PDA

View Full Version : Glock19 + CTC LG-417= its just not fair...

Drew78
03-26-10, 13:27
Hey Gents-

Just came back from the range with an interesting finding.

Putting a Crimson Trace LG-417 on my Glock 19 was made shooting it even easier! It almost made me feel guilty seeing my rapid fire groups...:D

Its set up as a "defense" gun not a target gun.

I was concerned with the fact that the grip would become too wide and be uncomfortable. It was wider of course, but I acutally feel like I have a pretty solid grip with the addition of some "sand" grip tape in a few strategic places and its rock solid.

Just my thoughts on the set up. Anyone else running this style laser grip on their Glocks?

I was already pretty proficient running my Glocks with iron sights, but man is the laser a whole new world!

-Drew

M4arc
03-26-10, 13:31
I hope you have better luck with your LG-417s than I did. After using them once they crapped out on me and I had to send them back to CT.

Drew78
03-26-10, 13:33
What happened to yours? Did CT get you new ones or repair yours?

I did about 125 rds today, cleaned it and the laser grip still works...

M4arc
03-26-10, 13:49
Mine just stopped working. I tried new batteries but that didn't help. I called CTC and they gave me an RA# so I shipped them back. I don't know what will happen; if they'll replace them or fix mine.

Drew78
03-26-10, 13:54
Bummer...how many rounds before it crapped out?

Hopefully CT will take care of you...

four
03-26-10, 13:56
I have a set for my Sig P220 that would dim if I squeezed tightly.

I as well RMA'd them and CT fixed and returned them to me cleaned, calibrated and with two sets of extra batteries. .

Have to say, I love them and CT was very quick in turning them around.

M4arc
03-26-10, 14:00
I have a set for my Sig P220 that would dim if I squeezed tightly.

I as well RMA'd them and CT fixed and returned them to me cleaned, calibrated and with two sets of extra batteries. .

Have to say, I love them and CT was very quick in turning them around.

Awesome! I hope they're quick because I have a class April 24th & 25th and I'd really like to have them for the night shoot.

M4arc
04-09-10, 17:23
Drew78,

The big brown truck stopped in front of my house today and delivered a brand new set of LG-417s for my G19!

There was no letter or anything so I'm not sure what was wrong with my original but I'm not going to worry about it since they set me a new set.

I've got them installed and damn they do feel good! I had my first set installed on my nightstand G19 but I put these on my primary CCW and even with my little paws they don't feel bulky or uncomfortable...in fact they feel great.

I'm not sure I'm going to have a chance to check zero before I have to do some traveling so I'm sending my G19 down to Blackwater with va_dinger so he can test drive them for me.

I'll shoot them next weekend and let you know how they do.

D. Christopher
04-09-10, 17:48
Hi guys,

I just had a great experience with Crimson Trace customer support and got my LG-619 back today. I didn't want to hijack this thread so it's posted in Handguns and titled "Crimson Trace Customer Service - Awesome!" My experience with the product and company have been very, very good. (Sample of one and all, YMMV.)

Drew78
04-09-10, 17:53
Glad to hear it!

Are you sayin you are actually heading down to Blackwater to shoot with VA Dinger? If that's the case have fun! Man I hope to get a chance to shoot there sometime, looks way to fun!!!

I only put about 100 rds thru my nightstand g19 with the 417 on it. I need to work with it more to see if I want to get another for my EDC setup on my 19.

I am a bit worried that I will get lazy with them and lose the ability I have with my irons. I run an ameriglo lumanova square orange with a green trit lamp in the front and an ameriglo pro slant rear that is serrated and has a wide notch. It is an OUTSTANDING combo for me. I have the same set up on my primary 26 too. The CT seems to push my grip further down on the frame. Not crazy about that as the glock frame allows me to get a very high grip on the pistol as it relates to the bore; a big advantage for me. Let me know your thoughts once you get to wring em out on the range.

Take care-
Drew

Edit: I also just put a new surefire x300 on my nightstand G19 with the CT 417's. Hope I never ever need it for a bump in the night, but I feel its a pretty potent package!

M4arc
04-09-10, 17:57
Are you sayin you are actually heading down to Blackwater to shoot with VA Dinger? If that's the case have fun! Man I hope to get a chance to shoot there sometime, looks way to fun!!!

