..... 9000 lb truck vs. 3500lb jaguar

NEVER bring a Jaguar to a dump truck fight! ; )

Brother Rat
03-25-10, 12:34
Good ole Dale Shitty:rolleyes:

John_Wayne777
03-25-10, 12:39
I guess I'm confused as to the chain of events that led to the guy in the Jaguar firing shots. Was he run off the road? Hit by the dump truck?

Irish
03-25-10, 12:52
I guess I'm confused as to the chain of events that led to the guy in the Jaguar firing shots. Was he run off the road? Hit by the dump truck?

My interpretation... dumptruck was merging, Jaguar was being an asshole and probably "blocking", dump truck hits Jag twice, both pull over and shots fired... quick & dirty read of the article.

Time to go make some money.

decodeddiesel
03-25-10, 12:57
So the dump truck driver rammed the jaguar with his dump truck, twice? Taken out of context, you're ****ing right that is attempted homicide! I would have been hard pressed not to have responded in kind by shooting to eliminate the threat.

Something just doesn't add up with this whole thing. I guess I am just not understanding what happened here.

Robb Jensen
03-25-10, 13:40
This is friggin' crazy. I was at work in Manassas that day but that whole incident happened about 1/2 mile from my house. I live about 200yds as the crow flies from 95.

SHIVAN
03-25-10, 13:49
Willing to wager the Jag was blocking a merge, and the truck driver had enough, so he just started coming over. From there I bet it escalated rather quickly.

LINK74
03-25-10, 13:56
More Jaguar related drama.

SC police: 71-year-old man in Jaguar robbed 4 banks to save his business, then killed himself

http://crimewatch.gaeatimes.com/2010/02/02/sc-police-71-year-old-man-in-jaguar-robbed-4-banks-to-save-his-business-then-killed-himself-9795/

The benefits to driving an old Chevy keep stackin' up!

woody d
03-25-10, 14:19
the driver of the Jag should have considered the kid in the car. if that was the case, then yeah, i would have fired up also. ive drove a dump truck when necessary for years, and people dont take into consideration how difficult it is to slow/stop one and it does get frustrating, so i can see both sides of the story

nickdrak
03-25-10, 14:33
Wasnt there, so I will leave it up to the folks involved, the witnesses, and the courts to work out, but....

I would assume that there had to be some kind of intent on the truck drivers behalf to kill/injure the Jaguar driver for him to be charged with att. murder, and the contact with his truck into the Jag not being just accidental.

Not sure exactly what transpired after the impact, but it seems reasonable that the Jag driver may have went over the line by firing 13 rounds at the truck driver instead of driving away, which would have been the better option with a child in the car.... Unless the Jag was disabled from the impact and the truck driver was still attempting to strike the disabled Jag with the child still inside???

This should be interesting to see how it plays out....

mnagant762
03-25-10, 15:05
I'm a little intrigued buy the shooting a missle into a vehicle charge, but I guess that goes along with threatining someone verbally being terroristic threats now.

citizensoldier16
03-25-10, 16:23
shooting a missile into an occupied vehicle :D

Too close for missiles, switching to guns.

VAKafir
03-25-10, 19:41
I'm a little intrigued buy the shooting a missle into a vehicle charge, but I guess that goes along with threatining someone verbally being terroristic threats now.

If I remember right, a couple of years ago a guy got charged with that on 66 for throwing his cup of coffee or Big Gulp, etc. at another driver during road rage. Keep thy projectiles within your car while transiting VA. FWIW

Avenger29
03-25-10, 20:22
More Jaguar related drama.

SC police: 71-year-old man in Jaguar robbed 4 banks to save his business, then killed himself

http://crimewatch.gaeatimes.com/2010/02/02/sc-police-71-year-old-man-in-jaguar-robbed-4-banks-to-save-his-business-then-killed-himself-9795/

The benefits to driving an old Chevy keep stackin' up!

I'm betting he was actually robbing the banks to keep the Jag fixed...

If I remember right, a couple of years ago a guy got charged with that on 66 for throwing his cup of coffee or Big Gulp, etc. at another driver during road rage. Keep thy projectiles within your car while transiting VA. FWIW

I can definitely see the point of a "missile into vehicle" charge, considering my father was very narrowly missed when some punks threw a rock through his windshield...they were in the back up a pickup truck in the opposite lane, driving down the highway at about 65mph or so, chucking rocks through people's windshields. The rock carried straight back through Dad's van and exited the window of one of the back doors...

JonnyVain
03-25-10, 20:26
My interpretation... dumptruck was merging, Jaguar was being an asshole and probably "blocking", dump truck hits Jag twice, both pull over and shots fired... quick & dirty read of the article.

Time to go make some money.

