PDA

View Full Version : Marlin Plant Closing in 18 Months

Freakdaddy
03-25-10, 19:55
Just found out this info and hate to be the bearer of bad news. Like me, I'm sure a lot of us cut our teeth with a Marlin. It says they are moving operations to another state...not sure where but maybe North Carolina where they are headquartered. I sincerely hope so as I'd hate to see no more Marlins ever built. I've been wanting to get a 39A for a while now so I may have to hurry up and get one prior to the 18 month disgruntled workforce build and prior to all stamped "Made In North Haven, CT" becoming outrageously priced.

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/business/north-haven-marlin-firearms-plant

Alpha Sierra
03-25-10, 20:05
I see a 357 Magnum lever gun in my future.

TXBSAFH
03-25-10, 20:13
They are not shutting down, they are moving to a lower cost of business state in the south.

Dienekes
03-25-10, 20:55
Uh oh. I started with a M80C bolt action .22 in 1954, gave my kids updated versions of the same gun, and was planning to lay in a M15Y single shot for the new grandson. It's basically the same action but kid-sized without being a toy like the Cricket. I have a reciever aperture sight that will mount up nicely and make a good accurate first gun. Sounds like I'd better make a call and get one in the pipeline sooner rather than later.

xrayoneone
03-25-10, 22:54
I have a Glenfield with 3/4 magazine tube and that thing is a tack driver. They're Marlin made for Montgomery Ward if anybody remembers those stores. No safety on it and I love just carrying it in the field to shoot varmints, deer or nothing in particular.

It would be nice to see Winchester come back to life but I don't see that happening. I saw a recent article that the Model 94 was making a come back but with an MSRP of $1200. I don't think that will be anyones first deer rifle at that price.

ForTehNguyen
03-25-10, 22:57
another company voting with its feet

skyugo
03-26-10, 00:58
bummer they're leaving their home state, but i can hardly blame. i've transplanted myself from the dying northeast to a place with potential as well.
my first rifle is a marlin 880ss. still got it in my safe :D tack driver.

mnagant762
03-26-10, 05:05
Bought my first Marlin the day I turned 18 it's a 25mn and shoots cloverleafs at 100yds. all day long. Hope they stay around for a while longer.

ThirdWatcher
03-26-10, 05:12
Hope they stay around for a while longer.

+1!!!

I bought my first Marlin, an 1894 .44 Magnum back in 1977 (new for about $119, if I recall correctly). Since then, I've bought a few of the octagon barreled models: 1894's in .357 Mag. and .45 Colt, an 1895 in .45-70 Govt., and an 1897 Texan in .22LR. It looks like I'll have to buy another to help support one of my favorite gunmakers. :)

decodeddiesel
03-26-10, 10:31
bummer they're leaving their home state, but i can hardly blame. i've transplanted myself from the dying northeast to a place with potential as well.
my first rifle is a marlin 880ss. still got it in my safe :D tack driver.

As have I. Didn't want my employment options to be limited to Pratt and Whitney/Electric Boat/Some Insurance Company so I moved away from CT.

Damn shame Marlin is leaving Connecticut, but I completely understand the move and in a lot of respects I endorse it. I was always proud of the rich heritage New England, and especially CT, had with respect to the firearms industry. It's just such a damn shame the politics of the area are forcing so much change. :(

I really think there is a Tea Party/Libertarian movement that is taking shape in that part of the country. I just hope they can steer the ship back on course before it's too late.