PDA

View Full Version : Smith Vortex vs. AAC Blackout Comparison Video

87GN
03-25-10, 12:45
Blog post (http://vuurwapenblog.com/2010/03/24/smith-vortex-vs-aac-blackout/)

Youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5ih_c_4yo)

I’m not going to lie. Before I completed this test, I thought the AAC Blackout was all hype.

I thought AAC had engaged in shady marketing practices in order to show that their flash suppressor was superior to the competition, namely, the Smith Enterprises Vortex. I figured that I’d be spending $50 to pick up a Blackout and that I’d lose $10 reselling it after I did the comparison (maybe more than $10, if I said really bad things about it).

I was wrong.

Now, if you’ve seen my previous video comparing flash suppressors (or someone else’s comparison of popular muzzle devices), you know that the Vortex was the most effective, eliminating nearly all visible flash. So it’s not as if the Blackout could improve on the Vortex by a great amount – it’s not as if the Blackout could create a black hole or anything. But what the Blackout could do – and, in my limited testing, did do – was eliminate what tiny bit of flash the Vortex couldn’t.

Here’s today’s video. I start out with the A2 flash suppressor to establish a baseline for comparison. The weapon used is a Spike’s Tactical M4 LE, a 16″ barrel AR-15 with a carbine length gas system. The ammunition used is Federal XM193F, which is, I feel, a fairly common round.

I haven’t sat down at the bench to determine if either device has an effect on accuracy, but if you’re looking for a muzzle device that eliminates as much flash as possible, I recommend that you strongly consider the AAC Blackout.

Note – I apologize for the poor quality of the night vision video compared to the previous test. I think my video camera may have been damaged during a recent outing, and it’s not taking video as clearly as it used to, especially in low light. My view through the PVS-14 was perfect, but the camera couldn’t keep up.

Fontaine
03-25-10, 17:36
Thanks for this post!

You've really stepped up generating content as of late, good job and keep it up!

On a side note: if you use the suppressor mount version of the Blackout, eventual carbon build up on the device from use with a can eliminates the tuning fork ring. I used to obsessively clean the blackout after use with a can, but now I just leave the carbon on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oNhXP2ZUY0

Showbart
03-25-10, 18:01
Does the Vortex have an obvious ring too? It didn't in the older video, nor in any of the SEI vids, but it did a little in this vid. The only Vortex I heard in person a few years ago was in 308, I don't recall it ringing.

If not a permanent pinned setup I think that the helical twist of the Vortex is a definite advantage especially with high round count/matches/full auto.

Quiet-Matt
03-25-10, 18:25
The only time I hear the ring from my Vortex in when I send the bolt home on an empty chamber. I havn't noticed it while shooting. I suppose that its concealed by the BANG! :D

Showbart
03-25-10, 18:38
The Blackout had a pronounced ring.

militarymoron
03-25-10, 19:41
great vid, 87GN! the blackout definitely has a 'tuning fork' ring to it, especially when shooting. i just swapped a blackout out for a brakeout, but haven't shot it yet. no ring when closing the bolt, though. there was on the blackout.

KingsideRook
03-25-10, 22:41
great vid, 87GN! the blackout definitely has a 'tuning fork' ring to it, especially when shooting. i just swapped a blackout out for a brakeout, but haven't shot it yet. no ring when closing the bolt, though. there was on the blackout.

Really eager to hear a review on the Brakeout - it's potentially between that and the VLTOR VC-1 at the moment.

87GN
03-26-10, 11:27
No, it does not.

Skyyr
03-26-10, 11:28
Does the flash-suppressor ONLY version of the Blackout require a crush washer or peel washer? I can't find any definitive answer on it.

87GN
03-26-10, 11:28
No, it does not.

I answered so fast that I answered the question before you asked it, Skyyr!

Skyyr
03-26-10, 11:37
I answered so fast that I answered the question before you asked it, Skyyr!

Hahaha. Good stuff man!

How difficult is it to switch out flash hiders on one's own? I don't have any tools for doing so and I'm curious if it would be cheaper to pay a gunsmith to do it or if it's something I can do on my own. I'd be replacing the Smith Vortex with the Blackout.

87GN
03-26-10, 11:38
As long as we're not talking about pinning and welding, if you have a crescent wrench, you can easily do this yourself.

Skyyr
03-26-10, 11:42
As long as we're not talking about pinning and welding, if you have a crescent wrench, you can easily do this yourself.

Doesn't it require torquing to a specific value?

87GN
03-26-10, 11:44
20-30lbs. Frankly, I would use the Rocksett included, go a little more than hand tight, let the Rocksett...set, and not worry about it.

Skyyr
03-26-10, 11:49
20-30lbs. Frankly, I would use the Rocksett included, go a little more than hand tight, let the Rocksett...set, and not worry about it.

Thanks. Sorry to ask such specific questions in your review thread - I just wanted to talk to someone in the know while I knew they were online. =)

87GN
03-26-10, 11:54
No worries, I'm happy to answer your questions. If I gave you bad advice about the install, someone will probably correct me. Although I have the appropriate tools, that's how I installed the Blackout, and it seems to be staying on quite well.

Loki
03-26-10, 11:57
I used the vortex for years on my personal weapons before I started collecting suppressors.

Right after my first night shoot with the Blackout I swapped all my vortex flash hiders for the Blackout. It is very effective.

Showbart
03-27-10, 16:24
I have one of each coming for now. I may leave Vortex on 6.8s and Blackout on 5.56s for positive ID.

SHIVAN
03-27-10, 20:30
Yep, the Vortex is a great flash suppressor. The Blackout is the best flash suppressor. Or at worst tied for the best. Since I've never seen a weapon with a BE Meyers flash suppressor shoot, I can't say if their design bests the Blackout.

m4fun
03-27-10, 20:55
Thanks for the post.

Ditto on Shivan's post. It was an easy move to me from Vortex to Blackout due to getting an AAC suppressor. That tuning fork sound is unbeleivable!