Larry Vickers is teaching a pistol/carbine class there this weekend and va_dinger is shooting the class. I can't make it so I'll give him my G19 so at least my gun can go! :D

Drew78
04-09-10, 18:11
Bummer for you, great for your pistola. PLEASE post back on va_dingers feedback using the laser. Especially if he is running it durring a course such as LAV's.

Later-

M4arc
04-09-10, 18:15
Bummer for you, great for your pistola. PLEASE post back on va_dingers feedback using the laser. Especially if he is running it durring a course such as LAV's.

Later-

Will do. I am going to try to hit the range early tomorrow morning, before my crew gets up and Big Boss has to go to work. Then dinger is going to run it on Sunday.

Drew78
04-14-10, 22:21
Will do. I am going to try to hit the range early tomorrow morning, before my crew gets up and Big Boss has to go to work. Then dinger is going to run it on Sunday.

Any updates on your/va_dinger's thoughts on this setup? :D

fourXfour
04-15-10, 00:17
I love mine on my 17. First time in years my glock hasn't chewed up th web of my hand. It is by far my most favorite gun to shoot now. The beavertail makes an amazing improvement for my chubby hands.

I bought a M&P 45 and I have not touched it much. I'm almost having buyers remorse and I might consider trading it for something.

M4arc
04-17-10, 10:20
Any updates on your/va_dinger's thoughts on this setup? :D

Dinger didn't end up taking it to BW with him but I've spent some time with them and here are some of my thoughts in no particular order:

- They're better than the older style; less bulky, on/off switch, more secure install method.
- It's easier to manually cycle the slide with the 417s. The older style got in the way.
- While they're much slimmer (width wise) than the older models they still make it difficult for me to get my thumb on the mag & slide release. Running a Vickers Tactical mag release is an absolute necessity and running an OEM slide release is highly recommended.
- On my primary CCW they are dialed in according to the manual. On my backup G19 they are WAY off!
- They're actually quite comfortable but still make the grip feel much bigger. I have small hands so this isn't something I'm happy about but have to live with.
- With the added bulk my trigger finger is placed in a position where it will rub the trigger guard. This might pose a problem after several hundred rounds and will need to be something I keep an eye on. I might need to remove them after the night portion of the Hackathorn class and run my G19 without them on Sunday.
- After the Hackathorn class I will probably install them on my backup G19 (the one that stays in the safe in the bedroom) and spend some time getting them dialed in. (I'll know more after next Saturday)

The bottom line is they are a huge improvement over the older style but far from perfect. Besides ergonomics (which I don't put a lot of stock in; like markm said, "let me know when they make handguns that feel like a C-cup") this is the other area where I feel the M&P kicks the shit out of Glock. If you want to carry full time with CTC grips installed the new LG-417s are a big improvement but still not as seamless and well executed as the M&P models.

I'm happy with them but not thrilled. This isn't a knock on CT at all. They did a great job given the constraints of the Glock grip. Glock had a wonderful opportunity with the Gen4 but unless CTC can pull off an engineering miracle I don't think they're going to come close to the M&P

Drew78
04-18-10, 06:50
I pretty much agree with all your comments. My 417's are on my "nightstand" Glock 19 equiped with an X300. I am not sold on ccw'ing with a laser on it, at least not for me. It has been a mental tug of war for me lately. I am just afraid I will lose what (little) skill I have built up with my iron sights and my point shooting by relying on the laser.

Thanks for the update, and enjoy the class next week!

-Drew

SeriousStudent
04-18-10, 20:01
M4arc, thank you very much for the pros and cons of the LG-417 unit. I appreciate the time you spent. I just picked up a used third generation G-17 to use as a trainer, and have a question or two.

I'm using a Surefire X300 with a DG-11 tape switch, so I think the Crimson Trace 617 might have some issues with that. I'd like to try a LG-417, so I could use the white light and/or laser, as the situation warranted.

Have you, Paul or Drew78 had an issue with the LG-417, and your holster? I run a Safariland 6005-836, and was wondering if it will work well, before I drop the coin on the laser. It looks like it might be too tight of a fit.

I did email Safariland, but have not received a reply yet. I'll try calling their customer service, but I'm honestly not sure how accurate their answer would be. I'd rather trusted somebody that is dialed-in on this site.