My interpretation too. I had this happen the other day. N and S bound lanes merge together to go east. I merged in from N and the guy merging behind me from S didn't like it. Tailed me and flashed his brights. I brake tapped him then trapped him behind a semi for a couple miles till I got off. Ass holes like that deserve to get hit by dump trucks.

JimmyB62
03-25-10, 20:43
My interpretation too. I had this happen the other day. N and S bound lanes merge together to go east. I merged in from N and the guy merging behind me from S didn't like it. Tailed me and flashed his brights. I brake tapped him then trapped him behind a semi for a couple miles till I got off. Ass holes like that deserve to get hit by dump trucks.

What a riveting account of your brilliance in traffic. And people wonder how this kind of shit happens.:rolleyes:

m4fun
03-25-10, 20:49
This is messed up - something I heard brought up was Jaguar driver in panic shot into dumptruck, which had stopped, in defense of his child. At least that is what his lawyer would say.

Boss Hogg
03-25-10, 20:49
Virginia doesn't take "throwing missiles at occupied vehicles" lightly. Some college kids were charge with pounding a Harrisonburg cruiser with snowballs. Felony.

Dienekes
03-25-10, 21:19
I've had a couple of "incidents" with truckers that I was hard pressed to keep my temper. Years ago I had a truck tailgate me VERY closely while driving a VW Rabbit with my toddler kids in the back seat. On that one I just got the hell away as fast as I could for the kids' sake, but to say I was "hot" was an understatement.

A few years ago I got run off the road in a similar fashion by a semi on a detour in the middle of nowhere. I bailed off the road to avoid being hit and then stayed on his 6. He got nervous and pulled into my hometown to call 911 on me. The cops came, talked to both of us, took info, and did nothing. Since I had done nothing except follow the guy they had nothing on me--but neither did they do anything to him other than delay his trip for an hour or so. When interviewed they came up with my CCW (a 442 in my pocket) but nothing actionable as it stayed in my pocket.

We've also had a few cases out here in this flyover state of semis rear-ending line of stopped cars on I-80 going full out and killing 3-4 people. The last couple of those were prosecuted but even convicted of negligent homicide, got off lighter than they should have. It's not funny.

All I want is to be left alone on the road, which ought to be easy as there are more antelope than people in the whole state, but apparently that's a lot to ask from some.

I now carry an SKS in the trunk as you really have no idea what the hell people are going to do anymore.

hatt
03-25-10, 22:49
I've seen plenty of idiots driving cars that needed to be pulled out of the vehicle and kicked until you couldn't kick any more. I'm going with the dude in the Jag was another example.

hatt
03-25-10, 22:53
I've had a couple of "incidents" with truckers that I was hard pressed to keep my temper. Years ago I had a truck tailgate me VERY closely while driving a VW Rabbit with my toddler kids in the back seat. On that one I just got the hell away as fast as I could for the kids' sake, but to say I was "hot" was an understatement.

A few years ago I got run off the road in a similar fashion by a semi on a detour in the middle of nowhere. I bailed off the road to avoid being hit and then stayed on his 6. He got nervous and pulled into my hometown to call 911 on me. The cops came, talked to both of us, took info, and did nothing. Since I had done nothing except follow the guy they had nothing on me--but neither did they do anything to him other than delay his trip for an hour or so. When interviewed they came up with my CCW (a 442 in my pocket) but nothing actionable as it stayed in my pocket.

We've also had a few cases out here in this flyover state of semis rear-ending line of stopped cars on I-80 going full out and killing 3-4 people. The last couple of those were prosecuted but even convicted of negligent homicide, got off lighter than they should have. It's not funny.

All I want is to be left alone on the road, which ought to be easy as there are more antelope than people in the whole state, but apparently that's a lot to ask from some.

I now carry an SKS in the trunk as you really have no idea what the hell people are going to do anymore.
You could have just swallowed your pride and pulled over and let the truck pass and been done with it. I do it all the time if someone wants to get around me and making a pass isn't possible. Do it a whole lot up in Tennessee on winding roads in the snow.

decodeddiesel
03-25-10, 22:58
:D

Too close for missiles, switching to guns.

That was a LOL moment.

Don Robison
03-25-10, 23:18
It warms my heart everyday when I see DOT out there pulling dump trucks over. It's gotten ridiculous in our area. They come through town doing 65 in a 45, don't put the tarp over their load and throw rocks and there are a bunch of them working on a new construction project south of town.

EzGoingKev
03-26-10, 07:35
I'm betting he was actually robbing the banks to keep the Jag fixed...

It wouldn't surprise me.

The Extractor
03-26-10, 13:19
dump truck ? no... media spin yes. an f550 is only slightly larger than your standard ford 2-350 super duty pickup.... retarded.