I did debate long and hard about switching platforms to the M&P. But I have three weapons, lots of mags and holsters, and 20 years of muscle memory to swap if I do. ;)

Drew78
04-18-10, 20:07
I carry in a Sparks VM2 and have no issues with fit in regards to the holster. I am not familiure with your rig so I cannot comment. The 417 is pretty thin on the sides of the grips.

Good luck!

-Drew

M4arc
04-18-10, 20:17
Hey SS,

I'll answer in more detail later but I think the LG-417 is going to have problems with your DG switch too. I'll try mine later (I can't now) and let you know. So far I've carried my G19 with LG-417s in my VMII and my Raven Concealment holsters without any issues. I'll try a couple Safarilands this weekend.

-M4arc

SeriousStudent
04-18-10, 20:23
Drew and M4arc - thank you both very much! I appreciate your answers. I'll let you know what I hear back from Safariland as well, if they reply.

Hmmmmm - RCS may just be the answer, if the 6005 does not work. I had thought about using a heat gun to widen it a bit, but I was afraid it would make the bail have problems. I could have RCS just build me exactly what I need.

Drew - that VM2 is sweet! I have one for when I want to IWB a full-size 1911. It just makes it disappear, and is comfy all day. Terrific piece of leather.

Thank you both, and have a safe week. :)

Drew78
04-18-10, 20:35
Hey SSI

M4arc is right I think about thr DG switch for the 300. I "think" the position of the DG switch is in the same general area as the activation switch for the 417. I don't think they will be compatible. I was wanting to set my 19 up with the same switch for my 300 but quickly realized it would be a bo go with the CTC installed. Now-having sais all of this-i could be wrong!

Later-
Drew

SeriousStudent
04-18-10, 21:02
Sigh - my bad. Reading is fun"duh"mental. :p You are absolutely correct.

It's the LG-617 that will not interfere with the DG-11, not the LG-417.

I doublechecked the Crimson Trace home page, and Stevie Wonder could see the difference between the two.

http://www.crimsontrace.com/Home/Products/GLOCK/tabid/196/Default.aspx

No wonder Safariland did not reply, they probably thought "What is this booger-eater talking about??"

I may just try it. They have a 30-day risk-free trial. Worse comes to worse, I'll either keep the LG-617 and turn that pistol into a house gun, or send the unit back.

Thanks, Drew - I appreciate your ability to read numbers, a skill I lack. :D

Heavy Metal
04-18-10, 21:37
Awesome! I hope they're quick because I have a class April 24th & 25th and I'd really like to have them for the night shoot.

I am interested in getting a set for my G-19 too.

I hope you have them back by this weekend so I can see how yours run next Saturday night.

EDIT: I see you got them back.

M4arc
04-26-10, 17:30
I am interested in getting a set for my G-19 too.

I hope you have them back by this weekend so I can see how yours run next Saturday night.

EDIT: I see you got them back.

DUDE! I should have let you try them out Saturday night. My bad. :(

Heavy Metal
04-26-10, 19:19
Not your fault dude, it was mine.

Not like I wasn't standing right next to you and capable of asking yet my easily distracted squirrel-like brain never formulated the thought.

SeriousStudent
04-26-10, 20:20
I received the LG-617, and mounted it on my G-17.

The switch for the Crimson Trace is "easily depressed." ;) It's going to take a bit of work to not have a laser ND with it.

It did actually fit in the Safariland 6005 holster, without resorting to use of the Dremel. (A device that strikes fear in the heart of both holster and owner. :eek: ) It was close, but it did fit.

I have a Blackhawk G-17 orange "dummy gun" on the way, and am going to drill a hole to mimic the receptacle for the trigger housing pin. This will allow me to mount my X300 with DG-11 light on the front rail, and the Crimson Trace laser grip. I can practice my switchology and my draw stroke, without fear of inadvertent loud noises.

The only other real concern I have, is being able to simultaneously not have a laser ND, and yet avoid limp-wristing the pistol. That's going to take some serious range practice, I think.

ROCKET20_GINSU
04-26-10, 21:28
I'll answer in more detail later but I think the LG-417 is going to have problems with your DG switch too

Any word on if this is confirmed? I would expect this to be the case as I postulate that the DG switch would probably rest right on top of the CT switch with enough tension to turn the CT into a constant on type laser (not ideal IMO), but I'm holding out hope becuase if it turns out that two are compatible together (which I doubt) it would be great for my purposes, so if anyone can weigh in I'd definiately appreciate the insight...Oh well may have to give the X400 a try :D

GU